Chit Chat

Who or what are you side-eyeing?

I'm side-eyeing all of the idiots on Facebook who are encouraging a bride to set a dress code for her bridesmaids at the shower.  They range from "not too short or tight" to themes (Dawn of the Dead, Pink and Pearls and St. Patrick's Day to name a few).  And of course, no white!

I'm also side-eyeing my boss for somehow having general compassion and empathy on a humanitarian level but not on an interpersonal level.

What and who are you side-eyeing today?

Re: Who or what are you side-eyeing?

• my friend who confirmed and RSVP'd for a mutual friend's birthday dinner this week on Saturday... only to text me today to say "sorry, can't make it, I have a family dinner that night that they really want me to go to..." 

I get that it's family, but you RSVP'd several days ago... basically you're telling me that you don't place our time and friendship very highly on your list because you can't tell your family no, you are already busy/committed that night? UGH.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • edited March 2016
    I'm side-eyeing all of the idiots on Facebook who are encouraging a bride to set a dress code for her bridesmaids at the shower.  They range from "not too short or tight" to themes (Dawn of the Dead, Pink and Pearls and St. Patrick's Day to name a few).  And of course, no white!

I'm also side-eyeing my boss for somehow having general compassion and empathy on a humanitarian level but not on an interpersonal level.

What and who are you side-eyeing today?
    1. "Dawn of the Dead" bridesmaids??? Really?

2. I've had bosses like that (fortunately not my current one). I feel your pain.

I'm side-eyeing my coworkers who know perfectly well what our procedures are but never follow them, so that I have to be the bad guy and ask them why they didn't get it done earlier. Also our roommate who says she's making a cigarette run when we know damn well she's going to her boyfriend's. A twelve-hour cigarette run? Come on, we're all adults here.
  • I'm side-eyeing a few people at work who cannot wash their own lunch dishes. I'm not sure who they expect to clean up after them, but it is gross and rude.

• I'm side eyeing a friend of FI who invited us to his castle wedding in the middle of butt-fuck nowhere.  They basically want the castle wedding, but are too cheap to swing for anything near civilization.  So it's the guests who need to eat the cost by staying at the (over priced) castle hotel for the night, or face a 3 hour drive home after the reception. 

Oh, we're also not invited to the wedding itself, just the reception after the dinner, but at least "partner's are invited as well!"  I've met the guy several times, but I'm willing to bet he couldn't tell you my name if his life depended on it.
  • driddrid member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    I'm a straight-up side-eye a-holic lately. 

We have a couple that we're close friends who decided to have a Mexican DW in May, not a huge deal for us, we get to go on a trip with all of our friends... awesome. They very openly actually got married like two months ago now in their home, posting pictures on facebook and #marriedlife and shit. I know PPD's are frowned on, but I'm in the camp where I understand there's lots of hoops to jump through for DW's and if you have a quiet ceremony right before, its not a huge deal to me. NOT THAT I WOULD EVER IN A MILLION YEARS DO IT MYSELF - I'm not an asshole, lol. This is just too much for me though, you're very, very openly married, yet still openly talking about your #perfect #dreamwedding #sophistication and talking about how expensive and #luxury it is. (She hashtags fricken everything.)

I was at a BBQ last week with my 3 y/o great dane and a couple friends had brought their puppies. One of the puppies peed on the floor and nobody noticed until somebody stepped in it, and then this GF of one of our buddies (that I don't like in the first place) tried blaming my dog for it. I shut that down right quick with a "no-fkn-way", like 1) if my dog peed on the floor, it would be the size of an area rug, not a piddle. and 2) my dog hasn't peed in the house since he was like 6 months old. Haha I was pretty annoyed with that, don't accuse my kid! 

Aaaaand that same GF also started talking some really petty mean-girl crap about one of my really close friends (who is the most adorable, nice little lady ever) right in front of me without realizing I could hear her... I didn't say a word but I sat there just fuming about how much I just hated this GF and hoped our buddy would break up with her already!

... and there's so much more but I already wrote a novel...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • One major side-eye this morning:

My coworker who's been off since last Wednesday rolled in 15 minutes late today. She then spent her first hour here compiling an email with a short story and about 25 pictures of the weekend getaway her boyfriend took her on while she was off work for her 30th birthday and sent it out to our team. Seriously? No one cares that much and half of us have already seen the same photos she posted on Facebook.
  • Bed Bath and Beyond. Just went and bought off of the registry (mentioned in an earlier side eye post) and the lady helping me get something said "remember we have the DIY gift wrap station after you buy it".  Errrrr DIY? What?? I buy at BBB for 2 reasons: 1. coupons and 2. You wrap for me. Lo and behold, after paying I'm pointed to the gift wrap area. The only bags are these ugly plastic things like you use to hide a bike for Christmas, no normal gift bags like they used to have. I'm a terrible wrapper so definitely not wrapping or using one of their boxes. I did snag some tissue paper and maybe I'll luck out and have some bags left at home from my wedding shower last year that will work
  • I've been side-eyeing one woman on Reddit so hard lately. She posted about having champagne and cake for the people travelling to Hawaii for her wedding and insists that she doesn't need to feed them because she didn't technically invite them and they are coming on their own. She found the super secret magic loophole, y'all! She also is having like 3 "weddings" and doesn't seem to be able to say no to people and is the kind of person who can't say no to a shower but wouldn't register because she doesn't need things and insists that it's so hard to say "no, thank you".

Every time she posts I just roll my eyes so far back into my skull that I may be going blind.
  • My sister, who has created yet another pity party gofundme page. It's her 3rd or 4th in the past 8 months. She doesn't want to work so is banking on people's sympathy for her anxiety to support herself. She has legit issues with anxiety and depression, but I feel there are better ways for her to get help that don't rely on strangers' money. Our parents are very willing to be supportive but she's embarrassed to ask them for help. Not sure how begging is less embarrassing but ok...

Note: the first 2 gofundme pages were for less serious things, like designer sunglasses for her blind BF since his were stolen, and one for his dying cat's vet bills. 
  • My sister, who has created yet another pity party gofundme page. It's her 3rd or 4th in the past 8 months. She doesn't want to work so is banking on people's sympathy for her anxiety to support herself. She has legit issues with anxiety and depression, but I feel there are better ways for her to get help that don't rely on strangers' money. Our parents are very willing to be supportive but she's embarrassed to ask them for help. Not sure how begging is less embarrassing but ok...

Note: the first 2 gofundme pages were for less serious things, like designer sunglasses for her blind BF since his were stolen, and one for his dying cat's vet bills. 

do people actually contribute to any of these?
  • I'm side-eyeing my sister who had a baby 2 weeks ago, and whines constantly on fb that she's so tired, and begs for help, but won't do the obvious things like make her husband clean or put her toddler back in daycare.  

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• kvruns said:
    My sister, who has created yet another pity party gofundme page. It's her 3rd or 4th in the past 8 months. She doesn't want to work so is banking on people's sympathy for her anxiety to support herself. She has legit issues with anxiety and depression, but I feel there are better ways for her to get help that don't rely on strangers' money. Our parents are very willing to be supportive but she's embarrassed to ask them for help. Not sure how begging is less embarrassing but ok...

do people actually contribute to any of these?
    I don't think anyone contributed to the sunglasses one but apparently the vet one helped them pay vet bills to have the cat put down. She shares them on Facebook so I guess some of their friends help? None of the family does. I think she'll get some contributions on this latest one. It's written in very woe is me style. She's banking on the internet's sympathy for mental illness. 
  • Can I do a pre-emptive side-eye?  We're having Easter lunch / dinner w my ILs on Sunday and I'm sure I'll side-eye FIL for saying something stupid and insensitive (especially if he finds out we're looking to adopt).
  • One of the mgrs. at my work is from Manitoba and his daughter is getting married. He keeps talking about the Wedding social and how great it is, and how people love it *eye roll*

• Can I do a pre-emptive side-eye?  We're having Easter lunch / dinner w my ILs on Sunday and I'm sure I'll side-eye FIL for saying something stupid and insensitive (especially if he finds out we're looking to adopt).
    May the Force be with you! 
    Pre-emptive side-eyes are always allowed for any family function, especially if it's in celebration of a holiday.

• I'm side-eyeing the shit out of everything today because I'm ornery from a horrible night's sleep last night.

Mostly I'm side-eyeing a junior member of my team who is taking advantage of the fact that the VP and Director are out today. She came in almost an hour late, then proceeded to chit chat for another hour with the other junior member of our team. Then came Personal Calls Time. And now she's chit chatting again, and apparently is leaving early this afternoon (without notifying me).

Meanwhile, I am on deadline and only get attitude from Said Junior Person when I delegate anything to her, which I suspect is because I am 12 years younger than she is.
  • A couple on this show last night called "Life or Debt". A financial planner comes and helps them straighten out, set a plan, etc. Well this couple.......oh man. 300k in debt, hasn't paid their mortgage in 2 years. The woman gets her nails and hair done biweekly, only wears designer clothes. The expert went through her closet and every pair of Loubitons were $1200, her LV bag she said was a great deal at "only" $800, her fur coat was about $2,500. Their Range Rover is $700 a month. They just got engaged with a $12k ring and are planning a $3k engagement party (nevermind the wedding itself).

And here's the kicker- between the 2 of them- they have 6 kids!!! I literally cannot fathom that anyone on Earth who has 6 kids would buy designer shoes INSTEAD of paying their housing and risking their kids being homeless.

So the expert set them up on this whole plan to sell their material items and save their home and file for chapter 13 for the rest. It was a solid plan. When he checked back in 3 months later- they had thrown the whole plan to hell, and RENTED a second home for $2,200 a month, and said "at least we can live here when they foreclose our house". Their house was $1200 a month and they weren't paying that....but they signed a lease for $2200?! WHAT?! What a freaking shitshow!!!!!

• jenna8984 said:

A couple on this show last night called "Life or Debt". A financial planner comes and helps them straighten out, set a plan, etc. Well this couple.......oh man. 300k in debt, hasn't paid their mortgage in 2 years. The woman gets her nails and hair done biweekly, only wears designer clothes. The expert went through her closet and every pair of Loubitons were $1200, her LV bag she said was a great deal at "only" $800, her fur coat was about $2,500. Their Range Rover is $700 a month. They just got engaged with a $12k ring and are planning a $3k engagement party (nevermind the wedding itself).

And here's the kicker- between the 2 of them- they have 6 kids!!! I literally cannot fathom that anyone on Earth who has 6 kids would buy designer shoes INSTEAD of paying their housing and risking their kids being homeless.

So the expert set them up on this whole plan to sell their material items and save their home and file for chapter 13 for the rest. It was a solid plan. When he checked back in 3 months later- they had thrown the whole plan to hell, and RENTED a second home for $2,200 a month, and said "at least we can live here when they foreclose our house". Their house was $1200 a month and they weren't paying that....but they signed a lease for $2200?! WHAT?! What a freaking shitshow!!!!!

Holy Shit. My jaw just hit the floor.

I wonder if they got paid to be on the show. And then what kind of unnecessary ridiculousness did they spend that money on.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards