Wedding Etiquette Forum

How do I tell people that they don't get a plus one?

Answers

• Confession:  I do not have a Boston accent.  Or a South Coast accent.  I think I sound like a non-specific New Englander.  Like the people on the news.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @PrettyGirlLost - I do not.  I have lived in MA for 33 of my 40 years (not originally a New Englander, a pretty firmly planted transplant) and I never acquired the Boston accent.  Though I get a little Jersey, a little Southern and a little Bahston if I've been drinking.

My sister on the other hand absolutely pahks her cah and has friends named Mahk (Mark).
    I love the Boston accent!  I think a good portion of why I found the movie Ted was because of the great accent.
    As a firmly entrenched Southern girl, I have no problem tellin' y'all that your accent is just out of the ordinary. Of course, my FI teases me for saying "strawwberry" and I still don't know what I'm doing wrong.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • @PrettyGirlLost - I do not.  I have lived in MA for 33 of my 40 years (not originally a New Englander, a pretty firmly planted transplant) and I never acquired the Boston accent.  Though I get a little Jersey, a little Southern and a little Bahston if I've been drinking.

My sister on the other hand absolutely pahks her cah and has friends named Mahk (Mark).
    BWhaha - my grandma hasn't lived in Boston in like 60 years - there are still some sentences that come out of her mouth that I can only respond with
  • Confession:  I do not have a Boston accent.  Or a South Coast accent.  I think I sound like a non-specific New Englander.  Like the people on the news.
    :*(

It's ok though if you have one of those soothing, NPR voices.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Nobody thinks they have an accent! But nearly everyone does. :)

PS

• @lolo8383 - I'm going to disagree with that.  My company has offices in several parts of the country and all the folks I talk to on a regular basis tell me I have no specific accent. 

I do upon occasion think things are wicked pissah though ;)

• @PrettyGirlLost I do not. I have a mix of an accent from NY. 

Flame time: I actually can't stand the Boston accent. How hard is it to pronounce an "r" in a word? I had someone say to me once "do you want to have a drink at the bah?" I stared at said person for a good 20 seconds before I knew what he said.
  • There's a generic American accent. You can find it mostly through the midwest (mostly), and over the west coast. I think that's what newscasters use. I don't think newscasters sound different than anyone I know. Except Sean Hannity and Glenn Beck. They just sound like assholes.

In Utah, people have an awful tendancey to completely drop the 'T's from words. People say 'Col-un' or 'Mou-un'. It's ridiculous. I always get asked where I'm from because I like to enunciate my words.

I read somewhere that Jersey and NY accents were the original British accent, only it's developed slightly. The common British accent is supposedly the upper class accent that Brits developed during the Revolutionary War.

But that all could just be bullshit.
    I totally sound like a west-coaster. This is me. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I refuse to pronounce Worcester as Wooster/Woosta or Gloucester as Glouster/Glousta. My workmates make fun of me for that. All than -ham cities throw me in a loop, too. I think I'll stick to places like Schenectady, Niskayuna, and Sacandaga.

Oh, and there's no CH, so its -kester, not -chester. 

Flame time: I actually can't stand the Boston accent. How hard is it to pronounce an "r" in a word? I had someone say to me once "do you want to have a drink at the bah?" I stared at said person for a good 20 seconds before I knew what he said.
    Ah, if only it was just the dropping of the "r".  We (they, because I don't) also tend to add them where they don't belong.  My HS principle used to call people Linder (Linda).

Really bad Boston accent's drive me nuts.  There are different levels of how bad it is.  On a scale of 1-10 if you're a 1-5, it won't bother me so much; 5-10 I want to correct everything you say.

Oh and for the record - I hate, HATE how badly Boston native actors go overboard with the accent when they are in a Boston based movie/show.  This goes for Mark Wahlberg, Matt Damon & Ben Affleck.  Go back to the old neighborhood for awhile, it will come back to you and you don't have to make an international ass of yourself over exaggerating it.

• MrsMack10612 said: amrhodes23 said: @PrettyGirlLost I do not. I have a mix of an accent from NY. 
    Flame time: I actually can't stand the Boston accent. How hard is it to pronounce an "r" in a word? I had someone say to me once "do you want to have a drink at the bah?" I stared at said person for a good 20 seconds before I knew what he said. Ah, if only it was just the dropping of the "r".  We (they, because I don't) also tend to add them where they don't belong.  My HS principle used to call people Linder (Linda).

Really bad Boston accent's drive me nuts.  There are different levels of how bad it is.  On a scale of 1-10 if you're a 1-5, it won't bother me so much; 5-10 I want to correct everything you say.

Oh and for the record - I hate, HATE how badly Boston native actors go overboard with the accent when they are in a Boston based movie/show.  This goes for Mark Wahlberg, Matt Damon & Ben Affleck.  Go back to the old neighborhood for awhile, it will come back to you and you don't have to make an international ass of yourself over exaggerating it.
    I forgot about adding the "r". People at work do that, too. At first, I thought you said "I hate, HATE how badly Boston
    drivers..." I had my whole rant about Boston drivers planned out before I realized what you said -_-
  • I just need to know @jenn8984 @MrsMack10612 @lightningsnow @phira @acove2006 @amrhodes23 @grumbledore

Did you ladies all pahk your cah's at Hahvahd Yahd?

I wish :( I'm on the other half of the state. But I am guilty of saying wicked, rotaries, subs, and soda like a true mass hole. I think my one wish in life would be to have a boston or Australian accent. Or make my husband have one lol

After 6 years and 2 boys, finally tying the knot on October 27th, 2013!

• acove2006 said:
    I just need to know @jenn8984 @MrsMack10612 @lightningsnow @phira @acove2006 @amrhodes23 @grumbledore

Did you ladies all pahk your cah's at Hahvahd Yahd?

I wish :( I'm on the other half of the state. But I am guilty of saying wicked, rotaries, subs, and soda like a true mass hole. I think my one wish in life would be to have a boston or Australian accent. Or make my husband have one lol
    rotaries and soda are more northeastern things than anything, I think. I grew up saying those. Although, this is the only area I've been in that had lights IN a rotary, which basically defeats the purpose of one...
  • I'm from NY and get poked fun at all the time at work for my hard, upstate-NY 'a'. Also, I hate the Boston accent. No respect for the letter 'r'. Andplusalso, those things are called roundabouts, and that sugary crap is called pop. 
  • I'm from NY and get poked fun at all the time at work for my hard, upstate-NY 'a'. Also, I hate the Boston accent. No respect for the letter 'r'. Andplusalso, those things are called roundabouts, and that sugary crap is called pop. 

I am from upstate/western NY and I can confirm the roundabouts! But not the pop. I say pop but get teased alllll the time for not calling it soda. But maybe that's more a western NY thing. And yeah, we do have an accent.
  • I'm kind of cheered that roundabouts are called roundabouts in the US. Not that I've ever actually seen one in the US but I rather assumed they'd join the list of transport related differences like sidewalks and pavements, . But I must take issue about pop. It's called FIZZY pop. 
  • I'm kind of cheered that roundabouts are called roundabouts in the US. Not that I've ever actually seen one in the US but I rather assumed they'd join the list of transport related differences like sidewalks and pavements, . But I must take issue about pop. It's called FIZZY pop. 
    We call it coke.  "What kind of coke do you want?"  "Dr. Pepper..."
  • @prettygirllost
    Even though I'm from Worcester (30 miles outside Boston) I do have an accent. I actually had to go to speech class in 1st grade because my mouth wouldn't make the R sound...a lot of kids here had that not just me! Because we learn from our parents and they don't say it! Another thing is the Mark Walhberg type talk- we always call our parents "my motha and my fatha" not mom and dad. 

Funny though- my FI 's is thicker than mine. I introduced him on vacation to one of my west coast friends and she said "oh my god, I always wanted to meet someone with that accent! That's so awesome!" I just looked at her like "You've known me for 5 years!" She was like "You don't sound like that!". I think I do lol. 

I'll give you the roundabout; I go between the two words to describe it. I can't give you the pop thing though. I'm from lower NY (Orange County), and we call it soda.
  • @jellybean52513 wait you do the Canadian "ey?" After watching 5 hours straight of Property Brothers last weekend I told FI I was going to start using that. I actually really like it lol 

• Cookie PusherCookie Pusher member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited April 2014
    I'm from NY and get poked fun at all the time at work for my hard, upstate-NY 'a'. Also, I hate the Boston accent. No respect for the letter 'r'. Andplusalso, those things are called roundabouts, and that sugary crap is called pop. 
    Nope. In Jersey, those are circles and soda. And FFS, why can't anyone with out-of-state plates negotiate a circle around here if you all have them?!

ETA: I've lived in northern NJ for most of my life, and I apparently have a very generic, mid-western sounding accent. At least that's what people tell me when I'm making collections calls. lol
    ~*~*~*~*~

• edited April 2014
    Whoops wrong thread!

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• jenna8984 said:
    @lightningsnow Have you hiked Monadnock in Jaffrey? It's my all time fave. I'd be there every weekend in the summer if it weren't 2 hours from me.
    I don't believe so. We live closer to the MA border than anywhere else. Because of BF's work schedule, vacations up north are very far and few between. I would love to go back up to North Conway just the two of us.

And @PrettyGirlLost I have an extremely thick Boston accent for someone who never lived in the Boston proper. My BF sometimes makes fun of me for it because it gets deeper when I'm pissed. I go straight up Southie when I'm pissed.

And if you do not know what a Southie Boston accent, please take a look at this video. This is what I believe truly shows that deep Southie accent. Clicky
    Formerly known as bubbles053009

:*(

It's ok though if you have one of those soothing, NPR voices.
    I totally do.  But not like that Deb Daigle character on WGBH - I keep almost calling and telling them they should fire her.  Ugh.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Ah, if only it was just the dropping of the "r".  We (they, because I don't) also tend to add them where they don't belong.  My HS principle used to call people Linder (Linda).

At least you know their accent is real. I hate when non-native actors try to fake a Boston accent. The entire movie of Departed makes me want to stab my eyes out and not because of Mark Wahlberg or Matt Damon's accents. Leo and Jack Nicholson have the worst accents in that movie!

• this video is a huge hit in MA- it epitomizes us and the accent

@lightningsnow- Jaffrey is right over the MA/ NH border near Keene State College. Not far from like Leominster/ Nashua. You should def check it out, it's a great hike and state park! 

• lightningsnowlightningsnow member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited April 2014
    @jenna8984 I'll have to talk with the BF for that. And also, JACK CHOP! Also, "Be the baddest dude in Revere!"

ETA: What? Boondock Saints isn't good enough for you about the accent? Whateva!

• The swearing is what makes the Jack Chop because that's really how we talk here.....I grew up using swears as any normal adjective. I used to sit down to dinner with my parents and they would say "so how was your fucking day?" They still do. 
    When I meet people from anywhere else they always freak out and say why are you so angry, why are you swearing so much?! It's not angry, it's just normal vocabulary here!! lol

• @jenna8984 Yes! But that is also what makes Boondock Saints a great Boston movie. Lol. "Where you going? Nowhere. You're fucking going nowhere!"

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards