Chit Chat

"Let's go to Vegas this weekend and get hitched"

Re: "Let's go to Vegas this weekend and get hitched"

• Also: 

As someone who lives in a place where you can only get liquor, beer, and wine at a liquor store (and these stores close very early), I'm always fascinated when I go to other states and you guys have beer and stuff at the local Target or 7-11..... But a drive thru liquor store??? Shit blows my mind!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• FiancBFiancB member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2015

FiancB said:

I don't just live next to minorities, they don't speak English! They're Hmong, which I never even heard of before moving here, so that's, like, not even a legitimate minority. It's unamerican, which is inherently dishonest. 

You're by the Hmong area? I'm over by little Somalia. You're refugee terrorists are adorably vintage.
    Pfft it's all about Karen Burmese now. So hard to keep up with all the sketchy minority poors to keep track of. Better start a neighborhood watch to keep an eye out for hoodies. 

OH SHIT I'M WEARING ONE. It must be infectious. 
  • @ashley8918 I was trying to find that one!

I found one that I was pretty sure would get me in trouble TOS wise (assuming it's against TOS to post a gif that implies one girl fingering another girl).
  • MagicInk said:

@ashley8918 I was trying to find that one!

I found one that I was pretty sure would get me in trouble TOS wise (assuming it's against TOS to post a gif that implies one girl fingering another girl).
    I fucking love "lesbianing". It's my absolute favorite word to work into a conversation, hahahaha
  • Also: 

Ok...ours aren't that cool. It's just a little window on the side of the liquor store.

But I can buy any kind of a liquor in any kind of store so...
  • Inkdancer said:

Also: 
    <snip>
    Ok...ours aren't that cool. It's just a little window on the side of the liquor store.

I really wish this were literally true. It would make shopping so much more fun if I could buy champagne to soothe the ache of trying on swimsuits. 

You can at Target in Michigan!

Yeah but they usually get mad if I crack open the bottle in the dressing room. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • ashley8918ashley8918 member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2015
    Inkdancer said:

Inkdancer said:

Also: 
    <snip>

I really wish this were literally true. It would make shopping so much more fun if I could buy champagne to soothe the ache of trying on swimsuits. 

Yeah but they usually get mad if I crack open the bottle in the dressing room. ______________________________________

That is because they are jealous of how legitimate and honest your champagne habit is.
  • Inkdancer said:

Inkdancer said:

Also: 
    <snip>

Yeah but they usually get mad if I crack open the bottle in the dressing room. 

FI's mom insisted that we register for gifts before our engagement party because she wanted to get us something (we kept the registry a secret from everyone but her since engagement parties are not supposed to be for gifts). We went to Target so that I could register for typical stuff as well as liquor, cuz what the hell. My friends found out and all got me liquor. It was the best. 

• I always thought it would make more sense to serve champagne in swimsuit stores than at fancy bridal salons for exactly this reason.

As it is, I just drink three martinis with lunch and then go try stuff on.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • MagicInk said:

MagicInk said:

Not only is there a bus stop near my house, there is also a check cashing place and a DRIVE THROUGH LIQUOR STORE. It's like poor people central over here.

The fact that I have never been to, or even seen, a drive-thru liquor store is proof that I have not sufficiently lived life to the fullest. 
    I'm not sure it's an exclusive to AZ thing, but most out of staters are freaked out by them. But they are fucking fantastic. They always have huge drinks super cheap (like sodas) with crushed ice and you don't have to get out of your car!

We have them in Kentucky too.
  • edited June 2015
  • flyingfoxesflyingfoxes member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2015
    jdluvr06 said:

MagicInk said:

MagicInk said:

Not only is there a bus stop near my house, there is also a check cashing place and a DRIVE THROUGH LIQUOR STORE. It's like poor people central over here.

The fact that I have never been to, or even seen, a drive-thru liquor store is proof that I have not sufficiently lived life to the fullest. 
    I'm not sure it's an exclusive to AZ thing, but most out of staters are freaked out by them. But they are fucking fantastic. They always have huge drinks super cheap (like sodas) with crushed ice and you don't have to get out of your car!

@jdluvr06 - wut!  OMG we are moving to Kentucky in July - I must see these for myself. 

I live in MO and work in KS.  KS makes you buy your liquor at liquor stores.  I prefer MO - we allow you to buy whatever you want at the gas station, Walmart, Target, CVS - whatever.  I can't be held down by the Man in KS. 

• jdluvr06 said:

MagicInk said:

MagicInk said:

@jdluvr06 - wut!  OMG we are moving to Kentucky in July - I must see these for myself. 

I live in MO and work in KS.  KS makes you buy your liquor at liquor stores.  I prefer MO - we allow you to buy whatever you want at the gas station, Walmart, Target, CVS - whatever.  I can't be held down by the Man in KS. 

It's pretty awesome. In central Kentucky they have drive thru convenience stores.
  • Creepy Lurker McLurkerton here. Thoroughly entertained and would like to chime in.

I live in Indiana.

1) Can't buy cold beer in the grocery store, only at official liquor stores.

2) NO BOOZE SOLD ON SUNDAYS

This is cruel and unusual for someone like myself who hails from Ohio where the attitude is: "BEER ALL THE TIME FOR EVERYONE ESPECIALLY ON SUNDAYS!"

• hellopig said:

Creepy Lurker McLurkerton here. Thoroughly entertained and would like to chime in.

I live in Indiana.

This is cruel and unusual for someone like myself who hails from Ohio where the attitude is: "BEER ALL THE TIME FOR EVERYONE ESPECIALLY ON SUNDAYS!"

I live in Indiana too, and the Sunday law is so stupid. However, I grew up in a town that's about 5 minutes from the Michigan border, and there is a liquor store RIGHT on the other side of that border, and Michigan does not have the Sunday law :) 
    Every Sunday, that parking lot was jam-packed full of cars that had Indiana license plates lol 
  • I live in MN and you can't buy ANY beer or wine at the grocery store (well okay you can get 3.2 almost nonalcoholic beer) :( And liquor stores are closed on Sundays. Because it's totally better to have people go to the bar instead and drive home after. 
  • I hope this thread never dies.

• FiancB said:

I live in MN and you can't buy ANY beer or wine at the grocery store (well okay you can get 3.2 almost nonalcoholic beer) :( And liquor stores are closed on Sundays. Because it's totally better to have people go to the bar instead and drive home after. 

Where I hail from (Wisconsin) the above reasoning is actually the reason why we have no liquor sales after 11 p.m.--the bar lobby is so strong that they don't want anyone buying booze after a certain hour that they aren't getting from a bar. 

The bar lobby is also the reason our DUI laws are so hopelessly, disgustingly weak, but that's another story.

I was so pleased when I moved to NY and found I could get myself a bodega beer anytime of the day or night!
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • There was a bill up this session to change the Sunday Stupid Law this year and it's already been defeated in committee or whatever.

• FiancB said:

I live in MN and you can't buy ANY beer or wine at the grocery store (well okay you can get 3.2 almost nonalcoholic beer) :( And liquor stores are closed on Sundays. Because it's totally better to have people go to the bar instead and drive home after. 

Wow, that's worse than Oregon! You can get beer and wine in grocery stores here, but no liquor. I grew up in CA where you can guy liquor pretty much anywhere, so it took some getting used to. Now, whenever we drive back to CA we go to Costco for $13 handles of vodka and giant bottles of bourbon, since it also costs twice as much in OR as in CA. (Ex: a fifth of Bulleit in OR costs about $32; a HANDLE of Bulleit in CA costs $34.)

All liquor stores here are just called "Liquor Store", and they all set their own hours. Which means some close at 4pm, some 8pm, and there is ONE I know of that stays open until 10pm. Some are open Sundays, others not. And it's really hard to remember which ones have decent hours.

But alas, these are truly First World Problems...
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • FiancBFiancB member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2015
    Yep I'm originally from Oregon and I was amazed when I stopped at some gas station in the middle of nowhere in Idaho or something and I could buy hard alcohol. But alas, MN is worse. I miss being able to pick up wine at Fred Meyer. Ha. 
  • hellopig said:

Creepy Lurker McLurkerton here. Thoroughly entertained and would like to chime in.

I live in Indiana.

I live in Indiana too, and the Sunday law is so stupid. However, I grew up in a town that's about 5 minutes from the Michigan border, and there is a liquor store RIGHT on the other side of that border, and Michigan does not have the Sunday law :) 
    Every Sunday, that parking lot was jam-packed full of cars that had Indiana license plates lol 
    My grandmother lives in Indiana and the law that got me growing up was that in a restaurant someone underage could not be seated in view of the bar. It's stupid. Your parents could drink at the table and half the time going to the bathroom, you saw the bar.
  • You can buy beer and wine at some pharmacies here, Target, and most gas stations. Beer, wine, and liquor at most grocery stores. After noon on Sundays, and you can buy a special license that lets you sell all day for a higher fee.

• hellopig said:

I live in Indiana.

We used to have the Sunday law here in DE. Now the liquor stores stay open for only a few hours. And our last call is 12 45am.

Yet somehow we have the 4th highest alcohol consumption rate in the country....

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• novella1186novella1186 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2015

hellopig said:

I live in Indiana.

My grandmother lives in Indiana and the law that got me growing up was that in a restaurant someone underage could not be seated in view of the bar. It's stupid. Your parents could drink at the table and half the time going to the bathroom, you saw the bar.
    That's weird... I was told at a restaurant that a minor could sit IN the bar (like as in a restaurant bar) as long as they were accompanied by a parent. No idea if that's true or not. 

I had to take alcohol law classes multiple times to get my liquor license to be able to serve alcohol when I worked in restaurants and every instructor always started the class by saying "The excise laws in Indiana are confusing and stupid..." 

ETA: I just looked it up cuz it was bugging me:
    MINORS ALLOWED ON
    PREMISE?
    Minors under 21 are not allowed in bars or taverns, except if 18 or with
    parents expressly to dine. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards