Chit Chat
Options

What's bugging you?

Re: What's bugging you?

• Options
    RANT:

1) I broke my bra last night. The underwire snapped in half and it's stabbing me and I hate this bra and the only reason I'm wearing it is because I also snapped ALL my other bras so now I have to go bra shopping, which I hate.

2) FI made me cranky this morning because he's upset that our mid-month pay cheque gets used up really fast, but that's because that's the cheque that has our car payments, mortgage AND interest for our loan come off.

3) My cat is eating the tile grout in our bathroom and I can't make her stop.

Somebody give me some rum.
    I'm sure you tried this already but those sprays that smell and taste like shit?  If that doesn't work can you keep the  door closed?  Time for a vet check to determine what is causing this pica?

Apparently last night I rolled over and knocked my poor cat out of bed and scared the ever living shit out of him :*(  He was disoriented for a few hours.  I suck.
    When my cat was a super tiny kitten he was sleeping next to me and I rolled over on top of him. I thought I was lying on the tv remote (cuz i used to fall asleep with the remote next to me in the bed) so I didn't move for a minute. When I realized it was probably the kitten, I got up super fast and he was smooshed down into the blankets and just staring up at me like I was insane. I felt awful. But he turned out alright! (Won't sleep in beds anymore, though.) 
  • Options
    @PrettyGirlLost @novella1186 Oh you're both so smart. I''ll do that tonight.
    Cats supposedly hate the smell and taste of citrus, and some lavendar as well.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    RANT:

1) I broke my bra last night. The underwire snapped in half and it's stabbing me and I hate this bra and the only reason I'm wearing it is because I also snapped ALL my other bras so now I have to go bra shopping, which I hate.

2) FI made me cranky this morning because he's upset that our mid-month pay cheque gets used up really fast, but that's because that's the cheque that has our car payments, mortgage AND interest for our loan come off.

I'm sure you tried this already but those sprays that smell and taste like shit?  If that doesn't work can you keep the  door closed?  Time for a vet check to determine what is causing this pica?

Apparently last night I rolled over and knocked my poor cat out of bed and scared the ever living shit out of him :*(  He was disoriented for a few hours.  I suck.
    When my cat was a super tiny kitten he was sleeping next to me and I rolled over on top of him. I thought I was lying on the tv remote (cuz i used to fall asleep with the remote next to me in the bed) so I didn't move for a minute. When I realized it was probably the kitten, I got up super fast and he was smooshed down into the blankets and just staring up at me like I was insane. I felt awful. But he turned out alright! (Won't sleep in beds anymore, though.) 
    Doh!

We just moved him into our apartment last week, so he's still adjusting and I hope this doesn't traumatize him and make him avoid our bedroom.  He normally sleeps with us and we love it.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    @esstee33 ouuuuh so darling!! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    esstee33 said:
    Ugh, I hate ignorant fools.Some guy I'm friends with on FB (friend of a friend, so more like acquaintances) is constantly spouting off about how everything is racist. Don't get me wrong, I totally believe that racism is alive and well, but not everydamnthing is about race. His newest gripe is with retailers having vacation blackout dates during the holiday season. They're doing it not to keep enough staff around to accommodate the extra shopper volume, but instead they started doing it recently because black people work in retail. Like, how the fuck does one make that kind of leap in logic? I mean, I started in retail 15 years ago and vacation blackouts were alive and well then. I worked every holiday season for 7 years, and I didn't notice more employees of any given race working than during the rest of the year. So... wtf?
    Aw, yeah, when I was as bridal registry consultant and I wasn't allowed to take any time off during the entire month of June, it was because I'm white, not because that's the busiest month of the year for weddings. 
    Of course! When I worked in a banquet hall and couldn't take time off in May, June, November and December (graduations/weddings, holiday parties), it was TOTALLY because I'm Asian. Not because those were the busiest months of the year for parties.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    esstee33 said:
    Ugh, I hate ignorant fools.Some guy I'm friends with on FB (friend of a friend, so more like acquaintances) is constantly spouting off about how everything is racist. Don't get me wrong, I totally believe that racism is alive and well, but not everydamnthing is about race. His newest gripe is with retailers having vacation blackout dates during the holiday season. They're doing it not to keep enough staff around to accommodate the extra shopper volume, but instead they started doing it recently because black people work in retail. Like, how the fuck does one make that kind of leap in logic? I mean, I started in retail 15 years ago and vacation blackouts were alive and well then. I worked every holiday season for 7 years, and I didn't notice more employees of any given race working than during the rest of the year. So... wtf?
    Aw, yeah, when I was as bridal registry consultant and I wasn't allowed to take any time off during the entire month of June, it was because I'm white, not because that's the busiest month of the year for weddings. 
    Of course! When I worked in a banquet hall and couldn't take time off in May, June, November and December (graduations/weddings, holiday parties), it was TOTALLY because I'm Asian. Not because those were the busiest months of the year for parties.
    Yeah, No Vacay Mid October through January is pretty standard for retail.

Anniversary
  • Options
    chibiyui said:
    esstee33 said:
    Right? But it's wrong because it's not fair to people making minimum wage that they can't take vacation time whenever they want.

I can't even with this guy. I pointed out that many industries have vacation blackout dates and many industries besides retail are operational on major holidays (like sporting events where janitors and concession stand workers are surely NOT making big bucks). I said why aren't we outraged for ALL employees that are treated unfairly. His response?

"Every time you compare someone paid enough to, at the very least, survive, with full time hours not split up in order to avoid giving fringe benefits or paying taxes on full time employees you do those who are taken advantage of a disservice. No one should be taken advantage of and to defend the status quo by being dismissive of something as important as businesses getting away with the wholesale elimination of employees rights angers me. Well not really. It concerns me."

So it's totally okay to fuck over employees HE thinks are paid enough? I really fail to see his logic here.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    RANT:

I'm a terrible person, but I giggled a little because I could just see kitten's face looking all like "You BETRAYED me!"

Sidenote:  Someone just called the office and their Caller ID was DRAGON SLAYYYER.
    WHAT?!  GTFO, I don't believe it.

Was it this guy, maybe: http://gawker.com/high-elf-high-on-acid-attacks-womans-bmw-with-a-sword-1579493237

http://www.vocativ.com/underworld/crime/exclusive-interview-elf-dropped-acid-jousted-car/

• Options
    RANT:

I'm a terrible person, but I giggled a little because I could just see kitten's face looking all like "You BETRAYED me!"

Sidenote:  Someone just called the office and their Caller ID was DRAGON SLAYYYER.
    I laughed at both of those stories. Not because I'm an animal hater but because it has happened to me a few times. FI and I have a cat and she isn't much of a cuddler. Occasionally though, she'll crawl in bed with us at night and almost every single time I roll over on her. she just looks at me like, "What? I'm not moving." It makes me wonder how people sleep with babies in their beds. I feel like I would squish it. 

• Options
    natswild said:

I'm getting very tired of sore boobs that hurt all. the. time.!  I just want someone to cut them off and replace them with ones that don't hurt :(

Need a man to massage them! ;)

image   image   image

• Options
    esstee33 said:
    @lolo883 Houndstooth is awesome, though. A+ shoes. 

@magicink It seems like you've been sick for ages. Hope you start feeling better soon. :( 
    I know! I thought I caught it in time for it to not be terrible...but I was wrong.

But I feel human today! I'm sitting up right at my computer and everything! I mean I'm not wearing pants but I'm upright! And out of bed!
  • Options

beethery said:

IMMEDIATELY came to mind.

This is why I love you guys lol. I laughed so hard I couldn't even pick up the phone.
  • Options
    MagicInk said:

esstee33 said:

@lolo883 Houndstooth is awesome, though. A+ shoes. 

@magicink It seems like you've been sick for ages. Hope you start feeling better soon. :( 

I know! I thought I caught it in time for it to not be terrible...but I was wrong.

But I feel human today! I'm sitting up right at my computer and everything! I mean I'm not wearing pants but I'm upright! And out of bed!

Pffffft. Pants are not necessary at home, sick or not.
  • Options
    I've been making the same chocolate chip cookie recipe since I was 12.  It's just the Toll House recipe, but I always get tons of compliments on them.  I make other delicious cookies too, so I am a little big-headed and cocky about my stellar cookie-baking wizardry.

The last few batches of choc. chip cookies have come out totally flat.  I went and got all new ingredients to make sure everything was fresh (I was thinking maybe I had bad baking soda), and they're still flat.  I've changed nothing about my methods.  I know my oven can be wonky, but that shouldn't change their physical structure, right?

So my ego is blown, and I'm bummed that I have flat cookies.  They still taste good, but once they're cool they'll be all crispy instead of perfectly crisp edges with a chewy center.  Boo :(

• Options

What's bugging me

I'm on my period and have major cramps

When I ask people o do something for me they always give excuses why they can't do it, why they shouldn't do it, ect. It drives me insane!

I have a lot of homework, labs, and papers to do. Very little time to do it.

I also want this pretty dress for nye but it's out of stock in my size and I'm waiting to see if it will ever be restocked. Boo

• Options
    I've been making the same chocolate chip cookie recipe since I was 12.  It's just the Toll House recipe, but I always get tons of compliments on them.  I make other delicious cookies too, so I am a little big-headed and cocky about my stellar cookie-baking wizardry.

The last few batches of choc. chip cookies have come out totally flat.  I went and got all new ingredients to make sure everything was fresh (I was thinking maybe I had bad baking soda), and they're still flat.  I've changed nothing about my methods.  I know my oven can be wonky, but that shouldn't change their physical structure, right?

So my ego is blown, and I'm bummed that I have flat cookies.  They still taste good, but once they're cool they'll be all crispy instead of perfectly crisp edges with a chewy center.  Boo :(
    I would have assumed it was your ingredients too (old leavener or whatever)...did you change brands, not just changed to a fresh box? Maybe that's worth trying and your usual brand has changed something.

If not, changing the temperature can do a lot of crazy things to baking, so if your oven is wonky that could certainly be enough of a problem to screw up your cookies.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    chibiyui said:
    esstee33 said:
    Right? But it's wrong because it's not fair to people making minimum wage that they can't take vacation time whenever they want.

I can't even with this guy. I pointed out that many industries have vacation blackout dates and many industries besides retail are operational on major holidays (like sporting events where janitors and concession stand workers are surely NOT making big bucks). I said why aren't we outraged for ALL employees that are treated unfairly. His response?

"Every time you compare someone paid enough to, at the very least, survive, with full time hours not split up in order to avoid giving fringe benefits or paying taxes on full time employees you do those who are taken advantage of a disservice. No one should be taken advantage of and to defend the status quo by being dismissive of something as important as businesses getting away with the wholesale elimination of employees rights angers me. Well not really. It concerns me."

So it's totally okay to fuck over employees HE thinks are paid enough? I really fail to see his logic here.
    There are a lot of business practices in the retail world to be legitimately upset about, fucking vacation blackouts is not one of them. Like dude. Seriously. 

Anniversary
  • Options
    amelisha said:

I would have assumed it was your ingredients too (old leavener or whatever)...did you change brands, not just changed to a fresh box? Maybe that's worth trying and your usual brand has changed something.

If not, changing the temperature can do a lot of crazy things to baking, so if your oven is wonky that could certainly be enough of a problem to screw up your cookies.
    It's all my same brands!  I still have a sneaking suspicion that it is the baking soda, even though I bought a new box (Arm and Hammer).  I'm thinking I'll buy the sealed container type versus the box.  I imagine it's just easier to go bad in the cardboard box versus plastic with a lid and seal, ya know?  So even though I bought it new, it may not have actually been fresh.

I could use a new oven too, but we'll stick with the ingredient changes for now.  Baking soda's a bit cheaper than an oven. ;)

• Options
    chibiyui said:
    There are a lot of business practices in the retail world to be legitimately upset about, fucking vacation blackouts is not one of them. Like dude. Seriously. 
    Right? And to be perfectly honest, I actually made significantly more money when I worked in retail than I do now. I had more PTO (even though we had blackout dates for holiday and inventory). I know that's not true for everyone who works in retail, but if this guy's argument is that people who are paid enough to live on shouldn't be treated fairly, then it shouldn't have been a problem for us to have vacation blackouts or other unfair treatment.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options

I doubt this will help as you have been making these cookies forever but

I believe that if you use butter when making cookies they flatten out and get more crisp, but if you use margarine they stay more raised.

• Options
    amelisha said:

It's all my same brands!  I still have a sneaking suspicion that it is the baking soda, even though I bought a new box (Arm and Hammer).  I'm thinking I'll buy the sealed container type versus the box.  I imagine it's just easier to go bad in the cardboard box versus plastic with a lid and seal, ya know?  So even though I bought it new, it may not have actually been fresh.

I could use a new oven too, but we'll stick with the ingredient changes for now.  Baking soda's a bit cheaper than an oven. ;)
    Someone just posted this on FB and it seems quite timely for this conversation: http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2014/09/04/345530660/the-science-behind-baking-your-ideal-chocolate-chip-cookie

I use more flour and and half to 2/3 the amount of baking soda indicated when I bake cookies. They always come out soft on the inside and crispy on the outside.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options

amelisha said:

Someone just posted this on FB and it seems quite timely for this conversation: http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2014/09/04/345530660/the-science-behind-baking-your-ideal-chocolate-chip-cookie

I use more flour and and half to 2/3 the amount of baking soda indicated when I bake cookies. They always come out soft on the inside and crispy on the outside.

I like cakey cookies so I do more flour and usually baking powder instead of soda. And I always underbake them a little so they're still a bit soft when cool.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

I believe that if you use butter when making cookies they flatten out and get more crisp, but if you use margarine they stay more raised.
    You know, it could be the butter.  That's the one ingredient where I have switched to Publix brand because the Land o Lakes stuff costs $6/box now.  I always use name brands for the other ingredients.  I made my Christmas cookie recipes (sugar and gingerbread) at Halloween, and they use baking soda but have Crisco as the fat, and I didn't have any problems with them.  Hmmm....

Well, when your username is cookie pusher, I have to follow your advice, right? ;)

That's an interesting article, though.  Looks like there is experimenting to be in my future!

• Options
    edited November 2014

Do you always weigh your flour or measure it, and could you be accidentally using less than before? Is your kitchen maybe warmer than it's been in the past? 

I like this guide:

ETA haha apparently Cookie Pusher and I had the same idea.

• Options

Do you always weigh your flour or measure it, and could you be accidentally using less than before? Is your kitchen maybe warmer than it's been in the past? 

I like this guide:

ETA haha apparently Cookie Pusher and I had the same idea.
    But which of those cookies has been baked with margarine and which with butter?

• Options
    @prettygirllost none of them, they're all made with butter. Which is fine by me because I never use margarine.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards