Chit Chat

Celebrity Encounters: The Good, the Bad, the Ugly

There was an AskReddit yesterday for women who have slept with rock stars or celebrities, and while on the one hand, *uuuuuggghhhhhhhh,* on the other hand, the stories are fascinating. So I was wondering if any Knotties had any good "celebrity encounter" stories.

I have three celebrity encounter stories. My celebrity encounters are really nerdy. And I don't mean in a kind-of-cool "met Patrick Stewart at Dragon*Con" stories (which my friends have, the lucky bastards), I mean I've met the former chairman of the Federal Reserve Alan Greenspan. I met him through work and I know absolutely zilch about economics, so I asked him what it was like to be on "The Daily Show." He thought I was talking about the book he was promoting, but I was just genuinely asking what it was like to meet Jon Stewart. Alan Greenspan blew me off.

My other nerdy celebrity encounter of note was Salman Rushdie. He taught an English class at my alma mater and I saw him walking through the library one day while I was talking to my friend, a desk assistant. I literally spit my coffee into my friend's face upon seeing Salman Rushdie. Sir Salman Rushdie was less than impressed.

Lastly, I once saw Samuel L. Jackson on a plane from Philadelphia to Atlanta. No one made a fuss because he was staring us all down, like, "I dare one of you motherfuckers to say something."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Celebrity Encounters: The Good, the Bad, the Ugly

• I run into Snoop Dogg at the CVS and 76 gas station near my house every once in awhile.  His son was on my friends football team, and for awhile they had a super pimped out tour bus for their "away" games before some parents started to get upset about what Snoop Dogg was up to.  I've run into various celebrities in LA, but nothing to get excited about.  Honestly, most of the time I miss them until someone I'm with notices instead. 

• I met George Takei about a year ago. He was the guest speaker at a conference I was attending for work. It was supposed to be LeVar Burton, but he had to cancel last minute, so they got Takei instead. He was fine, but I had a really good time talking to his husband Brad. I told him about how my mother's gay and the kind of life she had before she came out, and he recommended some websites to me, which I promptly forgot. I'm sure I made a total ass of myself geeking out, but it was still super cool.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• edited April 2015
    I met Trace Adkins at Country Thunder when I was like 18. He was rude as shit. He could not have appeared less interested in meeting fans before his show (we all won meet-and-greets so it wasn't like we shouldn't have been there).

When I was 14, Black Label Society (one of my favorite bands) was playing at a club in my town that was 21 and over. My friend and I went there after school and just stood around. Someone invited us to go inside and we sat there for the entire sound check and met the band, took pictures, got autographs. It was freaking awesome.

ETA: Also, when I was 11 and my dad took me to Seattle, we had to wait for like four hours to go up in the Space Needle because Puff Daddy (he was still Puff Daddy then LOL) was there. 

I've also met Coach Ditka at his radio show. He's awesome. And Tom Waddle, if he counts as a "celebrity". 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • I love these stories! I haven't met any celebrities so I think it is awesome that you all have!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Those are awesome encounters! I have a handful:

I met Obama during his first campaign. A friend was working on the campaign and invited me to the back room of an event. We chatted for about 5 minutes about shared connections-- lots of my family was living within a block of him back then and my gramma helped with his campaign for state senate.

I met the Backstreet Boys in college when I was working in the green room of the venue. My then-boyfriend-like person managed security for the place and hired me for the day because he thought it would be fun. I wasn't a huge fan of the band but it was pretty cool meeting them. They mostly just wanted to relax and eat though.

I met Elton John at a kid's birthday party. I forget the story but he's the godfather of a one of my parent's friend's grandkids. He was nice but totally disinterested in people gawking at him. I have an autograph somewhere though.

I once took the train from Boston to NYC. I moved my bag for someone to take the seat next to me. It was Amy Sedaris. It took me a while to figure out why I recognized her but then I told her how much I loved her book and how I gave it to a bunch of friends for Christmas. She told me to give her my name/address so she could send me a copy of her next book. She never did.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • abl13abl13 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper 5 Love Its
    I got my picture taken with Bob Saget after he did a comedy show at my college! For some reason after the show we waited by a side door to see if he would be leaving that way but he saw all of us and came over to talk to us and take pics. My friends and I are obsessed with Full House and it was pretty much the best thing ever.
  • levioosa said:

I run into Snoop Dogg at the CVS and 76 gas station near my house every once in awhile.  His son was on my friends football team, and for awhile they had a super pimped out tour bus for their "away" games before some parents started to get upset about what Snoop Dogg was up to.  I've run into various celebrities in LA, but nothing to get excited about.  Honestly, most of the time I miss them until someone I'm with notices instead. 

The times I've been in New York have been like this. I was once with my church youth group and we saw a nondescript short white guy with a baseball cap walk past us, and we thought nothing of it until he was flocked by paparazzi. We asked a hot dog vendor who that guy was and he said, "Tobey Maguire, he's filming something here" as casually as if we had asked for the time. We were so starstruck.

Now that Atlanta has become a major filming location, I totally stalk film sets. "Mockingjay" parts 1 and 2 filmed a block away from where I work, so I would casually walk around the set on my lunch breaks to see if anything interesting was happening. They were filming District 13 scenes in a building that was also hosting a "My Little Pony" convention, so every now and then you would see an extra in the District 13 gray jumpsuits talking to a middle-aged man in a Rainbow Dash costume. Fun stuff.

When I used to drive to work, the people filming "Ride Along 2" asked me to move my car. I suppose I should have been starstruck (FI loooooovvvvves Kevin hart), but I really just felt like they were telling me my lights were on. I was pretty mortified. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited April 2015

I run into Guilana Rancic semi frequently. Her SIL lives in my town and I work near her condo/ restaurants

I will never forget when I was leaving Starbucks, carrying my brand new baby in his carseat and a drink while trying to find my cars. Bill, Guilana and Duke left a half second before me and Bill let the door slam in my face. Which is a huge pet peeve of mine.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have never met any. BUT my friend's best friend slept with Aaron Hernandez.....um yea....the Patriots player who just got convicted today of murder. She met him a few years ago in a bar and he took her home. This was only a week before he played in the Superbowl and he was legit texting her from the Superbowl asking to meet up when he flew back to Boston. So her triumph of sleeping with a superbowl player turned into the horror of sleeping with a murderer! Luckily she never met back up with him after that one time.

• Living in NYC I've seen quite a few on the street but I've never spoken to any of them. There's only a few that I can think of that I would have the courage to bother. I always said if I saw Dean Winters aka The Beeper King from 30 Rock I would yell OMG It's THE BEEPER KING. 

I've worked with a few celebrities and for the most part they are fine. I did a season of Top Model and the Jays/Nigel Barker/Polina were all really friendly and hung out with the crew a lot, were always super chatty. Tyra stayed in her dressing room the whole time and only spoke to her producers, but she wasn't actively rude to anyone. 

The only real nightmare story I have is that Tyson Beckford offered people $500 to anyone who would kick me in the face, that was fun. 
  • I met Trace Adkins at Country Thunder when I was like 18. He was rude as shit. He could not have appeared less interested in meeting fans before his show (we all won meet-and-greets so it wasn't like we shouldn't have been there).

When I was 14, Black Label Society (one of my favorite bands) was playing at a club in my town that was 21 and over. My friend and I went there after school and just stood around. Someone invited us to go inside and we sat there for the entire sound check and met the band, took pictures, got autographs. It was freaking awesome.

ETA: Also, when I was 11 and my dad took me to Seattle, we had to wait for like four hours to go up in the Space Needle because Puff Daddy (he was still Puff Daddy then LOL) was there. 

I've also met Coach Ditka at his radio show. He's awesome. And Tom Waddle, if he counts as a "celebrity". 
    I have met Ditka also. He looks so old in person.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I hung out with Sway from MTV. I ran into him at a bar in Harlem and drank Courvoisier with him and his friends. They were all really cool. I asked Sway who he thought the most interesting person he interviewed and he said Cory Booker. 

Not really an encounter, but my brother hung out with Bill Murray's son. I once saw him at a CYO game. 

I met Lorraine Bracco at my old nail salon. 

Rosie O'Donnell used to live in the town I grew up in. She was pretty unfriendly. 
  • jenna8984 said:

I have never met any. BUT my friend's best friend slept with Aaron Hernandez.....um yea....the Patriots player who just got convicted today of murder. She met him a few years ago in a bar and he took her home. This was only a week before he played in the Superbowl and he was legit texting her from the Superbowl asking to meet up when he flew back to Boston. So her triumph of sleeping with a superbowl player turned into the horror of sleeping with a murderer! Luckily she never met back up with him after that one time.

HOLY SHIT that's fucking crazy. 
  • daria24 said:

Living in NYC I've seen quite a few on the street but I've never spoken to any of them. There's only a few that I can think of that I would have the courage to bother. I always said if I saw Dean Winters aka The Beeper King from 30 Rock I would yell OMG It's THE BEEPER KING. 

I've worked with a few celebrities and for the most part they are fine. I did a season of Top Model and the Jays/Nigel Barker/Polina were all really friendly and hung out with the crew a lot, were always super chatty. Tyra stayed in her dressing room the whole time and only spoke to her producers, but she wasn't actively rude to anyone. 

The only real nightmare story I have is that Tyson Beckford offered people $500 to anyone who would kick me in the face, that was fun. 

OMG what? WHY?!

And I always had the biggest crush on Nigel.

• jenna8984 said:

I have never met any. BUT my friend's best friend slept with Aaron Hernandez.....um yea....the Patriots player who just got convicted today of murder. She met him a few years ago in a bar and he took her home. This was only a week before he played in the Superbowl and he was legit texting her from the Superbowl asking to meet up when he flew back to Boston. So her triumph of sleeping with a superbowl player turned into the horror of sleeping with a murderer! Luckily she never met back up with him after that one time.

Oh that reminds me of the craziest celebrity story I know, that didn't happen to me. My stepmother once slept with the guy who plays Shane on Walking Dead. She didn't realize it was him until she was watching the show with my dad.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• KatWAG said:

I met Trace Adkins at Country Thunder when I was like 18. He was rude as shit. He could not have appeared less interested in meeting fans before his show (we all won meet-and-greets so it wasn't like we shouldn't have been there).

Right?! He looks bigger in person too. His hands!!!

I also forgot that I met Gretchen Wilson. She played a show nearby and I won tickets on the radio. After, we picked the right bar because she and her band came in. We hung out her guitarist for a while and talked to her for a few minutes and got pictures. We discussed how Taylor Swift sucks. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • I met Oprah!  Stedman is from a small town in South Jersey near our beaches.  They have a big family reunion every year and Oprah and Stedman usually go.  But they stay at the super expensive beach town of Avalon in one of the giant mansions on the beach.  My friends' mom worked in a building on the main drag and kept seeing Oprah jog by each morning while they were there.  So my friends and I waited by the curb of her route and stopped her when she came by.  We had photos taken with her.  My picture with Oprah - it doesn't look anything like her :(  But my friends' photos - it does look like Oprah! 

I have also met Bill Clinton, but it was just a typical political rally so lots of people around trying to shake his hand and get photos.  My friend has met a few big politicians and gets her son to take photos with them.  She has a big collection!  One time she was working at a Democratic fundraiser for Hillary Clinton, she was only supposed to be a door greeter and was told she probably wouldn't meet Hillary.  After her and her co-worker were done, they snuck up to the receiving line Hillary was in and got pictures with her before anyone realized they weren't the people paying the big bucks to be there!

• KatWAG said:

Right?! He looks bigger in person too. His hands!!!

I also forgot that I met Gretchen Wilson. She played a show nearby and I won tickets on the radio. After, we picked the right bar because she and her band came in. We hung out her guitarist for a while and talked to her for a few minutes and got pictures. We discussed how Taylor Swift sucks. 

I actually like Taylor Swift, but I love that this was the topic of conversation. I mean, what else would you talk to Gretchen Wilson about?

Similarly, did you guys "invite" any celebrities to your wedding? Like President Obama or Mickey and Minnie?

• I have no cool star stories. My brother has met Tom Delonge a few times, and my sister met A Day to Remember or some band along those lines.

OOOOH NO WAIT! When I FIRST started working at Office Depot I was on cashier, and this guy came through my register with a printer. He had this fantastic tattoo on his right arm, and I asked him about it while I checked him out. It was a sort of tribal tattoo, but it wasn't, like, the standard tribal armband. He said it was for his daughter, and I told him how sweet I thought that was. And then he went on his merry way, and I got the line down.

Then a coworker came up to me and was like, "You know who that guy was, don't you?"

"Nope, who was he? Is he a regular?"

"That was Tim Hudson!"

At which point I got all excited and embarrassed, because I'd just had a conversation with Tim Hudson. It was flipping cool.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • I have no exciting celebrity encounters. Once time my friend and I got our picture made with Zac Brown after one of their concerts. This was way before they were famous though. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its

I hung out with Sway from MTV. I ran into him at a bar in Harlem and drank Courvoisier with him and his friends. They were all really cool. I asked Sway who he thought the most interesting person he interviewed and he said Cory Booker. 

Not really an encounter, but my brother hung out with Bill Murray's son. I once saw him at a CYO game. 

Rosie O'Donnell used to live in the town I grew up in. She was pretty unfriendly. 
    I worked on a cruise ship for a summer & started my contract the week after her gay cruise. Everyone said she was a complete & total nightmare. 
  • Ha I just remembered this story. My BF worked at H&M in Soho. One day this guy in sunglasses comes up to her and asks her to pull a dress off a mannequin because it was the only one in that size left. She told him that it was company policy that they were not allowed to pull the clothes off the mannequins, but she could call over to a nearby store and ask them if they have the size. He pulled down his sunglasses in a "don't you see who I am" way and said "really, you can't take the dress off...for ME."

It was Corey Feldman. BF thoroughly enjoyed saying telling him no. And pretending she had no idea who he was.

The other H&M was like three blocks away BTW and had it in stock, he could have just walked for 5 minutes. 
  • I've encountered a lot of celebrities.  There was often one at the resorts I worked and/or lived on St John.  I've partied with Kenny Chesney a few times.  Super nice, normal guy.  

The worse celebrity was William Perry.  Now for you young folk it might not be a name you recognize, but he played football for the Chicago Bears when they won the SuperBowl.   He was traded to the Eagles.  At the time the Eagles' training camp was in the town I lived in.  They all use to come to the bar I went to.   

The bar was also the sponsor my at-the-time-BF's baseball team.  They just won the championship and we were at the bar celebrating.   Some of the guys had kids who were there also (this was during the day when kids were allowed).   Some of the kids went up to him for an autograph and he was such an ass.  Basically yelled at him for stalking him.   Yeah, no buddy.  They were there celebrating their dad's victory.  It's not like the place was crowded then either.  It was basically us and him.   

I also met a lot of football players during that time.  My 21st b-day was spent doing shots with the offense and defensive line of the Eagles.   Mike Golic bought me shots.  He is such a great family guy.    Some of his teammates were nothing but pigs.  Doesn't help when women throw themselves at them either.  I couldn't get into the bathroom once because a girl was giving one of the players a blowjob.

I've been backstage at a bunch of DMB concerts and met some people.   On the boat I've seen Robin Meade, Katie Couric, Joan Lunden, Dr J, some soap star from Days of our lives who has been there forever.  Kurt Herbstreet was on the boat too.   A few others I can't remember.

Obama was at our resort when he was campaigning. DH cooked for him and the family every day.  I saw them on the beach.  Seemed nice. They didn't come on the boat though.   Joe and Jill Biden ate at DH's place every xmas/nye time.   A few other politicians too.  Dh has cooked for the last 5 presidents (not always when they were presidents).

The vast majority of the people are cool.   DH was in a celebrity golf tournament for the 6 years he was in STT. He played with Too Tall Jones and we took him out without one night. Dude was 60+ years old, partying until the wee hours of the night picking up 20-year olds.  God love him.  

Jim McMahon is one weird dude.  Smokes a lot of pot and kept asking guests on the beach if they wanted to watch him F his women.

One time DH got a fish shipment that was not his.  To be fair DH was the only one on island who ordered from the place. So the island guys just looked at the company and just delivered it to him.  Come to find out it was ordered from a big yacht.   DH was able to track down the yacht and they met him on the beach to get the fish.   Who pops off the dingy with a bottle of Crystal?   Russell Crowe.   Yep, that was his thank you for DH tracking his fish down.  

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I've gone to a bunch of celeb meet-and-greet type events. Alton Brown, Jamie Oliver, Morimoto, Bobby Flay, Giada, Michael Psilakis... those Food Network chefs are always doing something in my area. Phil Rizzuto and his wife used to be clients of mine - cheapest bastards EVER. I hated working with them.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• ElcaB said:

I hung out with Sway from MTV. I ran into him at a bar in Harlem and drank Courvoisier with him and his friends. They were all really cool. I asked Sway who he thought the most interesting person he interviewed and he said Cory Booker. 

I worked on a cruise ship for a summer & started my contract the week after her gay cruise. Everyone said she was a complete & total nightmare. 
    Yup, does not surprise me. Even if people just said hello to her while walking down the street, she completely ignored them. She treated waiters and waitresses pretty shitty too. 
  • I've met quite a few people; the latest was Chris Pratt a few days ago. While I love him, I was really only interested to see if he brought along Anna.

The most disappointing was George Lucas. I'm a huge Star Wars fan and he was a real grump to me.

Most humble was Blake Griffin.

Kristi Alley was the most hysterical.

Worst by far was AJ McLean. I met him in a club and he was a complete sleazeball. Invited me back to his buddy's place for drinks and coke and I said, thanks but no thanks. My first aim sn was AjMcLeanLover1987 so you can imagine my whole pre-teen dreams were crushed in an instant.

imageimage

• My FI recently sat next to Steven Seagal on a cross-country flight. FI got a rare and unexpected first class upgrade and says that all he did was smile at the man and then proceed to mind his own business for the remainder of the 6 hour flight. I'm sure the actor was super-relieved that he didn't get stuck sitting next to a chatty celebrity-chaser.

Also, apparently the action movie star hasn't aged very well at all. And he's enormous.
  • amelishaamelisha member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited April 2015

Worst by far was AJ McLean. I met him in a club and he was a complete sleazeball. Invited me back to his buddy's place for drinks and coke and I said, thanks but no thanks. My first aim sn was AjMcLeanLover1987 so you can imagine my whole pre-teen dreams were crushed in an instant.
    That is hilarious to me because I had a uni classmate who partied with him in Vegas over reading week a few years ago and she said exactly the same thing. Also that she was totally gung-ho to sleep with him just because of who he was but he was just SO GROSS she couldn't go through with it in the end. She told the whole class on our first day back and all the girls were secretly mourning their lost childhoods, I think :P

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I worked at the White House for the Bush Administration. So I met Bush and Cheney multiple times. I  got to take my parents into the White House for a sit down in the Oval Office with Pres. Bush.

I brought my mom with me to a Christmas party and Laura Bush came over to asked my mom where her dress was from. She is so stunned she almost couldn't answer.

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards