Snarky Brides
Options

Facebook overshare snark

Re: Facebook overshare snark

• Options

-----(boxes need to get with the fucking program on mobile.)---- The latest updates: - She has posted a status/quote about how girls get so caught up in the wedding and its not important. The only important thing is being with someone you could marry that day. (Its apparently a Lauren Conrad quote?) - She has purchased a "sweating for the wedding!" Tank for her work outs. Two. Tanks. "I can't workout without it! What if it gets dirty?" - She's announced her bridal party. - Lastly, she posted a status about asking her brother to walk her down the aisle. He said yes!! Fucking Hell.
    Oh my. 
  • Options
    I have more snark. I am so full of Facebook wedding snark. I'm a member of a Facebook wedding swap site. These are the things posted and reactions given: 1. "My fiance and I have to get married because he's in the military and might be deployed. Should we try to push up our wedding or get married at the courthouse and then have our real wedding another time?" Reactions: "it's your day! You can do whatever you want." "In these circumstances, its just fine to get married at the courthouse and then have your real wedding later." "Anybody who doesn't support you having the wedding of your dreams doesn't care about you or your feelings. 2. "What do MOB and MOG wear?! I'm so confused!" Reactions: "The MOB chooses her dress first. Then the MOG picks her dress. The MOB is more important and should have the better dress." "They can wear whatever color. Except white or black. It would be terribly disrespectful to wear either color to a wedding." 3. "I'm creating a honeyfund. Is there a cute way to put this so people know?" "I used a cute poem!" "I had "first home fund" written on a chalkboard and then put it on a card box so people knew. Maybe you could do the same for your fund?" 4. "Does everybody have problems before the wedding?" "Everybody has problems. We fought like cats and dogs before our wedding. Still do. We fought on our wedding day. But we're committed to making it work." "I think by posting this, you're showing that you want the input of others to make your situation better." "Everybody fights. Sometimes you'll hate each other. But after you get married, it gets easier." I.hate.people.
    You must have the patience of a saint to not engage!

• Options
    Facebook pages for unborn fetuses and babies always creep me out. 

There was one couple who actually wrote that their unborn son worked at the father's balls before being "employed" in his mother's womb. *shudder*

I used to have an FB friend who posted a picture of her first daughter after the baby JUST emerged from between her legs. In this delightful photo, my friend's legs were open with the doctors at the foot of her bed and her daughter covered in blood. Nice! 
  • Options
    And the gem from this morning:

"We are not going to have a wedding party stand up with us but would like a creative way to ask our close family and friends to be part of our honorary party along with asking them to dress in a certian color scheme. Anyone have any cool ideas?"

Geniuses come up with: 
    • "I put on my invites: "Simi (YES. SIMI) formal: wear red or black." That was a great way to include everybody!"
    • "I did that too. I just told them all to wear X and I reserved them a table at the reception and a row at the church."
    • "Call them the 'something blues' and have them all wear blue!"
    I nearly cried. And yes, someone recommended a poem.

• Options

"We are not going to have a wedding party stand up with us but would like a creative way to ask our close family and friends to be part of our honorary party along with asking them to dress in a certian color scheme. Anyone have any cool ideas?"

Geniuses come up with: 
    • "I put on my invites: "Simi (YES. SIMI) formal: wear red or black." That was a great way to include everybody!"
    • "I did that too. I just told them all to wear X and I reserved them a table at the reception and a row at the church."
    Part of me wishes I was facebook friends with people this dumb. Just for the entertainment value. The other part wishes I didn't know these people existed. 
  • Options

Geniuses come up with: 

Part of me wishes I was facebook friends with people this dumb. Just for the entertainment value. The other part wishes I didn't know these people existed. 

---boxes---

This is from a Facebook wedding for sale/swap site. I'm a member of it but I should really delete myself. I just dislike most of the people on there with their awful advice. A girl was saying $400-$1000 for EIGHT HOURS of limo service was too much. What?

• Options
    Facebook pages for unborn fetuses and babies always creep me out. 

There was one couple who actually wrote that their unborn son worked at the father's balls before being "employed" in his mother's womb. *shudder*

I used to have an FB friend who posted a picture of her first daughter after the baby JUST emerged from between her legs. In this delightful photo, my friend's legs were open with the doctors at the foot of her bed and her daughter covered in blood. Nice! 
    I saw one of those once too! Eek! I lost my cool once after a fresh c-section photo (surgeon included!) and posted a generic "what's with people over sharing hospital photos-- why not clean and cover everyone before sharing" message on FB. While many friends replied in support, a girl from college with twin babies ranted at me, accusing me of "not sharing their joy." Then she defriended me. Um... #byefelicia
    You were fine with sharing their joy but not their childbirth surgeries. 
    Your former friend was too dense to know the obvious difference. 
  • Options
    I have more snark. I am so full of Facebook wedding snark. I'm a member of a Facebook wedding swap site. These are the things posted and reactions given: 1. "My fiance and I have to get married because he's in the military and might be deployed. Should we try to push up our wedding or get married at the courthouse and then have our real wedding another time?" Reactions: "it's your day! You can do whatever you want." "In these circumstances, its just fine to get married at the courthouse and then have your real wedding later." "Anybody who doesn't support you having the wedding of your dreams doesn't care about you or your feelings. 2. "What do MOB and MOG wear?! I'm so confused!" Reactions: "The MOB chooses her dress first. Then the MOG picks her dress. The MOB is more important and should have the better dress." "They can wear whatever color. Except white or black. It would be terribly disrespectful to wear either color to a wedding." 3. "I'm creating a honeyfund. Is there a cute way to put this so people know?" "I used a cute poem!" "I had "first home fund" written on a chalkboard and then put it on a card box so people knew. Maybe you could do the same for your fund?" 4. "Does everybody have problems before the wedding?" "Everybody has problems. We fought like cats and dogs before our wedding. Still do. We fought on our wedding day. But we're committed to making it work." "I think by posting this, you're showing that you want the input of others to make your situation better." "Everybody fights. Sometimes you'll hate each other. But after you get married, it gets easier." I.hate.people.
    I would argue that anyone who doesn't support their loved ones having a PPD actually cares about them a great deal. I cancelled my PPD in favor of buy a home and celebrating privately with my husband. Our elopement was our wedding. 

Don't even get me started on idiots who think it is okay to beg money. It is NEVER polite to ask for money, no matter how cutesy the ridiculous request is. Those who cannot afford homes or honeymoons should SUCK IT UP AND DO WHAT THEY CAN AFFORD. Sorry for the online shouting...entitlement gets me very riled up. 
  • Options
    NoneForUs said:
    I would argue that anyone who doesn't support their loved ones having a PPD actually cares about them a great deal. I cancelled my PPD in favor of buy a home and celebrating privately with my husband. Our elopement was our wedding. 

Don't even get me started on idiots who think it is okay to beg money. It is NEVER polite to ask for money, no matter how cutesy the ridiculous request is. Those who cannot afford homes or honeymoons should SUCK IT UP AND DO WHAT THEY CAN AFFORD. Sorry for the online shouting...entitlement gets me very riled up. 
    You are my favorite new poster. :)
  • Options
    SO many things I could put on here but my fave is a girl I went to high school with who is like a car crash, I just can't look away it's so amazing! Regular posts about "can someone bring me a cigarette, I have no money for gas" well that's because you don't have a JOB.. another usual is "why doesn't anyone want to hang out with me" well sweetie, it's 2pm on a Tuesday, most people are at work? Or my favorite post was that she was participating in "no shave November" on her downstairs, I was actually scared there would be before and after pics!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My feed is currently flooded with repeated posts from a guy who lives in the town I grew up in saying something like "Wedding countdown! Please do not forget to RSVP! Date, time, place of wedding" :O WTF is wrong with people?? He has > 400 Facebook friends!! I can't even!! And I don't believe for a second he has special privacy settings that only allow certain people to see this...I see it all and I'm definitely not close with him and have never hung out with him (only know him through mutual acquaintances). The sad part is that a lot of people are commenting with "I didn't get my invitation in the mail! this is my mailing address: ... "

- The stars, like dust, encircle me in living mists of light. And all of space I seem to see in one vast burst of sight. 
  • Options

Geniuses come up with: 
    There was no "creative way" and also no "calling them something", but I did this. I didn't want my friends in matching dresses walking down the aisle and standing awkwardly at the front, but I did want some great wedding pictures with them, to get ready with them, and to have them be there to support me. Essentially, I wanted them to do everything a bridesmaid does except for buy a matching dress and walk down the aisle. When I posted about this on The Knot, people threw fits about how rude and terrible I was.

So, I decided to just call them bridesmaids, and then say that I didn't pick any dresses, I just gave them a (very wide!) color palette to choose from. And also, they're not officially processing down the aisle, and there are no introductions of anyone and no programs. Somehow people are OK with this, even though it's exactly the same thing. I just don't get people. 
  • Options
    MandyMost said:

Geniuses come up with: 
    There was no "creative way" and also no "calling them something", but I did this. I didn't want my friends in matching dresses walking down the aisle and standing awkwardly at the front, but I did want some great wedding pictures with them, to get ready with them, and to have them be there to support me. Essentially, I wanted them to do everything a bridesmaid does except for buy a matching dress and walk down the aisle. When I posted about this on The Knot, people threw fits about how rude and terrible I was.

So, I decided to just call them bridesmaids, and then say that I didn't pick any dresses, I just gave them a (very wide!) color palette to choose from. And also, they're not officially processing down the aisle, and there are no introductions of anyone and no programs. Somehow people are OK with this, even though it's exactly the same thing. I just don't get people. 
    Did you also have a "more important" tier of bridesmaids? If so, then this was still very bad. If not, then less bad, but you just made your friends buy a dress in a particular color without giving them the honor of standing with you. There's nothing to say you couldn't have invited them to hang out with you before the wedding or take pictures with you at the reception. They didn't have to be dressed in blue or whatever.
  • Options
    NoneForUs said:
    image Who does that!?!?!  I thought the people on my fb were bad with the just born, not yet cleaned, baby pictures, but that... I just.. there are no words...

A girl on my fb posted a picture of her baby with a pacifier in her mouth and a headband over it with the caption "guys I'm so smart I should get a patent on this."  Anyone who pointed out that this was dangerous she blocked.  I should have taken a screenshot and sent it to social services. 
  • Options
    NoneForUs said:
    image Who does that!?!?!  I thought the people on my fb were bad with the just born, not yet cleaned, baby pictures, but that... I just.. there are no words...

A girl on my fb posted a picture of her baby with a pacifier in her mouth and a headband over it with the caption "guys I'm so smart I should get a patent on this."  Anyone who pointed out that this was dangerous she blocked.  I should have taken a screenshot and sent it to social services. 
    Or she could just buy one of those clippy things to attach the pacifier to the kid's clothes to keep it from falling to the floor.  Much safer!
  • Options
    MandyMost said:

Geniuses come up with: 

Did you also have a "more important" tier of bridesmaids? If so, then this was still very bad. If not, then less bad, but you just made your friends buy a dress in a particular color without giving them the honor of standing with you. There's nothing to say you couldn't have invited them to hang out with you before the wedding or take pictures with you at the reception. They didn't have to be dressed in blue or whatever.
    No, there was no "more important" tier of anyone. They were it. And they did have reserved seating in the front rows. And it wasn't even a single dress color--they could have chosen red, blue, green, purple, etc...jewel tones. And they didn't take pictures "at the reception", they took pictures with me before hand, as is typically done with bridesmaids. 

But yes, I suppose the fact that they didn't officially march down the aisle and stand there means I'm a terrible bitch of a friend who has no respect for anyone.

How about if I just say that I didn't do any flowers other than the bridal bouquet and the parents corsages and boutonnieres, didn't require matching bridesmaids dresses, and then the bridal party sat in the front rows instead of standing. I bet this sounds perfectly find to everyone. People are weird. 
  • Options
    mj8215 said:
    My feed is currently flooded with repeated posts from a guy who lives in the town I grew up in saying something like "Wedding countdown! Please do not forget to RSVP! Date, time, place of wedding" :O WTF is wrong with people?? He has > 400 Facebook friends!! I can't even!! And I don't believe for a second he has special privacy settings that only allow certain people to see this...I see it all and I'm definitely not close with him and have never hung out with him (only know him through mutual acquaintances). The sad part is that a lot of people are commenting with "I didn't get my invitation in the mail! this is my mailing address: ... "

I hate this!!! I had a FB friend who did the same thing and said something like: "okay people the RSVP deadline is 3 days away... send them in, I'm waiting on you!!"

I wanted soo bad for someone to comment with an "i didn't get an invitation" remark
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    Ugh the girl that I just dropped out as a bridesmaid for is guilty of this. Literally every status the past month has been wedding related. "Cake tasting today!" "The dress shopping trip was a complete success!" "Went to my first bridal show today!" "Ordered [insert wedding item here] today!". 

I have vowed to do literally the opposite of her with everything related to wedding planning, including keeping everything off of Facebook apart from changing our relationship status to engaged. 

• Options
    mikenbergermikenberger member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2015
    I had to leave the Facebook wedding swap I was a part of due to overload of "OMG!!! HONEYFUND!!" 

People actually think this is an amazing idea and "Every single newlywed deserves a vacation away." 

No. No they don't, you entitled brat.

• Options
    I still follow this girl, because she is actually a friend. But MAN this girl got engaged right after we graduated college and is getting married in the fall so it's going to be almost 3 years of them posting by the time this is over...plus the post-wedding.

EVERYTHING about her is this wedding. And she posts everything they do with them as a couple with their personal wedding hashtag. EVERYTHING "made coffee for this morning and drinking it with **fiance** #weddinghashtaghere"

They're also the type of relationship people who post how much they love each other on each others facebook.

But still nothing will be as bad as the time I was invited to a wedding on Facebook (we were all 19. this wedding shouldn't have been a thing" and then was disinvited because by boyfriend is Jewish and they were getting married "for religious reasons." And I found out with a status on facebook.

Social Media makes everyone the worst with this. 

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    I had to leave the Facebook wedding swap I was a part of due to overload of "OMG!!! HONEYFUND!!" 

People actually think this is an amazing idea and "Every single newlywed deserves a vacation away." 

No. No they don't, you entitled brat.
    People were giving my husband and I the side eye because we eloped to a resort four hours north of here. We had a weddingmoon and I kept hearing "Why don't you go AWAY to the Caribbean or Europe?" Erm....we couldn't afford it and we have too much class to ask others to fund our honeymoon? 
  • Options
    I still follow this girl, because she is actually a friend. But MAN this girl got engaged right after we graduated college and is getting married in the fall so it's going to be almost 3 years of them posting by the time this is over...plus the post-wedding.

EVERYTHING about her is this wedding. And she posts everything they do with them as a couple with their personal wedding hashtag. EVERYTHING "made coffee for this morning and drinking it with **fiance** #weddinghashtaghere"

They're also the type of relationship people who post how much they love each other on each others facebook.

But still nothing will be as bad as the time I was invited to a wedding on Facebook (we were all 19. this wedding shouldn't have been a thing" and then was disinvited because by boyfriend is Jewish and they were getting married "for religious reasons." And I found out with a status on facebook.

My hubby and I post mushy stuff on our birthdays or our anniversaries. He posted a message complimenting my cooking because I made a Christmas spread last year. However, we do constantly post "OMG I love you soooo much babyloveysweetie!" messages because that is sickening. 

Using Facebook for a wedding guest list? I have no words. 
  • Options
    NoneForUs said:

My hubby and I post mushy stuff on our birthdays or our anniversaries. He posted a message complimenting my cooking because I made a Christmas spread last year. However, we do constantly post "OMG I love you soooo much babyloveysweetie!" messages because that is sickening. 

To be honest, I don't get this. Why don't you just text/email/message each other this information instead of posting it on Facebook? Can you help me understand why people do this? Because the only reason I can come up with is that people want to brag about their SO and their happiness publicly. That's a fine reason if that's what it is, but I just don't get it--I feel like the more people do stuff like this, the worse their relationship/life usually is. Not saying that's true, but that's how I tend to interpret it. Note: i think it's fine to say something like "It's our 1-year anniversary! Can't believe it already!" vs. something like posting a status (not a private message) saying "It's our one year anniversary and I am so lucky to be married to the best guy ever. Honey, I love you so much forever and I can't wait to spend the rest of my life with you!". The first is just and update on your life, the second just sounds like a total brag....and the more someone brags, the more I think they're hiding or covering up for something. 
  • Options
    Another FB overshare I haven't seen discussed is Timehop...

Listen I have one... and I have posted it to FB maybe twice (and one of the times was because 2 years ago it showed a picture of taco fixings, and 4 years ago it had a status that simply said "TACOS" and the best part was I had already planned tacos for dinner that night... that's funny and FB worthy!), and send a few text messages to specific people. But mostly it is just fun to see for myself.

But the people who post multiple times a day now have EVEN MORE things to post. My cousin posts 2-5 timehop status A DAY plus her regular  multiple daily statuses!!! What will happen next year once you have had time hop a year? A time hop of a time hop!?!

Anniversary
  • Options
    MandyMost said:
    NoneForUs said:

To be honest, I don't get this. Why don't you just text/email/message each other this information instead of posting it on Facebook? Can you help me understand why people do this? Because the only reason I can come up with is that people want to brag about their SO and their happiness publicly. That's a fine reason if that's what it is, but I just don't get it--I feel like the more people do stuff like this, the worse their relationship/life usually is. Not saying that's true, but that's how I tend to interpret it. Note: i think it's fine to say something like "It's our 1-year anniversary! Can't believe it already!" vs. something like posting a status (not a private message) saying "It's our one year anniversary and I am so lucky to be married to the best guy ever. Honey, I love you so much forever and I can't wait to spend the rest of my life with you!". The first is just and update on your life, the second just sounds like a total brag....and the more someone brags, the more I think they're hiding or covering up for something. 
    Right, if it was just anniversary, birthdays, and a cooking brag here or there fine (I feel you on that one, I got it for some oreo pancakes.) But you have phones and you live together (this couple any way) don't post it on fb, just say it to each other's faces.

You're on the nose with the braggy thing. Either they're crazy extroverted and live for that attention, or they're trying to put out the happy facade. And I don't have time to entertain either of those things.

The facebook wedding guest list was just on my list of reasons maybe there should have been some waiting and growing up before that wedding took place. It is a thing that's still talked about among our group of friends. 

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    jellybeannjellybeann member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited January 2015
    Another FB overshare I haven't seen discussed is Timehop...

Listen I have one... and I have posted it to FB maybe twice (and one of the times was because 2 years ago it showed a picture of taco fixings, and 4 years ago it had a status that simply said "TACOS" and the best part was I had already planned tacos for dinner that night... that's funny and FB worthy!), and send a few text messages to specific people. But mostly it is just fun to see for myself.

But the people who post multiple times a day now have EVEN MORE things to post. My cousin posts 2-5 timehop status A DAY plus her regular  multiple daily statuses!!! What will happen next year once you have had time hop a year? A time hop of a time hop!?!
    OH MY GOD TIMEHOP IS THE WORST.

There is a girl who posts things from timehop literally every day and comments on them. This girl also likes/comments on her posts pictures from years ago. She popped up in my newsfeed as "So and So has liked her picture from July 2012." Like why? Why would you do that?

Also I don't like people who use dumb fake names on facebook. I'm ok with your first and middle name as your display name - fine, you don't want to put your last name on there. But it annoys me when your name is Melanie and your facebook name is like "Mis Directionn" (names have been changed)

ETA: Bolded - TIMEHOPCEPTION. I can't wait.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards