Chit Chat

Hey you pregnant people

Re: Hey you pregnant people

• When I become pregnant, if I have a boy... I want to decorate the nursery with stupid blue whales.  If I have a girl, I might do a spring garden kind of colors.  I love light pink and green together (it was the color of my bridal shower my sister had for me.)
      We definitely would tell NO ONE but my twin sister the gender of the baby until the baby is born.  I feel people go nuts with girl clothes, and they can never wear them all.  Plus, I want most of the gear to be gender neutral so I can reuse it for next spawn.
       I HATE HATE HATE people knowing if you are having a boy or  girl.  So many people give so many fucks about the family name, and always show their disappointment over girls. I feel it makes girls feel insignificant, and it breaks my heart. I was that child.  I was named after my father, then he had a boy and named my brother after him too.  Then, when my brother had a child, my father said, "Just my luck, he is having a girl."  I have heard similar things from H's family, and it irritates me to no end.  They have all girl babies in the family, and call it the curse. They seem to be joking, but I don't find it funny. I don't give a fuck about the family name. The same people that want boys to keep the family name alive, are always disappointed to have girls.  If you ask me, teach your daughters that taking your partner's married name is their choice and the name might not die off so quickly . Ick.

My family is the opposite - my mother regularly makes it known that's she's disappointed my nephew was a boy and tells me "well you will have the girls for me!"

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• @AprilH81‌ - I can't look at the pictures closely enough on mobile to be 100%, but I'm nearly positive those hats are crochet, not knit.
  • MagicInk said:
    jdluvr06 said:
    I've been looking at a lot of baby stuff and it is overwhelming. Not just the cute stuff but the bottles, pacifiers, bibs, bath stuff, ect. There is too much. Why can't they have like three different kinds of bottles instead of 50 million? I mean does there really have to be that many kinds of variations?
    I walk down the formula aisle and have a panic attack. How do you know which kind to get? Why are there so many kinds? What if baby doesn't like it? How do I know baby doesn't like it? What do I do with leftover formula baby doesn't like? 

I'm hoping wifey is successful at breastfeeding just so I don't have to deal with the formula aisle.
    @magicink I know! My friend's baby cried her face off for the first 4 months and she just thought it was colic/ nothing you can do about it so she had a miserable time. Then found out that the baby was intolerant to whatever is in standard formula and breastmilk (lactose? I dunno?), so she had to switch to super expensive special formula. I'm like wtf, how will I ever know these things?!? 

• I absolutely intend to find out the sex if/when the time comes. We'll probably be pretty open regarding the sex and name (we're not concerned about people "stealing" the names, since they're quite common names anyway). Definitely no gender reveal parties, though.

I'm going to restrain myself from having a gender-themed nursery. Avoiding gender stereotyping > imposing my love of hot pink on my hypothetical daughter. Aside from that, it's more practical to be able to reuse nursery stuff in the event that the second kid is a different sex.

• We are not finding out. I had to convince DH a bit, as he does NOT like knowing surprises. (He begs me every day the month before his birthday to tell him what his gift is, or at least give him a little clue.) I really like the idea of a total surprise. :) 

When we moved in, we knew we were going to be trying right away, so we painted the piano/craft room (which will be the nursery) a turquoise color. I figure that can really go either way, depending on which other colors we put with it.
  • jdluvr06 said:
    MagicInk said:
    Between Period Parties, the Penis restaurant in China from the other thread, and that article going around about that stupid woman knitting with a ball of yawn shoved up her hoohah I'm done with genitalia.
    Fucking performance artists.

I saw that awhile ago and was like "Why? That seems really uncomfortable" and she's all "it makes me feel more like a woman"...oh, you're a performance artist. Fucking performance artists.

Yeah I was reading about that eariler. She said that she would do this all month even if she starts menstrating. I gagged a lot reading that.

That is GROSS! I really hope she doesn't gift her crafts to people after that.
  • MagicInk said:

My parents didn't find out with me and my older sister, but my younger sister they did beacuse they really wanted a boy. Then SURPRISE: My brother came along.

Sidenote: Was it on here that someone didn't want to know the gender of their baby, but their mother was insistent and bribed the ultrasound technician and ended up telling everyone the gender?

FYI - sex, not gender. ;-) We're PC here on CC.

Isn't this a little extreme and silly?  Neonates can't speak let alone decide that they wish to identify as a gender that differs from their genitalia. . . so it seems fine and not at all insensitive to use the terms sex and gender  interchangeably when referring to babies.

It's not about the infant, it's about the grown up humans reading along who may not identify with their biological sex. The sooner, and more, we stop seeing gender as predetermined by biology and completely binary, the better we are as a whole.

Just like we use SO or partner or spouse, when we don't know if the gender of someone's SO. Am I terribly offended when people say "So Fiona, what does your husband do?" no, I wear a wedding ring, I present as female, our society says I have a husband. However, it makes me come out and each and every time I have a conversation with someone. Some people are cool with me being gay. Others are significantly less cool with it. And I get to play those odds. So instead we say "So Fiona, what does your spouse do?" and then I can use gender neutral pronouns if I want. 

Our language helps shape our society. Is anything I'm saying actually making sense? I'm very tired. I feel like I started with a good thought, but all the words were hard to think of.

Yes, it made sense. I see what you are saying.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• levioosa said:

Between Period Parties, the Penis restaurant in China from the other thread, and that article going around about that stupid woman knitting with a ball of yawn shoved up her hoohah I'm done with genitalia.

WUT

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/4386419

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• I'm 28 weeks and we are having a boy! If it were totally up to me, I would have been surprised but my husband really really wanted to find out and I'm a planner so I actually didn't mind too much about finding out. Now I'm glad we did, though I always think there is some cool element of having it be a surprise when the baby is born. 

I'm so excited to meet him, this has been the slowest 6 months of my life and I still have just under 3 to go. Its very weird feeling to me to have someone move around in there all the time and be so close to them but not have any idea what they are like or what they look like. 

We haven't yet selected a name, but we're narrowing it down. We'll do something pretty traditional but its such a big and hard decision we keep putting it off. 

Our nursery theme is going to be pretty neutral and classic, not too baby. Were doing it in navy and "khaki" colored with citron/lime green accents. 
  • I'm not gonna lie...you ladies have scared the crap out of me! Bottles...diapers...and formula oh my. Not to mention not fucking this kid up for life. Totally having a hormonal pregnant lady melt down... Where are my cheese doodles?!?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Man I saw so many new responses and thought there was a fight. What a relief that babies just make us chatty! We will start TTC after the wedding (holy fuck it's getting close!) and I definitely want to find out. FI doesn't, so I will just have to make him change his mind :smiling_imp: I plan to gender the shit out of my kids' rooms and go gender neutral on things I actually cam reuse (maybe...if they aren't recalled between kids because that seems super common.) And whatever if one kid of one sex uses the other kid of another sex's stuff. I'm pretty sure girls don't spontaneously grow a penis if they sleep in a blue pack and play.
    I know. I was thinking, Jenna didn't you learn your lesson the last time you made a thread that the bumpies came into. Good to see this is just light hearted chit chat.

• Between Period Parties, the Penis restaurant in China from the other thread, and that article going around about that stupid woman knitting with a ball of yawn shoved up her hoohah I'm done with genitalia.
    WUT
    http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/4386419
    I'm scared to click, but I guess it can't be that bad if it's a Huffington Post article.  

• We're very definitely not TTC. I am so not ready to be a mom, and DH is definitely not ready to be a dad. But I am like, a week late. I'm not super worried because my period has been really irregular recently, but still, the thought is there, burrowing into my brainplace and going "you might be, you could be, you definitely are".

Anyway. I want to know as early as possible. We have names picked out for JIC, and they're very normal names too, so no worries about people "stealing" them. We wouldn't be able to do anything special with our "nursery" because we're renters, but I think that, seeing as DH and I are both lit-lovers, we might do something bookish.

I really love this idea, but I'm not sure it's really kid-safe, and it DEFINITELY wouldn't fit in our tiny spare room.
    imageDaisypath Friendship tickers
  • My parents didn't find out with me and my older sister, but my younger sister they did beacuse they really wanted a boy. Then SURPRISE: My brother came along.

Sidenote: Was it on here that someone didn't want to know the gender of their baby, but their mother was insistent and bribed the ultrasound technician and ended up telling everyone the gender?
    FYI - sex, not gender. ;-) We're PC here on CC.
    Isn't this a little extreme and silly?  Neonates can't speak let alone decide that they wish to identify as a gender that differs from their genitalia. . . so it seems fine and not at all insensitive to use the terms sex and gender  interchangeably when referring to babies.
    I agree with you. I understand the need to be sensitive and accepting towards people- but it is to the point now where we are infringing upon free speech and free expression out of fear of offense. No one has the right not to be offended. It doesn't exist in this world. This type of draconian word rules reminds me of 1984 or the Giver where "precision of language" is used as a method to control people. If they don't have a word to express how they feel, they are less likely to feel. I hope that if I have a child who doesn't identify with their sex that they will be strong enough not to let little things like people using sex and gender interchangeability upset them. 
  • We're very definitely not TTC. I am so not ready to be a mom, and DH is definitely not ready to be a dad. But I am like, a week late. I'm not super worried because my period has been really irregular recently, but still, the thought is there, burrowing into my brainplace and going "you might be, you could be, you definitely are".

Because you brought it up first, and because I can't talk about this with anyone but H yet in case it's not true and then we look like dumbasses, but... same boat. We were mostly TTA until the end of 2015, but I have a lot of early pregnancy symptoms and I'm relatively late. Taking a test Friday, i.e. the date which would match the longest cycle I've ever recorded. So, holy shit.

Because you brought it up first, and because I can't talk about this with anyone but H yet in case it's not true and then we look like dumbasses, but... same boat. We were mostly TTA until the end of 2015, but I have a lot of early pregnancy symptoms and I'm relatively late. Taking a test Friday, i.e. the date which would match the longest cycle I've ever recorded. So, holy shit.
    Not to feed into the "madness" but if you are far enough along you are far enough to turn a test positive.  But then again, PMS symptoms mimic early pregnancy so who knows.

And Dollar Store tests work, so no need to go out and get an expensive test right away.  :)
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • AprilH81 said:
    We're very definitely not TTC. I am so not ready to be a mom, and DH is definitely not ready to be a dad. But I am like, a week late. I'm not super worried because my period has been really irregular recently, but still, the thought is there, burrowing into my brainplace and going "you might be, you could be, you definitely are".

Not to feed into the "madness" but if you are far enough along you are far enough to turn a test positive.  But then again, PMS symptoms mimic early pregnancy so who knows.

And Dollar Store tests work, so no need to go out and get an expensive test right away.  :)
    First bolded sentence isn't necessarily true, because of the second one. 

Dollar Store tests are accurate, but not always in very early stages. You could still get a false negative within the 2 week window after ovulation and before a missed period. But stress often causes ovulation to be delayed, so you might not actually be "late."

Flan and Witche I hope you get the results you're hoping for on or before Friday, whichever that is. <3

• AprilH81 said:
    We're very definitely not TTC. I am so not ready to be a mom, and DH is definitely not ready to be a dad. But I am like, a week late. I'm not super worried because my period has been really irregular recently, but still, the thought is there, burrowing into my brainplace and going "you might be, you could be, you definitely are".

First bolded sentence isn't necessarily true, because of the second one. 

Dollar Store tests are accurate, but not always in very early stages. You could still get a false negative within the 2 week window after ovulation and before a missed period. But stress often causes ovulation to be delayed, so you might not actually be "late."

Flan and Witche I hope you get the results you're hoping for on or before Friday, whichever that is. <3
    If they were true pregnancy symptoms and not just PMS the test would turn positive.  It is just our bodies like to play tricks on us and sore boobs (along with other symptoms) can mean both PMS and pregnancy.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • AprilH81 said:
    If they were true pregnancy symptoms and not just PMS the test would turn positive.  It is just our bodies like to play tricks on us and sore boobs (along with other symptoms) can mean both PMS and pregnancy.
    I've heard of plenty of people who had a false negative after having symptoms. I think we can psych ourselves into feeling things early sometimes, or have them caused by different reasons... like I had really sore boobs after going off the pill because of my body adjusting to the change in hormones. I wasn't pregnant, but it also wasn't PMS. I could have taken a test due to sore boobs and gotten a negative before having adequate hormones to cause a positive. You could throw up from some bad chicken, think it's morning sickness, take a test and get a negative but still be very early pregnant. It also depends what the "early symptoms" are that she's talking about. Spotting could indicate your period about to start, or it could be implantation bleeding - in both cases you'd get a negative pregnancy test. There are lots of causes of cramping that can happen at all sorts of times.

• AprilH81 said:
    I've heard of plenty of people who had a false negative after having symptoms. I think we can psych ourselves into feeling things early sometimes, or have them caused by different reasons... like I had really sore boobs after going off the pill because of my body adjusting to the change in hormones. I wasn't pregnant, but it also wasn't PMS. I could have taken a test due to sore boobs and gotten a negative before having adequate hormones to cause a positive. You could throw up from some bad chicken, think it's morning sickness, take a test and get a negative but still be very early pregnant. It also depends what the "early symptoms" are that she's talking about. Spotting could indicate your period about to start, or it could be implantation bleeding - in both cases you'd get a negative pregnancy test. There are lots of causes of cramping that can happen at all sorts of times.
    Yeah, that's why even though I was tempted to get a test Monday after my period was not there when expected and there was a bit of spotting (plus other weird stuff), I decided to wait until Friday to give my period a chance and to limit the chances of a false negative from being too early with the hormones.
  • I've heard the dollar tree tests actually work better than the more expensive ones, but I think it's worth $7 to not pee on my hands. 
  • FiancB said:
    I've heard the dollar tree tests actually work better than the more expensive ones, but I think it's worth $7 to not pee on my hands. 
    I pee in a cup then dip the stick in.  But I also stocked up on the generic ones from Target since I had a good coupon.
  • I get so ragey when people use "free speech" inappropriately. The constitution does not guarantee that (general) you can say whatever you want always, and use words however you think they ought to be used because 'mericuh. It guarantees freedom from criminal persecution because of the things you say. It doesn't guarantee you freedom from people thinking you're an assclown for the things you say. Mildly correcting someone that it's more proper to use sex rather than gender is not infringing upon a damn thing.
    That's fine- think I'm an assclown, I'm not offended by that. I agree with you completely. People using 'freedom of speech' as a protection against the opinions of others is hypocritical and silly. Again, it goes to my point that you have no right to not be offended. People can say what ever they want. They can believe what ever they want. And you can feel however you want about what they say. 

The point I'm trying to make is that as a society we are getting way too sensitive. In London every single store said "Merry Christmas" in the window and it was refreshing. People weren't afraid to offend and in America, people used to not be afraid to offend either. I wish we'd get back to that point of self expression without needing to walk on eggshells for fear that someone may not like our word choice. This, I worry, closes us off more than it opens us up. If we become afraid to express ourselves in front of people who are different than us, then we are more likely to surround ourselves by the same. This runs the risk of making people ignorant.

But let's get back to the original point here. We are talking about the sex organs of a fetus. An organism that currently does not have thoughts or an opinion on how they define their sexuality. And as I understand the definition of gender, it refers to culture and society's understanding of sex- not an individuals. So if I dress my little girl up in ribbons and bows, society understands her gender as female. But if my daughter identifies as male and takes steps to look or become a male, then society understands his gender as male. I am not incorrect for dressing my little girl up as a girl, and society is not incorrect for identifying his/her gender. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards