Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Is it rude to say no pictures??

Re: Is it rude to say no pictures??

• Options

It is NOT rude! You are asking your guests to be present in the moment and not experience your wedding ceremony through their camera/phone screens. Your photographer's photos are going to be 1000x better than any photos your guest capture on their iPhone anyway. Trust me. My fiancé and I are planning on having an unplugged ceremony and no one has given us any flack about it. I think everyone on this thread who is saying it is rude/tacky should probably read this:

http://offbeatbride.com/2011/06/unplugged-wedding

It's too early in the day for a triple shot.  Someone bite the bullet for me?

• Options
    To everyone who thinks that asking, or telling people to be unplugged, in the moment, etc so that they won't jump up and get in the way-there's this nifty invention called TULLE-line both sides of the aisle with it, voila, no one is able to jump into the aisle!  As for getting in other people's way in the seats, usually an acerbic "Do you mind?!?" will be helpful in getting the miscreant to sit down.  No need whatsoever to be rude on your part!
  • Options

I thought the same thing and found some cute homemade signs on Pinterest, asking people to keep their cameras and phones away, but then my best friend got married in August and the worst possible thing happened to her (photo-wise)...the company lost ALL of her photos, not a single one was salvaged.  The photog was a dumbass and dropped his computer which caused a crash, and he had already written over the sim cards.  If it wasn't for guests, family, and friends at her wedding she would literally have NO photo memories whatsoever.  I wouldn't wish her experience on anyone, but you never know what kind of freak accidents can happen so it's always a good idea to have your guest's photos as backups.
    My parents wedding photos were ruined because the film got exposed to light. My dad actually had them professional restored for the 20th anniversary but for 20 years all they had were pictures from family/friends.

• Options

I thought the same thing and found some cute homemade signs on Pinterest, asking people to keep their cameras and phones away, but then my best friend got married in August and the worst possible thing happened to her (photo-wise)...the company lost ALL of her photos, not a single one was salvaged.  The photog was a dumbass and dropped his computer which caused a crash, and he had already written over the sim cards.  If it wasn't for guests, family, and friends at her wedding she would literally have NO photo memories whatsoever.  I wouldn't wish her experience on anyone, but you never know what kind of freak accidents can happen so it's always a good idea to have your guest's photos as backups.
    My parents wedding photos were ruined because the film got exposed to light. My dad actually had them professional restored for the 20th anniversary but for 20 years all they had were pictures from family/friends.
    Huh?  What does that even mean?  ;-)

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    levioosalevioosa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2015

I'm guessing that they were older film pictures that needed a dark room to develop. Exposing them to light during the process would have over exposed them and ruined them.  We don't really think about that now with digital cameras. 

ETA: Just realized you're being facetious.  I need more coffee. 

• Options
    levioosa said:

I'm guessing that they were older film pictures that needed a dark room to develop. Exposing them to light during the process would have over exposed them and ruined them.  We don't really think about that now with digital cameras. 
    You guys are talking in code or something ;-)

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    levioosa said:

I'm actually surprised we don't get more SSs here asking why they can't just mass invite on facebook instead of formally mailing invites. 

• Options
    levioosa said:

Film?  What is this mystery film substance you speak of?  :)

• Options
    No it is not rude. It's your wedding you can ask people to leave their electronics alone! My fiancé is a photographer and has had other photographers tell him horror stories. For example a women who jumped up with her iPad and blocked the camera man from getting the first kiss. Personally I would go nuts on whoever blocked the photographer from doing that. Your paying them to be there trust me the photographers will greatly appreciate not having to deal with your family and friends and are just able to take photos like there supposed to. I will be asking our guests to put all their electronics away until the reception when everyone is just dancing and having fun. Also no one will be around for the group shots that isn't involved in them.
  • Options
    kpcc33 said:

No it is not rude. It's your wedding you can ask people to leave their electronics alone! My fiancé is a photographer and has had other photographers tell him horror stories. For example a women who jumped up with her iPad and blocked the camera man from getting the first kiss. Personally I would go nuts on whoever blocked the photographer from doing that. Your paying them to be there trust me the photographers will greatly appreciate not having to deal with your family and friends and are just able to take photos like there supposed to. I will be asking our guests to put all their electronics away until the reception when everyone is just dancing and having fun. Also no one will be around for the group shots that isn't involved in them.

Where the fuck do these people keep coming from?! This is TERRIBLE advice.
  • Options
    lovesclimbinglovesclimbing member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited February 2015
    My wedding was the second one my photographer had ever shot. The second. Guess what? Even with a pretty inexperienced photographer, she still got every special moment. And guess what, I saw the pics from the FIRSt wedding she ever shot, and somehow, with no signs or telling people to turn off their phones, she still managed to get all the shots she needed.

And although @PrettyGirlLost‌ already posted the article I like to post on these threads, I'll post it again for good measure. Here's why you shouldn't have an unplugged ceremony.

http://blog.craigmitchelldyer.com/2013/05/30/unplugged-wedding-no-way-plug-in/

Oh no. I realized I was totally NOT IN THE MOMENT during my ceremony. In fact, I was rather tipsy and couldn't maintain eye-contact with DH at first because my brain kept wondering why the ground was moving.

DOES THIS MAKE MY MARRIAGE INVALID?!?!
    Actually, it might. I think some states, maybe all, have rules about having to be sober when entering into marriage.
    jelly1313 said:

OP here. I feel like this thread got really out of hand over the weekend haha last time I was here there was only one page and I thought we all agreed on the same solution, which was relax and stop worrying about silly things. In case any of the new people care I have decided that I will not tell people to not take pictures instead (if I have time) I will block the entrance to the aisle so I don't have to worry about people standing there to get "perfect" pictures. I hate to say this now but I was really only worried about one person getting in the way because she was the one who got in the way at the last wedding I was at. That being said if I block the aisle I won't have to worry about anything and nobody will call me rude haha 

@jelly1313‌ , with that one person, in addition to aisle ribbons or tulle or whatever, I suggest having your ushers seat her on the outside of a row or better yet, the middle. ;)

ETA: WOW! With doing a complicated series of quote boxes on mobile, I was sure they would get screwed up, but nope, perfect! I should buy a lottery ticket!
  • Options
    kpcc33 said:
    Your wedding sounds like a ton of fun.
  • Options
    My wedding was the second one my photographer had ever shot. The second. Guess what? Even with a pretty inexperienced photographer, she still got every special moment. And guess what, I saw the pics from the FIRSt wedding she ever shot, and somehow, with no signs or telling people to turn off their phones, she still managed to get all the shots she needed. And although @PrettyGirlLost‌ already posted the article I like to post on these threads, I'll post it again for good measure. Here's why you shouldn't have an unplugged ceremony. http://blog.craigmitchelldyer.com/2013/05/30/unplugged-wedding-no-way-plug-in/
    Oh no. I realized I was totally NOT IN THE MOMENT during my ceremony. In fact, I was rather tipsy and couldn't maintain eye-contact with DH at first because my brain kept wondering why the ground was moving.

DOES THIS MAKE MY MARRIAGE INVALID?!?!
    Actually, it might. I think some states, maybe all, have rules about having to be sober when entering into marriage.
    OP here. I feel like this thread got really out of hand over the weekend haha last time I was here there was only one page and I thought we all agreed on the same solution, which was relax and stop worrying about silly things. In case any of the new people care I have decided that I will not tell people to not take pictures instead (if I have time) I will block the entrance to the aisle so I don't have to worry about people standing there to get "perfect" pictures. I hate to say this now but I was really only worried about one person getting in the way because she was the one who got in the way at the last wedding I was at. That being said if I block the aisle I won't have to worry about anything and nobody will call me rude haha 
    @jelly1313‌ , with that one person, in addition to aisle ribbons or tulle or whatever, I suggest having your ushers seat her on the outside of a row or better yet, the middle. ;) ETA: WOW! With doing a complicated series of quote boxes on mobile, I was sure they would get screwed up, but nope, perfect! I should buy a lottery ticket!

To the bolded - my wedding was only the second or third wedding my photographer had ever shot as well. And you know what - none of my photos got ruined! He even managed to get a ton of the ceremony and you can't see a single phone or ipad anywhere! Turns out - when your photographer actually knows how to do his/her job, you don't need to be a crazy bridezilla that attempts control everyone around her.
  • Options
    kpcc33 said:
    princessofgenovia  for her Samuel Jackson gif :)
  • Options

Another bride whose photographer had only done one previous wedding!  No one blocked any of her pictures because she, y'know, moved.  She planted herself front and centre in time for the kiss, and got a great angle.  To the PP who said (maybe @kpcc33?) a woman with an iPad jumped up in front of the photographer during the kiss... well, HE didn't get a shot of the kiss, but SHE sure did.  What's the problem?

And how many times have we had brides come on here saying that they were thinking of having an unplugged wedding, but now that they've had to wait for their professional pictures and got to see the ones their family and friends took, they're so happy to have them?  Honestly.  What's better?  No pictures, or lots of pictures?

**The OMH formerly known as jsangel1018**
  • Options
    I think it's kind of ridiculous to say that it's silly to worry about your photographer not being able to get the shot because of guests in the way, and if your photographer is good they'll do their job anyway, but then turn around and warn that you shouldn't do unplugged because you may never get your photographs back, because your photographer didn't do their job.... That makes absolutely zero sense and I don't even care about this topic.
  • Options
    I think it's kind of ridiculous to say that it's silly to worry about your photographer not being able to get the shot because of guests in the way, and if your photographer is good they'll do their job anyway, but then turn around and warn that you shouldn't do unplugged because you may never get your photographs back, because your photographer didn't do their job.... That makes absolutely zero sense and I don't even care about this topic.
    Ok?
  • Options
    antoto said:
    So I'm a high school teacher and spend 86.5% of my day telling kids to put their phones away.  When it came to my wedding that was not even a thought that went through my head.  Because I am not their teacher and they are not students/children.  WHYYYYY are you wasting your time on this?  Do you want your wedding to have an atmosphere of happiness where your guests feel welcomed and wanted, or do you want them to feel like bad children who need to be controlled?  Plenty of people took pictures at my ceremony.  Not a single pro picture was ruined and I got BONUS awesome pictures from different viewpoints.  They posted it on FB the next day and it made me feel wonderful.

And btw sometimes photogs take a while to get pics back to you.  Not because they are bad, but because it takes a long time to edit 800 pictures.
    This, a million times. This is the biggest non-issue I can think of. I've been to plenty of weddings, and not once was anyone concerned with guests taking pictures (and no one was hovering in the aisle, I haven't noticed any flashes, and if people were taking photos, they were quick and discreet about it). 

Unless none of your guests have ever attended an event of any sort before, and have never learned common courtesy, they probably know how to behave respectfully and take photos without disturbing everyone else. I find cutesy signs about not using your phone condescending, at best.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards