Nevada-Las Vegas

Beware of Masterpiece Cuisine

I hope that you brides do not have the same contact that I have had with this extremely rude and excessively unprofessional company. I contacted them in middle December for a quote only and they sent one to me. I had to ask them twice to send it to me, and when they did, they followed up as they should have - but entering into the holidays. I was busy, and almost a month exactly later I re sent him an email to apologize for not emailing him back sooner, but that the holidays were very busy. I then informed him that my gust list had risen from 60 to 100, and told him that I was interested in a few other selections on his menu. I asked him to revise the quote he had orignally sent me, and he proceeded to tell me that he could not revise my quote without a 50% deposit. Fifty percent deposit. For a revised quote. Seriously? I told him that there was no way that I was paying to revise a quote - Why on earth would I pay a down payment only to see a quote or menu I wasn't comfortable with??? His reasoning being that the 50% deposit was to "validate his time to create the quote."

I have posted the emails below, see for yourself. I had read wonderful reviews on  the company, but it's a true testiment that you can't trust online reviews that can easily be altered. I advise to anyone who is thinking of using Masterpiece Cuisine to reconsider. Their subtlely sarcastic "nice manner" is an insult disguised under blankets of "thank yous" and "best of lucks"

I have worked in restaurants for over 10 years, and I have NEVER come across someone  who was so quick to throw away business. How they stay in business is a mystery to me.

Wed, January 26, 2011 9:24:12 AM
Revised Proposal
Scott Mahan <Scott@masterpiececuisine.com>
View Contact
To:Sarah

Hi Sarah,

There was not totally a miscommunication actually.  The proposal hold date is just the date to which we will honor that quote you have been given.  In other words it’s the point at which we assume you have gone in a different direction.  I think at this point your best bet would be to find a different caterer.  We appreciate your interest in our company, but we will have to pass on sending another proposal.  Thanks again and best of luck!

Sent: Monday, January 24, 2011 2:37 PM
To: Scott Mahan
Subject: Re: Masterpiece Cuisine Proposal for 10/1/11

Scott,

Well there's the miscommunication. I am not asking you to hold a date. I never did - I simply want to know how much you would charge me for your services based on the changes I made. If it isn't too much of a hassle on your time to provide only a quote without holding a date, I would greatly appreciate it. As for not hearing from me for a while after first contacting you, I most sincerely apologize. If I had realized you had held that date, I would have immediately told you to release it until I had made a decision. The holidays, as I'm sure they were for you as well, were a very busy travel time for me.

Regards,

Sarah

To: Sarah
Sent: Mon, January 24, 2011 4:56:06 PM
Subject: RE: Masterpiece Cuisine Proposal for 10/1/11

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for the email!  The 50% deposit is not the charge for a revised proposal.  The 50% is to validate our time.  That is the whole purpose for a hold date.  If I send you a proposal like we did back in December and the communication is lost for over a month and no decision is made, what’s to stop that same situation from occurring after I make the next revision?  It’s impossible for me to know who will end up going with us, so if we did not have a hold date we would constantly be wasting our time and not even knowing it.  Again this isn’t personal, it’s just a system we use that we believe works well.

As for the reviews, how you view their worth is completely up to you.  If you do not feel what we have provided is adequate to choose us as your caterer then that is your decision to make.  I wish you the best of luck in your search for a caterer!

Sent: Monday, January 24, 2011 1:18 PM

Scott,

Thank you for your reply. Even though it is a steep price, I can validate your reasons for it.

As for your "50% deposit for a revised proposal" - forgive me, but I can't help but laugh. I can't imagine anyone paying a 50% deposit for a quote on a catering company for a reunion without having met you, tasted your food OR seeing your production. I will absolutely not pay a fee for you to revise a quote. There are tons of other caterers in Las Vegas who I have gotten revised quotes from who aren't trying to charge me a fee.

I have read your reviews, and they are wonderful, but it's not that hard to keep your online reviews clean with a little money and know how. I would love to use you, but I just cannot justify paying you to revise a quote. If you change your mind, please let me know. I will be in Vegas for a convention on March 3rd.

Regards,

Sarah

Sent: Mon, January 17, 2011 7:41:32 PM

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for the email!  Our tastings include up to 4 people and yes they are VERY pricey.  Here’s why:

1.       We are not an operating restaurant.  We are strictly an off premise caterer.  So this means that the costs for a tasting are not already accounted for.  Staff must be called in and food must be purchased, so otherwise we would be coming out of pocket.

2.       We are a small business and extremely busy.  Since we are a very active small business, and our staff does not have a lot of time to spare, we need to make sure our time is spent efficiently.  Before we started charging for tastings, we had a successful booking rate of 25%.  Since implementing the fee it is nearly 100%.  This has allowed us to avoid window shoppers.  I am by  no means implying that you are one, I know that you are seriously considering us but this is a policy that has worked very well for our business so that is why we continue to use it.

3.       Finally we believe our reviews speak for themselves.  As the highest rated caterer on the internet in Las Vegas, we believe that this speaks volumes to the level of performance our company is capable of.

So when you say you would be losing 15% of your money budgeted towards the Wedding, that is exactly how we look at it.  We would be coming out of pocket for something that is not guaranteed profit.

Also we cannot officially revise the proposal until we have a 50% deposit.  Since your guest count is going from 60 to 100, you would actually benefit from this policy.  You could make the deposit on the original proposal.  Once we have that, we can revise the proposal as many times as need be.

Sent: Monday, January 17, 2011 12:47 PM

Hi Scott!

It's been a busy holidays and an even more busy beginning  to this year! :)

I have absolutely reviewed your online reviews, it is the reason alone that I contacted you. There is nothing better than a well known and respected company.

I'm sorry that I haven't been able to respond to your last email efficiently. I would absolutely have to taste the food before I have it served at the event, but I have never heard of someone charging $150  to taste it. No offense, and I'm sure your food is exquisite but that's a pretty steep price. Thinking of it percentage wise, I would be losing 15% of what I would be budgeting for your catering cost. Is it a tasting that includes ALL of the food that you offer? Is that just for one person or double?

The quote you sent before is obviously not valid anymore as it states on the bottom of the page of the quote. I roughly said there would be 60 people, but I would like you to give me a quote on 100 now. Also, are the plates and napkins and such an extra cost? If so, I would like for the newer quote to have that taken off.

I had a chance to re-look at your menu. You provided the following foods for the quote: Sushi Odori Platter, Caesar salad, Penne Marinara, Fettucine Alfredo, Sauteed Garlic Chicken, Classic Beef Meatballs and Garlic bread

I would like to keep the sushi odori platter, and the caesar salad, but I like a couple other options more than the ones you provided. The potato crusted tilapia sounds very interesting - how do you do that? Is potato chips or how do you do that? I also like the pork medallions and the pasta bolognese and the penne vodka. Not sure how many you include in each quote, or how that works. Let me know! Thanks :)

Oh, and I changed it to Friday October 7th. I have heard that Fridays are also a cheaper date for catering?

Thank you!

Sarah

Sent: Mon, December 13, 2010 7:29:09 PM

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for the email!  The hold date for your event is December 31, 2010. If you don’t confirm your event by then we have to release the date. Once we release the date we cannot guarantee our availability and pricing is subject to change. We offer tastings for a flat $150 fee and we schedule them Mon-Thurs. Please let me know if you have any more questions. Have you had a chance to look at our online reviews on our food?

www.weddingwire.com/reviews/masterpiece-cuisine-las-vegas/dfb915429798e3e3.html" target="_blank">http://www.weddingwire.com/reviews/masterpiece-cuisine-las-vegas/dfb915429798e3e3.html

Sent: Monday, December 13, 2010 11:42 AM

Hello!

Thank you SO much for sending me the information on your catering. The spread looks great and the price looks great too. I would obviously have to come taste it, but it's not going to be until next year (prolly around February) as I am in Orlando, FL.

Sent: Mon, December 13, 2010 1:56:35 PM

Hi Sarah,

Just touching base on the proposal we sent you.  I tried calling the number you gave me but I think that I wrote it down because it was a business that had no record of you.  Are you available to speak today?

Sent: Wednesday, December 08, 2010 11:13 AM
To: 'Sarah

Hi Sarah,

Just following up on the proposal we sent you!  What did you think?

Sent: Tuesday, December 07, 2010 10:11 AM
To: 'Sarah
Subject: Masterpiece Cuisine Proposal for 10/1/11

Hi Sarah,

Thank you for the opportunity to submit a proposal for your event. We want to Inspire you! Please let us know if you have any questions, would like to make any changes, or would like to confirm. Our proposals are always flexible to fit your specific needs and your vision.

Feel confident…  Your event will be a success!

Masterpiece Cuisine is proud to be the Top Rated Caterer in Las Vegas Please visit our unbiased online reviews at http://www.weddingwire.com/reviews/masterpiece-cuisine-las-vegas/dfb915429798e3e3.html.

We host every event with the same can-do attitude. We love what we do and it shows.

Also visit us online at www.masterpiececuisine.com/menu.pdf" target="_blank">www.MasterpieceCuisine.com/menu.pdf  for more menu ideas.

Bon appétit

Re: Beware of Masterpiece Cuisine

• aegrishaegrish member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_beware-of-masterpiece-cuisine?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:91Discussion:45ffaf7f-6a7d-4eeb-b6cf-00f5bd51ec28Post:7ff4b22e-abb8-496b-9f88-b634365f6da3">Re: Beware of Masterpiece Cuisine</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm sorry for the extra text, I have cleaned it up. And you find their process reasonable? <strong>You are comfortable with blindly paying a 50% deposit on food you haven't seen or tasted, and putting your faith in a company or person you have not met?</strong> And when he clearly stated that the 50% deposit was not for holding the date, but for "validating his time"??? I am really trying to see your point, but your statement is completely irrational.
    Posted by MrsPennstdoc[/QUOTE]

If they have great reviews and come highly recommended (as Masterpiece is) YES I am happy to put down a 50% deposit highly recommended vendors.  And if you're not local, unless you do a scouting trip you pretty much have no choice but to go on reviews and recommendations.  While the tasting fee does seem pricey, I also understand their reasoning.   It still takes time and staff to bring the tasting to you, and it seems unecessary in most cases to even have one.  Most brides on here booked them w/out tasting I believe, and I woul do the same.
  • aegrishaegrish member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    was it really necessary to paste every email you had with them?  I would revise your post and if you have a review (good or bad) just make it a brief explanantion.  This is too much.
  • edited December 2011
    Well I am sorry you had a bad experience with them. BUT. I had no issues and yes unfortunately they do require the 50% to give you your date because of the fact that if you change your mind they have already lost business.

Also....I have always said that not every vendor is for every bride.
    2011-2012 Races
    10/29/11 LA RockNRoll Min Half (5K) 42:58
    12/4/11 Vegas RockNRoll Half 3:14:53
    1/7/12 WDW Half 3:13:42
    1/15/12 RnR AZ 2:55:27 (PR!!)
    1/29/12 Tinkerbell 1/2 3:22:37 (To many picture stops!lol)
    Me:32 DH:33
    IFV w/ DE Only Option (On Hold For Now)
  • MrsPennstdocMrsPennstdoc member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you for your post. As this is the wonderful country of the United States, you are entitled to your opinion, as I am entitled to mine. I would like anyone who is considering this company to have these at their leisure to read. You are not obliged to read it, much less the whole thing. If I have inadvertently offended you in some way, it certainly wasn't my intent, but I will not revise my post.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That's a good point Stinkerbell! I would absolutely agree! However, I was not asking them to hold a date. I was asking them for a quote only
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_beware-of-masterpiece-cuisine?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:91Discussion:45ffaf7f-6a7d-4eeb-b6cf-00f5bd51ec28Post:2d104963-d3fc-4dea-a44d-06bbf6214c6b">Re: Beware of Masterpiece Cuisine</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thank you for your post. As this is the wonderful country of the United States, you are entitled to your opinion, as I am entitled to mine. I would like anyone who is considering this company to have these at their leisure to read. You are not obliged to read it, much less the whole thing. If I have inadvertently offended you in some way, it certainly wasn't my intent, but<strong> I will not revise my post.
    </strong>Posted by MrsPennstdoc[/QUOTE]

She was telling you because it looks funky and people can't/won't read because it is too hard to figure out.
    2011-2012 Races
  • edited December 2011
    I found it interesting to read the emails, but there is a lot of extra text and formatting issues. Maybe you can fix that?

I didn't find it rude so much as condescending. It would have been nice if he had told you up front that there is a fee to "hold the date" and the tasting fee.  There was a month in between his email on 12/13/10 and yours on 01/17/11, I do see where is coming from on that end.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • aegrishaegrish member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_beware-of-masterpiece-cuisine?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:91Discussion:45ffaf7f-6a7d-4eeb-b6cf-00f5bd51ec28Post:2d104963-d3fc-4dea-a44d-06bbf6214c6b">Re: Beware of Masterpiece Cuisine</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thank you for your post. As this is the wonderful country of the United States, you are entitled to your opinion, as I am entitled to mine. <strong>I would like anyone who is considering this company to have these at their leisure to read.</strong> You are not obliged to read it, much less the whole thing. If I have inadvertently offended you in some way, it certainly wasn't my intent, but I will not revise my post.

yes they are very difficult to read please consider condensing them so they are formatted better, or copying and pasting lines from them.  I really don't think it's necessary to paste every single email to tell your story/review.

And I'm not sure why you're upset at the caterer.  Their requests and processes seem reasonable.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I most certainly see where he would be worried that I didn't reply in between for a month. I apologized for that fact, and explained my reasoning. And I even apologized for him holding the date when I absolutely did not ask him to hold the date.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm sorry for the extra text, I have cleaned it up.

And you find their process reasonable? You are comfortable with blindly paying a 50% deposit on food you haven't seen or tasted, and putting your faith in a company or person you have not met? And when he clearly stated that the 50% deposit was not for holding the date, but for "validating his time"??? I am really trying to see your point, but your statement is completely irrational.
  • smokeybaileysmokeybailey member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Did you really use the non-word "prolly" in your communication? 
    Bi-oh-rama
    Now with more wedded bliss.

I don't get married often, but when I do, I do it in Las Vegas.

"Lvharpy could be your AE." - direy25
    "smokeybailey is the one shining beacon of light in this steaming turd of a thread." - daffodil_jill
    "The almighty smokeybailey has spoken." - some bitch on the Las Vegas board

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_beware-of-masterpiece-cuisine?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:91Discussion:45ffaf7f-6a7d-4eeb-b6cf-00f5bd51ec28Post:7ff4b22e-abb8-496b-9f88-b634365f6da3">Re: Beware of Masterpiece Cuisine</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm sorry for the extra text, I have cleaned it up. And you find their process reasonable? You are comfortable with blindly <strong>paying a 50% deposit on food you haven't seen or tasted,</strong> and putting your faith in a company or person you have not met? And when he clearly stated that the 50% deposit was not for holding the date, but for "validating his time"??? I am really trying to see your point, but your statement is completely irrational.

Most of them do require this so that they have you booked and so that they don't give the date away He also had told me it was refunded if we changed our minds. (I can't remember the cut off)

ETA: Also....as most DW brides will tell you need to remember unless you plan on going out there A LOT there are many things that you have to do "blindly".  I know food is not one that you want to risk but if you are using a catering company it can be hard to nail down a time to taste.
    2011-2012 Races
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Did you really just sit down and read my entire post only to deride the fact that I used "prolly" in one of my emails? I'm curious, do you really care so much about these boards that you are trying to save the ladies at The Knot from my grammatical choices or do you simply have nothing better to do with your time? My guess is the latter. This post was meant for women who are researching their choice in caterers in Las Vegas, not invidious women such as yourself.
  • aegrishaegrish member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    [QUOTE]I'm sorry for the extra text, I have cleaned it up. And you find their process reasonable? <strong>You are comfortable with blindly paying a 50% deposit on food you haven't seen or tasted, and putting your faith in a company or person you have not met?</strong> And when he clearly stated that the 50% deposit was not for holding the date, but for "validating his time"??? I am really trying to see your point, but your statement is completely irrational.

If they have great reviews and come highly recommended (as Masterpiece is) YES I am happy to put down a 50% deposit highly recommended vendors.  And if you're not local, unless you do a scouting trip you pretty much have no choice but to go on reviews and recommendations.  While the tasting fee does seem pricey, I also understand their reasoning.   It still takes time and staff to bring the tasting to you, and it seems unecessary in most cases to even have one.  Most brides on here booked them w/out tasting I believe, and I woul do the same.

No way do I see your irratic emails as a 'testiment' to the quality of Masterpiece's catering.  I think they are prolly lucky you chose not to go with them.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Very good thoughts :) Thank you for your response, had I known the deposit would have been refunded, it may have led me to make a different decision. I realize that being far away puts me at a disadvantage, but I have set aside a time that I will be out there to try the food.
  • edited December 2011

Masterpiece has to be one of the most professional vendors I have dealt with so far! In fact the same day I emailed them I emailed two other caterers and 2 weeks later I still haven't heard back from the other two!

I also have read enough reviews on the Knot to know that they seem to deliver above and beyond every time they cater an evernt. You are actually the first person I have ever heard complain about them. So I absolutely had no problems paying a 50% deposit (100% is refunded if you cancel six months out).

Also at the bottom of the first page of each proposal it states how long that proposal is valid for so clearly if you don't put a deposit down by that time you will lose your booking.

As a pp states not every bride gets along with every vendor, so good luck planning I hope you have better luck than me getting someone to respond back to you!!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well I haven't gone through every single review on them, but from what I had heard they were good, which was why I pursued them. He made no attempt to let me know that any of it was refundable. I realized that the quote was valid for only a certain period of time, but as I have stated before my problem is not with the length the quote was valid, it was with the fact that after he had provided me with a quote he required a 50% deposit to revise the quote. It is condescending, as if he feels that my event is not worth his time without seeing the money. Businesses are not run effectively this way. Had he informed me that my deposit was refundable if I didn't like the quote, you all would likely not be chatting back and forth with me on this post. As for me being the first to post something bad about them, not everyone chooses to blog about their experiences with others publicly.

I realize that not every vendor is for every bride, and I have many other quotes from different vendors. I've never had to wait two weeks for a quote before though - that stinks! Good luck to you as well!
  • smokeybaileysmokeybailey member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_beware-of-masterpiece-cuisine?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:45ffaf7f-6a7d-4eeb-b6cf-00f5bd51ec28Post:20a1b83a-96a5-4dfb-ab4a-8dcaf4f0a743">Re: Beware of Masterpiece Cuisine</a>:
    [QUOTE]Did you really just sit down and read my entire post only to deride the fact that I used "prolly" in one of my emails? I'm curious, do you really care so much about these boards that you are trying to save the ladies at The Knot from my grammatical choices or do you simply have nothing better to do with your time? My guess is the latter. This post was meant for women who are researching their choice in caterers in Las Vegas, not invidious women such as yourself.

I actually read your entire post but I was stuck on that because it makes me consider the professionalism of the entire exchange.  I am not trying to save anyone.  However, I would caution you that people will take you more seriously if you use proper grammar when engaging in business transactions.  It can only serve to help you.

Their policy is a 50% deposit before they do any more work for you.  That's it.  Good, bad, or indifferent.  I can't really comment on whether that is right or wrong. 

But poor grammar and/or word choice?  I can totally comment upon that.
    Bi-oh-rama
    Now with more wedded bliss.

I don't get married often, but when I do, I do it in Las Vegas.

"Lvharpy could be your AE." - direy25
    "smokeybailey is the one shining beacon of light in this steaming turd of a thread." - daffodil_jill
    "The almighty smokeybailey has spoken." - some bitch on the Las Vegas board

• aegrishaegrish member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    OP what does invidious mean?  Why use silly words to try and make yourself sound smarter and better than everyone.  It doesn't work.

And I agree with SmokeyBaily, but poor Grammar or not, I would not want to work with a customer that waits a month to get back to me on their initial quote,  and only to rant about policies and procedures in place, that are followed by every other customer.   
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If I were a business, trying to acquire a client, it would absolutely serve me best to use proper grammar. However, he was on the business end, trying to acquire me as his client. If you were to run a business, and read a grammatical abbreviation or slang in an email as harmless as "prolly" and you chose not to accept me as your client for a job in which my grammar is not important - you would be out of business pretty quickly.

You are absolutely allowed to comment on my "poor grammar and/or word choice." You reasoning, is not justified, it is catty. Or if that "word choice" doesn't work for you, some synonyms are malicious, spiteful, mean or nasty to name a few.
  • aegrishaegrish member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Gurl u is not reading things right. 

Smokey said nothing about them not taking your business because of your grammar, she said they may not take you as seriously, and it would benefit you to use proper grammar when working with a vendor, which is understandable.  Treat people as you want to be treated- whether you are the client or vendor shouldn't matter in terms of grammar and professionalism in correspondence.

First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Policies are fine, policies that make sense are not. I would hardly call my post ranting and raving. It is certainly laughable to me that you are commenting on my poor grammar. Many of your posts are riddled with mistakes. It is MY OPINION that a catering company should not ask you for a 50% deposit for their time in developing a quote. It is bad business.

I am sorry if you feel my words are too smart for you. Should I consider to use any large or hard words later on down the road, I will take your feelings into consideration.
  • aegrishaegrish member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    They gave you a quote without a deposit, did they not? 

I didn't comment on your grammar in posts so don't comment on mine.  I commented on your grammar in what should be considered a professional email to a vendor. 

And that word isn't to "smart" for me, it's uncommon.  I have never heard it before.  Just because a person isn't familiar with a term or word doesn't make it to smart for them. 
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes, they did indeed, but after changing my amount of people I had to invite, they required 50% deposit to revise the quote. Do you think it's fair they require 50% of the deposit for a few minutes of their time WITHOUT saving a date? Honestly, do you really believe it's fair or are you just trying to bicker?

You said that I was using big words to seem "smarter" and that it "wasn't working"
    That is what led me to believe that it was "too smart" for you. Your words. I certainly didn't mean to impune your intelligence, I was responding to your words, in your post
  • aerinpegadrakaerinpegadrak member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I didn't have any problems with MC at all.  I was a little hesitant about the 50% deposit (which was addressed on my first inquiry phone call), but he said it could be fully refunded up to 30 days out, so I wasn't worried.  I actually had a problem making the deposit by the deadline, but I contacted him and he agreed to break it up into a couple of smaller payments until I got my cash flow sorted out (since I'd just started a new job).  I don't recall being charged a tasting fee, but they might have changed that policy since we had our tasting.  (At that time they only did M-W catering, we had to set up a Thursday by special request.)

Honestly, reading the record here Scott was totally professional, while you were very much not.  Methinks your negotiating skills need work.  If you don't like doing things "blindly," a DW probably isn't for you.  We didn't see our venue in person until the day before the wedding, but I certainly didn't come in pitching a fit. 
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The only thing I could agree that was "unprofessional" was my use of the word prolly. You are quite the dare devil to not see your venue in person until the day before the wedding. I wasn't negotiating at all. I simply did not think his reasoning for a 50% deposit was professional. And for the last time, HE DID NOT TELL ME THAT THE DEPOSIT WAS REFUNDABLE.
  • aegrishaegrish member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_beware-of-masterpiece-cuisine?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:91Discussion:45ffaf7f-6a7d-4eeb-b6cf-00f5bd51ec28Post:befecedd-4de5-4143-a304-c6b987734301">Re: Beware of Masterpiece Cuisine</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yes, they did indeed, but after changing my amount of people I had to invite, they required 50% deposit to revise the quote. Do you think it's fair they require 50% of the deposit for a few minutes of their time WITHOUT saving a date? Honestly, do you really believe it's fair or are you just trying to bicker? You said that I was using big words to seem "smarter" and that it "wasn't working" That is what led me to believe that it was "too smart" for you. Your words. I certainly didn't mean to impune your intelligence, I was responding to your words, in your post

Do I think it's fair that my reception venue has a $4500 minimum for a private room, excluding gratuity? No.  Did I complain to them about it? No because that's their policy and they hold every customer to it.  If it bothered me that much I would simply tell  them "thank you for the information and your time but that will not work for us".

Do I think Masterpieces re-quote policy is fair? Probably yes, because my caterer has the same policy.  They give you an initial estimate, and they leave it at that until you book your date.  If you want a custom estimate on a menu then you need to book.  Seems fair to me.  They can't spend all day revising estimates for people that may not even book.  I think you're probably under-estimating what goes into a quote for a client.  It may not take a 'few minutes', or they may not be in front of a computer all day to give quotes.  They probably spend a lot of time requiring to intial inquiries and have to draw the line somewhere with re-quotes.  Or maybe they just do not want to work with you (also understandable).
  • edited December 2011

Honestly, I wouldn't put down a deposit on something until I knew exactly what I was getting. So I understand OP's point- You show me the quote for 100 people, and I'll give you a deposit. Masterpiece didn't say it was refundable, so that is on them.

I have a feeling they deal with a lot of easy going brides- they know their food is good, and so they book them and figure out the details later. Perhaps he's used to that and didn't want to bother with the difficulty that OP was presenting him? In which case, fine. They can both wash their hands of each other as neither wants to do business with the other.

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_beware-of-masterpiece-cuisine?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:45ffaf7f-6a7d-4eeb-b6cf-00f5bd51ec28Post:7ff4b22e-abb8-496b-9f88-b634365f6da3">Re: Beware of Masterpiece Cuisine</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm sorry for the extra text, I have cleaned it up. And you find their process reasonable? You are comfortable with blindly paying a 50% deposit on food you haven't seen or tasted, and putting your faith in a company or person you have not met? And when he clearly stated that the 50% deposit was not for holding the date, but for "validating his time"??? I am really trying to see your point, but your statement is completely irrational.

I haven't personally experienced the services of any of our vendors, and won't, until our wedding date in a few months; it's been based solely on reputation.  The only place I saw in person was our venue MIx and I met the general manager and several of the staff but I didn't taste the food since their menu changes quarterly and anything I tasted wouldn't be what was on our menu anyway.

I can say that I would not pay anyone for a quote, so I agree with you there.  However, on the other side of the coin, as a small business owner myself, if I was Masterpiece I would have told you I couldn't meet your requirements as soon as you scoffed at the $150 fee for a tasting with the explanation that it's 15% of your catering budget as if that somehow has anything to do with it.  I mean seriously, you're asking the guy to spend more time increasing your quote to 100 people and your budget (based on simple math of $150 being 15% of it according to your email) is $1000.  Um, yeah, you want to feed 100 people for $10/each?  Or even 60 people for $16/each if we go back to the first number along with a free tasting?

They're a catering company, they're going to have to go purchase food in small quantities, cook individual portions for you so you can taste it and then have the expected back and forth over the menu, etc. for a total income of $1000?  No thanks.  My company has customers like that as well, and they waste the majority of our time, which is why we're trying to get rid of them since one interaction like yours wastes enough of our time that we can't possibly make a profit off of them, making it pointless to have them as customers to begin with.

You're better off going to McDonalds and getting eveyrone a burger and fries for $10/pp; this guy has a business to run.

Married in Vegas - June 2011

• aegrishaegrish member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_beware-of-masterpiece-cuisine?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:91Discussion:45ffaf7f-6a7d-4eeb-b6cf-00f5bd51ec28Post:62810a6c-d5e3-402f-a2b2-5cec5929788d">Re: Beware of Masterpiece Cuisine</a>:
    [QUOTE]The only thing I could agree that was "unprofessional" was my use of the word prolly. <strong>You are quite the dare devil</strong> to not see your venue in person until the day before the wedding. I wasn't negotiating at all. I simply did not think his reasoning for a 50% deposit was professional. And for the last time, HE DID NOT TELL ME THAT THE DEPOSIT WAS REFUNDABLE.

then a lot of us are dare devils because booking online and over the phone is fairly common for a DW.  Not everyone has the time or budget to take a scouting trip. I didn't see any need to do one myself and booked my venues without visitng.  I have no concerns or worries either. 

Again as PP's eluded too (smart word right?) he probably didn't mention the refundable part because he wanted to wash his hands of you and get back to running his business.  I wouldn't waste my time selling my business to a customer that was already scoffing at me for normal policies and procedures and unwilling to do simple math. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards