Snarky Brides

AYG

Re: AYG

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_ayg-28?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:901acefe-4220-44e0-9f8f-64dc621c9168Post:829b8833-0bba-4354-a4c1-fef03c382f4d">Re: AYG</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't know.  I think Mery had a point.  Obviously, no one here is a misogynist.  But using words like "slut," "whore" and "bitch" -- all of which refer to women who have sex or opinions, or both! -- as insults does say something about the way our culture as a whole has historically viewed women.  You're free to disagree, of course, but<strong> I read Mery's point as largely academic </strong>and I don't feel that "grow up" is a particularly mature response.  You're right, Mara: people will say whatever they want to say, and it's dangerous to infer a specific meaning where none is intended.  But at the same time, I can't help but think it would be nice to live in a world where words like this weren't commonly used as insults.  I should mention: I think there's a difference between words like "cvnt" and words like "whore."  (We use male-oriented anatomical expletives too, so there's no inequalities there!)  It's the words that refer specifically to women who exhibit certain behaviors, that bother me, especially when they're used in context to denigrate women, and not just as random profanity.
    Posted by Celles[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I agree with this. As for the bolded, I think that's Mery's problem in general. She is pretty much always having an academic conversation when no one else is. I think she forgets it's a wedding message board and not a seminar class. 

</div>
    Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_ayg-28?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:901acefe-4220-44e0-9f8f-64dc621c9168Post:829b8833-0bba-4354-a4c1-fef03c382f4d">Re: AYG</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't know.  I think Mery had a point.  Obviously, no one here is a misogynist.  But using words like "slut," "whore" and "bitch" -- all of which refer to women who have sex or opinions, or both! -- as insults does say something about the way our culture as a whole has historically viewed women.  You're free to disagree, of course, but I read Mery's point as largely academic and I don't feel that "grow up" is a particularly mature response.  You're right, Mara: people will say whatever they want to say, and it's dangerous to infer a specific meaning where none is intended.  But at the same time, I can't help but think it would be nice to live in a world where words like this weren't commonly used as insults.  I should mention: I think there's a difference between words like "cvnt" and words like "whore."  (We use male-oriented anatomical expletives too, so there's no inequalities there!)  It's the words that refer specifically to women who exhibit certain behaviors, that bother me, especially when they're used in context to denigrate women, and not just as random profanity.
    Posted by Celles[/QUOTE]

I guess im just tired of people telling me what is ok and not ok to say.  If you dont like the words, dont use them.  I get the academic and historical argument, but I just dont give a shiit.
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_ayg-28?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:901acefe-4220-44e0-9f8f-64dc621c9168Post:df949430-841b-4585-a7ae-3e3434d3034c">Re: AYG</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: AYG : I think one reason I'm not snarky (as long as we're using that word), is it came up in AYG once that I was too mean.  And then it came up that I was too nice and that I didn't have a balance.  I don't know why, but I don't think I can find a balance.
    Posted by edielaura[/QUOTE]

This is what I don't get.  It's not about finding balance, it's just about being you. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_ayg-28?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:901acefe-4220-44e0-9f8f-64dc621c9168Post:cb10c180-297e-4209-881c-867d5f365ddc">Re: AYG</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: AYG : Who's this rupert chick who thinks her name is Anna?  (I kid. Because I saw this asked like 15 times last week. And one of those times was me.)  I do think with her sometimes "any attention is good attention."  She doesn't necessarily like being flamed, but she will keep doing stuff she gets flamed for, <strong>respond to flames a lot</strong>, etc.  and it seems almost like she must get something out of it. 
    Posted by djhar[/QUOTE]

<div>I see this a lot.  Also, I have to agree with Steph's thing from the superlatives.  If she had put Dot instead of Chels I highly doubt anything would have come of it, just the whole "Oh that whole Steph and Dot thing again."  It was weird that an explanation was required.  </div><div>
    </div><div>Oh look, here I am perpetuating the whole talking about Chels....</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_ayg-28?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:901acefe-4220-44e0-9f8f-64dc621c9168Post:0a44067d-2325-4d5b-b322-bd99d157f93c">Re: AYG</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: AYG : I agree with this. As for the bolded, I think that's Mery's problem in general. <strong>She is pretty much always having an academic conversation when no one else is. I think she forgets it's a wedding message board and not a seminar class. </strong>
    Posted by RupertPenny[/QUOTE]

Spot fucking on.
    panther
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_ayg-28?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:901acefe-4220-44e0-9f8f-64dc621c9168Post:0a44067d-2325-4d5b-b322-bd99d157f93c">Re: AYG</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: AYG : I agree with this. As for the bolded, I think that's Mery's problem in general. She is pretty much always having an academic conversation when no one else is. I think she forgets it's a wedding message board and not a seminar class. 
    Posted by RupertPenny[/QUOTE]

And if you mean by "academic" copying from some feminist textbook, then sure, thats a good explanation of her.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_ayg-28?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:901acefe-4220-44e0-9f8f-64dc621c9168Post:ba58d462-6d8c-48c6-bb73-23a9d7bac37c">Re: AYG</a>:
    [QUOTE]I know Rupert is Anna, but I want to know why she changed her sn. You still here, AnnaPenny? tell me.
    Posted by Steph+J[/QUOTE]

<div>I just felt like it. I've used the old SN for everything since I was like 11 so I wanted something slightly more anonymous. But I'm an AW so I put a picture of myself in my sig anyway. </div>
    Photobucket
  • CellesCelles member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited March 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_ayg-28?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:901acefe-4220-44e0-9f8f-64dc621c9168Post:b41a3aa8-0fc6-41ea-a4cc-0b16b9dad754">Re: AYG</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: AYG : I guess im just tired of people telling me what is ok and not ok to say.  If you dont like the words, dont use them.  I get the academic and historical argument,<strong> but I just dont give a shiit.</strong>
    Posted by Blueyed228[/QUOTE]

That's fair too.  :)

Like I said in another thread (somewhere, I don't remember exactly...), I don't judge people who do it.  I just try to avoid it myself, and make my feelings known enough that friends don't jokingly refer to me as "betch" or "hoar."  I hope I'm not obnoxious about it. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_ayg-28?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:901acefe-4220-44e0-9f8f-64dc621c9168Post:71870304-9607-496e-89e5-092820fb3743">Re: AYG</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: AYG :<strong><u> Didn't she get flamed awhile back for being snarky to new posters?  Maybe a year or so ago?</u></strong>  I'm pretty sure it was her because then I noticed that she was being especially nice trying to get to know everyone by asking questions. I think Edie is nice, but I'm still on the fence if that's who she is or if she's just trying to please everyone. Out of everyone that has been flamed in the past, she's the only one that I feel actually tries to change herself based on the flames. I just want Edie to be Edie.
    Posted by kodakitty[/QUOTE]

I think she got flamed because she was always super nice, and then did a complete 180 and it seemed really fake.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Look, this is a public wedding board with areas for chat about lots of stuff. Obviously there are lots of viewpoints and opinions If Mery, or anyone else, wants to go around finger-wagging because of the language used, fine. But I don't really think TK is the place to be getting all uppity about 'academic' points of contention. It's fine to argue and share your thoughts without being condescending.

And in the particular thread that Mery was referencing, that poster was being a cvnt. So there's that.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_ayg-28?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:901acefe-4220-44e0-9f8f-64dc621c9168Post:838e7d0a-1583-4778-b688-583d7fc62f43">Re: AYG</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: AYG : meh, she brought it on herself at the beginning. Then it got overdone, but <strong>she loves the attention anyway.</strong>
    Posted by Steph+J[/QUOTE]

I actually don't tbh. I agree with being sick of seeing my name on here. As much as I don't really care what people think of me, I'm really getting sick of being flamed for the same things over and over again. (That's probably more of a confession than a flame, but oh well).  I get that my views are out there and don't correlate with many people.  I'm also very sorry if I come off as obnoxious or unwilling to hear the other side, that is not my intention at all.  I'm just firm in my beliefs, even if they don't match up with what other people think.  It doesn't make me stupid or dumb, it just makes me someone who stands by what she thinks.  It doesn't make sense that people say I "never hear the other side" but then turn around and say I "flip flop all the time".  Well which one is it?  Flip flop or too stubborn to even listen to the other side?  I do listen to what other people think. I'm just firm in my beliefs and because I sometimes only have 5 minutes on here at a crack, I don't take the time to respond to everyone.

I also get that it seems like I'm on here a lot. I've explained myself multiple times, and people have said more than once that they don't believe me. Okay, fine.  But why keep bringing it up and beating a dead horse?  It's not going to change anything other than annoy people.  We don't hound other people for how much they are on here, especially those we know who are at work, so why this hate on teachers? A) It doesn't even affect you B) Just because one poster admitted to knotting when she wasn't supposed to doesn't mean every teacher on here multiple times during the day does it. 

Sorry for the wall-o-text... It's just all getting really old. This might be an out there thing to say (and if I'm wrong, I apologize) but I feel like people go through my posts with a fine tooth comb just looking for something remotely flameworthy to flame because I'm the one everyone flames. I'm just surprised you guys aren't sick/bored of it yet.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_ayg-28?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:901acefe-4220-44e0-9f8f-64dc621c9168Post:02a16044-754c-4e5b-80c1-9977391dc4bc">Re: AYG</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: AYG : That's fair too.  :) Like I said in another thread (somewhere, I don't remember exactly<strong><u>...), I don't judge people who do it.</u></strong>  I just try to avoid it myself, and make my feelings known enough that friends don't jokingly refer to me as "betch" or "hoar."  I hope I'm not obnoxious about it. 
    Posted by Celles[/QUOTE]

No, but you are amoung the few people who find the need to give us a damn lecture about stuff like that all the time.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Not gonna lie, I have felt compelled on multiple occasions to get off the computer and put something in the crockpot or dust something after reading all of the domestic threads : . This is the opposite of a flame, so feel free to flame me in return, but I really appreciate how much everybody has help me make it through my job insanity. I didn't want to make yet another thread about it, but I didn't get the internship I was counting on to pull me out of this crap, and it helps knowing I can vent to y'all about it. . /end Pollyanna.
  • And if we are being honest here, part of me thinks Mery only called people out for it in that thread because the poster was being a cuunt to me. and people were defending me.  Had it been someone else, I doubt she would have.  With our history and all.  
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_ayg-28?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:901acefe-4220-44e0-9f8f-64dc621c9168Post:c15bcc7b-5481-4e51-86f5-e845334aa090">Re: AYG</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: AYG : Just be consistent.
    Posted by 1covejack[/QUOTE]

<div>Meh...  IRL sometimes I am nice and sometimes I am not.  Do you know anyone who is snarky all the time or roses all the time?  That isn't real.  Real people have a range.  </div>
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Crap, I still can't post with paragraphs on my phone. Sorry. I think Mery and I line up pretty well philosophically and politically, but I've found that I just don't like having those type of discussions over the internet. I'll talk feminism until the sun comes up if I'm facetoface with someone, but it just doesn't work for me via text on a message board. I think it's too easy to misinterpret someone or assign them implications that aren't there. Not specifically with Mery, but in general.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_ayg-28?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:901acefe-4220-44e0-9f8f-64dc621c9168Post:e2d5d6e3-bc6d-4202-872b-78501bb350ce">Re: AYG</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: AYG : No, but you are amoung the few people who find the need to give us a damn lecture about stuff like that all the time.

I wasn't trying to lecture anyone; merely explain my opinion without being insulting about it. 
  • dmiller9274dmiller9274 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited March 2012
    I think this board is so dead and vacant of many real flames, so Chels is the easiest one to flame because she puts it out there that she has a different view point than the masses. There's a handful of times that I think she's been given some valid flames, but a lot of them are people just being shitty because they don't agree with her opinion. 

ETA apparently I'm captain save a chels today 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_ayg-28?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:901acefe-4220-44e0-9f8f-64dc621c9168Post:492e6dd0-1459-4e90-a45e-8787edd984f2">Re: AYG</a>:
    [QUOTE]I know we arent supposed to make looks comments but god dammit I hate chel's FI's goatee. I dunno what it is about it, but I just hate it. Just like I hated whit's H's mustache. Blagh.
    Posted by Nebb[/QUOTE]

Well this was unnecessary. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_ayg-28?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:901acefe-4220-44e0-9f8f-64dc621c9168Post:d9009240-9049-46f2-b482-450dd3876ed3">Re: AYG</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: AYG : That's true, but tone of their writing tends to be consistent. I think most of the posters on here have very consistent tone. They read the same, from when they are being sweethearts, debbie downers, bitches, and winning. I do know tone is hard to convey in written form, but most everyone here manages to do that.
    Posted by kodakitty[/QUOTE]

I agree with this and could list most regs into one of those categories.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Lol, I missed that Dot.  But jig is a known troll.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_ayg-28?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:901acefe-4220-44e0-9f8f-64dc621c9168Post:88e37329-ce6d-4069-acb9-f8f27715a675">Re: AYG</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: AYG : I agree with this and could list most regs into one of those categories.
    That could be a fun thread for a slow day
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_ayg-28?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:901acefe-4220-44e0-9f8f-64dc621c9168Post:ac55c22b-a32c-4b53-b9c6-b07c194fdf09">Re: AYG</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: AYG : That could be a fun thread for a slow day
    Posted by dmiller9274[/QUOTE]

lol, I was just thinking "I don't want to know." 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_ayg-28?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:901acefe-4220-44e0-9f8f-64dc621c9168Post:88e37329-ce6d-4069-acb9-f8f27715a675">Re: AYG</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: AYG : I agree with this and could list most regs into one of those categories.
    This would make an interesting thread.
  • Well clearly my thread ideas fall into the "winning" category.  YWIA.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to Re:AYG:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: AYG:In Response to Re: AYG : Meh... nbsp;IRL sometimes I am nice and sometimes I am not. nbsp;Do you know anyone who is snarky all the time or roses all the time? nbsp;That isn't real. nbsp;Real people have a range. nbsp;Posted by WiscisblissThat's true, but tone of their writing tends to be consistent. I think most of the posters on here have very consistent tone. They read the same, from when they are being sweethearts, debbie downers, bitches, and winning. I do know tone is hard to convey in written form, but most everyone here manages to do that. Posted by kodakitty[/QUOTE]That's a good point. I've been called naive, idealistic, unrealistic, too nice, and a whole host of other things, but not fake to my knowledge. I'm pretty universally happy, so I see what you mean about being consistent. Although I did have my one mean girl moment with the No Pumpkin sigs from the early P2 days. That girl just got me.
  • haha dot. Get with it. Jig is AATB's ae. ;)

• Blueyed228Blueyed228 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited March 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_ayg-28?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:901acefe-4220-44e0-9f8f-64dc621c9168Post:a027a048-6c09-4a89-85e2-6b9deb83631e">Re: AYG</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: AYG : I said that Friday and worried I may have insulted you by saying "Mery doesn't like Blue" but I guess that wasn't the case since you just said the same thing.  And it's not like I called you snotty or something really bad. 
    Posted by djhar[/QUOTE]

Im sure thats why she was all "Im anti-IVF" too in FFF.  But whatever, I dont care, I just think its funny.  Either that or im way off base.  I dont think about it too much.  Like I said, dont care.

ETA: I always think people are being passive aggressive.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    In Response to Re:AYG:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: AYG:I know we arent supposed to make looks comments but god dammit I hate chel's FI's goatee. I dunno what it is about it, but I just hate it. Just like I hated whit's H's mustache. Blagh.Posted by NebbWell this was unnecessary.nbsp; Posted by Seshat411[/QUOTE]
    You've been making it very clear lately you take issue with most things I've had to say so I don't know why you're surprised.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_ayg-28?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:901acefe-4220-44e0-9f8f-64dc621c9168Post:95ad9734-3086-4559-9987-9b2c84e0ae30">Re: AYG</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: AYG : Well now I feel even more lame because I did not know that.  I would also like to flame everyone who learned how to post GIFs in that thread because I can't.  Waaa.  ETA:  And while we are talking about shiit I don't know, Hylian is Jas Mod?  Did I understand that correctly? 
    Posted by Dot Dash[/QUOTE]

<div>Click and drag my friend.  It's THAT easy.</div><div>
    </div><div>...waiting for Mara to demo....</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards