Chit Chat

Are you ready for some FOOTBALL?

I'm pretty excited for football to start.     Bad news is I have to work tonight.  Good news is where I stand as a direct view to the TV's in the bar.  Being in CO obviously the Bronco's game will be one.

My Eagles play at 11 am on Sunday.  I'm going to have to set an alarm to remind me.  This is my 3rd football season here and I still can't get use to 11 am start times.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 

Re: Are you ready for some FOOTBALL?

• Yes!  But I'm a Lions fan, so without Megatron I'm more excited for my fantasy leagues.

Forgive me football, for I have sinned.
  • I'm pretty excited. We're Redskins fans so in recent years there hasn't been much to be TOO excited about. But I think there is some good momentum for this year and the team seems to really be working well together.

We live in NC so we also follow the Panthers. I'm interested to see what they do coming off their SB loss.

• I'm so excited. I'm nervous about half of our defense (the Bills) being out because of injury and the other half out because of failed drug tests, but I have a good feeling about Baltimore (sorry Ravens fans). Also, I get than Seantrel Henderson violated the substance abuse policy, but it was marijuana as prescribed for pain from surgery removing half of his intestine because of Crohn's. I hope his appeal succeeds.
  • I'm SO excited. For all the games (because of Fantasy Football), but especially for my Seahawks at 1:05pm on Sunday!

@lyndausvi I was super confused when you said 11am start time, then I remembered, duh, time zones. I love being on the west coast, because it means the first games start at 10am, and the night games are over by 8:30-9pm. I would hate to have to stay up until 11pm to finish watching a game!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm SO excited. For all the games (because of Fantasy Football), but especially for my Seahawks at 1:05pm on Sunday!

@lyndausvi I was super confused when you said 11am start time, then I remembered, duh, time zones. I love being on the west coast, because it means the first games start at 10am, and the night games are over by 8:30-9pm. I would hate to have to stay up until 11pm to finish watching a game!
    Ha.  The bonus of mountain time is the night games end earlier.    

When I was in the islands the first half of the season was on east coast time.  The 2nd half was an hour later because we didn't do daylight savings time (our TV feeds come from the east coast).   Games started at 2pm (which was fine).  Night games started at 9pm.   I rarely saw the end of those games.

The adjustment for me is more about drinking. Ha.  I enjoy a beer while watching Sunday afternoon games.   In islands, we would all get together right before the first game and start drinking.    I'm barely out of my pj's for 11 am Sunday games.  So, I normally start during the second games. 

NBD, but the Eagles have a way of causing their fans a lot of stress.  Especially in the 4th quarter of a game.  A drink helps calm my nerves.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I'm excited!  I'm a big Jets fan and DH lives for the Giants, but we both always rooted for each other's teams as long as they weren't playing each other.  Last week I came home with three little Jets shirts for the babies, and a couple of days ago DH brought home three baby Giants shirts   :o  may the rivalry begin! 

@madamerwin for the most part I'm happy to live on the east coast, but I hate 8:30pm start times for big sports events.  Unless it's the Superbowl I won't stay up til the end, since I go to bed around 9:30ish, but when the Mets were in the world series last year and the games were going to almost 12, I was exhausted the next day.
  • eileenrob said:
    I'm excited!  I'm a big Jets fan and DH lives for the Giants, but we both always rooted for each other's teams as long as they weren't playing each other.  Last week I came home with three little Jets shirts for the babies, and a couple of days ago DH brought home three baby Giants shirts   :o  may the rivalry begin! 

@madamerwin for the most part I'm happy to live on the east coast, but I hate 8:30pm start times for big sports events.  Unless it's the Superbowl I won't stay up til the end, since I go to bed around 9:30ish, but when the Mets were in the world series last year and the games were going to almost 12, I was exhausted the next day.
    Also an east coaster here who finds the 8:30 starts way too late. I do stay up way too late to watch them.

Also, your Jets are terrible. Love from a Bills fan.

(Slightly kidding, although I'm sure you could give some advice on having Rex Ryan as a coach).
  • My DH is a long suffering Jets' fan.   

We went shopping yesterday and he was disappointed he couldn't find a Jets hat.   We live in a small mountain town in Colorado.  The Jets suck.  Hardly a surprise.    

They had my Eagles though - ha.

• eileenrob said:
    I'm excited!  I'm a big Jets fan and DH lives for the Giants, but we both always rooted for each other's teams as long as they weren't playing each other.  Last week I came home with three little Jets shirts for the babies, and a couple of days ago DH brought home three baby Giants shirts   :o  may the rivalry begin! 

Also an east coaster here who finds the 8:30 starts way too late. I do stay up way too late to watch them.

(Slightly kidding, although I'm sure you could give some advice on having Rex Ryan as a coach).

HA!  Sorry, no advice to give.  I have sexy rexy on my fantasy team (I drafted the Bills' defense).
    When my dad is mad at the Jets (which is often) he declares that he's going to become a Bills fan, since they're technically the only NY team.  :D
  • eileenrob said:
    eileenrob said:

HA!  Sorry, no advice to give.  I have sexy rexy on my fantasy team (I drafted the Bills' defense).
    When my dad is mad at the Jets (which is often) he declares that he's going to become a Bills fan, since they're technically the only NY team.  :D
    When I lived in the city (with a massive Jets fan) used to say that all the time to drive her crazy.

I am pretty excited the first Bills home is the Thursday night game against the Jets. It's entirely possible the entire city of Buffalo will be hungover on Friday.
  • Not feeling so great about the Colts this season but I guess we will see. We will have the DirecTV NFL package this year (Sunday Ticket or whatever it is called) so H is happy he can get Bengals games. I am less happy about that because he's such a pain in the ass when he watches games because he gets so pissed at the dumbest stuff. Of course I've reminded him that his yelling antics will be over in November when the baby is here bc if his yelling wakes my sleeping baby there will be hell to pay.
  • Anybody keeping up with the Joey Bosa situation?

I understand why he held out, even though it's not something I would do.   Now he is injured.  IDK, there is something off with him.   

Maybe the Chargers shouldn't have agreed to his terms after all.    Hmmmm?

• I guess I'm excited for the Broncos, it's like yay go team, but hockey is more my game.  Rookie camp starts next week, so woooo!  
    Married 9.12.15
  • lyndausvi said:
    My DH is a long suffering Jets' fan.   

We went shopping yesterday and he was disappointed he couldn't find a Jets hat.   We live in a small mountain town in Colorado.  The Jets suck.  Hardly a surprise.    

My dad always says the only people who are Jets fans are people who couldn't get Giants tickets!  I have a friend who is a Jets fan and I love to make fun of her for it!

I'm an Eagles fan and I hope we do well, but I think we are still going to be suffering from Chip's disastrous turn as coach/GM.  I'm just glad they didn't keep him for his full contract and they fired him about 2 months after closing on a nice expensive Haddonfield home (I think you are familiar enough with the area Lynda).  While monetary wise - it probably isn't a big deal to him.  It really made me laugh!

• Yes, ma'am I'm excited!  Pro football is the only sport I watch, not even college.

Geaux Saints!  Who are off to their usual "awesome" start.  Zero wins in the pre-season (sigh).  There has been a contract extension to keep Brees on through next season (2017 season).  So that's good news.

Speaking of time differences, my sister (a huge Chargers fan) lives in CA.  Back in her wilder days, I remember her telling me she would sometimes have to set the alarm for Sunday morning if her Chargers were playing in one of the first games of the day.  Which start "bright and early"...at 10AM on the west coast, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited September 2016
    lyndausvi said:
    My DH is a long suffering Jets' fan.   

My dad always says the only people who are Jets fans are people who couldn't get Giants tickets!  I have a friend who is a Jets fan and I love to make fun of her for it!

I'm an Eagles fan and I hope we do well, but I think we are still going to be suffering from Chip's disastrous turn as coach/GM.  I'm just glad they didn't keep him for his full contract and they fired him about 2 months after closing on a nice expensive Haddonfield home (I think you are familiar enough with the area Lynda).  While monetary wise - it probably isn't a big deal to him.  It really made me laugh!

My dad is from Haddonfield  :)

It will be an interesting year.   Go Birds!

• edited September 2016
    Browns fan here, but still excited for the season to start! We have my work picnic on Sunday, but I'm guessing no one will object if we play the game on the radio.
  • Yes! And I LOVE the early am start times @lyndausvi . We usually play at 10 am here so I roll out of bed, do some shit around the house for an hour or two and then my game is on. I've become used to having beer with breakfast on Sundays. Except I'm 8 days into Whole 30 so no beer for me for the first few weeks. I also love that the last game is over by 8:30 pm here. 11:30 pm is past my bedtime. :)
  • Don't care about NFL, except for playoffs (I prefer CFL and hockey), but I'm a die hard Patriots fan since forever ago when I used to watch with my Dad on occasional weekends 

• edited September 2016
    eileenrob said:

FW is a Seahawks fan and to a lesser degree a Dolphins fan (she grew up in Miami, and FMIL dated a couple of the Dolphins players back in the 70s). We also root for each other's teams if they're not playing against each other. 

College football is a whole other matter . . .
  • Don't care about NFL, except for playoffs (I prefer CFL and hockey), but I'm a die hard Patriots fan since forever ago when I used to watch with my Dad on occasional weekends 

Fellow Albertan who loves the Patriots. However, being a Canadian, I'm a die hard CFL fan. Some years, we've gone to all the away games for my team.
  • ernursej said:
    Don't care about NFL, except for playoffs (I prefer CFL and hockey), but I'm a die hard Patriots fan since forever ago when I used to watch with my Dad on occasional weekends 

Fellow Albertan who loves the Patriots. However, being a Canadian, I'm a die hard CFL fan. Some years, we've gone to all the away games for my team.
    Damn, that's a lot of away games.  We don't get to many, but we do make the Labour Day rematch every year

• ernursej said:
    Don't care about NFL, except for playoffs (I prefer CFL and hockey), but I'm a die hard Patriots fan since forever ago when I used to watch with my Dad on occasional weekends 

Damn, that's a lot of away games.  We don't get to many, but we do make the Labour Day rematch every year
    It is, but so exciting. The rematch is fun. We are missing is this year as we will be away.
  • Well, all you Eagles fans should be happy . . .  ;)
  • Well, all you Eagles fans should be happy . . .  ;)
    yep!

I'm fucking pissed at ESPN Fantasy Football though.   They have been down all day.   WTF?   It's opening day and you only had one fucking job!

• In pissed. The Bills offense played terribly. No urgency at all. 
  • Holy hell Lions. You never make it easy but we will take 1-0.