Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

My fience's sister got engaged 10 days before my wedding!

Re: My fience's sister got engaged 10 days before my wedding!

• Options
    cmelliott said:
    I haven't read all of both pages but I saw the beginning. I think you have every right to your feelings, it's something you can't control. I had a pair of friends get engaged and pick my same wedding day, just a year later (so my 1 year anniversary) and it pissed me off. I can understand you may feel they're stealing your thunder. HOWEVER, this is nothing you can do about it. You're obligated to be happy and smile through it (unless you want some major family drama right before the wedding).
    WHAT? @cmelliot is agreeing with OP?

Stuck in the box. I answered her question honestly and without being rude and gave feedback on how she should handle the situation. WHAT?! HOW DARE I?! lol
  • Options
    Pepper6 said:
    cmelliott said:
    I haven't read all of both pages but I saw the beginning. I think you have every right to your feelings, it's something you can't control. I had a pair of friends get engaged and pick my same wedding day, just a year later (so my 1 year anniversary) and it pissed me off. I can understand you may feel they're stealing your thunder. HOWEVER, this is nothing you can do about it. You're obligated to be happy and smile through it (unless you want some major family drama right before the wedding).
    Coming from the person who thinks it's also okay to ask people to cover tattoos and to ask a transgendered male wear a dress...
    Don't forget 9 inch stilettos
  • Options
    Swazzle said:
    cmelliott said:
    Why on Earth would this piss you off? It's a year later, not your wedding day. Did you stake a claim to that date for the rest of eternity or something?
    Because it's an honest feeling that I didn't act upon and kept to myself, and I used this to relate to the OP so they understood it was valid to have those feelings, but to keep them to herself.
  • Options

No honestly I was wondering if I had the right to be irritated. I don't.  I read some of the comments, and calmed down to think. I realized that it doesn't matter when he proposed I wouldn't be happy. On the other hand, if it were a different man, it wouldn't matter when he proposed I would be happy.

So I'm not mad at the answers I received, however, the negative feedback is what I don't understand.  

• Options
    cmelliott said:
    cmelliott said:
    WHAT? @cmelliot is agreeing with OP?

Stuck in the box. I answered her question honestly and without being rude and gave feedback on how she should handle the situation. WHAT?! HOW DARE I?! lol
    I'm tired of you already. But thank you for the opportunity for a kitten gif:
  • Options
    misshart00misshart00 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited September 2013

No honestly I was wondering if I had the right to be irritated. I don't.  I read some of the comments, and calmed down to think. I realized that it doesn't matter when he proposed I wouldn't be happy. On the other hand, if it were a different man, it wouldn't matter when he proposed I would be happy.

So I'm not mad at the answers I received, however, the negative feedback is what I don't understand.  

Who gave negative feedback before your freak out?

But I am glad you realized that you were in the wrong.

• Options

It's because you posted to a Internet forum hon. We don't know you - that's the beauty of being anonymous - so all we had was what you posted. And you sounded freaked out and focused on the wrong thing.
    Some of these ladies are very blunt and have seen whiny brides on here having meltdowns over small contrite things that do not matter.
    Thank you for realizing you got side tracked - got a little too panicked about the wrong thing -and take the negative replies with a grain of salt - welcome to the Internet :)

• Options
    LadyofCas said:

It's because you posted to a Internet forum hon. We don't know you - that's the beauty of being anonymous - so all we had was what you posted. And you sounded freaked out and focused on the wrong thing. Some of these ladies are very blunt and have seen whiny brides on here having meltdowns over small contrite things that do not matter. Thank you for realizing you got side tracked - got a little too panicked about the wrong thing -and take the negative replies with a grain of salt - welcome to the Internet :)

Yes, and being from a small town where everyone smiles and says "bless your heart" when their irritated is not quite the same thing as a making a total stranger's head almost blow off...

• Options
    edited September 2013

Good :-) Now move on and don't let this thread ruin the rest of you day. You freaked out and vented - saw that you weren't upset by the day, but rather the guy. 
    You are marrying your FI - this is wonderful news and joyous occasion. Go out and be happy! :-D Best wishes on a wonderful wedding day and blissful life together! GL!

ETA glaring typo
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    cruffinocruffino member
    First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited September 2013

ETA: I missed the last page. so good to see that you cooled off. my point isn't relevant. ///head down going back to work now. 
  • Options
    cmelliott said:

Wow. Why in the world would it piss you off that someone chose your date in a different year? Good gravy is that over the top.

I can't wrap my head around that one.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options

Wow. Why in the world would it piss you off that someone chose your date in a different year? Good gravy is that over the top. I can't wrap my head around that one.
    Because it felt like they were trying to steal my thunder, this was announced right before my shower. And I knew that they would invite me to their wedding and when the day come I'd have to either go to their wedding on my anniversary or skip it. However, you can't control how you feel and I just kept all these thoughts to myself and smiled and congratulated them.
  • Options
    cmelliott said:

cmelliott said:

Wow. Why in the world would it piss you off that someone chose your date in a different year? Good gravy is that over the top.

Because it felt like they were trying to steal my thunder, this was announced right before my shower. And I knew that they would invite me to their wedding and when the day come I'd have to either go to their wedding on my anniversary or skip it. However, you can't control how you feel and I just kept all these thoughts to myself and smiled and congratulated them.

Actually, you can control how you feel. Sounds to me like you are someone who likes everything to be about you.

OP, I'm glad you came around. And I feel your pain on the crappy guy thing- I'm dealing with that too.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options

Wow. Why in the world would it piss you off that someone chose your date in a different year? Good gravy is that over the top. I can't wrap my head around that one.
    Actually, you can control how you feel. Sounds to me like you are someone who likes everything to be about you. OP, I'm glad you came around. And I feel your pain on the crappy guy thing- I'm dealing with that too.
    No, you can't control your feelings, but you can control your actions and I did just that.
  • Options
    cmelliott said:

This makes me think of something you wrote in the other thread:

"i guess i just have to remember some people hold grudges (best term i could think of) forever sometimes. it's just hard for me to realize that because i'm the forgive and forget kinda person and try not to let things get in the way of relationships. "

Does that only apply to people who don't get married on September 27th?

What makes you think I'm holding a grudge? If I was I probably would have acted a lot different.
  • Options
    cmelliott said:

There is literally no such thing as having thunder.  You are a ridiculous human.  Wtf.  I'd enjoy the free date on my wedding anniversary, as long as there's not a cash bar.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    cmelliott said:

There is literally no such thing as having thunder.  You are a ridiculous human.  Wtf.  I'd enjoy the free date on my wedding anniversary, as long as there's not a cash bar.
    Sometimes everyone deserves their moment. But yea I thought about that but I'm not sure I'd want to go to someone else's wedding when I'm trying to celebrate mine.
  • Options
    Uh oh, I am thinking about 9/27.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Good, it should be a lovely day. At least here it is, in the midwest. Not so much worry about cold or heat. My day should be perfect, weather-wise.
  • Options
    cmelliott said:
    cmelliott said:

Sometimes everyone deserves their moment. But yea I thought about that but I'm not sure I'd want to go to someone else's wedding when I'm trying to celebrate mine.
    THEN DON'T GO. If you're going to be pouting that it's your anniversary, the B&G probably don't want you there anyway.

Did you know that Lil' Wayne, Avril Lavine and our founding father Samuel Adams were all born on September 27th? Did you also know that September 27th was the day that the Balinese Tiger was declared extinct in 1937, and the day that Mexico gained independence from Spain in 1821? It's also going to be your anniversary AND the anniversary of many other people. You can all share. Now go along and play nicely.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    cmelliott said:
    Good, it should be a lovely day. At least here it is, in the midwest. Not so much worry about cold or heat. My day should be perfect, weather-wise.
    Wait, so you haven't even had an anniversary yet?  How do you know what you're going to want to do?  You can still have obligatory anniversary sex after the wedding.
  • Options
    cmelliott said:
    cmelliott said:

THEN DON'T GO. If you're going to be pouting that it's your anniversary, the B&G probably don't want you there anyway.

Did you know that Lil' Wayne, Avril Lavine and our founding father Samuel Adams were all born on September 27th? Did you also know that September 27th was the day that the Balinese Tiger was declared extinct in 1937, and the day that Mexico gained independence from Spain in 1821? It's also going to be your anniversary AND the anniversary of many other people. You can all share. Now go along and play nicely.
    I'm sorry you misunderstood. I did not throw a fit and have since let it go. At the time, it annoyed me that they announced it right before our shower. But thank you for those facts. Did you take the time and look them up or do you have the date of Sept 27th memorized? Cause either way that's weird. lol
  • Options
    cmelliott said:
    cmelliott said:
    cmelliott said:

I'm sorry you misunderstood. I did not throw a fit and have since let it go. At the time, it annoyed me that they announced it right before our shower. But thank you for those facts. Did you take the time and look them up or do you have the date of Sept 27th memorized? Cause either way that's weird. lol

You are weird....
    Thank you.
  • Options
    cmelliott said:

cmelliott said:

cmelliott said:

Why can't you celebrate your relationship while celebrating theirs? I can celebrate my relationship anywhere at any time.

You really give off a selfish air. Yikes.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    cmelliott said:

Why can't you celebrate your relationship while celebrating theirs? I can celebrate my relationship anywhere at any time. You really give off a selfish air. Yikes.
    Well I hadn't made the decision whether to go since it's over a year away lol.
  • Options
    If they proposed at your reception then you could be mad.  But there's a ten day difference.  On your wedding day, I'm sure you'll still be the center of attention as you are the bride.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards