Snarky Brides

The worst wedding trends on Pinterest...

17810121339

Re: The worst wedding trends on Pinterest...

  • InkdancerInkdancer The Shire member
    2500 Comments 500 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer

    10) Disagree!  For me, the rehearsal dinner is a special, intimate dinner with the people who you handpicked to help make your wedding awesome.  Even if you're not having a rehearsal, I still like the idea of a rehearsal dinner for them.  

    I tend to think of a rehearsal dinner this way too. Unfortunately my FILs think of them as some kind of family reunion and want to invite their entire side to the RD! Um, no. If we do that we might as well get married the day before since 80% of the guests will already be there.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
    Marzipan13runsonveggies
  • cupcait927cupcait927 Western NY wine country member
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Love Its First Answer
    ckel24 said:

    image

    Found this gem on Pinterest.  I think guests probably will notice if you cut some of these out....

     

    I am, in fact, cutting every single one of these things. Everything 1 - 9 is unnecessary and for 10, we're not having a rehearsal since it's just FI and I, no bridal party so therefore, no need to have a rehearsal dinner. This is actually one of the better wedding-related things I've seen on Pinterest.


    My main issue with this was 1 and 2.  The others are definitely up to the bride and groom, but I think favors and save the dates are worth it.  I just think since you are hosting a party, a favor is a small token of your appreciation to the guests for coming. 

     

    And the save the date is very appreciated, especially for out of town guests. One of my best friends from high school is getting married this July. They were initially planning a family only wedding (and my friend told me this in person about a year ago), but decided to have a larger one including all of their friends (which I found out from our mutual friends).  The mutual friends seemed to think that I would be invited, and were shocked that I hadn't heard, since I was a lot closer to the groom then they were.  I was very confused about the situation, and decided to ask my friend about what I had heard (just that the type of wedding was changed and why they decided to do this; did not bring up whether or not I was invited).  After my friend explained all of the details, he told me "oh, and of course you are invited, and here is the date and time."  I live on the other side of the country, and if my friends hadn't told me about the change, I would have had to scramble to make travel plans upon receiving the invitation/just before receiving it, since the groom probably wouldn't have told me until then.  So, IMO, save the dates are very courteous to guests. 


    I think STDs are wonderful if you have a fair number of guests that would benefit from it, such as a lot of OOT guests or people with variable work schedules. However, we're only inviting 65 tops, with only two or three that would really benefit from an STD. Since they are family, we're just having our parents pass along the date by word of mouth. I didn't see any sense ordering STDs when I would only need a handful.

    Favors are nice, but just not something I can justify spending the money on. They aren't necessary for my marriage to be valid and I haven't found anything yet that strikes my fancy enough to spend the money. We have a smaller budget and a guest list with quite variable interests. I'm still 7 months out so I could very well change my mind if I find something I love but I'm not going to spend the money just because it's been deemed essential by the wedding industry. If I had a larger budget or was more creative, I'm sure my tune would change :)

    AuroraRose41
  • jalyndanijalyndani member
    100 Love Its 100 Comments First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited February 2014
    Inkdancer said:

    10) Disagree!  For me, the rehearsal dinner is a special, intimate dinner with the people who you handpicked to help make your wedding awesome.  Even if you're not having a rehearsal, I still like the idea of a rehearsal dinner for them.  

    I tend to think of a rehearsal dinner this way too. Unfortunately my FILs think of them as some kind of family reunion and want to invite their entire side to the RD! Um, no. If we do that we might as well get married the day before since 80% of the guests will already be there.

    I'm glad I'm not the only one who had this problem.  We're getting married on a Friday with our rehearsal and RD on Thursday night. My FMIL wanted to "formally invite all of the out of town guests and family" to our RD. Um, newsflash. Everybody is considered "out of town" except my parents, sister, grandma, 2 uncles, and 3 cousins w/ their spouses (a total of 12 people out of the guest list of 70). Hell, if everyone can come into town on Thursday, we could have saved a shit-ton of money by getting married on Thursday instead of Friday. Thankfully I talked her out of this and we're just having immediate family and bridal party at the RD. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    InkdancerMarzipan13
  • I figured I would just send my invitations a little earlier and let people know about the date if they ask beforehand (which a lot of people have). I've also heard of people getting confused by them because they're a relatively new concept. Even I got confused the two times I received them.


    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers



  • hahahahaha..... I totally agree. All of those things I have commented on at least in my head so I am glad someone compiled it all in one place!
  • HaileyDancingbearHaileyDancingbear Arkham Asylum member
    500 Love Its 1000 Comments First Anniversary Name Dropper
    This had the caption "Final things before the ring- Bachelorette Bucket list!"  Because how could you possibly get married before flashing a bunch of people in a parking lot first?  There's another one with the same caption, except it's a photo of girls pissing in urinals.  Can't be a good bride if you don't have a photo of yourself peeing in a urinal!
    image
    image
    runsonveggies
  • AuroraRose41AuroraRose41 New York member
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 500 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2014

    @Marzipan13, I posted that because I agree with some of them, but disagree with others. And your list is almost exactly how I feel about my post. Sure, I completely agree that bridesmaid robes or aisle runners are unnecessary, but I do like rehearsal dinners, save the dates, and programs for the exact reasons you mentioned :).

    Edited to delete a space after the @.

     

     


    Marzipan13
  • jalyndani said:
    Inkdancer said:

    10) Disagree!  For me, the rehearsal dinner is a special, intimate dinner with the people who you handpicked to help make your wedding awesome.  Even if you're not having a rehearsal, I still like the idea of a rehearsal dinner for them.  

    I tend to think of a rehearsal dinner this way too. Unfortunately my FILs think of them as some kind of family reunion and want to invite their entire side to the RD! Um, no. If we do that we might as well get married the day before since 80% of the guests will already be there.

    I'm glad I'm not the only one who had this problem.  We're getting married on a Friday with our rehearsal and RD on Thursday night. My FMIL wanted to "formally invite all of the out of town guests and family" to our RD. Um, newsflash. Everybody is considered "out of town" except my parents, sister, grandma, 2 uncles, and 3 cousins w/ their spouses (a total of 12 people out of the guest list of 70). Hell, if everyone can come into town on Thursday, we could have saved a shit-ton of money by getting married on Thursday instead of Friday. Thankfully I talked her out of this and we're just having immediate family and bridal party at the RD. 
    -----------------stuck in box----------------------------

    Ugh, FI and I were having this exact problem, too.  FMIL actually said to me "Don't you think it would be the nice, welcoming thing to do if you invited all of the out-of-town guests?" 

    First of all, I wasn't raised in a barn, FMIL - I know what's "nice & welcoming" and what isn't. Second of all, probably 85% of our guests are out-of-town.  Third of all, FI and I want a pleasant, intimate dinner with our best friends and immediate family; not a dinner with my obnoxious cousins, cranky grandparents, and pissy uncle.  Fourth of all, we already booked the restaurant and it only holds 30   (;

    TL;DR - FMIL wanted everyone, nobody else did (not even FFIL, haha).  But it's resolved!  So thank heavens for that.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Mr. Bean Flipping the Bird
  • Okay, how about a cake topper then? Artistically speaking, the level of detail is great. But, what theme would this even go with?????

    image
    I'm guessing for the local taxidermist?
    thats not even a cake topper they are called charming tails I collected them when i was little
  • AuroraRose41AuroraRose41 New York member
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 500 Love Its Name Dropper

    @CaitlinGriffin apparently there are Pinterest users who think it is a cake topper....I have seen it a few times now and the comments are always "OMG this would be such a cute cake topper!!!!!!!!!" or along those lines.


  • AuroraRose41AuroraRose41 New York member
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 500 Love Its Name Dropper

    Also, I just came across this [CLICKY] with the caption "The Princess Bride! I love it!!!!!!!" (I pinterest way too much...but I have some great bridal shower ideas for my friend now!). Why would you quote a movie scene where the bride is not happy about the marriage and the groom plans to kill the bride afterward? Am I missing the romance behind this quote?

     


  • AuroraRose41 I've noticed the Princess Bride is a major trend and have seen it on Pinterest, Offbeat Bride, and a few other places. I've never seen the movie, so I didn't know about that stuff! Interesting...


    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers



  • AuroraRose41AuroraRose41 New York member
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 500 Love Its Name Dropper
    @hellokellybean it is a romantic movie, but [SPOILER ALERT] the good guy rescues the princess from being married to an evil prince basically. So the marriage scene is actually between the princess and the villian! I can understand the romance of the "knight in shining armor rescuing his princess", but why quote a scene where the main character is being forced to marry someone? That's not exactly what I think most people now would want to associate their wedding with......

    hellohkb
  • InkdancerInkdancer The Shire member
    2500 Comments 500 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer
    @hellokellybean it is a romantic movie, but [SPOILER ALERT] the good guy rescues the princess from being married to an evil prince basically. So the marriage scene is actually between the princess and the villian! I can understand the romance of the "knight in shining armor rescuing his princess", but why quote a scene where the main character is being forced to marry someone? That's not exactly what I think most people now would want to associate their wedding with......
    We thought about it because it's one of our favorite scenes in one of our favorite movies.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
    hellohkbchibiyuidjfivenine
  • This bothers me to no end...Because if he doesn't show outward emotion, clearly he doesn't care, right? And if I go back and do it again, he's going to be so overcome with emotion seeing me the second time in 30 seconds, he's going to cry
    AuroraRose41
  • pinkshorts27pinkshorts27 Oregon member
    500 Love Its 1000 Comments First Anniversary First Answer
    mlemoe03 said:
    This bothers me to no end...Because if he doesn't show outward emotion, clearly he doesn't care, right? And if I go back and do it again, he's going to be so overcome with emotion seeing me the second time in 30 seconds, he's going to cry
    he is going to be so overcome with emotion because he realizes he is marrying a spoiled brat.... oh, that was mean.

    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image
  • @CaitlinGriffin apparently there are Pinterest users who think it is a cake topper....I have seen it a few times now and the comments are always "OMG this would be such a cute cake topper!!!!!!!!!" or along those lines.

    those people are stupid and if they're going to do it they have cuter less omg wtf is going on here ones
    AuroraRose41
  • I think it's very plausible that many of this "younger" generation (I include myself in that at 25, but I'm talking younger) did NOT read The Great Gatsby in school. I didn't read it in high school. I finally read it the summer I turned 22. So if they haven't read it, they ZERO clue that it really isn't all that romantic and suitable as a "wedding theme." They just saw Leonardo DiCaprio looking hot and liked the outfits from the movie.

    And The Hunger Games? really? Maybe for your high school costume party but for a WEDDING?? I get it - the love story is so sweet it may induce vomit. But what part of minors being subjected to killing each other makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside? I did read the books and I LOVE them but come on now kids.

    I think a lot is to blame on this idea (not sure where it stems from) that your wedding must have a "THEME" and decor to match it and god forbid costume-like clothing. Why why whyyyyy.

    Also the cake toppers that show the bride dragging the groom away from a scene. Yep, that's what I want everyone's impression to be on my wedding day. UGH.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • tcnoble said:

    I think a lot is to blame on this idea (not sure where it stems from) that your wedding must have a "THEME" and decor to match it and god forbid costume-like clothing. Why why whyyyyy.

    I blame David Tutera and Four Weddings. Those shows pretty much won't feature a wedding that isn't themed. Pintrest certainly isn't helping the situation.

    Also now I desperately wish I had cable so I could watch bride night on TLC...I haven't watched any wedding TV shows since we got engaged. Something Borrowed or Something New was my favorite.
    Marzipan13ashleyepmrsk616
  • Ok now I've seen everything.
  • MrsAitch said:
    tcnoble said:

    I think a lot is to blame on this idea (not sure where it stems from) that your wedding must have a "THEME" and decor to match it and god forbid costume-like clothing. Why why whyyyyy.

    I blame David Tutera and Four Weddings. Those shows pretty much won't feature a wedding that isn't themed. Pintrest certainly isn't helping the situation.

    Also now I desperately wish I had cable so I could watch bride night on TLC...I haven't watched any wedding TV shows since we got engaged. Something Borrowed or Something New was my favorite.

    I think they're to blame too.  And I really dislike the literal interpretation of themes that they often portray.... what is this, a sweet sixteen?
    tcnoble
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards