Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Refusing a Plus 1?

Re: Refusing a Plus 1?

• Options

This. This right here. You can't make everyone happy. My fiancé and I have finally come to this.

To those arguing over Delena's original post, yes, OP posted this on an etiquette board, but that doesn't mean everyone needs to break out arguing over who's right and wrong instead of trying to help the OP...

I would do the same thing Delena said, politely tell her no in the first place. Our list is finalized. We are inviting the SO's we have met. Period. We have spoken face to face with the 2 guests who's SO's we have not met, and won't be inviting, and both have been very understanding of the situation. Our wedding is small, because of our budget. It is important to us to have our family there, with only our closest friends. We would rather invite my Aunt who lives out of state than invite our friends boyfriend whom we have never met. We explained our finances to these people. One of them did not have a SO at the time we printed invites, they were not included in our guest count. Inviting them would put us over our limit, when everything has already been booked and paid for. If something happens where someone RSVP's that they cannot make it, okay. we will let those 2 guests know it is okay for them to bring their SO's-We have said this to them. One said even if we have room, she wouldn't bring him because he doesn't know us, or anyone else that will be at our wedding, and her SO would be extremely uncomfortable.

I don't think situations like this mean the bride/groom care any less about their guests. Especially in the case of the OP. Someone else posted along the lines of "weddings are for your closest family and friends"-then why invite complete strangers, especially when the guest is perfectly okay with you not inviting them? And please, don't try to play devils advocate "They probably said it just to make you think it's okay" Because our friends aren't like that, especially these 2. They are very outspoken and have had no problem speaking up about anything else in the past.

I'm not looking to argue here, I don't particularly care if someone wants to respond to this and give me crap, this is just my opinion. Not arguing, just putting my opinion and experiences out there, right or wrong.

And if I were in OP's shoes, I wouldn't want Jane as a friend at this point, so being afraid of offending her would be out the window at this point. I would call her out and tell her I feel like she tried to guilt trip me into getting an invite after 3 years of not speaking, and now she's saying she plans to bring a plus 1, when that wasn't on the invite? We are no longer friends, not just because of this situation, but because we have been out of touch for so many years. Consider yourself uninvited. Byeeeeeee

To the bolded: You may not feel that way, but your guests will. And really - you are inviting all SOs except for two? I don't care how understanding these two friends seemed - of course they will act understanding to your face, most people don't want to ruffle feathers. But I bet at least one of them feels pretty shitty for their SO being singled out as not good enough to attend. Seriously, you really should figure out a way to include these two SOs who you deemed unimportant. You are being rude.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    KahlylaKahlyla member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited March 2016
    banana468 said:
    I think she means, "At the end of the day she's going to wake up next to her husband and because she's treated her friends and family like shit she's only going to have him so screw you all."

Because spending your money is a reason to treat others poorly.  

This isn't even good trolling.   Is it spring break somewhere?? 
    It's March Break in Canada, yes! Maybe it's a Canuck troll? I have hope that someone wouldn't truly be this awful.
  • Options
    But seriously... if you're inviting your best friends and family to your wedding, don't you want to meet their SOs and wouldn't your wedding be a great opportunity to do so? Isn't it normal to care about your friends and their lives and want to be involved?
    If you care so little about a friend that you have no interest in meeting their SO and you'll tell them to their face that their relationship isn't important enough to you to merit an invitation, then why are you even inviting them? Save the money and don't spend it on friends you clearly care so little about.
    Because these couples are greedy, entitled shits that want presents.  All the presents.
    True! And we all know they are obligatory. Lizzie Post and Ask Natalie said so!
  • Options
    The "no SOs we've never met" thing gets me every time.

To anyone using that stupid rule, I'd like to pose the question "why have you not met them?" and really think about it.

What if the reason you've never met is because you don't live in the same town as the guest and therefore haven't met their SO yet. So... you're going to invite your guest, expect them to come and fawn all over your relationship, while essentially telling them that their relationship means about as much to you as dog doodoo... and you're also making them travel alone and without a partner to split a hotel room with. And you're separating two people in love for possibly a good number of days.

What if the reason you've never met is because your guest and/or their SO has been super busy with work/school and has been so stressed and frazzled that there hasn't been time to coordinate a meetup? Assuming they happen to be free the night of your wedding, that means you are separating them on a night where they would have been able to spend much needed time together. And you're also turning what could have been a wonderful, relaxing and fun break from the madness for your guest, into a very bittersweet event since they won't be able to share it with their most important person.

What if the reason you've never met is because the SO is shy/anti-social/just has no interest in meeting people? In this case, if you invite them, they probably won't come anyway, so you don't spend the money but you don't look like a total jerk.

What if the reason you've never met is because you've been so self-absorbed and wrapped up in your own wedding that you haven't taken the time to get up to speed in what and who is important in your friends' lives? If you don't invite them, your friends will see that the Bridezilla behavior you've exhibited the last few months extends even further: they don't get to share an evening with a person they love because they dared to find that love during your speshul "it's all about me and my wedding" season and that you care more about the dress and flowers and placesettings you're spending your money on than you do your friend.

We could go on and on with more examples.

But seriously... if you're inviting your best friends and family to your wedding, don't you want to meet their SOs? Isn't it normal to care about your friends and their lives and want to be involved?
    If you care so little about a friend that you have no interest in meeting their SO and you'll tell them to their face that their relationship isn't important enough to you to merit an invitation, then why are you even inviting them? Save the money and don't spend it on friends you clearly care so little about.
    I agree with this so much, so there's not much to add. Not inviting SOs generally, but specifically for the reason that you haven't met, is hurtful. 

But since the money aspect is being thrown out, maybe it would help to consider it the other way.  If I were to get invited to a wedding, probably out of town, I will be putting up money for travel, hotel room, gift, Friday wedding (?) that's a day I have to take off work.  There's a good chance I bought you a nice shower gift. My point is, I'll be putting up a decent amount of money to see you get married.  Which I don't mind doing, I love attending events and buying gifts to celebrate the big moments in my friends' lives.  It just seems so easy for someone to throw out that they're paying X amount of dollars per plate as an excuse, when I'm (as a guest) putting up a decent amount of money too for this wedding.  Re-budget and decide what is really important, whether that's cutting your guest list or finding money elsewhere (cutting down on flowers or not having favors).

I'm a pretty independent person, and have no qualms about attending events or traveling alone, I've attended many weddings solo.  Excuses as to why someone's SO isn't invited never really cut it in my book including the popular: "But they will be sitting with friends anyway." Is that friend group comprised of mostly couples? If so, that sucks.  I'll have people to talk to for dinner and then I'll be on my own.

Honestly, at this point in my life, if I were invited w/o my significant other to a wedding, and I knew it was because the couple had never met him, I would seriously consider how convenient it is for me to attend. I all honesty, I would probably have some things to consider about my friendship too.   
  • Options
    @delena76  Re: they haven't been together x amount of time. My daughter and SIL met and became serious rather quickly. They were both invited to the wedding of SIL's friend who had never met DD. She met a lot of SIL's friends for the first time at that wedding. They became engaged and married within a year and a half of meeting. Most of the friends at that wedding came to their wedding. DD was very excited to see all of them again. So if DD and SOL hadn't been dating your arbitrary amount of time/you hadn't met her, new friendships wouldn't have been made! I feel sorry for your friends.
  • Options
    Heffalump said:
    delena76 said:
    YOUR OPINION that I'm wrong doesn't make it fact my dear.  Guess what?  I'm NOT wrong because it's MY wedding and MY rules. 
    httplovelace-mediaimgixnetuploads191f663dc60-1f3c-0132-4e30-0ebc4eccb42fjpgw670fitmaxautoformatq70
    My husband's favorite is, "That's stupid.   *You're* stupid!" 
  • Options
    A friend of mine invited me and not H (then BF). He had met them a few times, but they B-listed him because reasons. It sucked. I was hurt because they knew him, knew me, but whatever arbitrary cutoff I made, but he didn't was ridiculous. They were rude. However I wasn't going to also be rude by pointing this out. Then had first tier guests decline and he was "allowed" to come. 

Also, I met H's friends at the wedding, he met some of mine, we met some of their SOs. I also met some of H's aunts and uncles. We both met his cousins SO that night. Should these people not have been invited because we didn't know them ahead of time? Do you seriously not see how insane that logic is?
  • Options
    lisakae44 said:
    Perhaps "serious relationship" was not the right phrase. The point being, we are not inviting SO's of under a year, or that we've never met. Though in this case, it's not actually an issue.
    Totally late to this, FI and I moved in together and were pregnant less than a year of being together, but nevermind that, it's not like we would be in a serious enough relationship to attend your wedding.
  • Options
    A friend of mine invited me and not H (then BF). He had met them a few times, but they B-listed him because reasons. It sucked. I was hurt because they knew him, knew me, but whatever arbitrary cutoff I made, but he didn't was ridiculous. They were rude. However I wasn't going to also be rude by pointing this out. Then had first tier guests decline and he was "allowed" to come. 

Also, I met H's friends at the wedding, he met some of mine, we met some of their SOs. I also met some of H's aunts and uncles. We both met his cousins SO that night. Should these people not have been invited because we didn't know them ahead of time? Do you seriously not see how insane that logic is?
    I think we need a flow chart for this...

1. Have you met the SO?
    If YES: Move on to question 2.
    If NO: Don't be an asshole. You are not all-important and don't get to decide whose relationships are valid.  Invite the SO.

2. Have your friend and SO been dating for more than a year?
    If YES: Move on to question 3.
    If NO: Skip to question 4.

3. Do you have room in your budget to invite SO?
    If YES: Congratulations! Your friend AND their SO made the cut.
    If NO: Don't be an asshole. Cut out the custom photobooth so you have room in your budget to invite both of them.

4. Are friend and SO engaged to be married and/or have a child?
    If YES: Congratulations! Your friend AND their SO made the cut.
    If NO: Don't be an asshole. Stop judging other people's relationships and invite both of them.

By THIS logic, all you need to do is not be an asshole.
    Bloody brilliant!

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    I'm late to the party as well ... Oh dear. I really needed colour commentary to keep track of the traffic. 

I really hope that anyone who is considering not inviting SOs has to attend a wedding by themselves without their SO (not by choice) so they can see what it feels like. Let's celebrate our relationship by pooh-poohing a guest's relationship ....
  • Options

Another perspective - I was invited to my cousin's wedding without H. He was FI at the time, but BF when invitations went out (I think). It was a family wedding so I went. Everyone was asking where he was and they wanted to meet him and congratulate us on the engagement and etc. So it was super awkward for me to be like, "He's at home..." without flat out saying that Cousin was a dick for not inviting him or making it seem like H was the dick for not coming.

There's no reason not to include SO. Even in the "super special $110 per plate I'm so great wedding". There are so many other places to cut costs.

I'm sure some bride would do this so that her "thunder wasn't stolen" by people congratulating you. Doesn't seem to have worked - not all conversation revolved around the bride. People still wanted to talk to you about your own life. Hmm.
  • Options
    banana468 said:

Another perspective - I was invited to my cousin's wedding without H. He was FI at the time, but BF when invitations went out (I think). It was a family wedding so I went. Everyone was asking where he was and they wanted to meet him and congratulate us on the engagement and etc. So it was super awkward for me to be like, "He's at home..." without flat out saying that Cousin was a dick for not inviting him or making it seem like H was the dick for not coming.

There's no reason not to include SO. Even in the "super special $110 per plate I'm so great wedding". There are so many other places to cut costs.

And if your super special $110/plate I'm so great wedding means that you can't afford to invite SOs then you can't afford your wedding.

SOs shouldn't be an after-thought.      
    So much this.

But as I said previously, people who make their GUESTS the priority over themselves and their vision have no trouble figuring this out.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards