Wedding Etiquette Forum

What Your Guests Really Think of Your Honeymoon Registry...

Re: What Your Guests Really Think of Your Honeymoon Registry...

• KatWAG said:
    Setting asisde how tacky a HM registry is, I still dont understand why a mom would register for her daughter's sexfest?
    I never had an issue with HM registries (I didn't do one or anything), I just love experiences over material things, so I thought they were cool, but when I learned that there were fees associated or the B&G just got cash, it changed my mind a bit.  I do give cash at every wedding, but I like knowing that I just gave cash and I wasn't manipulated into giving it.

Is it just me or do I not really think of a honeymoon as a sexfest?  I mean, unless you didn't have sex before the wedding, maybe, but it's just a vacation to me.  I do find having your mother register for you in general is weird, but honeymoon =/= sexfest in my eyes.

Nope, same for me too. 

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• wamboy said:
    You don't get to decide if a money dance is rude or not, in Italian, Hispanic, and Jewish cultures it is normal and not rude, to me it is, to others not.  Chinese cultures has the red envelope ceremony.  My point is, rather than sitting on a moral high horse and dispense things as rude or not rude, you should just decide not to participate and keep your opinions to yourself, unsolicited advice is offensive and rude as well.
    As an American of Italian descent I can tell you that the money dance is considered rude by Italians. . . namely my family, and their Italian friends, and the families of those friends, etc.  Just because something is a tradition or "common" to a culture does not mean that it isn't rude.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• All I can hear in my head is some 12 year old boy yelling "PROOOOOVE ITTTTTTT!!!" Keep the puppy GIFs coming! I have a preference for corgi ones :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • tcnoble said:
    All I can hear in my head is some 12 year old boy yelling "PROOOOOVE ITTTTTTT!!!" Keep the puppy GIFs coming! I have a preference for corgi ones :)
    I love corgis.
  • tcnoble said:
    All I can hear in my head is some 12 year old boy yelling "PROOOOOVE ITTTTTTT!!!" Keep the puppy GIFs coming! I have a preference for corgi ones :)
    I love corgis.

No GIFS but I have a pic of a smiling corgi
  • edited March 2014
    wamboy said:
    @PrettyGirlLost I didn't say it wasn't rude, I asked people to explain why they may view one thing as rude, but another as not.  I didn't even state my opinion as to what I thought, I merely asked why one is and one isn't.

The thread as a whole and everyone's  posts in response to yours, explain why honeyfunds and money dances are rude.

They are both rude, and the majority of people here will state that.

• @jdluvr06 This thread needs more smiling corgis.

@Cookie Pusher Thank you for supporting the more corgi opinion.
  • wamboy said:
    @PrettyGirlLost Rude is an opinion, which you can have. I don't think they are unless your deceiving people.  That's my opinion.  But if your going to tell people that is "against etiquette," you better be able to back that up with something.
    Did you miss the two Miss Manners posts that back it up?

Honeyfunds and money dances are asking for cash, and asking for cash is always considered rude.

• wamboy said:
    You don't get to decide if a money dance is rude or not, in Italian, Hispanic, and Jewish cultures it is normal and not rude, to me it is, to others not.  Chinese cultures has the red envelope ceremony.  My point is, rather than sitting on a moral high horse and dispense things as rude or not rude, you should just decide not to participate and keep your opinions to yourself, unsolicited advice is offensive and rude as well.

Wow. What a RUDE statement. Thank you for generalizing all people of Chinese, Italian, Hispanic, and Jewish cultures. For your information, I am Jewish on both sides, 100% full fledge Jew. I have NEVER been to a Jewish wedding, from my family or friends, that did a money dance. And if I had, I would still think it's crazy rude, cultural or not. It's as if my monetary gift is not good enough, so now you need more from me? I don't think so. I know this is a tangent, and I'm sorry, but I had to address this. Don't you dare stereotype my culture in any way.
  • NYCBruinNYCBruin member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited March 2014
    wamboy said:

@NYCBruin "Exchange" indicates room for more than one opinion, which has hardly been the case.  So perhaps you need to reevaluate your idea of exchanging ideas freely.  I didn't say it was a rule, where did I say that, oh that's right I didn't.  I said just because you see it as an open forum to brow beat others and spout opinion as fact doesn't mean others do.  Listen, the courtesy to which you would speak to someone in person goes a long way online.  Everyone has brass balls behind a computer.  But if you come at me, you're gonna get it back.

You do realize that your first post on this thread was the online equivalent of walking up to a group of people who were having a conversation and shouting "you're all wrong!" You can't seriously be surprised by the responses you got. There were literally pages of posts disagreeing with your viewpoint before posted. People pointing out the flaws in your argument is hardly brow beating.

You are the only poster who has name called and used personal attacks.
    Don't worry guys, I have the Wedding Police AND the Whambulance on speed dial!
  • wamboy said:
    wamboy said:
    @PrettyGirlLost Rude is an opinion, which you can have. I don't think they are unless your deceiving people.  That's my opinion.  But if your going to tell people that is "against etiquette," you better be able to back that up with something.
    Did you miss the two Miss Manners posts that back it up?

Honeyfunds and money dances are asking for cash, and asking for cash is always considered rude.
    Did you miss the response of I agree? But as you can see I clearly state my OPINION and don't state it as fact
    So why are you still arguing and picking fights with people then?

• This is the troll that never ever ends, it goes on and on my friend.... 
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 
    Funny Awkward animated GIF
  • NYCBruinNYCBruin member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited March 2014
    wamboy said:

NYCBruin said:

wamboy said:

@NYCBruin "Exchange" indicates room for more than one opinion, which has hardly been the case.  So perhaps you need to reevaluate your idea of exchanging ideas freely.  I didn't say it was a rule, where did I say that, oh that's right I didn't.  I said just because you see it as an open forum to brow beat others and spout opinion as fact doesn't mean others do.  Listen, the courtesy to which you would speak to someone in person goes a long way online.  Everyone has brass balls behind a computer.  But if you come at me, you're gonna get it back.

You do realize that your first post on this thread was the online equivalent of walking up to a group of people who were having a conversation and shouting "you're all wrong!" You can't seriously be surprised by the responses you got. There were literally pages of posts disagreeing with your viewpoint before posted. People pointing out the flaws in your argument is hardly brow beating.

You are the only poster who has name called and used personal attacks.

Do you  realize my first post has a lot of question marks because I am asking people the difference between one thing and another in their opinion?

--------

This is exhausting. Yes, and you did so in a rambling and ranting manner. The fact that your post asked questions doesn't negate the clear "you're all so wrong'" message of your post. Just like insulting someone using a question doesn't negate the insult. And if you asked questions why were you so angry when people responded with...gasp...their opinions?

Edited to fix stupid quote boxes.
  • MadHops21MadHops21 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited March 2014
    wamboy said:
    @MadHops21 Stalker!
    Not really stalker. If you know how this site works, it shows the latest poster in a thread. And it's usually someone with their panties riding too tight *on zombie threads.

ETA *
  • So I've been super board tonight. FI is working and there is nothing on tv. This thread and the others have provided me a lot of entertainment.
  • wamboy said:

@NYCBruin I wasn't what I asked for was proof once someone said it goes "against etiquette."  It is clearly established that etiquette is set by an authority (look up the meaning), so I asked for proof of that.  If they had only stated their opinion as an opinion, no big deal.  But opinion isn't fact, and it isn't right to mislead others into thinking that you are stating a fact with some knowledge behind it if you are stating an opinion.  Differentiate, what's the big deal.  No one is required to take someone's word for it.

Oh honey...
  • jdluvr06 said:
    So I've been super board tonight. FI is working and there is nothing on tv. This thread and the others have provided me a lot of entertainment.
    I was thinking the same thing!

• jdluvr06 said:
    So I've been super board tonight. FI is working and there is nothing on tv. This thread and the others have provided me a lot of entertainment.

I've been sitting here reading these threads and drinking tea. It's been nice to turn my brain off for a while and enjoy the show. Lol.
  • jdluvr06 said:
    jdluvr06 said:

I've been sitting here reading these threads and drinking tea. It's been nice to turn my brain off for a while and enjoy the show. Lol.
    Ditto. There have been some activity lately during the engagement season past couple months now.

Also, I appear to be a criminal. Did you know this? I didn't know having the ability to see someone's posts on a public forum qualified criminal status. Shield your eyes! 
  • It's crazy to think that TK would provide us the ability to see when you joined, see where you have posted, how many times, your replies...all that! I better let them know that's stalker material. Maybe you should let @KnotPorscha know. 
  • Well that was an interesting read.

• Sorry, can't resist- wamboy, go to the etiquette hell website, and read the archives on weddings. I particularly recommend the Gimme Gimme Gimme section, as it applies to this thread.

I must also add that while my brother and his wife did a honeymoon registry, they've yet to go where they said they would. I bet it irritates them to no end that instead of writing a check or giving USD, I gave them currency specifically used in the country they said they'd visit.

I must also take the time to thank the ladies here for the thoroughly entertaining morning reading material.

#1 - i love this.  i will be stealing this idea at some point.

#2 - this thread is out. of. control.

• wamboy said:

@blueyes90 If you have time to check the boards and post, then you have time to prove your comments.  If your a follower great, if you take everyone's opinion as fact and that works for you great.  It doesn't for me, so if you want to call me out on something put your money where your mouth is or shut up.  Whether any of the people who attacked my request for proof of their comments agree with it or not, it is my opinion that if your going to post as though you are an authority on something prove it.  Otherwise it comes off as caddy snarkiness and judgmental.

*catty

A caddy is:  a small box, can, or chest used especially to keep tea in or, a container or device for storing or holding objects when they are not in use.

You're welcome.

Or the man who carries your golf clubs

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • And LOL at @wamboy calling @madhops21 a stalker.  

@wamboy, just give it up.  You aren't going to win this netbattle.  
    sexy, harry styles, best song ever, cute, beautiful, asdjglñlñ, marcel
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards