Just Engaged and Proposals

how long did you date before he popped the question?

just curious to know? how long were you together before you got engaged and did you suspect anything before he did?

my FI and I were together 11 months and 2 days when he asked. I always knew it was coming, the day he did I suspected it but wasnt trying to get my hopes up but I was right (he and my sister arent good liars)

Re: how long did you date before he popped the question?

• We were together just under a year. I knew it was coming because we had discussed it at length, when we might both be ready, what kind of wedding we wanted, our goals for our lives and our marriage, etc. But I was completely surprised at the moment he proposed! Did not expect it at all. :)
  • FI and I were together almost 8 years before he proposed. I knew the proposal was coming as we talked about it for a long time and he's not great at keeping secrets. The ring was a surprise though as I knew he wanted to surprise me for some part of it. 
  • 8 years and a complete shock!  while i hoped and assumed he would propose soon, he completely surprised me when he finally did it and i was even more surprised with the thought he put into the proposal. 
  • 3 1/2 years.
  • 6 years.
    I knew he was going to propose soon as we had been talking about it a lot and it was right around our 6 year dating anniversary.

• year and a half
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We dated for a year and a half. We'd been talking about getting married back in January, and it had only been 9 months at that point so I figured it'd be before the end of this year.
  • 8 years and a complete shock!  while i hoped and assumed he would propose soon, he completely surprised me when he finally did it and i was even more surprised with the thought he put into the proposal. 
    Same here!  I was completely surprised when he finally proposed.  I had basically given up that it was ever going to happen and had come to be happy with how things were.  And then bam!

Same here!  I was completely surprised when he finally proposed.  I had basically given up that it was ever going to happen and had come to be happy with how things were.  And then bam!
    Exactly! People of course always questioned our relationship, but we lived together and are happy so as much as I wanted to get married, I wasn't going to push him to do it.  
  • 6 years. I'm still getting weepy thinking about it. He was just so sweet. He tried so hard to hide it and keep it a surprise but I found out and ended up having everyone else keep it a secret from him that I knew so he could have the surprise of surprising me...

He still thinks he pulled it off! I don't think I'll ever tell him. It means so much to me that he went to all that effort to be romantic.

• 3 years. We had designed a ring together, so it wasn't a total surprise. However, the jeweler got the ring done much sooner than I expected, so I had no idea when he actually proposed that it was that time. It was the best combination of my being in the know and still being surprised.
  • My BF hasn't proposed YET, but he bought a ring almost 2 weeks ago (Oct. 27th) and its sitting in the closet until he decides how he wants to propose. We started dating on January 18th, 2013 but didnt make it "official" for certain reasons until March 11th. So we've been together almost 10 months after being friends for 6 years prior to dating.

I know he's wanting to propose before my birthday, December 6th, so we will probably be dating for 10-11 months by the time he proposes.
    Anniversary

• edited November 2013
    3.5 years... I kind of suspected something was up before he did it, but was still surprised... we were going on vacation for Christmas with my family and he was very adamant that he had to keep his backpack with him at all times, which was kind of suspicious. I also knew that his mom had offered him a family heirloom engagement ring about a year before he actually proposed, so I knew it was coming at some point.

• 15 months. And my MOH acciedntly told me that he was going to propose. At least I had the opportunity to get my nails done.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • 7 years and shocked. We had discussed it and decided he wouldn't take any steps until after he matched at a residency program. He started working on the ring, got it done, and couldn't wait another several months to ask, so he just went for it.

We had discussed marriage so much, I thought we would end up just agreeing to it and buy a ring together, ala both sets of our parents. He made it wonderful by surprising me.

• KatWAG said:
    15 months. And my MOH acciedntly told me that he was going to propose. At least I had the opportunity to get my nails done.
    i love this. Since i know my ring is sitting in the closet somewhere, waiting to be on my finger, and that the BF could propose at any given minute, I've made sure my nails are done :)
    Anniversary

• Almost 4 years.  We started dating in September of 2009 and he proposed June 1, 2013. He asked my dad and had the ring 3 months before he proposed! and i saw him at the jewelry store (on accident) so i knew he had it!

• He hasn't proposed yet, but he put the money on the ring Sept 21 (he gave me the money, and I went into the shop, as he was out of town for the sale...). We'd been together 3 years at that point. He'd been married before, and had been through a very painful divorce, so, at 2 1/2 years together, when he first broached the idea of getting married, I was really surprised, and pleased ;)
  • We had been together 2 years and 2 1/2 months. He bought the ring when we had been together a year and I saw it about 4 months later.

When he asked me out he told me he wanted to marry me. So I knew it was coming eventually.

I was suspicious the day he asked. I knew he had asked my dad permission and he had to ask before my sister went away for the summer. But he still surprised me in the way he asked. It was very cute and very much us. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • 5 1/2 years. I proposed. She didn't see it coming :)
  • My BF hasn't proposed YET, but he bought a ring almost 2 weeks ago (Oct. 27th) and its sitting in the closet until he decides how he wants to propose. We started dating on January 18th, 2013 but didnt make it "official" for certain reasons until March 11th. So we've been together almost 10 months after being friends for 6 years prior to dating.

I know he's wanting to propose before my birthday, December 6th, so we will probably be dating for 10-11 months by the time he proposes.
    This happened to me, too! We have been dating 3 years, and FI bought the ring back in May of this year. He waited to propose until Labor Day at a county baseball game in front of my family. I picked the ring since we spoke about it a lot, but didn't think he actually bought it until he told me (he was way too excited to keep it from me!). 

I kept doing my nails and they were at a good length by the time he proposed. I tend to bite my nails, so he had perfect timing and perfect setting. 
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 
    Funny Awkward animated GIF
  • awww such sweet stories... congrats to us all!!!!!
  • 7 years.  I knew it was going to come soon since I helped pick the ring (he is my best friend but... still does not know my style at all lol) but after we picked the ring it probably took like another 4-5 months before he actually proposed.  There were times where I thought it was going to happen and it didn't lol and then the one time that I had no idea it happened and I had noooo idea he was planning.  I actually thought he wasn't planning anything lol.
  • We were dating 11 years. We started dating at 16.  I was completely surprised, because he proposed on our annual Disney vacation, so I thought it was going to be like any other year.  He still amazes me, even after so many years together.  
  • We were dating for a year and half before he proposed. I knew he had a ring but i didnt know what it looked like. He picked it out on his own and did a pretty damn good job
  • We had been together about a year and a half. We wanted to wait until we had graduated from college (he actually proposed at our graduation party with a scavenger hunt). I had been hinting that an engagement ring might be a nice graduation gift, but I honestly never expected he was planning to do that. 
  • 5 1/2 years and a TOTAL shock. He took me to a nice restaurant for dinner and actually spent the evening discussing a tropical vacation for our next anniversary and how maybe that would be a romantic place for a proposal. Then he surprised me with the proposal right then and there! We were at the top of theHOTEL at Mandalay Bay at Mix Lounge so it was very romantic, but I definitely didn't see it coming. Couldn't tell you anything he said either! I just kept saying "oh my god oh my god oh my god" haha! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We've been together for 9 years & we've been saving & planning for our day & HunnyMoon for 2 years. :) No ring yet but not far away. LOL I cant wait to "GO PUBLIC" We're enegaged to each other its just not public & it works for us!
  • NerdyLucyNerdyLucy member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited November 2013

We got married on our 12th dating anniversary, and there was no "popping of the question." 

It was a mutual decision. It's just the way we roll.  I think a lot of people think we're unromantic, but we can be, just not when it comes to certain stuff.

Officially hitched as of 10/25/13

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards