Wedding Etiquette Forum

Do you find the bouquet toss offensive?

Re: Do you find the bouquet toss offensive?

• I see all the time where people are asked not to resurrect zombie threads. I don't see what CMGragain did wrong here. The person she said it to has been a member for 8 years and should very well know better. As for being told to search the boards, I've never seen anyone told that here although it's super common on the bump. 
  • Compared to what the boards used to be, we're downright rainbows and puppies now. I also think that the same people who are going to be all "it's my day and I don't care what you think!" are the same people who are going to be that way regardless of delivery from posters here. 

• levioosa said:

Compared to what the boards used to be, we're downright rainbows and puppies now. I also think that the same people who are going to be all "it's my day and I don't care what you think!" are the same people who are going to be that way regardless of delivery from posters here. 

Maybe so, but I think some of us (I'm among them) could still stand to be more tactful. Personally, I need to be more careful about posting when I'm in a bad mood about something else, because I'll take my irritation out on the third person in as many days who tries to justify their PPD. 

• Can I just say I'm really over the "special snowflake" thing? I get what they're trying to say, and I agree that "your situation is not different such that it warrants bad etiquette", but I hear it used in so many political type situations by right wing pundits to single out people who have the audacity to, you know, want health insurance, or not experience undue police violence, that the phrase just really makes my skin crawl. I can't be alone here?

Word. I'm over it too.
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its

Can I just say I'm really over the "special snowflake" thing? I get what they're trying to say, and I agree that "your situation is not different such that it warrants bad etiquette", but I hear it used in so many political type situations by right wing pundits to single out people who have the audacity to, you know, want health insurance, or not experience undue police violence, that the phrase just really makes my skin crawl. I can't be alone here?

Word. I'm over it too.

When I heard pundits (and subsequently, obnoxious Facebook commenters) using it, I was like "hey! That's a Knot phrase! Annnd you're misspelling special!" (Since we say speshul  :D)
  • DD told me that "special snowflake" is no longer politically correct, and has racist overtones, but she couldn't explain why.  Anybody know what she means?

If "special snowflake" is out, what do we use instead for people who think the rules do not apply to them?
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its

CMGragain said:

DD told me that "special snowflake" is no longer politically correct, and has racist overtones, but she couldn't explain why.  Anybody know what she means?

If "special snowflake" is out, what do we use instead for people who think the rules do not apply to them?

People who think the rules do not apply to them.
  • Aw.  That's no fun!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg

• CMGragain said:

DD told me that "special snowflake" is no longer politically correct, and has racist overtones, but she couldn't explain why.  Anybody know what she means?

Hmm, try googling the Tomi Lahren "You might be a snowflake if" video. I don't want to look it up and link to it, but it's basically a extreme right wing way to insult people for politically correct beliefs. Like, someone is a snowflake because they're offended by a racist slur. They might say something along hte lines of "oh this special snowflake needs a safe space". 

I honestly never liked the phrase or found it cute

• CMGragain said:

Special snowflake has been used to denigrate people who need accommodations and safe spaces on college campuses saying they "can't handle" controversial or uncomfortable information or material. It had also been used toward people who have been critical of the Trump administration especially people who protested or have spoken out about policies affecting women, immigrants, and people of color. Generally it's been used to put down people who are speaking out against social, racial, political injustices. 

• CMGragain said:

Special snowflake has been used to denigrate people who need accommodations and safe spaces on college campuses saying they "can't handle" controversial or uncomfortable information or material. It had also been used toward people who have been critical of the Trump administration especially people who protested or have spoken out about policies affecting women, immigrants, and people of color. Generally it's been used to put down people who are speaking out against social, racial, political injustices. 

I see it all the time up here in Canada, used by conservatives to insult/describe liberals. As you mentioned, usually in reference to safe spaces, political correctness, and "hippies/tree-huggers" or "Millenials".

It definitely carries a more political connotation than it used to.  I don't know about racist, but it's definitely been adopted by the far right, so I guess it *could* have racist overtones in that regard. 
  • MobKazMobKaz member

CMGragain said:

It's been used for many years, and certainly long before the current election.  @CMGragain , I do not know the full explanation, but I was told once that this term was actually used during WW2 in some way in regards to the genocide in the concentration camps.
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    The first time I heard the term "special snowflake" was in the Etiquette Hell forum. I know that there has been some crossover between that forum and this one.

• CMGragain said:

I see it all the time up here in Canada, used by conservatives to insult/describe liberals. As you mentioned, usually in reference to safe spaces, political correctness, and "hippies/tree-huggers" or "Millenials".

It definitely carries a more political connotation than it used to.  I don't know about racist, but it's definitely been adopted by the far right, so I guess it *could* have racist overtones in that regard. 

Usually by the heavy conservatives.

I think some people are thinking it's another word for someone who is disabled also.
  • If someone has something to say that can help someone why does it matter how old a thread is? if it can't help the OP maybe it can help someone else. Ever think maybe the problem isn't me digging up old threads but that you are getting so annoyed easily by it. WHO GIVES A HOOT? If I see something I don't like, I move on with my life. I don't call people out on it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• If someone has something to say that can help someone why does it matter how old a thread is? if it can't help the OP maybe it can help someone else. Ever think maybe the problem isn't me digging up old threads but that you are getting so annoyed easily by it. WHO GIVES A HOOT? If I see something I don't like, I move on with my life. I don't call people out on it.

People have varying tolerance. For some, anything a month old is "too old" and for others, they don't care if a year old thread gets resurrected. But there are actual community guidelines on this, like how old a thread is before it is officially considered "zombie" and gets closed. If TK could get their tech shit together and just auto-close things that reached zombie status, this wouldn't even be a discussion. But alas....

To reply to your question though, we post all the time for lurkers - you're right. But relevance matters too. If someone has an opinion on something they see from ages ago, start a new, fresh discussion. That way, people aren't responding with advice for people who are long married or quoting people who aren't here anymore.

That's what I'll go by if I feel like I have good advice for an older post.  Is the poster still active?  If so and the thread isn't months old, I'll post.  Even if I'm "late to the party".  But, if it's a poster I don't recognize/doesn't look like they've been on TK recently, I won't bother.

I personally don't care that much about zombie threads, as long as the user bringing it up is legit.  But I find zombie threads are often brought up by vendor scammers who use the most gossamer of threads to relate their product to the original post.  And then have a link or two in their post somewhere.  It's really just comical.  (I realize you don't fall into that category, @OwningAHome1981).  

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    edited June 2017

If someone has something to say that can help someone why does it matter how old a thread is? if it can't help the OP maybe it can help someone else. Ever think maybe the problem isn't me digging up old threads but that you are getting so annoyed easily by it. WHO GIVES A HOOT? If I see something I don't like, I move on with my life. I don't call people out on it.

No one called you out.  I politely asked you to stop resurrecting zombie threads.  You responded with hostility.  I was trying to help you fit in here.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg