Wedding Etiquette Forum

is it rude to not serve meat?

Re: is it rude to not serve meat?

• MagicInk said:
    NYCBruin said:
    Not serving meat is one thing; Making everyone eat vegan is another. I can handle having some foods without meat or a cheese/tomato pasta dish. If the cheese is fake tofu cheese, though? Not so much. Give people a variety of choices. You can even have a vegan option or two. Don't make everyone forgo eggs and milk or honey or cheese just because you choose to. Sorry, but I don't agree that everyone will be fine with all-vegan options. I would have had a mutiny on my hands if I had done that to my guests.
    Do you really ONLY eat food with meat, cheese, eggs, milk and honey in them??

Offering only vegan choices isn't "forcing" someone to eat vegan.  Non-vegans eat "vegan" foods all the time.
    Oreos are vegan. I'm just saying. Oreos. Vegan food ain't that bad if Oreos make the list. And now I want Oreos.
    Is nobody else here wondering WTF is in the cream of an Oreo if it's not some type of dairy product?? Just straight up manufactured high fructose corn syrup or what??

• jenna8984 said:
    MagicInk said:
    NYCBruin said:
    Not serving meat is one thing; Making everyone eat vegan is another. I can handle having some foods without meat or a cheese/tomato pasta dish. If the cheese is fake tofu cheese, though? Not so much. Give people a variety of choices. You can even have a vegan option or two. Don't make everyone forgo eggs and milk or honey or cheese just because you choose to. Sorry, but I don't agree that everyone will be fine with all-vegan options. I would have had a mutiny on my hands if I had done that to my guests.

Offering only vegan choices isn't "forcing" someone to eat vegan.  Non-vegans eat "vegan" foods all the time.
    Oreos are vegan. I'm just saying. Oreos. Vegan food ain't that bad if Oreos make the list. And now I want Oreos.
    Is nobody else here wondering WTF is in the cream of an Oreo if it's not some type of dairy product?? Just straight up manufactured high fructose corn syrup or what??

I don't want to think about it. It would probably ruin Oreos for me and then life would be a lot less awesome.
  • it makes me glad I don't like Oreos
  • Oreo cream is basically sugar, vanilla and veg shortening lol

And vegan pizza is crust, sauce and toppings. Like someone else said, instead of being lazy and letting the cheese give the flavor, vegan pizza is balanced with herbs and spices and oils. Soooooo good.
  • jenna8984 said:
    MagicInk said:
    NYCBruin said:

Via ask.com: The Oreo cookie filling is made of 5 ingredients. These five ingredients consist of powdered sugar, granulated sugar, vanilla extract, vegetable shortening and water.
  • I would be perfectly happy with a vegan menu. Like other PPs have said, if I knew that you and your FI were vegan, I wouldn't expect to see meat. I love me some steak and mashed potatoes with sour cream but I'm not going to be unhappy going one night without any meat or dairy. You'll never please everyone, that's a fact. Someone, somewhere will be unhappy. As long as you're doing your absolute best (and it sounds like you are!), then be happy with your decision. 
  • yay!!! You're going to FEED me an appropriate amount of food for the time of day? AWESOME!
    And to top it off, Its likely something I haven't tried so I get to try something new?  Cool!!!!

I just don't want to see a 'steak - $15' option on your menu.  
    Other than that...cool by me.

Oh, and if someone is that upset about serving vegan food...at a vegan wedding...come on.  It's like going to a Tamil wedding and expecting Chinese food.
  • I am a meat and potatoes girl. I am infamous for my picky eating, but I would completely understand a vegan wedding. I wouldn't think it was rude, as long as their were multiple options and at least one of the options wasn't too odd (pizza is delish, though I don't know how it is without cheese?). I generally think that as long as the host serves food that the typical person will be able to eat, they aren't being rude if they choose to exclude certain food groups. 

For example: If you only served extremely hot/spicy food, that would probably be rude (in a standard American wedding) because it is pretty well-known that not everyone could eat extremely hot/spicy food. But if you decided you weren't going to serve potatoes because you didn't like the look of them, that isn't rude. There are plenty of other options for food! I view veganism as the same. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • It's not rude at all. A wedding is supposed to be a celebration of the two that are getting married. You and your SO are vegan, your food should be vegan. You should let your guests know what their entree choices are in the invitation so they have a heads up and you might want to have extra choices (extra finger foods at cocktail hour and maybe extra sides as people who are used to eating meat tend need a bit more to eat) Your guests will probably be surprised at how tasty vegan food can be! 
  • It's not rude at all. A wedding is supposed to be a celebration of the two that are getting married. You and your SO are vegan, your food should be vegan. You should let your guests know what their entree choices are in the invitation so they have a heads up and you might want to have extra choices (extra finger foods at cocktail hour and maybe extra sides as people who are used to eating meat tend need a bit more to eat) Your guests will probably be surprised at how tasty vegan food can be! 
    Technically the ceremony is them coming together and the reception is a thank-you for guests who atteneded the ceremony.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

And vegan pizza is crust, sauce and toppings. Like someone else said, instead of being lazy and letting the cheese give the flavor, vegan pizza is balanced with herbs and spices and oils. Soooooo good.

I love eggs and cheese way too much to ever be vegan, sorry not sorry!

If as a couple you are vegan due to moral/ethical beliefs on animal cruelty, as a guest I can respect and support your decision. Im sure the food will be delicious even though I have never had a vegan meal.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

If as a couple you are vegan due to moral/ethical beliefs on animal cruelty, as a guest I can respect and support your decision. Im sure the food will be delicious even though I have never had a vegan meal.

I wasn't asking you to?

Why do people act like the mere act of choosing a lifestyle for yourself is the same as saying everyone else should do it too?
  • I say this as a meat eater: if you and your FI are vegans and are not comfortable serving meat or other animal products, I think that is perfectly okay. You shouldn't feel forced to serve something you have a moral objection to at your own wedding. 
  • Out of curiosity, what are these multiple choices you speak of?
    I love trying new food and "vegan" doesn't sound daunting to me. I like hummus and mushrooms and all that. But my bf doesn't like most of the examples pps have mentioned in this thread. I think it comes down to what the choices are, regardless if they're vegan or meatacular.
  • just googled vegan wedding food and came up with this website.  http://www.vegan-nutritionista.com/vegan-wedding-menu.html  Tons of ideas, I just copied the Entrees, but they have salads and apps and soups, etc.

Entree Ideas for Vegan Weddings

Mediterranean-style Entrees:

• Spicy ratatouille served over rice
    • Couscous stuffed portabello mushrooms
    • Pasta primavera with seasonal vegetables with sauteed onions or marinara sauce
    • Mushroom phyllo roulade with smoked-paprika creme
    • Tofu-squash ravioli in a cashew cream sauce
    • Roasted bell peppers stuffed with bulgur, herbs, artichoke hearts, kalamata olives, and toasted pine-nut stuffing
    • Roasted vegetable lasagna with vegan ricotta, broccoli rabe with white beans, sundried tomatoes, chili, and garlic

American-style Entrees:

• Rice with slivered almonds and snap peas
    • Southern fried mock chicken with BBQ sauce
    • Seitan meatloaf with mushroom gravy
    • Lemon-rosemary mock chicken
    • Mushroom ragout with pasta
    • Refried black beans and tomato rice with guacamole
    • Sweet plantains and corn tortillas with pico de gallo
    • Stuffed butternut squash
    • Peppers stuffed with rice and vegetables

Asian-style Entrees:

• Seitan and veggie skewers with plum sauce
    • Vegetable Thai curry with steamed quinoa
    • Angel hair pasta with vegetables in a ginger soy sauce
    • Vegetable Samosas and Pakoras
    • Chickpea curry
    • Spiced spinach and potatoes with mango chutney
    • Pistachio-crusted tofu over horseradish potatoes and wilted spinach

I wasn't asking you to?

Why do people act like the mere act of choosing a lifestyle for yourself is the same as saying everyone else should do it too?
    I never said you did, I was just responding to the comment about a cheese less pizza in a general sense.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Yeahhh there is not one thing on there my bf would eat except maybe the pasta primavera.
    I have a question... is rice really an entree option?
  • Yeahhh there is not one thing on there my bf would eat except maybe the pasta primavera. I have a question... is rice really an entree option?
    I don't see anything there that looks good to me either.  And I don't consider rice with slivered almonds and peas to be an entree.

• Viczaesar said:

Yeahhh there is not one thing on there my bf would eat except maybe the pasta primavera.
    I have a question... is rice really an entree option?

I don't see anything there that looks good to me either.  And I don't consider rice with slivered almonds and peas to be an entree.

I don't consider that particular rice dish an entrée either, that's more of a side dish.

But I think OP is doing a food truck anyways.

• saacjwsaacjw member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    adk19 said:
    just googled vegan wedding food and came up with this website.  http://www.vegan-nutritionista.com/vegan-wedding-menu.html  Tons of ideas, I just copied the Entrees, but they have salads and apps and soups, etc.

• Pasta primavera with seasonal vegetables with sauteed onions or marinara sauce
    • Roasted bell peppers stuffed with bulgur, herbs, artichoke hearts, kalamata olives, and toasted pine-nut stuffing
    • Roasted vegetable lasagna with vegan ricotta, broccoli rabe with white beans, sundried tomatoes, chili, and garlic

American-style Entrees:

Asian-style Entrees:

• Chickpea curry

I want everything on this list except the mushroom things. Dude. That lasagna looks tasty and I love ratatouille. Did this list come with recipes?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I am a meat and potatoes girl. I am infamous for my picky eating, but I would completely understand a vegan wedding. I wouldn't think it was rude, as long as their were multiple options and at least one of the options wasn't too odd (pizza is delish, though I don't know how it is without cheese?). I generally think that as long as the host serves food that the typical person will be able to eat, they aren't being rude if they choose to exclude certain food groups. 

For example: If you only served extremely hot/spicy food, that would probably be rude (in a standard American wedding) because it is pretty well-known that not everyone could eat extremely hot/spicy food. But if you decided you weren't going to serve potatoes because you didn't like the look of them, that isn't rude. There are plenty of other options for food! I view veganism as the same. 
    I actually eat my pizza without cheese (dairy issues). I prefer it taste-wise over those with cheese because I can taste all the seasonings in the sauce, all the toppings, the dough more than I could with a mouth full of cheese. That's just me, though.
  • I eat meat but wouldn't expect a vegan to serve meat. Vegan food is delicious, and I would be excited to try something new at your wedding.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Out of curiosity, what are these multiple choices you speak of? I love trying new food and "vegan" doesn't sound daunting to me. I like hummus and mushrooms and all that. But my bf doesn't like most of the examples pps have mentioned in this thread. I think it comes down to what the choices are, regardless if they're vegan or meatacular.
    vegan burgers, sushi, tacos, salads, hummus platter, and hot subs!
  • adk19 said:
    just googled vegan wedding food and came up with this website.  http://www.vegan-nutritionista.com/vegan-wedding-menu.html  Tons of ideas, I just copied the Entrees, but they have salads and apps and soups, etc.

American-style Entrees:

Asian-style Entrees:

• Chickpea curry

all that sounds pretty great
  • Out of curiosity, what are these multiple choices you speak of? I love trying new food and "vegan" doesn't sound daunting to me. I like hummus and mushrooms and all that. But my bf doesn't like most of the examples pps have mentioned in this thread. I think it comes down to what the choices are, regardless if they're vegan or meatacular.
    How do you do sushi w/o any fish. . . just california roll type sushi rolls?

• Out of curiosity, what are these multiple choices you speak of?
    I love trying new food and "vegan" doesn't sound daunting to me. I like hummus and mushrooms and all that. But my bf doesn't like most of the examples pps have mentioned in this thread. I think it comes down to what the choices are, regardless if they're vegan or meatacular.

Tacos with what? What's in the hot subs?
    I already know my know my bf wouldn't like the other options.
    Sushi is one of my favorite things on the planet... but what would be the protein in them?
  • j

.,M harliebanana.com/assets/images/Colour%20%20Print%20Page/Butterfly120X120pix.c gV/;,/
    No, california rolls have imitation crab, which contains fish. vegan sushi has seitan, tempura or tofu in place of fish meat :)
  • oops, my kiddo was smacking on the keyboard. i thought i fixed it but guess not
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards