Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

FFF

Re: FFF

• Options
    I've been teased for being ghostly white. On these boards even. It's never bothered me, but it's happened.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-92?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f35d47d4-2530-4f84-acc1-f7c92d62677bPost:62074c60-f755-455f-81b8-2624ca498200">Re: FFF</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: FFF : It's good that you actually do something about suspicious spots. SO MANY of my friends have moles that I can say with some certainty (just from my experience) are at least precancerous, and they know the spots aren't normal. Yet they refuse to go get them checked out. And there's a pretty good dermatology center in my area that does free skin cancer screenings four times a year. 
    Posted by LeiselEB[/QUOTE]

Really? I don't get that. I don't get how something new can pop up and people don't do something about it.
    My friends BF noticed a lump in one of his testicles but never said a word about it to anyone and didn't get it checked out.  She noticed it eventually and made him go to the doctor.  Turns out it was cancerous and he had to have the whole testicle removed.  If he had just gone in when it was small, they woulda been able to probably save it.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-92?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f35d47d4-2530-4f84-acc1-f7c92d62677bPost:003134cd-0a46-49e1-8ad8-eb60e819a485">Re: FFF</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: FFF : Sorry if this is really gross and/or graphic. I had a mole on my lower back that was partially torn off when I was younger. My doctor noticed it when I went in to be treated for pleurisy and sent me to a dermatologist. When she saw it she gasped and said "Sorry, but that looks really bad! That needs to go as soon as possible!" so I was freaking out that it might have been cancerous. A punch biopsy and 5 stitches later I found out it wasn't, but it was still traumatic enough to keep me in 75spf sunscreen from that point on. Not to mention I had never had stitches before, have a huge needle phobia and they had "teenage Ashley from the vocational school" attempt to take out my stitches. After stabbing me several times with the scissors she started crying and fled the room. Someone else had to come finish and she just snipped them right out.
    Posted by MeganLindsay5685[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>That doctor's reaction seems really dramatic! I'd be freaked out, too. That's great it was benign. Yeah, I've gotten so used to stitches and local anesthetic by now, but it definitely sucked the first time. </div><div>
    </div>
  • Options
    Has anyone ever gotten that Zoom whitening done at the dentist? I just got a Living Social deal in my inbox for it and it seems like a pretty good deal. I would love to have my teeth whitened before the wedding.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-92?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f35d47d4-2530-4f84-acc1-f7c92d62677bPost:9bb2b39a-2e47-43d1-b2ca-d72326f719df">Re: FFF</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: FFF : This actually reminds me I have to schedule for one of those full body scans. I couldn't during the winter because of timing but I really shouldn't keep putting it off.
    Posted by Megbo2012[/QUOTE]

<div>Have you had one before? They're pretty easy - at least mine have always been. I've heard horror stories from other people, though.</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-92?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f35d47d4-2530-4f84-acc1-f7c92d62677bPost:5cb21185-9cf3-4d1f-a935-6f1a383bff0c">Re: FFF</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: FFF : Really? I don't get that. I don't get how something new can pop up and people don't do something about it. My friends BF noticed a lump in one of his testicles but never said a word about it to anyone and didn't get it checked out.  She noticed it eventually and made him go to the doctor.  Turns out it was cancerous and he had to have the whole testicle removed.  If he had just gone in when it was small, they woulda been able to probably save it.
    Posted by chelseamb11[/QUOTE]

<div>Thats so scary.  I noticed a lump a year ago and had all of the ultrasounds and whatever and they said it's fine and would go away.  A year later and hey now it's bigger wooo!  I should go back...</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-92?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f35d47d4-2530-4f84-acc1-f7c92d62677bPost:55e2f802-d2e7-4a2b-9498-512ef0d41889">Re: FFF</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: FFF : Have you had one before? They're pretty easy - at least mine have always been. I've heard horror stories from other people, though.

<div>I haven't yet, but eventually I will go. A lot going on in the next few months, haha.</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-92?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f35d47d4-2530-4f84-acc1-f7c92d62677bPost:80a7bc56-9632-40a3-9087-f54f31bc082f">Re: FFF</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks, Chelsea.   One of my big irritations is people who insist tanning is healthy despite all evidence to the contrary. "It's healthy, because you need Vitamin D."  "It prevents me from burning." "It's not unhealthy in moderation."  It really irritates me. There is so much research that shows otherwise.  If you want to tan, tan, but don't try to make it sound like you don't think it could possibly hurt you.
    Posted by djhar[/QUOTE]

<div>That drives me absolute nuts, too. I used to just bite my tongue when people would say something like that to me, but now I start spewing statistics at them. Some people use that kind of stuff as an excuse, but I think some people honestly don't know - they get their tanning information from tanning salons, so of course they aren't getting any safety information. </div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-92?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f35d47d4-2530-4f84-acc1-f7c92d62677bPost:a0a941cb-b9ef-4230-9754-ed889f58b2e3">Re: FFF</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: FFF : I haven't yet, but eventually I will go. A lot going on in the next few months, haha.
    Posted by Megbo2012[/QUOTE]

<div>That's understandable :) I'm the worst at just making appointments for things. I don't know why, but I always put things off and act like I have no time for anything, when I could get it out of the way so quickly if I just did it, ya know?</div>
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-92?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f35d47d4-2530-4f84-acc1-f7c92d62677bPost:80a7bc56-9632-40a3-9087-f54f31bc082f">Re: FFF</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks, Chelsea.   One of my big irritations is people who insist tanning is healthy despite all evidence to the contrary. "It's healthy, because you need Vitamin D."  "It prevents me from burning." "It's not unhealthy in moderation."  It really irritates me. There is so much research that shows otherwise.  If you want to tan, tan, but don't try to make it sound like you don't think it could possibly hurt you.
    Posted by djhar[/QUOTE]

<div>I think the vitamin D point is valid. Seriously like everyone in the western world is vitamin d deficient and it causes a lot of health problems, and some people say vitamin D deficiency inhibit the body's ability to fight cancer. I don't think it's really a good excuse to go to the tanning bed 5 times a week, but I make a point to spend at least 20-30 minutes a day out in the sun and I am still vitamin D deficient and have to take supplements. </div>
    Photobucket
  • Options
    lbarr, my BF did Zoom and she loved it. 
  • Options
    I think May is skin cancer awareness month or something. H is a pasty pale man who used to be a redhead (it's now more of a light brown--not dyed). He never wore sunscreen before he met me, and the majority of his freckles are connected now.

His ass is getting dragged to one of the many free skin cancer screenings this month. He doesn't want to pay the copay to go see my dermatologist.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-92?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f35d47d4-2530-4f84-acc1-f7c92d62677bPost:90b6a32c-fa99-4022-8e1b-063114fa9cac">Re: FFF</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: FFF : I think the vitamin D point is valid. Seriously like everyone in the western world is vitamin d deficient and it causes a lot of health problems, and some people say vitamin D deficiency inhibit the body's ability to fight cancer. I don't think it's really a good excuse to go to the tanning bed 5 times a week, but I make a point to spend at least 20-30 minutes a day out in the sun and I am still vitamin D deficient and have to take supplements. 
    Posted by RupertPenny[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>It's a valid reason to tan for some people, but a lot of people can get vitamin D from just their usual activities. Even if we're inside by a window, or driving, we're getting sun exposure. Some people may have more of a deficiency than others, but even if tanning is recommended by your doctor as a treatment for that deficiency, they usually suggest only being in a tanning bed for like 3 minutes at a time, and not that often - the goal isn't to get a tan. That's the difference I see, if that makes sense. </div><div>
    </div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-92?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f35d47d4-2530-4f84-acc1-f7c92d62677bPost:cb8f37cb-4117-4be8-94c9-6601f8bee28d">Re: FFF</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: FFF : I had someone mail me an 'invoice' asking what they should pay. They mailed me our MSDS sheet thinking it was an invoice.  Um, no.<strong> I kept it in my 'need a laugh' folder.</strong>
    Posted by ErinG93[/QUOTE]

I'm way behind, but holy shiit, I have one of these too! It is also full of invoice related humor.
  • Options
    I have a vitamin D deficiency and my doctor did not tell me to tan as part of the treatment. I just have to take really high amounts of a vitamin D supplement daily. I'd be shocked if a doctor told someone to get in the tanning bed in order to raise their vitamin D level.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-92?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f35d47d4-2530-4f84-acc1-f7c92d62677bPost:635cdcd0-ea1b-49d2-86f3-62764e7dedf3">Re: FFF</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have a vitamin D deficiency and my doctor did not tell me to tan as part of the treatment. I just have to take really high amounts of a vitamin D supplement daily. I'd be shocked if a doctor told someone to get in the tanning bed in order to raise their vitamin D level.
    Posted by angelstar975[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I think it's rare, but I know some have recommended it - probably not for people who have any predisposition to skin disease, though.</div><div>
    </div><div>I remember a while back Dr. Oz had some segment recommending that people start tanning, but he went into no detail whatsoever about who should or shouldn't do that, or how often they should tan, any dangers, or anything. It really bothered me that such a public figure would give such terrible advice.

</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-92?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f35d47d4-2530-4f84-acc1-f7c92d62677bPost:090dbe0e-7562-4d14-bf5a-8008c5ea652f">Re: FFF</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: FFF : It's a valid reason to tan for some people, but a lot of people can get vitamin D from just their usual activities. Even if we're inside by a window, or driving, we're getting sun exposure. Some people may have more of a deficiency than others, but even if tanning is recommended by your doctor as a treatment for that deficiency, they usually suggest only being in a tanning bed for like 3 minutes at a time, and not that often - the goal isn't to get a tan. That's the difference I see, if that makes sense. 

<div>I didn't say everyone should hit the tanning bed, I just said that the concerns about vitamin d deficienies are valid. I even specifically said I take supplements, I never use a tanning bed. I've also read that getting sunlight through glass doesn't work for vitamin d production, the light has to hit your skin directly. And a lot of people aren't outside longer than it takes to get from their front door to their car so it is a real problem. </div>
    Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-92?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f35d47d4-2530-4f84-acc1-f7c92d62677bPost:a06f83dd-5989-4fe1-b527-c466f4074516">Re: FFF</a>:
    [QUOTE]I tried to circumvent my pastiness with the tan towels.  That was a rousing success, with the stripes and the blotches and my general ineptitude.  I will stick to looking like Powder. Gotta run, chiquitas.  See ya later!
    Posted by EaglesBride2012[/QUOTE]

<div>Those are the worst! Bare Minerals make a good self tanner. </div><div>
    </div><div>See ya!</div>
  • Options
    Speaking of burns, I just splashed near-boiling water on my hand and boob. Fucking fantastic.
  • Options
    Ugh, that sucks Special. I hate burns, they hurt like a biitch. How bad is it?
  • Options
    aragx6aragx6 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-92?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:f35d47d4-2530-4f84-acc1-f7c92d62677bPost:dacb66e2-8efa-4fa9-a698-1b2e823f8407">Re: FFF</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: FFF : I think it's rare, but I know some have recommended it - probably not for people who have any predisposition to skin disease, though. I remember a while back Dr. Oz had some segment recommending that people start tanning, but he went into no detail whatsoever about who should or shouldn't do that, or how often they should tan, any dangers, or anything.<strong> It really bothered me that such a public figure would give such terrible advice.
    </strong>Posted by LeiselEB[/QUOTE]

From what I've seen, he does that <em>a lot</em>.
    Lizzie
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-92?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f35d47d4-2530-4f84-acc1-f7c92d62677bPost:67664c4f-bb1f-4029-b491-4c0935e60306">Re: FFF</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: FFF : I didn't say everyone should hit the tanning bed, I just said that the concerns about vitamin d deficienies are valid. I even specifically said I take supplements, I never use a tanning bed. I've also read that getting sunlight through glass doesn't work for vitamin d production, the light has to hit your skin directly. And a lot of people aren't outside longer than it takes to get from their front door to their car so it is a real problem. 
    Posted by RupertPenny[/QUOTE]

<div>Windows only block one type of UV ray, and both types can spur vitamin D production. I think it makes more sense to get more vitamin D through supplements or diet rather than by tanning. </div><div>
    </div><div>I guess I misread your post then. I know you said you take supplements, but I read it as though you suggested tanning was a better solution. </div>
  • Options
    aragx6aragx6 member
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-92?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:f35d47d4-2530-4f84-acc1-f7c92d62677bPost:0da2952a-ca6a-4e29-b6db-858180d8f964">Re: FFF</a>:
    [QUOTE]Speaking of burns, I just splashed near-boiling water on my hand and boob. Fucking fantastic.
    Posted by specialk84[/QUOTE]

Jeez, I hope you're alright. That's what you get for cooking naked. :P
    Lizzie
  • Options
    Bad enough that I screamed and scared the bejeesus out of my husband. It hurts like a bitch, though the skin isn't peeling or anything. my left ring finger got the brunt of it, so I'm sitting here with my hand in a bowl of cold water. 

I ripped my shirt off immediately, so my boob seems okay. H had the brilliant idea to get my rings off, and it looks like I did that just in time. My fingers are swollen.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-92?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f35d47d4-2530-4f84-acc1-f7c92d62677bPost:cd7f42cc-2265-48ef-893f-0a4afb2c1c39">Re: FFF</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: FFF : From what I've seen, he does that a lot .
    Posted by aragx6[/QUOTE]

<div>That sucks. I've never watched his show, but the few segments I've seen of him on Oprah seemed to have pretty good advice. I was hoping the clip I saw was an isolated incident.</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-92?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f35d47d4-2530-4f84-acc1-f7c92d62677bPost:b641e0a0-f28c-40d3-945b-9c45b0af6081">Re: FFF</a>:
    [QUOTE]Bad enough that I screamed and scared the bejeesus out of my husband. It hurts like a bitch, though the skin isn't peeling or anything. my left ring finger got the brunt of it, so I'm sitting here with my hand in a bowl of cold water.  I ripped my shirt off immediately, so my boob seems okay. H had the brilliant idea to get my rings off, and it looks like I did that just in time. My fingers are swollen.
    Posted by specialk84[/QUOTE]

<div>Ouch! I hate being burned, I feel your pain.</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-92?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f35d47d4-2530-4f84-acc1-f7c92d62677bPost:dacb66e2-8efa-4fa9-a698-1b2e823f8407">Re: FFF</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: FFF : I think it's rare, but I know some have recommended it - probably not for people who have any predisposition to skin disease, though. I remember a while back Dr. Oz had some segment recommending that people start tanning, but he went into no detail whatsoever about who should or shouldn't do that, or how often they should tan, any dangers, or anything. It really bothered me that such a public figure would give such terrible advice.

Dude...all those TV "doctors" give horrible advice.  The Dr. Oz/Drew/Phil trifecta needs to fall off a fucking cliff.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    I just forgot that this was originally FFF and not an afternoon thread. Made me chuckle.

I'm off to a meeting - adios!
  • Options
    aragx6aragx6 member
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-92?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:f35d47d4-2530-4f84-acc1-f7c92d62677bPost:0e4b54c5-e96f-40b6-b99b-d309f54e0052">Re: FFF</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: FFF : That sucks. I've never watched his show, but the few segments I've seen of him on Oprah seemed to have pretty good advice. I was hoping the clip I saw was an isolated incident.

More than even bad advice like your example I see him give a lot of incomplete information. I don't watch the show often because he annoys the crap out of me, but I've flipped through on random sick days and it's pretty clear how much he dumbs down for his audience -- which is pretty sketchy when we're talking about medicine and health.
    Lizzie
  • Options
    I burned my lady bits in the tanning bed once. That wasn't comfortable. The burned (read: itchy) butt crack is also fun.

This is why I no longer tan in tanning beds. That and skin cancer is scary. And Rosie would hit me.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards