Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Looking for Something Old, Something New, Something Borrowed, Something Blue? START HERE!

Re: Looking for Something Old, Something New, Something Borrowed, Something Blue? START HERE!

• Not sure if this is a dumb question... But what's with the coins and putting a sixpence coin in your shoe?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Something old: Im attaching a special pin my mom had from when i was little to the ribbon of my bouquet

Something new: shoes, dress, jewelry

Something borrowed: either a blusher, anklet, or handbag

Something blue: penn state garter.... he went to college there and my parents brainwashed me to be a penn state fan since i was a baby.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_looking-something-old-something-new-something-borrowed-something-blue?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:bc01edc6-f6b1-467a-ab06-33aa5f1b6bbcPost:13448cb6-97dc-48fb-ab9e-97c0e48731ce">Re: Looking for Something Old, Something New, Something Borrowed, Something Blue? START HERE!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Just my ideas so far: Something Old:I have my grandmas original wedding set and am getting the diamonds put into a ring to wear on my right hand ( I will keep passing this down).  Something New: My dress, veil, shoes Something Borrowed: Still working on this.  Something blue: I like the undies Idea, or finding some vintage pin on Etsy sounds amazing (Thanks for the Ideas!)
    Posted by i3rooke[/QUOTE]

another great place to look for old pins is antique/junk stores around your area if you don't have a blue yet.  Thats where i got mine :)

Old: my great aunt's vintage crystal necklace/earring set
    new: dress
    borrowed: Dunno yet, maybe a veil?
    blue: a star shaped pin, hopefully shoes if i find some i like :)
  • Something old - a handkerchief from one of my grandmothers and a broach in my boquet from my other grandmother

Something new - my dress and the tussy mussy my boquet is in

Something borrowed - I don;t know yet (I still have a year to figure that out)

Something blue - the cameo from my children and the pendant FH gave me

My BFF gave me a sixpence for my shoe
    Wedding Countdown Ticker PhotobucketPhotobucket June 2012 Siggy Challange - Shoes
  • Old: I will carry a handkerchief that was my grandmother's. 
    New: Dress and veil
    Borrowed: The pearl earrings my mom wore when she married my dad 41 years ago
    Blue:  A University of Florida garter (orange and blue)--I'm an alum.
  • edited December 2010
    Can the sapphires in my engagement ring count as my something blue??
  • OLD- My engagement ring what my FH's great, great grandmothers
    NEW- Dress, ect.
    BORROWED- Working on this one
    BLUE- garter...I like the panty idea ;)
  • Old: Pearl bracelet my dad got my when I was little
    New: Dress, etc
    Borrowed: flowers from my mothers wedding bouquet
    Blue: shoes

A coin in the shoe is a tradition in some cultures for good luck, I can't remember which one though.
    Trying to Conceive Ticker Anniversary
  • Something old - Not sure
    Something Borrowed: A tiara my friend used at her wedding
    Something Ble: an old classic car ....So Excited to find the right one..
  • Old: TBD New: Dress Borrowed: Sister's veil (saved $200!!) Blue: I LOVED David Tutera's idea for the country bride- one blue flower in her bouquet of white and yellow. Even though it's not the colors of our wedding, it is very cute and original!
  • Something Old: Same as borrowed
    Something New: My dress, veil, etc
    Something Borrowed: don't know yet!
    Something Blue: My shoes!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Something old = brooch purchased at antique shop to be pinned to my dress and bouquet

Something new = shoes or lipstick

Something borrowed = bracelet loaned by matron of honor

Something blue = garter I'm making myself

My fiance's mother also offered to let me use the same sixpence that she and my fiance's sister both used at their weddings...very touching!  It will be both old and borrowed, but I would feel like I was copping out if I had any of the items doubling up LOL.
    Whoever said it was supposed to be happily ever after is a big fat liar.
  • Something old: I made a bouquet out of vintage brooches and earrings, my shoes also have vintage earrings that I converted and attached. I'll also wear a vintage rhinestone bracelet.

Something new: My dress, veil and shoes are new

Something borrowed: sort of clueless on this one.. Maybe I'll borrow some bobby pins for my hair..

Something blue: The earrings on my shoes are blue and there are also blue flowers in my bouquet and I'll have light blue nail polish on my toes.
  • the something Borrowed seems to be the hardest- I HAVE NO CLUE?
    new- dress, veil, shoes
    blue- VS "Just married" panties- too cute!
    old- grandmother's hankerchief (it also has blue) I guess this could be my borrowed too, but then that would mean I would have to give it back to my Dad! lol
    Cool
    Ashley & Andrew
  • Old- Not sure yet. Mom said she'd figure this out for me.
    New- Practically everything. (Dress, under garments, manicure, nylon, etc.)
    Borrowed- My mom's pearl necklace and bracelet that my dad bought her 10 years ago, which I helped pick out.
    Blue- Probably shoes, toes and garter.
  • edited August 2011
    Old: The small bible my maternal Grandmother carried on her wedding day.
    New: My plan is to get something very new that day... Shopping is very close to the church
    Borrowed: My FMIL has a hankerchief she will let me borrow 
    Blue:garter and thats one of the colors so our flowers will be blue and well as MOH's dress and BestMan's vest and tie 
  • Old- great-grandmother's diamond earrings
    New- dress, veil, and shoes
    Borrowed- FSIL's crinoline slip
    Blue- aquamarine bracelet from FI
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyName Ticker
  • Something Old - my mother's pearl necklace and earings.
    Something New - my wedding dress / veil / tiara
    Something Borrowed - will borrowing a broach from my FMIL to make my pearl bracelet and also using her wedding dress belt to use as ribbon for my flowers. 
    Something Blue - DYI'ng my shoes with blue swarowski stones, and also have blue flat shoes for the reception if my feet start to hurt with my heels.
    October 2012 Sig: E-Ring
    Photobucket
    In Progress Bio Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • the bouquet purse is perfect for something new & blue :)
  • Something old- my grandmother's butterfly broach.
    Something new- my dress.
    Something borrowed- TBD
    Something blue- probably a blue garter.

Anniversary
  • Something Old - maybe my maternal grandmother's wedding ring
    Something New - dress/ shoes
    Something Borrowed - jewelry from my godmother
    Something Blue - undies

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Old/Borrowed: My great grandmother's Italian horn to be pinned to my bouquet
    New: Dress
    Blue: NY Yankees Garter
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My wedding isn't until Sept 2012 but things seem to be falling in place to already know most of these...

Something old - My mother's dress (my sister is altering it and making it not only fit, but taking the sleeves off and making it more modern)
    Something new - Buying red shoes :) Been excited about this from the get go lol
    Something borrowed - A friend and mentor that I really look up to is lending me her veil
    Something blue - this is the only one I'm not sure of... ideas anyone? lol
  • Something Old- photo of my nanny that will be attached to my bouquet
    Something New- dress
    Something Borrowed- no idea
    Something Blue- undies
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Old- my e-ring that was my mother's
    New- my dress
    Borrowed- I am borrowing the necklace from my MOH that she wore on her wedding day that I gave to her when I was her MOH last year.
    Blue- I am surprising my FI with a San Diego Chargers garter.

• Something Old: my engagement ring was given to my Granny by my Papa on their 50th wedding anniversary

Something New: my dress, shoes & jewelry

Something Borrowed: a 1976 penny from my Grandpa/Dad's coin collection for my shoe

Something Blue: a University of Florida garter my fiance's favorite team
  • Something old: My mother's flower hairpiece she wore in her wedding
    Something new: my garter, dress, veil, earrings
    Something borrowed: a bracelet from my friend
    Something blue: my shoes!!

I'm also wearing a necklace that my parents gave to me when I was 11. It represents my purity, when my dad gives me away to my fiance he's giving him the necklace and symbollically gives permisson in front of everyone. I have kept myself, and I'm really looking forward to it.

Don't forget the silver sixpence in your shoe!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Something old:  my shoes that I got for my sister's wedding (Ok they wew only a year old.)
    Something new; dress; jewelry
    Something borrowed: my sister's veil
    Something blue:  Blue toenail polish

• Something Old:  I'm wearing my mother's 27 year old wedding dress AND using her ring bearer pillow.

Something New:  I'll be getting new shoes and lingerie for the occasion  :)

Something Borrowed:  I am borrowing a headband from a friend.  It's covered in ivory satin, has a lovely satin bow on it, and has a bit of ivory netting to creat an accent veil.

Something Blue:  This one's easy!  Our wedding colors are cornflower blue, ivory, and a splash of rosy pink.  My boquet will be ivory roses and blue hydrangeas.  I may also be making myself a blue garter.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Old: A ring from the 1800s that has been passed down through the women in my family. New: Dress and all related accessories. Borrowed: Undecided. Hoping to borrow something from mother-in-law. Blue: Sapphire necklace my fiance bought for me the first day we met in person. (We were long distance friends for a long time.)
    DD: 6/27/2012, 2 lb. 0 oz., 29 weeks 0 days (severe pre-e/HELLP).
    image image image Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards