Chit Chat

Hey you pregnant people

Re: Hey you pregnant people

• My parents didn't find out with me and my older sister, but my younger sister they did beacuse they really wanted a boy. Then SURPRISE: My brother came along.

Sidenote: Was it on here that someone didn't want to know the gender of their baby, but their mother was insistent and bribed the ultrasound technician and ended up telling everyone the gender?
    FYI - sex, not gender. ;-) We're PC here on CC.
    Isn't this a little extreme and silly?  Neonates can't speak let alone decide that they wish to identify as a gender that differs from their genitalia. . . so it seems fine and not at all insensitive to use the terms sex and gender  interchangeably when referring to babies.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• jdluvr06 said:
    I've been looking at a lot of baby stuff and it is overwhelming. Not just the cute stuff but the bottles, pacifiers, bibs, bath stuff, ect. There is too much. Why can't they have like three different kinds of bottles instead of 50 million? I mean does there really have to be that many kinds of variations?
    I walk down the formula aisle and have a panic attack. How do you know which kind to get? Why are there so many kinds? What if baby doesn't like it? How do I know baby doesn't like it? What do I do with leftover formula baby doesn't like? 

I'm hoping wifey is successful at breastfeeding just so I don't have to deal with the formula aisle.
  • edited January 2015
    When I let the gender-biased part of my brain go crazy, I really want a Mary Poppins nursery. With kites on the walls and little umbrellas for a mobile, and a penguin, and "practically perfect in every way."

• Money,money buy buy buy. There is too much stuff that really does not improve anything for baby or parents. Lots of keeping up with the Joneses as with Christmas shopping overload and pushing products through kids.
    Are you referring to the ladies on this thread? I'm not seeing too much keeping up with the Joneses here as much as just nice chatting about ideas for future kids. Some of this stuff doesn't require much or any money at all, in fact.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• MagicInk said:
    jdluvr06 said:
    I've been looking at a lot of baby stuff and it is overwhelming. Not just the cute stuff but the bottles, pacifiers, bibs, bath stuff, ect. There is too much. Why can't they have like three different kinds of bottles instead of 50 million? I mean does there really have to be that many kinds of variations?
    I walk down the formula aisle and have a panic attack. How do you know which kind to get? Why are there so many kinds? What if baby doesn't like it? How do I know baby doesn't like it? What do I do with leftover formula baby doesn't like? 

I'm hoping wifey is successful at breastfeeding just so I don't have to deal with the formula aisle.

I've done that too. Like I really wish breast feeding was an option for me so I wouldn't have to think about it. I'm also aware I'm getting ahead of myself. I'm not even ten weeks yet. Lol.
  • edited January 2015

Money,money buy buy buy.

There is too much stuff that really does not improve anything for baby or parents. Lots of keeping up with the Joneses as with Christmas shopping overload and pushing products through kids.

Are you referring to the ladies on this thread? I'm not seeing too much keeping up with the Joneses here as much as just nice chatting about ideas for future kids. Some of this stuff doesn't require much or any money at all, in fact.

*************etf box fail************

I took this as more a comment in general. And totally agree with it. To @jdluvr06's point, its pretty overwhelming. I went into Buy Buy Baby for a gift for my sister...that fucking place is as big as bed bath and beyond with ALL baby shit. Piled to the ceiling!!!

There's a lot of industry in babies (XO group's business model is fucking genius for taking the most emotional times in life and making industry out of them in an online format all in one place, BTW). Calling it out is just a fact, I didn't see any bad intent..
    *********************************************************************************

• jdluvr06 said:
    MagicInk said:
    jdluvr06 said:

I've done that too. Like I really wish breast feeding was an option for me so I wouldn't have to think about it. I'm also aware I'm getting ahead of myself. I'm not even ten weeks yet. Lol.
    We're not even pregnant yet. So...you're doing better then me.

I can't even do the diaper aisle. Why all the choices!!! Just someone be like, put your baby in this and feed them this, so that I don't accidentlly make my kid into a serial killer or something.
  • Money,money buy buy buy. There is too much stuff that really does not improve anything for baby or parents. Lots of keeping up with the Joneses as with Christmas shopping overload and pushing products through kids.
    *************etf box fail************ I took this as more a comment in general. And totally agree with it. To @jdluvr06's point, its pretty overwhelming. I went into Buy Buy Baby for a gift for my sister...that fucking place is as big as bed bath and beyond with ALL baby shit. Piled to the ceiling!!! There's a lot of industry in babies (XO group's business model is fucking genius for taking the most emotional times in life and making industry out of them in an online format all in one place, BTW). Calling it out is just a fact, I didn't see any bad intent..
    Buy Buy Baby is the worst name for a store ever. Also, you're probably right.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• @magicink I cant even think about the diaper aisle.

@ohannabelle I cant imagine spending that much on a stroller. Also I'm scare to look at stroller options. Lol. 
  • I try not to judge extravagance, but recently my sister was carrying on about a friend who had spent almost 2000 on a stroller. Carrying on in a positive way, with actual admiration in her voice.

Okay, I'm fucking judgy. It just happened to be at a time when a couple I know was fighting with their insurance company to get the cost of their daughter's new wheelchair covered, because the old one was hurting her, and bruising her. 

And yes, I get that one really has nothing to do with the other, but it left me feeling ugly. No baby needs a 2000 dollar stroller. That's just gross and showy. It isn't for the baby. It's for public display of wealth, which is vulgar. I judge. 
    Plus they're going to feel really silly when their $2000 stroller gets stolen the first time they take their baby somewhere.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• MagicInk said:
    levioosa said:
    Speaking of pregnancy related things..... I was just on Pinterest and saw a game for a baby shower... Pin the sperm on the egg.

Nope. 
    Oh I've seen this before and totally want it at the potential shower for our possible child.

Though it'd go over awesome with my group. Because we're all 12.
    When I was dating my ex, his niece had a Period Party (I don't remember what they're called... I hope that's not offensive) where we celebrated the fact she got her first period. The game: Pin the period on the pad.  It was a really weird party.
  • I try not to judge extravagance, but recently my sister was carrying on about a friend who had spent almost 2000 on a stroller. Carrying on in a positive way, with actual admiration in her voice.

Okay, I'm fucking judgy. It just happened to be at a time when a couple I know was fighting with their insurance company to get the cost of their daughter's new wheelchair covered, because the old one was hurting her, and bruising her. 

And yes, I get that one really has nothing to do with the other, but it left me feeling ugly. No baby needs a 2000 dollar stroller. That's just gross and showy. It isn't for the baby. It's for public display of wealth, which is vulgar. I judge. 
    Plus they're going to feel really silly when their $2000 stroller gets stolen the first time they take their baby somewhere.
    Reminds me of the episode in The Office where Dwight trashes Jan's super expensive stroller. 

I must be some kind of serious craphead, because I enjoy this thought. I will chuckle if this happens.

• MagicInk said:

levioosa said:

Speaking of pregnancy related things..... I was just on Pinterest and saw a game for a baby shower... Pin the sperm on the egg.

Nope. 

Oh I've seen this before and totally want it at the potential shower for our possible child.

When I was dating my ex, his niece had a Period Party (I don't remember what they're called... I hope that's not offensive) where we celebrated the fact she got her first period. The game: Pin the period on the pad.  It was a really weird party.

Yuck! I definitely did not want everyone and their mother to know I had gotten my period, let alone throw it a party ><

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• levioosa said:
    MagicInk said:
    levioosa said:

Nope. 

Was it like this?
    I can't see the image. That's probably a good thing.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

I feel the same about people who buy designer shoes for their kids. I don't care if you can afford to buy your baby/toddler Uggs, it's just fucking stupid. You are blowing how much on shoes they will wear a few times then outgrow?

• levioosa said:
    MagicInk said:
    levioosa said:

Nope. 

Was it like this?
    I can't see the image. That's probably a good thing.
    It's a hilarious video, lol. 

• MagicInk said:
    levioosa said:

Nope. 

Ew.. Why? That would be so embarrassing.
  • We're going to TTC in the fall. I haven't decided whether I'd want to find out or not. At first I thought I didn't want to find out, but then I really don't think I could wait. I saw something on Pinterest (I know, I know) where the couple had the tech write the sex down and put it in the envelope, then they took it to the bakery and had them bake a cake with pink or blue filling so that they would find out with everyone else when they cut into the cake. That's kinda the best of both worlds, I think. Some surprise but not waiting several more months. Like lolo I'd do that at the shower as opposed to having a separate gender reveal party. 

We just live in a one bedroom apartment so we won't have a nursery unless some major shit goes down and we manage to buy a house. Our bedroom has just enough room for a co-sleeper, which is what I want to do anyway. We'd probably be buying a house right around the time baby would be old enough to stop co-sleeping and have their own room. 

I'd also want gender neutral, although if I did have a girl I probably would get overwhelmed by temptation and get all the sparkly things. Dunno about theme, maybe something book or animal related. 
  • Between Period Parties, the Penis restaurant in China from the other thread, and that article going around about that stupid woman knitting with a ball of yawn shoved up her hoohah I'm done with genitalia.
    WUT

• Money,money buy buy buy.

There is too much stuff that really does not improve anything for baby or parents. Lots of keeping up with the Joneses as with Christmas shopping overload and pushing products through kids.

No, I was referring to the poster saying there were far too many items on sale just for nursing, too many so that you can not choose between things with no discernible differences.

The industry of selling things for babies and gifts is out of control, NOT the posters here.
  • Between Period Parties, the Penis restaurant in China from the other thread, and that article going around about that stupid woman knitting with a ball of yawn shoved up her hoohah I'm done with genitalia.
    Fucking performance artists.

I saw that awhile ago and was like "Why? That seems really uncomfortable" and she's all "it makes me feel more like a woman"...oh, you're a performance artist. Fucking performance artists.
  • MagicInk said:
    Between Period Parties, the Penis restaurant in China from the other thread, and that article going around about that stupid woman knitting with a ball of yawn shoved up her hoohah I'm done with genitalia.

I saw that awhile ago and was like "Why? That seems really uncomfortable" and she's all "it makes me feel more like a woman"...oh, you're a performance artist. Fucking performance artists.
    Dammit.  Now I'm going to go to the grocery store tonight and inevitably see a woman with a red or white knitted scarf or something and I'll think of that and vomit.
  • edited January 2015
    When I become pregnant, if I have a boy... I want to decorate the nursery with stupid blue whales.  If I have a girl, I might do a spring garden kind of colors.  I love light pink and green together (it was the color of my bridal shower my sister had for me.)
      We definitely would tell NO ONE but my twin sister the gender of the baby until the baby is born.  I feel people go nuts with girl clothes, and they can never wear them all.  Plus, I want most of the gear to be gender neutral so I can reuse it for next spawn.
       I HATE HATE HATE people knowing if you are having a boy or  girl.  So many people give so many fucks about the family name, and always show their disappointment over girls. I feel it makes girls feel insignificant, and it breaks my heart. I was that child.  I was named after my father, then he had a boy and named my brother after him too.  Then, when my brother had a child, my father said, "Just my luck, he is having a girl."  I have heard similar things from H's family, and it irritates me to no end.  They have all girl babies in the family, and call it the curse. They seem to be joking, but I don't find it funny. I don't give a fuck about the family name. The same people that want boys to keep the family name alive, are always disappointed to have girls.  If you ask me, teach your daughters that taking your partner's married name is their choice and the name might not die off so quickly . Ick.
  • MagicInk said:
    Between Period Parties, the Penis restaurant in China from the other thread, and that article going around about that stupid woman knitting with a ball of yawn shoved up her hoohah I'm done with genitalia.

Yeah I was reading about that eariler. She said that she would do this all month even if she starts menstrating. I gagged a lot reading that.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards