Wedding Etiquette Forum

Monday!

Re: Monday!

• button6004button6004 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited June 2012
    Morning everyone.  FI woke me up at 4:30 when he had a nightmare (he grabbed onto my arm and was shaking) and while he rolled over and went right back to sleep, I was wide awake.  One of many downfalls of having a heart condition- being startled gets my heart moving and it takes a long time to calm down.

Midge, you are going to be a beautiful bride.  I will be away most of this week and next, so I'll send congrats and good wishes your way now!

Froggie, I am so sorry for your loss. There are many reasons I cant stand facebook, but that is one.  It makes it harder to grieve (at least for me) when it is constantly in your face.

I only have to work today and tomorrow and then we are going home to Massachusetts for my sister's graduation and Operation: Find Wedding Venue.  I am so excited to see my "home kitties" and eat at my favorite restaurant ever.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Morning everyone!

We had a really productive weekend too and actually got everything checked off the to-do list. That never happens!

Midge - Congrats! Just enjoy the wedding week, it's fun. I don't remember being stressed or crazy that week, but by that time my mom had started to take the reins, so I think SHE was the crazy one and I was all "I did all the planning, it's time to sit back and watch it happen".

Bay - I'm doing C25K, kind of. I think the right way is to do it every other day, but I've never been good at doing things the right way. So, I maybe do it run once or twice a week. But, that just means it's taking me longer to go through the process because I'm still not skipping ahead or anything like that. And, if I feel like a certain week was really hard, I do it an extra time or two. Probably just committing to doing it every other day would be more efficient :-)

Froggie - I think it is "normal" for all the photo posting after someone dies, but I agree it's weird. A couple years ago, my SIL's bro-in-law was killed in Afghanistan. His FB page blew up with photos and tributes and such. He also had a girlfriend, and they were linked on FB. The only thing I kept wondering is "is she linked to him forever now?" How does that work?! In some ways, I think it's cathartic for family and friends to have a place to "visit" or "talk" to him, but I also wonder how much harder social media makes it for loved ones to try to move past it.
    Items for sale & Detroit vendor Reviews:
    www.detroitwedding.weebly.com
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • ok, question! If FILs are giving us $500 for rehearsal dinner, but My mom, FI, and I are doing all the planning who is the host on the invitiation?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_monday-7?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:13fef426-8a14-49ba-a70c-17d09ed61c15Post:2ad6fc30-4ea1-46d5-a196-0dbc66f7c262">Re: Monday!</a>:
    [QUOTE]ok, question! If FILs are giving us $500 for rehearsal dinner, but My mom, FI, and I are doing all the planning who is the host on the invitiation?
    Posted by kimandjosh22[/QUOTE]

Is $500 paying for the dinner in full? If so, I'd think your FILs are the hosts. If that's just part of the budget and others are contributing, I don't know...
  • Kim and Josh - I would list both families on the invitation.

Meegles, that's my plan.  If one day is too difficult, I'll repeat it.  I did okay yesterday for the first day.  It wasn't easy, but then again, I'm 30 lbs overweight so it's not really a surprise.

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• cfas, I think you should have someone hand you the Darth Vader mask when you are close to the end of the marathon so you can wear it when you cross the finish line. I think that would be awesome!! I truly love that pic of you.

I also hate the freaking hotel prices at the beach. Seriously. Because the beach isn't already expensive without shelling out tons of money to sleep on a bed that, no matter what the maids seem to do, will still have the feeling of lying on sand. I hate seeing how much my beach vacays cost. Of course when I'm down there sipping my frozen cocktails, I'm usually the one trying to stay another day. Still though, it irks me. Especially when the price goes up over a holiday.

Button, that sucks. As much as I love FI, that would drive me insane. Although, lately, I'm the one waking him up because of my dreams. I've been having some wierd ones lately.

I was telling my mom yesterday that I have no doubts and I'm not nervous about the wedding itself. It's getting everything done and making sure everything is ready. That's where I freak out. Otherwise, I'm okay with the actual wedding part of it.
  • Froggie, I believe the family can ask to have his FB page shut down, but I could be wrong.
  • Bay - I'm three weeks in (after working on it for about 3 months, HA!) and it's just starting to get tot he point where I don't want to die.

Funny story, though. H is a runner, so yesterday I was telling him how great my last two runs have been on the treadmill, but I'm still going so slow. So I asked him how fast he runs on the treadmill. He says "Oh, I get up in the 8's". My running speed? 4.5. No wonder I'm such a slow poke, for real runners my running speed is walking!
  • kimandjosh22kimandjosh22 member
    First Comment
    edited June 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_monday-7?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:13fef426-8a14-49ba-a70c-17d09ed61c15Post:a9e9cb70-f909-4a4d-8d51-c32580b12743">Re: Monday!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Monday! : Is $500 paying for the dinner in full? If so, I'd think your FILs are the hosts. If that's just part of the budget and others are contributing, I don't know...
    Posted by Meegles4[/QUOTE]

yes, FILs are intending that that is to pay for the RD in full.  its going to cost us $120 to rent a BBQ grill to cook food for that many people, and pricing out bugers, hot dogs, watermelon, salad supplies, and paper goods I have a feeling FI and I are going to have to throw $100-200 into it.
    I'll put both familes down as host, its irking me a little that I'm having to rely on remote help from my mother in planning when FILs live 30mins from the wedding site.

ETA: FI and I are also going to have to buy beer/wine...so $500 will probably cover about half the cost.
  • Morning ladies!

Midge - SQUEEE!

cfas - when is your halfie?

Dileni - Glad they caught him!  So scary.  I hope it doesn't keep people from the mall.  I love the eaton center and go there often when I'm in Toronto.  It's a really nice mall.  Stupid gangs.  Keep your shhiit away from public places.  

Froggie - Sorry for your loss

Musu - Yay!  Good luck!  

Ummm, I had a busy weekend, and I am taking off at lunch today to get more stuff done.  I forgot I have to cook dinner for a family at our church for tonight.  I wish they could ask people who don't have full time jobs to help out, and I wish I had a backbone and could say no when people ask me to do this type of stuff.   
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Kim - Can't you borrow a bbq or two? 
  • Cfas, are you doing the Rock and Roll half? 

Frog, I'm sorry. That's got to be hard for everyone involved.

Morning, folks. I have to go in and record my ASL final today. Translation: I have to write it, then haul my ass in to perform it.
  • Good Morning! I am still in shock at how well yesterday went! His grandmother was really nice to me, of course now i'm waiting for the other shoe to drop or something.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_monday-7?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:13fef426-8a14-49ba-a70c-17d09ed61c15Post:8e4a1084-d97c-4bd8-9f2f-e48d11c39100">Re: Monday!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Froggie, I believe the family can ask to have his FB page shut down, but I could be wrong.
    Posted by kimandjosh22[/QUOTE]

<div>I actually don't think they can. I feel like a girl died a while ago and her parent's wanted to have access to her FB and FB told them they couldn't have anything to do with her FB. I think the same would apply to having it deleted. </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_monday-7?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:13fef426-8a14-49ba-a70c-17d09ed61c15Post:408c0532-ea43-4919-aab4-a5856a4b899a">Re: Monday!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Kim - Can't you borrow a bbq or two? 
    Posted by Habs2Hart[/QUOTE]

we thought about that, but ended up deciding that renting a grill from the tent rental company was easier than trying to remotely track down bbq grills we could borrow and finding vehicles to transport them to and from the RD.
  • Morning!  My contacts are pissing me off.  I think I need to ask for a different brand when I go back to the doctor.  H and I had a nice weekend, I just wish it was longer. 

Good luck on your first day Musu!
    "Halloween may have loose women scantily clad...
    But Christmas has a pregnant virgin.

Way cooler." - anna.oskar
  • Morning!  Back in the office after our week in Europe!  It is 50 and raining in Boston.  Yuck!
  • Time for monday morning group meeting *sigh*.
  • Cfas, the RnR here was a lot of fun and really well run. 
    "Halloween may have loose women scantily clad...
    But Christmas has a pregnant virgin.

Way cooler." - anna.oskar
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_monday-7?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:13fef426-8a14-49ba-a70c-17d09ed61c15Post:ed34ce23-a649-4b8f-9b48-238e83be0f23">Re: Monday!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Habs/Special -- I'm doing the Rock and Roll Half on September 2nd. Habs -- Isn't yours in October?
    Posted by cfaszews25[/QUOTE]

<div>That one looks really fun. For years, my family spent Labor Day weekend at the beach. The music festival is great, and I have a memory of my father standing on the beach, dancing during a Steppenwolf concert. </div><div>
    </div><div>Have you been before? IIRC, they have one big stage at the south end of the beach and smaller ones along the boardwalk.</div>
  • Cfas, aaahh yes, I can't imagine wanting a mask over my face at that point, either. I'm by no means a runner so I don't generally think about stuff like that. I hope you kick serious ass in your half!!

Kim, I have to agree about what you said with the IL's being local and not helping. Both of our families are local, but our wedding and reception is where FI and his family are from. It's one city away from mine, but they know it far better than I do. Instead of helping me to keep things local, they just ask me why I didn't after I book something. For instance, why did you book a florist out on 309, when there are tons within minutes of the ceremony. Umm because I don't know any florists in this area, but thanks for letting me know that now. I love them dearly, but I swear they like to tell me things after the fact because they think it's fun.

Do you have any of those mobile BBQ businesses in your area? They've become pretty popular around here. From what I remember, the prices are not terribly high and you could probably feed everyone with the $500.
  • Rach, that's just a whole other level of wrong. :/ I'd feel like a jerk, but after too long of that, I'd probably have to delete that person or hide their updates so I could only go look when I wanted to.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_monday-7?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:13fef426-8a14-49ba-a70c-17d09ed61c15Post:70fbd74d-c4e4-4c1e-a2b0-73c460b1ba44">Re: Monday!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree about the FB thing. One of my sorority sisters passed away my junior year. Her mom has access to her FB and updates her profile picture, writes on the wall. It always gets me because A)it looks like she's yknow..active on FB, and B) It was more comforting to look at her old profile, how she left it. My good mood is out the window. Blah.
    Posted by rachers1017[/QUOTE]
    I know everybody handles grief differently, and far be it from me to judge, but...I'm sorry.  This is really upsetting.  I think I'd defriend her under those circumstances.

A girl my sister knew ran away a few years ago to Japan, ostensibly to commit suicide.  Her family went to Japan to find her, but she never turned up, and they never found her remains.  Nobody knows what happened to her.  Her sister still posts on her FB wall and updates her page all of the time.  I was never friends with her, but my sister says it's really disconcerting.

Books read in 2012: 21/50

• Guys, I hate being a broke college student. Please tell me it gets better when I start my career. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_monday-7?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:13fef426-8a14-49ba-a70c-17d09ed61c15Post:349dec0d-40b5-448a-9466-88d3792e529a">Re: Monday!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Cfas, aaahh yes, I can't imagine wanting a mask over my face at that point, either. I'm by no means a runner so I don't generally think about stuff like that. I hope you kick serious ass in your half!! Kim, I have to agree about what you said with the IL's being local and not helping. Both of our families are local, but our wedding and reception is where FI and his family are from. It's one city away from mine, but they know it far better than I do. Instead of helping me to keep things local, they just ask me why I didn't after I book something. For instance, why did you book a florist out on 309, when there are tons within minutes of the ceremony. Umm because I don't know any florists in this area, but thanks for letting me know that now. I love them dearly, but I swear they like to tell me things after the fact because they think it's fun. Do you have any of those mobile BBQ businesses in your area? They've become pretty popular around here. From what I remember, the prices are not terribly high and you could probably feed everyone with the $500.
    Posted by futuremrsbruno[/QUOTE]

There are some mobil BQ places in the area, but they quoted us at $700-800...before alcohol, plus their servers expect tips.  Fortunately my aunt and uncle are local so they're helping us out with finding local suppliers for burgers, etc. so my dad, uncle, and grandpa are going to man the grill (they're acutally excited about that and already have matching outfits planned!).
  • Aleigh - I won't lie to you...

Cfas - Yup!  It's in October.  I was going to do one in Toronto in September, but my brother is going to run it with me, and he's running an Iron man in Mnt Tremblant, Quebec in August and won't have recovered enough, so I switched it to October.  Besides, it's in Niagara which is really pretty in October and the air quality will be better. 
  • I went to the doctor a couple months ago and since I'm on my parent's insurance still, my mom said she would pay for it. Well she hasn't paid for it yet so my account is locked and I can't go get my physical and TB test required for my new job. I'm really not in the mood to call her and ask her why she hasn't paid for it. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_monday-7?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:13fef426-8a14-49ba-a70c-17d09ed61c15Post:6ec2a4bb-e022-4f27-84f4-39aec8ed2a59">Re: Monday!</a>:
    [QUOTE]How was Europe MP?
    Posted by aleighk1[/QUOTE]

Very busy.  It was great to see it all (London and Paris), and the weather was ah-mahzing!   Really it was 75 and sunny the entire time.  I got sunburnt.

Now it's back to reality.  Trying to catch up on everything.

Bay, did you end up figuring out your housing situation?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards