Wedding Etiquette Forum

(closed)

Re: (closed)

• edited July 2014
  • Absolutely agree with PPs.  This may be a sign that you need to re-evaluate your plans.  The dry reception is not the issue.  You can absolutely have a dry rehearsal and/or dry reception.  It sounds like your reception plans are fine, based on what you've already shared.

The issue is trying to dictate the behavior of adults for the remainder of the time.  As PPs have suggested, you can provide guests with "House Rules" that are appropriate to where you are staying.  They can include the general guidelines for the use of the property - ie: park here, check in here, gate code is..., etc.  and your own rule of no alcohol in the house. 

But that's not a realistic expectation for people who enjoy alcohol in their lives.  It is highly likely that even with your rule people will attempt to drink.  They may, out of love and respect for you, not drink at the wedding itself, but the rest of the vacation should be theirs to enjoy as they please.  You might be happier and more at ease if you think about scaling back your plans or further reducing your guest list.
    Anniversary

• If the people whom are coming were capable of controlling themselves, that would be a different story. I know that they enjoy to be intoxicated, and that's what they do when they drink. They drink to get drunk. There is no 'have two glasses of wine,' or 'have a few beers.' I don't need help. There is nothing wrong with being uncomfortable around drinking. I don't need 'help.' I think that many of you were very rude without reason to be. I didn't ask if you thought it was appropriate, did I? 

I think that if anyone needs booze that bad, they're the ones who need help. I'M the one paying for it, so I'm going to be comfortable. I didn't ask your opinion. I asked how to word it, but obviously you just want to bash me for using 'wanting to cry' as a description. I am not controlling. It is not my job to host someone's drunk and stupid weekend. I don't have to be uncomfortable just so that somebody else can drink. 

There is no reason to bash on here. Isn't that in the community guidelines? Asking if I'm going to cry at family functions? Drinking uncontrollably is NOT normal. Sorry! I hope you all feel better for getting in your 2 cents and being so incredibly rude, (as well as commenting on something you weren't asked about). 

• We are not changing our wedding plans. My fiance doesn't think that his family is going to have any problems with it. I didn't ask for opinons, and I'm still not. I am not being rude, controlling, or insensible. It just makes me uncomfortable. It is my pocketbook and therefore my house for the time we are there. To answer some of your previous questions, there are only 4 people who would be interested in drinking during the entire weekend. @flantastic, I am not wrong. You are unkind.
    When you post any kind of topic on a public forum, you're going to get opinions.  Isn't that the point of the post? To get a group's thoughts/opinions/advice on what you're asking?
  • I am side eyeing this and yes, I have to ask:How is this okay etiquette wise, I am legitimately asking. Especially with Adults that are of age. I can understand not smoking in the house but to tell someone they can not have a glass of wine or a beer. Adults should be able to drink without needing monitoring?

Live fast, die young. Bad Girls do it well. Suki Zuki.

• AlexisA01 said:
    I am side eyeing this and yes, I have to ask:How is this okay etiquette wise, I am legitimately asking. Especially with Adults that are of age. I can understand not smoking in the house but to tell someone they can not have a glass of wine or a beer. Adults should be able to drink without needing monitoring?
    Because she's paying for it, so it's a matter of her house, her rules. If I invite you to my home for the weekend, and I don't drink or want alcohol in it, you have to respect that. Same thing if I'm footing the bill for a cabin rental.
    Anniversary
  • edited July 2014
  • blueskies13, I also get a little uncomfortable when in the company of some of the really heavy drinkers in my family, many of whom are invited to my wedding in a couple of weeks. It's hard to reconcile not wanting to limit the fun of others (by controlling the availability of alcohol in this case) with the desire to keep a few individuals from getting too far out of control. In my situation, we decided that our best decision was to only offer beer and wine but no liquor at the reception. However, we have also empowered the bartender and event staff to cut off any individual who is getting exceptionally sloppy (like falling over or getting sick in flower bushes, etc.). I respect your desire for a dry reception and dry weekend.

My opinions about whether or not a dry house visit should happen, I think word of mouth is probably your best bet in terms of informing your guests about your preferences regarding a dry weekend. Just putting it on the invitations feels like you would just be begging guests to try to circumvent it. At least with word of mouth, you can attach reasoning to the rule, which might make it easier for your guests to stomach.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• We are not changing our wedding plans. My fiance doesn't think that his family is going to have any problems with it. I didn't ask for opinons, and I'm still not. I am not being rude, controlling, or insensible. It just makes me uncomfortable. It is my pocketbook and therefore my house for the time we are there. To answer some of your previous questions, there are only 4 people who would be interested in drinking during the entire weekend. @flantastic, I am not wrong. You are unkind.
    Why don't you just not invite those 4 people? That seems to be your easiest option.

Many posters told you that because you're paying, it's okay to state house rules. 

I do think you're being somewhat unreasonable with this, esp. since you didn't mention that these 4 people you're worried about apparently have a substance problem when PP's mentioned you had gaps in logic in your first post, specifically wanting to cry if someone drank at the vacation home, yet you don't have a problem eating dinner at a winery. 

And of course, you don't have to BUY anyone booze, but what are you going to do if you find out someone sneaks in a bottle or flask? Are you going to take it away from them?

Anniversary
  • MegEn1MegEn1 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    OP, let me ask you a question:

It sounds like you're okay around alcohol, but not okay around drunks. Would it be possible to, while not providing alcohol, not forbid it, but via word of mouth make sure that people were aware that you aren't doing any parties, you don't want to get hammered, you just want to have a nice, relaxing weekend? 

Dealing with drunks in socially unacceptable situations is a time-honored tradition. There are ways around it. 

I don't say this because I think you shouldn't be allowed to make the rules in your own house. I say this because I think the 'no alcohol' rule will not get the result that you want, which is no drunks.

Achievement Unlocked: Survived Your Wedding! 
  • Aray82Aray82 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    PDKH said:
    If the people whom are coming were capable of controlling themselves, that would be a different story. I know that they enjoy to be intoxicated, and that's what they do when they drink. They drink to get drunk. There is no 'have two glasses of wine,' or 'have a few beers.' I don't need help. There is nothing wrong with being uncomfortable around drinking. I don't need 'help.' I think that many of you were very rude without reason to be. I didn't ask if you thought it was appropriate, did I? 

I think that if anyone needs booze that bad, they're the ones who need help. I'M the one paying for it, so I'm going to be comfortable. I didn't ask your opinion. I asked how to word it, but obviously you just want to bash me for using 'wanting to cry' as a description. I am not controlling. It is not my job to host someone's drunk and stupid weekend. I don't have to be uncomfortable just so that somebody else can drink. 

There is no reason to bash on here. Isn't that in the community guidelines? Asking if I'm going to cry at family functions? Drinking uncontrollably is NOT normal. Sorry! I hope you all feel better for getting in your 2 cents and being so incredibly rude, (as well as commenting on something you weren't asked about). 
    Ok, so they get drunk. I also get drunk. I was drunk Friday off wine. I managed to go out with my friends, dance, take a cab home, chug some water, wake up, and have a productive Saturday: I worked out, paid bills, and ran a couple errands. SHOCKING FOR SOMEONE WHO GETS DRUNK, I KNOW!

Unless these people are assaulting you, someone else, or damaging property, I think it's controlling to tell them they cannot drink. Or if they are that bad when intoxicated, they do need help and I wouldn't invite them if I were you. 

As to the bolded, I HATE this attitude. It's ridiculous. Of course no one NEEDS alcohol, but it's an enjoyable part of adult life for many - especially when on vacation. There are all sorts of things people don't need over the span of four days, but you aren't intending on banning desserts, sex, boating, laying out, or anything else right?

And as for our comments, that's like someone coming on here and saying, "I want to politely ban the color red from my wedding. What's the best way to do that?" We wouldn't tell them the best wording to do something so ridiculous; we'd tell them they were being ridiculous. 
    All of this right here. As someone with a few recovering alcoholics in her family, I can tell you that "getting drunk" and even "falling down drunk" are in no way a clear indication of whether someone has a serious drinking problem. In fact, the ones who seem like they're able to manage it better are sometimes the ones in need of the most help--because they know they have a problem and have figured out how to hide it! Even the standard definition of an alcoholic in the medical community (x amount of drinks per month/per sitting) is not always an accurate indication of serious drinking issues.

OP, I'm sorry you did not get the advice you were hoping for, but I can tell you that this forum is one of the best at giving honest advice, albeit blunt at times. These posters genuinely want to be helpful and offer you some perspective that may prevent you from being unintentionally rude to your nearest and dearest. I will just echo PPs in saying that while you technically could ban alcohol at a house you're paying for, it would not be the best way to treat your adult guests. If you do suspect that someone close to you does have a drinking problem, handle it with that person on a case-by-case basis, apart from your wedding weekend. 
  • AlexisA01 said:
    I am side eyeing this and yes, I have to ask:How is this okay etiquette wise, I am legitimately asking. Especially with Adults that are of age. I can understand not smoking in the house but to tell someone they can not have a glass of wine or a beer. Adults should be able to drink without needing monitoring?
    I believe in house rules.   The OP is renting the house, so he is within her rights to make such rules.  

Now this is where it gets controlling.   It appears the OP is taking it a step farther and saying you  are not even allowed go to a restaurant and have a glass of wine as long as your are staying in my house.    Yeah,  I will respect not drinking in your house, I will not extended that to any place I might go to while staying at said place.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • edited July 2014
  • You're not being controlling. You're just telling grown adults what legal behavior you're not allowing. How is that NOT controlling?

I also wonder how far away from civilization the house is. What's stopping the guests from boozing it at local bars or restaurants? What will you do if guests show up drunk?

My honest advice is either don't rent the house or don't invite the problem drinkers to stay in it. If you think everyone else shares your same philosophy then just share the home with those people.
  • edited July 2014
    People can go wherever they want to get a drink. If they want to go out to a restaurant and have some wine, that's fine by me. I just know that these people like to sit and drink and drink and drink. My goal is not to be mean or controlling. Also, these 4 people are people that we can't not invite.
    So, the rules are they just can't drink in the house for that weekend? If they go out that weekend after the wedding to the restaurant where they drink and get drunk, take a taxi back to house, that would be ok?

ETA: I'm asking out of curiosity.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards