Wedding Etiquette Forum

Irritations (rational/irrational)

Re: Irritations (rational/irrational)

• WW, that is exactly why I refuse to use super glue anymore. I HATE that feeling with a passion. I almost can't function until all of the stickiness is gone.

I would be PISSED if I thought my H would kill Baxter upon my death. It's really sad that even if someone else in your family besides H wanted your cats that your will would override their desire to care for another living creature.
  • Let me tell you guys a little story - my well loved friend had tons of friends and a plan, in writing for who would take her 5 cats.

At her death, no one took any of her cats. I was not in the written plan, but I had promised her that I would take care of them if all else failed. Her long time friends failed. I stepped in.

No, I won't put my animals in that position. Yes, it sounds cold and heartless. I don't think anyone would want the cat who craps in my kitchen sink and pees in my shoes. She's a menace to society. Or the blind cat. Both suffered through my friend's death and I have made the decision that they be euthed if both DH and I pass.

Everyone else will go, with their funds for their care, to their new owners. Who are aware of the cats and their needs and the funds that come with them. And, I keep current copies of vet records on file for them if something happens.

Last year was a living hell for me. I refuse to do that to someone else.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_irritations-rationalirrational?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:82457f66-befd-4895-923b-5034221d143aPost:6fd67f45-2b78-431c-8dba-9da576a4ff52">Re: Irritations (rational/irrational)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Irritations (rational/irrational) : Of my 7 I have two that are to be euthed, 5 that have homes, with money to go with them, and 2 horses with homes and money to go with them. <strong>Does anyone else have their animals and funds for them in their wills?</strong> No one would take the two I'd be euthing except maybe DH or my mom.
    Posted by StefffiC[/QUOTE]
    Um.  No.  Because my father would fight tooth and nail to get whatever rights to my cats there were in the event of my death, rather than let them die.  And yes, I know this because he already did it when my uncle died and his next of kin were going to euthenize his 14-year-old cat.  That cat was old and overweight and they predicted he'd die soon anyway, so they figured why bother rehoming him?  My dad took him and that cat lived four more years, very happy and spoiled and very, very loved.

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• angelstar975angelstar975 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited July 2012
    Frankly, I'd rather my pet be humanely PTS at the vet's office than shoved into a gas chamber with 15 other animals at a shelter. But I'd have to be damn sure that was going to happen before I'd choose to voluntarily put my pet to sleep. Granted, gassing isn't big up here, it seems to be more of a southern thing, NC especially. What is wrong with your 2 cats, Steffi, that you think they would be so difficult to rehome?

ETA - I just read your previous post. I don't know. I see where you're coming from that you don't want them to end up being gassed or something, but shouldn't there at least be the option of them being adopted before they're automatically euthanized?
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm irritated that I've eaten Wonton soup for lunch the past two days and I'm still craving it. 
    imageVacation
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_irritations-rationalirrational?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:82457f66-befd-4895-923b-5034221d143aPost:5bef4c7d-e968-43cf-b4be-f173240b4956">Re: Irritations (rational/irrational)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm irritated that I've eaten Wonton soup for lunch the past two days and I'm still craving it. 
    Posted by brandichamberlain[/QUOTE]
    Haha, I hate when that happens. 

Books read in 2012: 21/50

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_irritations-rationalirrational?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:82457f66-befd-4895-923b-5034221d143aPost:6888f968-4bcf-4a82-a23c-ca4be66e5787">Re: Irritations (rational/irrational)</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>It's near impossible to rehome an adult cat.</strong> At least their euthing the cat and not dumping it at a shelter. It's still carppy, though. I'm irritated at the sups at work. And, that I have a doctors appt tomorrow. I don't want to come in to work late.

Really?  I adopted an older cat, and my boss ONLY adopts older cats.  It is better for the cat to be in a no-kill shelter with the chance for a forever home than being killed for no reason.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• edited July 2012
    I can't believe how many people are freaking out over these two damn cats and this hypothetical situation.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_irritations-rationalirrational?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:82457f66-befd-4895-923b-5034221d143aPost:6e59730e-8e72-410f-8e00-c084229a88ff">Re: Irritations (rational/irrational)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Irritations (rational/irrational) : Um.  No.  Because my father would fight tooth and nail to get whatever rights to my cats there were in the event of my death, rather than let them die.  And yes, I know this because he already did it when my uncle died and his next of kin were going to euthenize his 14-year-old cat.  That cat was old and overweight and they predicted he'd die soon anyway, so they figured why bother rehoming him?  My dad took him and that cat lived four more years, very happy and spoiled and very, very loved.
    Posted by baystateapple[/QUOTE]

And, we've done the same for my friend's cats. I chose to make the decisions, however wrong others may judge me for them, prior to my death.

Having seen what can happen, if those decisions are not made, I'd rather know they met a peaceful end, than leave their future to whomever settles my estate or the county, if my death/house is a crime scene.
  • I'm irritated that I can't stop eating in general and I haven't been to the gym in months. Hopefully I can motivate myself to go tonight. I love working out once I get back into the swing of it... it's just those first few times that are hard.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Re: Older Cat Adoption

Lots of elderly people that have recently become a widow/er seek out to adopt older cats.

Lots of regular people adopt older cats. 

If you literally cannot find a single NK shelter in NC, then I would research options in nearby states.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_irritations-rationalirrational?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:82457f66-befd-4895-923b-5034221d143aPost:5db8a404-52db-4519-a77a-9fc1495c3f76">Re: Irritations (rational/irrational)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Irritations (rational/irrational) : Are your cats going to outlive you?  This might seem mean of me, but you could always just stop adopting now, and I presume you would outlive your current pets.  Problem solved. Also, if I were your lawyer and you told me to "euth" your cats, I wouldn't do it.  You're dead, you wouldn't know the difference.
    Posted by edielaura[/QUOTE]

I hope that I outlive my cats. However, my friend dropped dead of a heart attack with no warning to any of us. I believe in being prepared now.

I trust that my attorney will do the ethical thing. As will my executors, should the need arise.

Hopefully I'll live a long and happy life, though.

Enough on the unhappy subjects. :)
  • So based on your little story, what makes you so sure your designated people  will take the other cats? Because you have it in writing? Apparently so did your friend. Look how well that worked out for her.

You're not even giving them a chance.
  • I'm irritated that gin and juice is stuck in my head.  You're welcome.
    "Halloween may have loose women scantily clad...
    But Christmas has a pregnant virgin.

Way cooler." - anna.oskar
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_irritations-rationalirrational?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:82457f66-befd-4895-923b-5034221d143aPost:12527748-1d44-4578-a5f8-71896ebc996c">Re: Irritations (rational/irrational)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Also<strong> I have to admit I'm getting irritated by the word "euth".</strong> Just spell the whole word! In general, unnecessary abbreviations irritate me, but this one is my current irritation.
    Posted by LeiselEB[/QUOTE]

This is my irrational irritation.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_irritations-rationalirrational?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:82457f66-befd-4895-923b-5034221d143aPost:c338e94a-5c9c-4bca-9b74-c724ef7ff341">Re: Irritations (rational/irrational)</a>:
    [QUOTE]So based on your little story, what makes you so sure your designated people  will take the other cats? Because you have it in writing? Apparently so did your friend. Look how well that worked out for her. You're not even giving them a chance.
    Posted by Seshat411[/QUOTE]

There's a backup friend who will take the potentially adoptable cats if all else fails. She's taking my horses as well.

There's at least 3 people for each animal in my will.

I am quite prepared for where my animals can go.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_irritations-rationalirrational?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:82457f66-befd-4895-923b-5034221d143aPost:e5f15cfe-b7f4-428c-93b0-a94e3f7cd9e5">Re: Irritations (rational/irrational)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Irritations (rational/irrational) : And, we've done the same for my friend's cats. I chose to make the decisions, however wrong others may judge me for them, prior to my death. Having seen what can happen, if those decisions are not made, I'd rather know they met a peaceful end, than leave their future to whomever settles my estate or the county, <strong>if my death/house is a crime scene.
    </strong>Posted by StefffiC[/QUOTE]

What?
  • I don't care what Steffi has in her will about her cats. I just think her statement that it is nearly impossible to rehome adult cats is a load of crap. 

I'm irritated that we had a few blissful days of sunshine here in SF but now it's back to fog and wind. Stupid SF "summer". I hate having to wear a wool jacket in July.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • This thread got weird real fast. 

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_irritations-rationalirrational?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:82457f66-befd-4895-923b-5034221d143aPost:ad7f792b-06d3-476f-ae12-35ea9b70f969">Re: Irritations (rational/irrational)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't care what Steffi has in her will about her cats. I just think her statement that it is nearly impossible to rehome adult cats is a load of crap.  I'm irritated that we had a few blissful days of sunshine here in SF but now it's back to fog and wind. Stupid SF "summer". I hate having to wear a wool jacket in July.
    Posted by Bubbalub[/QUOTE]

Right now, fog and rains sounds blissful compared to 110 degree heat.  But I guess the grass is always greener on the other side, huh?  Unless, you have 110 degree heat and then the grass is just dead.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_irritations-rationalirrational?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:82457f66-befd-4895-923b-5034221d143aPost:d2dd567a-7c5e-4573-98e6-f845138c53e9">Re: Irritations (rational/irrational)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Irritations (rational/irrational) : Errr yea...I didn't catch that the first time. Huh?
    Posted by rachers1017[/QUOTE]

if the police are involved then in some cases they may call animal control if someone is not there to take control of your pets.

I'm really scarred of my animals ending up going through that situation again.
  • I'm irritated that my apartment complex lists the clubhouse as an amenity that "can be rented out for your next family get together, meeting or private party", yet when I went up there yesterday to ask about my BM using it to as a possible location for my shower I was told that they don't rent it out anymore. What the hell is it for then?
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • StefffiCStefffiC member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited July 2012
    Can we change the subject and agree to disagree?

I went through hell last year losing a friend and dealing with the animals. I don't want to do that to someone else. It's how I feel, and it's based on what I went through.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_irritations-rationalirrational?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:82457f66-befd-4895-923b-5034221d143aPost:fd7a841b-181c-4492-84a5-6364d0f5c33f">Re: Irritations (rational/irrational)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm irritated that my apartment complex lists the clubhouse as an amenity that "can be rented out for your next family get together, meeting or private party", yet when I went up there yesterday to ask about my BM using it to as a possible location for my shower I was told that they don't rent it out anymore. What the hell is it for then?
    Posted by CFM102012[/QUOTE]

<div>Ours has a full-blown fancy kitchen, and we can't use it for things like parties. I don't understand it. </div>
  • Oh FFS. A co-worker just pissed me the fuuuck off. His email ended with, "If you have a suggestion feel free to use my suggestion box located under my telephone. It even has a new liner."

Meaning the garbage. 
  • I'm also mad that my fortune cookie implied that I should be doing housework right now. 

I'd much rather spend time here and watching Law & Order: SVU.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_irritations-rationalirrational?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:82457f66-befd-4895-923b-5034221d143aPost:aeacbf24-bb08-479a-b066-985bbd0978a4">Re: Irritations (rational/irrational)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Irritations (rational/irrational) : if the police are involved then in some cases they may call animal control if someone is not there to take control of your pets.<strong> I'm really scarred of my animals ending up going through that situation again</strong>.

Wait. Are you scared you are going to get murdered or something? This is a weird way to think.
  • Erin, is that part of his normal signature, or was it directed specifically at you?  Either way, that's pretty douchey and totally unprofessional.
    "Halloween may have loose women scantily clad...
    But Christmas has a pregnant virgin.

Way cooler." - anna.oskar
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_irritations-rationalirrational?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:82457f66-befd-4895-923b-5034221d143aPost:6ece3bb3-dbb4-4211-8699-117d625a8c73">Re: Irritations (rational/irrational)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh FFS. A co-worker just pissed me the fuuuck off. His email ended with, "If you have a suggestion feel free to use my suggestion box located under my telephone. It even has a new liner." Meaning the garbage. 
    Posted by ErinG93[/QUOTE]

<div>What a douche.</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards