Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Cash Bars - Everything you need to know in one place

Re: Cash Bars - Everything you need to know in one place

• Options
    I've seen a couple more cash bar threads today - here are the answers!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

best.post.ever!

Can someone do this for all the hot topics??? Like, choosing your wedding party, dollar dances, honeymoon registries, showers, jack and jils, and other pre wedding parties...etc. You ladies do a much better job at explaining than me :-)

After 6 years and 2 boys, finally tying the knot on October 27th, 2013!

• Options
    acove2006 said:

best.post.ever!

Can someone do this for all the hot topics??? Like, choosing your wedding party, dollar dances, honeymoon registries, showers, jack and jils, and other pre wedding parties...etc. You ladies do a much better job at explaining than me :-)

I was thinking the same thing earlier today - I mean, honestly, we are all giving the same answers all day every day, and dealing with the same "But, (insert my special circumstance here)!" arguments every day.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    acove2006 said:

best.post.ever!

I was thinking the same thing earlier today - I mean, honestly, we are all giving the same answers all day every day, and dealing with the same "But, (insert my special circumstance here)!" arguments every day.
    It would probably come across much nicer too than our terse one sentence responses.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Thanks for typing this out. I am way too lazy to do something like this!
  • Options
    itzMS said:

If only new posters knew how to read the stickies.

How many times on Registering and Gifts or Favors do we have to answer about Honeymoon registries and charity donations despite there actually being stickies?

True that.  Although frankly I don't think the Honeymoon Registry sticky goes far enough to drive the point home - it's still a little sweet.

My rule for wedding planning is this:  Don't be a dick.  

Seriously.  A couple of friends and I have taken to citing the "Don't be a dick Rule" of wedding planning.  It's not hard or expensive to treat people well.
    I like you.
  • Options
    itzMS said:

If only new posters knew how to read the stickies.

How many times on Registering and Gifts or Favors do we have to answer about Honeymoon registries and charity donations despite there actually being stickies?

True that.  Although frankly I don't think the Honeymoon Registry sticky goes far enough to drive the point home - it's still a little sweet.

My rule for wedding planning is this:  Don't be a dick.  

Seriously.  A couple of friends and I have taken to citing the "Don't be a dick Rule" of wedding planning.  It's not hard or expensive to treat people well.
    I like you.
    Thanks!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    What not to do:

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    What not to do:

Oh dear lord. This takes it to a whole new level! Even charging people for water and soda. I mean, it's all bad form, but seriously how rude can you be?
  • Options
    What not to do:

I would hope this is for a summer wedding, cos I'd be running out to McDonalds for $1 summer drink days all evening long.  :)

• Options
    What not to do:

I would hope this is for a summer wedding, cos I'd be running out to McDonalds for $1 summer drink days all evening long.  :)
    Likewise.  I mean, seriously, $3 for a can of soda?  That's low.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    How klassy would that wedding be with all of my large McDonalds empty cups everywhere??  Awesome

• Options
    Probably going to get reamed out for this, but I kind of disagree. I think that paying for as much alcohol as you can and then allowing a cash bar for guests who want extra would be okay. I know that my guests would absolutely prefer that over a completely dry wedding! 
  • Options
    Right, I read it all. I just still disagree. But that's just me
  • Options
    NYCBruinNYCBruin member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited September 2013
    pengwinn said: Right, I read it all. I just still disagree. But that's just me

You can disagree, but since you aren't a mind reader, you have no way of knowing what your guests are ACTUALLY thinking (which often is different from what they may
    say to you since they don't want to hurt your feelings).  So, even though YOU disagree, there's a pretty solid chance that at least some of your guests agree with us and will think you're rude.

Edited: Quote box wonky
    Don't worry guys, I have the Wedding Police AND the Whambulance on speed dial!
  • Options
    I'm allowed to disagree I think I conveyed my opinion respectfully...no need to get snarky.
  • Options
    pengwinn said:
    No, I still think that supplying as much alcohol as you can and simply having an option for more is okay. That's all.  For example, one place I looked at often the hosts will purchase some kegs and wine (or something) and when that runs out guests can have the option to buy more alcohol if they wish it. 

As you said you can't read minds, but assuming people will find it tacky or rude is assuming you know what they are thinking as well. I just don't think you have the final word on this.I see that the majority of the people on these boards likely agree with you - and I agree with much of it. I just don't think it has to be so black and white.
    We don't pull etiquette rules out of our asses. Etiquette goddesses like Emily Post will agree with us. Obviously you're entitled to your opinion on something. But there are etiquette rules. And we didn't make them up. Sure, there's a chance that some of your guests may not be offended by having to buy a drink that was free an hour ago, but there's no way someone is going to be offended by not having to buy a drink. I wouldn't be offended if I was invited to a wedding where BBQ was served. I would, however, be offended if I was invited to a wedding where BBQ was served, but I could have a lobster tail if I paid for it. 
    I don't accuse you of pulling it out of your asses, that's not what I meant by that. I'm all for friendly debate but WOW you all feel strongly about this. To each his (or her) own.
  • Options
    As I said, I understand and appreciate that. On that note though, harshness and truth may go hand in hand sometimes but it's all about delivery. And if you do care about etiquette I would think that being polite to strangers on the internet would be considered good etiquette. Though not necessary - just pointing it out. :) And let me just say I'm not talking about this particular situation - I didn't find anybody to be too harsh necessarily.
    There are some people that will be kind and informative despite the internet (thought it's rare). But if you are making the point that you can be as rude as you want online, and you're on an etiquette board, it just seemed contradictory!
  • Options
    pengwinn said:
    As I said, I understand and appreciate that. On that note though, harshness and truth may go hand in hand sometimes but it's all about delivery. And if you do care about etiquette I would think that being polite to strangers on the internet would be considered good etiquette. Though not necessary - just pointing it out. :) And let me just say I'm not talking about this particular situation - I didn't find anybody to be too harsh necessarily.
    There are some people that will be kind and informative despite the internet (thought it's rare). But if you are making the point that you can be as rude as you want online, and you're on an etiquette board, it just seemed contradictory!
    How was anyone rude here? Specific example?
  • Options
    I said above that I don't think anybody necessarily was in this situation. Just addressing what ShesSoCold was saying.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards