Wedding Woes
Options

Week 4 thread

Re: Week 4 thread

• Options
    Heffalump said:
    Trump says he ‘inherited a mess,’ blasts media and detractors

Admit it, y'all.  All that health care and freedom to travel and overall competency were just holding us back.
    When are they going to bring out the hook to drag him away during one of these things?  He's becoming more and more unhinged. 
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:
    Heffalump said:

Admit it, y'all.  All that health care and freedom to travel and overall competency were just holding us back.
    When are they going to bring out the hook to drag him away during one of these things?  He's becoming more and more unhinged. 

• Options
    Oh my god, y'all.

Trump asks black reporter to "set up the meeting" with Congressional Black Caucus

It includes this gem:

Journalist April Ryan, who serves as the White House correspondent and Washington bureau chief for American Urban Radio Networks, followed up: “When you say the inner cities, are you going to include the CBC, Mr. President, in your conversations with your urban agenda?”

When Mr. Trump seemed unfamiliar with the “CBC” acronym, Ryan, who is black, clarified: “Are you going to include the Congressional Black Caucus -- “

The president interrupted: “Well I would. I’d tell you what -- do you want to set up the meeting?

“Do you want to set up the meeting?” the president pressed again. “Are they friends of yours?”

Ryan emphatically shook her head and said, “No, no, no, I’m just a reporter...I know some of them but --”

“No, get us -- set up the meeting,” he urged. “Let’s go, set up the meeting, I would love to meet with the black caucus - the Congressional Black caucus.”

• Options
    Heffalump said:
    Oh my god, y'all.

Trump asks black reporter to "set up the meeting" with Congressional Black Caucus

It includes this gem:

Journalist April Ryan, who serves as the White House correspondent and Washington bureau chief for American Urban Radio Networks, followed up: “When you say the inner cities, are you going to include the CBC, Mr. President, in your conversations with your urban agenda?”

When Mr. Trump seemed unfamiliar with the “CBC” acronym, Ryan, who is black, clarified: “Are you going to include the Congressional Black Caucus -- “

The president interrupted: “Well I would. I’d tell you what -- do you want to set up the meeting?

“Do you want to set up the meeting?” the president pressed again. “Are they friends of yours?”

Ryan emphatically shook her head and said, “No, no, no, I’m just a reporter...I know some of them but --”

“No, get us -- set up the meeting,” he urged. “Let’s go, set up the meeting, I would love to meet with the black caucus - the Congressional Black caucus.”

I'm looking forward to reading my twitter feed on my commute home. 
  • Options
    mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited February 2017
    Heffalump said:
    Oh my god, y'all.

It includes this gem:

I'm starting to believe more and more that Howard Stern is right...Trump is PISSED he actually got elected.  He just thought this was for shits and grins.    
  • Options
    Come on guys, all black people are from Detroit, Atlanta or Chicago and attended the same HBC so they're all friends.  Everyone knows this! </sarcasm>
  • Options
    Heffalump said:
    mrsconn23 said:
    Heffalump said:

I'm getting really frustrated with mainstream media. They just bold his ridiculous statements while he's speaking. They need to have a running script that automatically provides a fact check while he's spouting off lies. It's not like they take in depth investigative journalism. He repeatedly says the same things so they can have an idea of what they should prepare. They must know by now that every press conference will mainly be about him and how popular he is, and how smoothly everything is running, with a 30 second spiel at the end about the topic he was supposed to originally address. 

• Options
    i saw CBC and thought "Canadian Broadcasting Corporation" - the reporter should have been more clear with the initial question. (that doesn't excuse the nonsense that follows, just from a professional standpoint, the organization in question should have been referred to by name rather than acronym)
  • Options
    *Barbie* said:
    i saw CBC and thought "Canadian Broadcasting Corporation" - the reporter should have been more clear with the initial question. (that doesn't excuse the nonsense that follows, just from a professional standpoint, the organization in question should have been referred to by name rather than acronym)

In this context, though?  Canadian Broadcasting Company wouldn't really make sense here. 

“When you say the inner cities, are you going to include the CBC, Mr. President, in your conversations with your urban agenda?”
  • Options
    Heffalump said:
    *Barbie* said:

In this context, though?  Canadian Broadcasting Company wouldn't really make sense here. 

“When you say the inner cities, are you going to include the CBC, Mr. President, in your conversations with your urban agenda?”
    i admittedly didn't read the article, just the part that Conn included in her post - but that's part of why i was confused. I had to google Congressional Black Caucus - (i'm also not an elected official) - if it had mentioned previously in discussion then i'll retract my statement. Otherwise, I can still understand being confused if someone just threw an acronym at you in an interview. 
  • Options
    So last night a staffer for one of our Dem Senators came and spoke to our local Democratic Club.  One key takeaway for me was about the internal conflict Dems are having about cabinet positions, but especially about the SCOTUS nomination.  Basically, for the most part they believe this was a stolen nomination, but they're torn between "give em hell by any means necessary because that's what they did to you" and "what makes us better than them if we resort to the same stall tactics."  I can respect that.  

He also said though that the phone calls are completely working, and that people should also call when they're happy and to thank them when they do something you like.  He also said the calls to push for more contention and more stalling of the nominees is working and is what is pushing a lot of them towards giving hell when they're unsure.
  • Options
    So last night a staffer for one of our Dem Senators came and spoke to our local Democratic Club.  One key takeaway for me was about the internal conflict Dems are having about cabinet positions, but especially about the SCOTUS nomination.  Basically, for the most part they believe this was a stolen nomination, but they're torn between "give em hell by any means necessary because that's what they did to you" and "what makes us better than them if we resort to the same stall tactics."  I can respect that.  

He also said though that the phone calls are completely working, and that people should also call when they're happy and to thank them when they do something you like.  He also said the calls to push for more contention and more stalling of the nominees is working and is what is pushing a lot of them towards giving hell when they're unsure.
    I'm really torn on the SCOTUS thing, TBH. I liked the Garland pick and I think the Senate was wrong for not even giving him meetings, let alone a hearing, or a vote. It's the first time in history a SCOTUS nominee didn't even have a hearing. 

But, I also don't think the Dems trying to block this nominee is good either; Gorsuch would likely pass, he is pretty well respected, and an accurate replacement for Scalia, so it's not like he changes the direction of the Court. And potentially having another term with 8 Justices isn't great either. 
  • Options
    @varunatt I hear you and respect you, and like the Senator I posted about, am still torn.

Here's why:  to @charlotte989875's point, Gorsuch is Scalia.  It doesn't change the balance of the court.  But what happens if we push, and the GOP calls in the nuclear option and Trump gets a second nominee?  I am far more worried about that scenario than I am about Gorsuch alone.  I think our resistance needs to be strategic.  I think Gorsuch should have to endure all of the hours of meetings and hearings that Garland was refused plus his own.  I think we should scrutinize each nominee up and down.  But I think we're short a majority and need to be cognizant of that and not cut off our nose to spite our face in the name of resistance.

Here in Michigan, there is a group fighting to pass a law that prohibits discrimination based on sexual identity and gender identity.  A single Trump court nominee won't change the courts response to a lawsuit challenging such a law.  A second could.
  • Options
    VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited February 2017
    This is also a false equivalency in my mind.  To me, this isn't "behaving like they did."  Republicans behaved the way they did because of racism, bigotry, and supporting class inequity.  This is drawing the line.  We can't actually stop any of it, so what does it cost us to resist at all costs.  Literally nothing.  Not a damn thing.  Nothing.  So the message needs to be sent that the people represented (supposedly) by Democrats are not going to go away or quietly back into our closets or the back of the bus or back into the kitch or where ever it is we're supposed to make Republican cis-het white males more comfortable in their lanes.
  • Options
    levioosa said:
    I'm glad you're far from that dam mess (see what I did there?!).

I saw this earlier....real question - can he even do that?
  • Options
    levioosa said:
    I'm glad you're far from that dam mess (see what I did there?!).

I saw this earlier....real question - can he even do that?
    I want to say no, but apparently rules don't apply to this administration. I've seen a lot about it being a distraction technique from looking into the Russia scandal, and that is probably true. Bannon isn't stupid, even though trump is an unholy ranting mess. 

• Options
    I can't believe we've had 4 weeks of multi-page posts.  

I'm glad we're doing this, but it's truly mind-bottling. 
  • Options
    VarunaTT said:
    Something just flew through my FB feed, saying that Spicy came out and said this was false.  

Not that that means it isn't true.  :D

"alternative facts" making my head hurt since 2017.
    Considering how little Pence knew about Flynn there's a good chance Spicey is on the outs of this communication too.
  • Options
    VarunaTT said:
    Something just flew through my FB feed, saying that Spicy came out and said this was false.  

Not that that means it isn't true.  :D

"alternative facts" making my head hurt since 2017.
    Considering how little Pence knew about Flynn there's a good chance Spicey is on the outs of this communication too.
    Spicer did deny it and said it was 100% false...which means there's probably an inkling of truth to it.  
  • Options

If you want to have some fun.  This link is a poll on how much we can trust the media.  It is poorly written and one question I had to re-read so many times it was making my head hurt!

https://gop.com/mainstream-media-accountability-survey/

Downside is that you need to put your full name and email.  They will also then solicit you for a donation to TP's re-election (hork), but you can ignore that part.

• Options
    edited February 2017

If you want to have some fun.  This link is a poll on how much we can trust the media.  It is poorly written and one question I had to re-read so many times it was making my head hurt!

Downside is that you need to put your full name and email.  They will also then solicit you for a donation to TP's re-election (hork), but you can ignore that part.

And this is why I have a junk email address that I never even check!

ETA:  what misleading questions - do you trust Fox/CNN/MSNBC to report the news fairly?  Define fairly.
  • Options

ETA:  what misleading questions - do you trust Fox/CNN/MSNBC to report the news fairly?  Define fairly.
    They clearly didn't ask a social scientist to design the questions. 
  • Options

They clearly didn't ask a social scientist to design the questions. 
    I responded with "Other:  I think the news should be factual not fair."