Wedding Party
Options

Non-Traditional Bridesmaids

Re: Non-Traditional Bridesmaids

• Options
    missfrodo said:
    I would be horrendously offended if I received this letter from you, and probably drop our friendship after your wedding (if not before).  It really looks like you're asking for free labor.  PLUS you want them to coordinate dresses with the bridal party, but they aren't allowed to stand up with the bridal party?  Why not just make them BMs?  The only thing your BMs need to do is show up the day of in the agreed upon attire (after privately asking each person her budget), stand next to you at the ceremony, and pose for pictures.  It's nice to say you don't "require" all those things on your list, but honestly it's going to read like a list of expectations and demands, and you'll look very greedy just "suggesting" your friends take on all this stuff for you.  
    If you want a way to honor people without making them bridesmaids, you can ask them to do a reading.  Or write each person a personalized letter explaining how much they mean to you, but don't send it as a consolation prize for not being in your wedding!  You could also give these people corsages/flowers if you wanted to show them how much they mean to you.  

PS: I'm trying to be really nice in my reply to you, on the offchance that you are a real human and not a troll.  Be aware that your friends will not complain about this to your face if you give it to them, but be CONFIDENT that they will bitch about it behind your back; a letter like this would likely color my opinion of someone for the rest of my life, and you'd be colored greedy, conceited, and high-maintenance, at minimum.  If you don't want to come off this way to the people you love, don't send the letter!
    So much this.

OP, you say it's not your prerogative to put your friends in a second tier, but if you send this letter, it will communicate to them that they are second tier. You expect them to do everything bridesmaids would do (wear the wedding colors, pose for pictures, etc.), plus shower you with parties and gifts, yet at the same time they are not as important as your "real bridesmaids" who are the only ones special enough to stand up with you at the altar.

Please do not do this to your friends. 
  • Options
    flantasticflantastic member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2016
    OP, your friends are smart enough to know that not everyone can be in a wedding party, and that they already have the option to offer a shower or bachelorette (and that they have the option to come to one they haven't planned if they receive an invitation).

This letter is unnecessary and insulting, if you genuinely mean to "let them know" that they can still do these things. They know. So it just comes off as a super passive "reminder" that "hey, I know I didn't ask you to stand up with me, but my sisters will need help if I'm to have the sort of parties I'm envisioning, so you better offer to help."

And no one wants to just sit up front apart from their significant others. No one wants to have to buy a dress to match your wedding colors. No one wants to be in posed wedding pictures instead of enjoying the cocktail hour. That's not an honor - that's for you, and you're not giving them anything in return except an exceedingly stupid title.
  • Options
    I don't know if it's because my husband has been binge-watching Miami Vice or what, but all the conversations about coordinating colors and dress codes just reminds me about how nearly everything on MV is pastel or neutral. The director wouldn't allow anyone to ever wear red clothes. 

Why do wedding photos have to look like Miami Vice? Who the fuck cares if clothes coordinate?

• Options

Oh Green Goddess on a Cracker, don't do this if you want to keep any of your friends.  Your letter is basically saying "so, I've decided your not good enough to be in my wedding but I still expect you to show up at all the parties with gifts, and be on hand to be personal servants for anyone who needs anything".

I would be beyond offended if I received that letter.

• Options
    MobKaz said:
    And the Oscar goes to...................

This cannot be real life!
    This was a great movie BTW.

Anyways- don't send this letter. It really isn't necessary and you will actually probably hurt people's feelings by making this grand gesture to not hurt their feelings.

• Options
    It appears you have missed recent events.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Removed for TOS violation
  • Options
    Thank you all for your feedback, I have decided to let each know individually of how much I would like their presence to be heard at every event. As well, I feel it may be best to simply include a "dress code" for all guests in the invitation itself. I believe that would make the whole ordeal a lot more smooth. I will create some sort of facebook group so the ladies can begin to meet each other and decide if they in fact want to coordinate with themselves, or my sisters. They will be in many of my photos as if they were brides maids, so if they want to act as such, they may. I will be happy just knowing all the people I love are under one roof. 

What could POSSIBLY go wrong - and speaking to them about this "your not a BM" type stuff personally is just as insulting BTW... 

No - you're not allowed to tell your guests how to dress even if you're having a pink with purple polka-dots theme and want your guests to match.  They should get the level of formalness through your invitation and if you want to drop color hints it's through the use of color in your invitations/envelope choices.  Why would a guest choose to behave/act like a BM if they aren't one - it makes them look bad to do so...

• Options
    SP29SP29 member
    Please, don't do this. No letters. No explanations.

You have chosen your WP. That is wholly your decision to make- own it. No one is entitled to a spot in your WP. No one is going to look down on you or judge you for choosing your sisters.

You don't need a reason to have someone invited to your shower or bachelorette party- this doesn't need to be "explained" in your letter. As said before, you do this by sending them an invitation to the event (well the host does).

You can always invite ANYONE to get ready with you. This also doesn't require a letter or formal invitation- just ask them!

You could invite them to get their nails done a few days before, maybe do lunch/dinner as well.

You do not tell adults how to dress or require anyone not in the WP to match your colours. Your invitation will show the level of formality of your wedding and you can design your invites with your wedding colours included- people will know.

You can give these friends a corsage if you really want, but I agree you shouldn't be separating them from their SOs during the ceremony, and it potentially makes your other guests look second tier. "Why do these guests get corsages and a seat in the front row but I don't?"

You never ask anyone to help you plan your wedding. If they offer you may accept, but THEY must offer.

Please- no titles! These are your friends and your guests, they don't need another title.

Story time- My best friend who was my MOH didn't have a WP. A few of us still got together and planned both a shower and bachelorette party for her. She did not ask us to, we offered (well the shower we planned as a surprise with the help of her mom). We also got together two days before the wedding to get our nails done. We all paid our own way (one of my friends paid for the bride), but it was fun to hang out and chat. We took group and individual photos together at the reception. Why did we do all this? Because we are her friends and wanted to. We didn't need a letter or an explanation from her on any account. We all know that anyone can offer to host a party and that we're all friends. We didn't need to sit up in the front row to see her get married any different than the rows we sat in like the other guests.

• Options
    Ditto everything PPs have said.  I cringed when I read that letter.  Do not do this.  How incredibly insulting.

Oh, and dictating attire for you guests is incredibly rude.

• Options
    I believe having all guests match in the same colours would be the best option in the end. However, I will have to disagree with corsages, those are just tacky.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    I believe having all guests match in the same colours would be the best option in the end. However, I will have to disagree with corsages, those are just tacky.
    I agree with you about the corsages, not a fan. However the tackiness of them pales in comparison to the rest of your plans. Stop trying to control what adults wear. 

Eta: just to add that corsages, whilst a matter of personal taste, are not rude to gift to someone. Dictating adults attire is rude, rude, rude.

• Options
    OP, it's just a wedding. Yes, it's a very special day for you and your partner. Yes, friends and family will be happy for you and excited to support you as you make this commitment. But it's not the most important thing that will happen in the history of the world. Your friends are grown ups that will understand they are not in the wp, they don't need reminded that they haven't been selected. Why would you ever have to remind them they will be welcome to your bachelorette? They don't need a dress code or a facebook group either, let things happen organically. Stop trying to micromanage your friends. Basically just calm your tits.
    Love seeing English phrases on here! 
    Another apt one for this ridiculous situation is 'wind your neck in'!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Why do you believe in "decorating" your guests in your wedding colors? You don't become a dictator of everyone's attire because you are the bride; that's a super bridezilla move and you'll be the talk of your guests (not in a good way). 

Stop trying to control everyone.
  • Options
    I think you are trying to come from a good place, but the letter is just a big No. Especially the parts about wearing wedding colors and assisting with the wedding. 

Being in a similar position I think I understand where you are coming from. I have a number of really close friends (whose weddings I've been in) who would have been bridesmaids, however I've decided to only have my sister stand with me.  We are adults with strong friendships that at least span a decade - they know their importance in my life.  A few have asked, and we've talked about it.  No one is hurt. In fact I think they might be secretly happy to not buy a matching dress :smile:  But those I've talked about this with have made it very clear how happy they are for me, and that they hope to be there to celebrate during any pre-wedding events (if any are planned) and the day of.

Closer to the wedding I will tell them where I will be, if they would like to stop by that morning when I am getting ready. They are my closest friends, of course we will talk about all that. However there won't be any expectations, they may want the morning to relax and get ready with their husbands and children. I would like to have our photographer get a picture of us, but I'm more about candid pictures so I hope it will just organically happen.  Probably at the reception I'll pull everyone aside for a quick minute for a picture.
  • Options
    geebee908 said:
    Why do you believe in "decorating" your guests in your wedding colors? You don't become a dictator of everyone's attire because you are the bride; that's a super bridezilla move and you'll be the talk of your guests (not in a good way). 

Stop trying to control everyone.
    If you need photographs of everyone in matching wedding colors, why not just get some mannequins of everyone, dress them how you like, and have them photographed? That's easier than trying to get all your guests to wear matching attire - not to mention that it's polite and telling your guests what to wear isn't.
  • Options
    flantasticflantastic member
    edited March 2016
    FFS, "wedding colo[u]rs" just mean:

"I think that I'll have most of my decorations and flowers be roughly cream, purple, and gold, and hopefully we can find bridesmaids' dresses in one of those colors that aren't too expensive and my friends like wearing."

not

"Everyone and everything that gets photographed at my wedding better match this crazy scheme or everything is ruined."

You have no right whatsoever to try to dress your guests. None. I would laugh when I read your color requirement and probably wear something bright red, assuming that's not one of the prescribed colors.
  • Options
    FFS, "wedding colo[u]rs" just mean:

"I think that I'll have most of my decorations and flowers be roughly cream, purple, and gold, and hopefully we can find bridesmaids' dresses in one of those colors that aren't too expensive and my friends like wearing."

not

"Everyone and everything that gets photographed at my wedding better match this crazy scheme or everything is ruined."

You have no right whatsoever to try to dress your guests. None. I would laugh when I read your color requirement and probably wear something bright red, assuming that's not one of the prescribed colors.
    Exactly this.  If you tell me I have to wear purple, I'm going to wear my green and black dress.  If you tell me I have to wear green, I'm going to wear my purple/brown/orange dress.  I am not a doll you can dress up to your liking.
  • Options
    Oh darn, the French was a TOS violation? I knew I should have gone to Google Translate when I had a chance. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards