Chit Chat
Options

TKzillas

Re: TKzillas

• Options
    @JCBride2014, I for one really enjoyed this thread.
    @lalalaurita I had to stop reading it on my iPad during class because I was afraid I would start laughing and give myself away!

ETA: And oh, I'm 26 and absolutely remember the dial-up sounds and busy signals.  I also remember negotiating with my mom about how long I could "tie up" the phone line with the internet connection!
    I feel so thankful that my parents let me pay to have my own phone line in addition to AOL (I was working 20 hours a week throughout high school so I could pay for my own stuff and save for college). I remember being up until all hours of the night in X-Files chat rooms being a total nerd.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    @JCBride2014, I for one really enjoyed this thread.
    @lalalaurita I had to stop reading it on my iPad during class because I was afraid I would start laughing and give myself away!

ETA: And oh, I'm 26 and absolutely remember the dial-up sounds and busy signals.  I also remember negotiating with my mom about how long I could "tie up" the phone line with the internet connection!
    I feel so thankful that my parents let me pay to have my own phone line in addition to AOL (I was working 20 hours a week throughout high school so I could pay for my own stuff and save for college). I remember being up until all hours of the night in X-Files chat rooms being a total nerd.
    Cookie I'll up you a nerd point: my primary activity on the internet as a tween was learning and coding HTML.  Why, I still have no idea.  At the time I thought it was cool.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    Cookie I'll up you a nerd point: my primary activity on the internet as a tween was learning and coding HTML.  Why, I still have no idea.  At the time I thought it was cool.
    My dad and I used to code all the time! We built a couple of webpages for the radio stations he ran. We would also spend weekends running our own radio station (I can't remember what frequency we used, but you could only hear it in about a 1 mile radius) and talking to people on HAM radio. I was learning how to code Java and vBulletin a few years ago, but kind of lost interest. If it was tech and nerdy, my dad and I spent our weekends doing it. lol
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    It was always a race to the computer lab eery lunch hour so you could play Oregon Trail.  2 of the computers had 8 bit colour chips, so those always went fast

• Options
    lovesclimbinglovesclimbing member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited February 2014
    Alh728 said:
    Alh728 said:
    misshart00 said:
    OP, how old are you? You say you're young and enjoy hash tags so I'm curious what that means?

I'll be 24. So my post means exactly what i said, I am young, prime age for enjoying social media and i enjoy using hashtags regardless of how relevant they are right now.
    You do realize that a lot of older folks enjoy social media just as much if not more then you youngins.

Yes i do realize that (mother/grandfather both on FB). I am simply stating that i am the target age for SM.
    Wrong. I'm a social media manager, and you are far from our target audience. 

Hashtags have no utility when they're non-searchable. 

So you posting #justsayin or #haters or whatever else you're using is pointless in this forum.

Hashtags actually do have a use on this forum.  Click on one of the ones in this thread and it will take you to a page with a listing of all the other posts that have the hashtag in them.  But I do agree with you that they are pointless if they're used somewhere that doesn't support them.

I do not like hashtags. I will use one or two with a tweet once in awhile.  I have used one a couple times in Facebook posts.  But I really think they are WAY overused.  And that Jimmy Fallon skit was hilarious.  I have people who are like that on my Facebook. 15 or 20 hashtags with a picture, argh.

Also, put me in the camp of people who remember dial up internet and I am younger than the OP!
  • Options
    I love you guys. #LOL!

image   image   image

• Options
    Hashtags actually do have a use on this forum.  Click on one of the ones in this thread and it will take you to a page with a listing of all the other posts that have the hashtag in them.  But I do agree with you that they are pointless if they're used somewhere that doesn't support them.

I do not like hashtags. I will use one or two with a tweet once in awhile.  I have used one a couple times in Facebook posts.  But I really think they are WAY overused.  And that Jimmy Fallon skit was hilarious.  I have people who are like that on my Facebook. 15 or 20 hashtags with a picture, argh.

Also, put me in the camp of people who remember dial up internet and I am younger than the OP!
    First bolded: Mind blown!

Second bolded: these people drive me crazy.  Putting a hashtag in front of every word in your post doesn't make you cool, it makes you annoying.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    I know the dialup tone all too well. My parents seriously JUST let it go for a hotspot instead, like 4 months ago. Getting internet in the boonies is a bitch (although they could definitely afford to have a cable run out and that's what I would've done but what do I know...)
  • Options
    I always miss the fun troll threats... :( 
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 
    Funny Awkward animated GIF
  • Options
    Alh728 said:
    To everyone reading between the lines of what i am trying to say-HAVE FUN! I have made my points-clear and precise. If you so decide to read further into what I am saying you'll be here for days! LOL
    That'd be like trying to dive in the shallow end of the pool dear...
  • Options
    @MuppetOverlord I'm a huge Archie/Jughead fan :) The Muppets and Fraggle Rock are awesome as well.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    I still have customers who come into the library who have dialup. Not everyone can afford access.

#nojoke #welcometo2014 #hashtagcrazysauce #americafail

Wedding Black & White, Sepia
  • Options
    #How #is #this #annoying? #It #is #super #cool #yo!  ;)
    i think you mean #yolo? #hashtagfail
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    @MuppetOverlord I'm a huge Archie/Jughead fan :) The Muppets and Fraggle Rock are awesome as well.
    You can be my friend.
    imageimageimage

You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.
  • Options
    JaniV123JaniV123 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2014
    AddieL73 said:
    I still have my AOL accounts. Complete with slutty I'm-new-to-the-internet-and-want-to-appear-sexy screen names.
    I have that but on my hotmail hahaha
    I just want to state.. as a 22 (almost 23) year old. I know what a busy signal is, dial up internet sounds like and a pound sign is.....

The only time I use hashtags is on Instagram (as actual searchable things such as #12man and #puppy)..oh and in conversation with @HisGirlFriday13..... #honest.... 
    Im 21, I will be 22 in April. I too know what all those are.

on another note Im 21 and I dont nearly say LOL, or use hastags as much as the OP. 

ETA: so much for being in the prime age for hashtagging, social media, and LOL

• Options
    #How #is #this #annoying? #It #is #super #cool #yo!  ;)
    i think you mean #yolo? #hashtagfail
    Ugh, yolo is about as annoying as hashtags.

• Options

I was totally named after an Archie character.
  • Options
    As someone who's been using "LOL" since OP was 2 or so, I can say from experience she severely overuses it.

More importantly, a note about landline phones: Cordless phones also need to charge. For use during a power outage, what you need is an old school landline phone that's got no power cord, JUST the phone wire. That will work forever.

HOWEVER, the phone will only work forever with no power if you're on old copper phone wires.

For example, I'm on FiOS. When the power goes out, the phone still works, but ONLY for 24 hours, because the FiOS comes with a 24-hour battery backup. At our old place, we had regular old copper wire Verizon & the phone would work into perpetuity.
  • Options
    As someone who's been using "LOL" since OP was 2 or so, I can say from experience she severely overuses it. More importantly, a note about landline phones: Cordless phones also need to charge. For use during a power outage, what you need is an old school landline phone that's got no power cord, JUST the phone wire. That will work forever. HOWEVER, the phone will only work forever with no power if you're on old copper phone wires. For example, I'm on FiOS. When the power goes out, the phone still works, but ONLY for 24 hours, because the FiOS comes with a 24-hour battery backup. At our old place, we had regular old copper wire Verizon & the phone would work into perpetuity.
    DH's grandmother has one of those phones!! Like, honest-to-Jesus, looks like this: 
    And when she loses power, that phone still works, so DH can call her and check on her (it always confuses her how he can call from his cell phone to her old-school phone and it works, but her cordless phone doesn't. Always baffles her).

That sucker will work forever.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Options

I was totally named after an Archie character.
    That is so awesome!! 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    Cookie PusherCookie Pusher member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited February 2014
    Can't lie, I was ridiculously happy when I could watch 2 episodes of Fraggle Rock every morning on one of the children's networks while I was between jobs. And I might have shed a tear or two when FR was yanked from the schedule.

~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    Yeah copper telephone lines. Hasn't anyone ever watched The Day After Tomorrow?
    imageimageimage

You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards