Chit Chat
Options

Moved in with the fiancé and things aren't going great

Re: Moved in with the fiancé and things aren't going great

• Options
    Notice how when you talk about your problems you're not saying anything like, "But FI is the one shining beacon of hope in this mess and if I didn't have him it would make all of this unbearable." Instead, he seems to be lumped in with the bad things. You've decided that for some reason, you have to stay even though you're very unhappy. You don't. I'll say it again and again. You don't.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    You are excellent at making excuses to stay.  So you will stay and have this be one more thing on the list to be unhappy about.  Only you can change your situation, and until you decide to do so (which I hope is before you get married and have kids) then you will stay being unhappy and unfulfilled with this man, who the best things you have to say about him are that you both want to have families, a farm and you like a man in uniform.

Until you decided that you deserve to be happy and excited about the person you are with, you will remain in this unhappy relationship.  I feel sorry that you can't see you deserve better, no matter how hard it might be for a short while.
    I think the bolded hits the nail on the head. You don't seem to understand that you deserve so much more than this, and it makes me really sad for you. 
  • Options
    sarahufl said:
    I had lots and lots of crap going on in my life when I met my H. Cancer, death of family members, my sister losing two pregnancies, more death, more cancer.

But he was always the one who made things BETTER for me. Not worse. I always said- wow, there is a lot of crap going on in my life right now, but at least I have him to lean on.

He shouldn't be a burden.

QFT

I went through some really rough family issues during the first year of dating with my now H.  H was the one that made it better and bearable because he supported and was there for me when others weren't.  It was never "I have x,y, and z making me miserable and on top of that H is being a real PINA too and isn't supportive". 

• Options
    All of you can easily make this decision because your lives aren't the ones in jeopardy. If I could get back to where I was in January I'd be happy for the rest of my life. He's been a great confidant, he's the man who convinced me to be comfortable in my own skin and helped me through more dark things than I'd care to get into. He stayed with me through 2 bouts of depression. I know first hand that people don't always want to feel the way they do. It changes the way you act and you can't even help it. So yeah, I feel like I owe him some time. He gave me more than I deserved.
  • Options
    larrygagalarrygaga member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2014
  • Options

All of you can easily make this decision because your lives aren't the ones in jeopardy. If I could get back to where I was in January I'd be happy for the rest of my life. He's been a great confidant, he's the man who convinced me to be comfortable in my own skin and helped me through more dark things than I'd care to get into. He stayed with me through 2 bouts of depression. I know first hand that people don't always want to feel the way they do. It changes the way you act and you can't even help it. So yeah, I feel like I owe him some time. He gave me more than I deserved.

Do you mean where YOU were in January, or where HE was in January? And as @larrygaga said, there are several women here with cancer and have (or have had) points where their lives are in jeopardy. I also have been through depression and have been on hormone therapy, so I can attest to the fact that people can act differently based on other conditions. But here's the thing ... I never told my husband that he couldn't go out. I didn't control him the way that you say that your FI is controlling you. And whIle I was in that state, I knew that my mood was altered by medication and I apologized for the times that I was a bitch to my husband. Has he apologized for how he treated you? Has he admitted to attempting to control you?

Here's the thing. Do you OWE him more time? No. It sounds like you feel like you should give him more time. But here's the thing ... you should be able to give him that time on your terms, not his. You said that he's not open to talking s break, and it doesn't sound like he admits that anything is wrong. So why do you think things will change?
  • Options
    I knew I was in a bad relationship when I was crying to my roommate and said "But he's good to me" and she replied "Oh, like any human being with common courtesy would.?"

I was terrified of breaking up with him because I was a senior and was convinced if I didn't find someone before graduation I would never find anyone. I was scared I'd end up alone if I didn't have a committed relationship before the real world and all those adult responsibilities hit. I ended up breaking up with him because I knew I deserved better. I graduated single. I dealt with the adult responsibilities and years (like, 3) later met H. I met him online. I almost didn't respond to him because he as in northern MD and I was planning to move back to Philly. 

Being single (well, dating along the way) was the best thing that could have happened to me. I did a lot of growing in college, but I did so much more growing after college. I became more discerning of partners. I learned what the fuck I actually wanted in a guy, cause what I went for at 21 is not at all what I ended up with. 

There are plenty of fish in the sea. And online dating can be a great way for you to browse for your "type" Hell, there's a fucking Farmersonly.com out there. 

Either way, if you stay with him or leave, you need to own it. Waffling will only make it worse.

Anniversary
  • Options
    *screams into pillow*  I just can't even with this.

Is your life in jeopardy?  If so, that is a whole other discussion, and you need to get out immediately.  

It sounds like in the past he WAS great, helped you with depression, and so on.  That's great, but you really should consider counseling, either individual, couples, or both.  A supportive, loving partner will stick with you through this.  You've gotten some great advice from PPs.  

"I know first hand that people don't always want to feel the way they do. It changes the way you act and you can't even help it."  Like falling out of love with someone?  You can hope all you want, but that does not mean the feelings you had back whenever you said you two were happy will happen again.  This is not a bad thing.  It is life sometimes, unfortunately.

You don't owe him anything.  Relationships are give and take, and just because he was there for you a few times a long time back does not put you in his debt.  You're not happy.  Clearly there are issues.  If nothing else, try counseling.  I honestly don't know why you even asked at this point, a lot of people put some very personal stuff out there to try to help you and you just make more excuses. 

/Dee out.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Let's turn the situation around for a minute. Is it really fair to a partner if you stay with them because you feel like you owe them? For the purposes of this thought exercise, it doesn't matter how he treats you. Even if he treated you like a queen, the fact remains that you're staying out of perceived obligation, not love.

Your excuses keep coming back to your feelings of obligation. If you're not ready to accept that YOU deserve better (which you do), at least recognize that you're not actually doing the other person a favour by staying.

I'm not saying you should leave because he deserves to be with somebody that's in love with him. What I'm saying is that neither party is benefiting from this relationship, so your feelings of obligation are misguided at best.

• Options
    Why did you come here looking for advice? You obviously don't want any kind of help. 
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    When I was younger, I thought that I would finish high school, go to college for 4 years, where I would meet the man that would become my husband, marry him at 22 and live the rest of our blissful lives in Eastern PA with our 2.5 kids (or whatever it is you're supposed to have these days).

Instead, I realized that I was doing what was expected of me, not what I wanted. So after 2 years of college I broke up with my boyfriend and decided I wanted to go to college somewhere else. I picked a region, googled every college around, and packed my bags. I moved 13 hours away from everything I'd ever known, just because I needed to finally do something for me

I started over at 20. Then again at 25 when I was in a relationship I didn't see progressing. Now I'm 29 and engaged to marry a man that still gives me butterflies. He's 35 and no stranger to starting over either. In no way do I feel like I'm too late to the game. I could have been married at 22 like my 15-year-old self planned. But I had living to do and I never felt like I could do it with those other guys. Now I could go anywhere, do anything, be anything, and as long as I have FI next to me I'll be happy.

It's never easy to start over. It can feel like the hardest thing you'll ever do. But the higher the hill, the better the view.

ETA: I've heard many stories about verbal abuse becoming physical after marriage. I sincerely hope you don't end up there.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    You don't want help, you want us to say "oh of course you're right, you owe it to him to stay."

Well, that's not gonna happen.  You're being ridiculous and acting, quite frankly, like a child stamping their foot and going "but you don't know me.  Wah."  You're right, we don't, but we know what you've told us and what you've told us is pretty shitty.

We can't help you if you won't help yourself and you'd rather sit here and fight with strangers on the internet and wish for January rather than actually deal with real life and your current situation.  When you're ready to actually be an adult and confront your situation head on, I"m sure all of us here will be happy to help.  While you continue to post dramatic things and then pout when you don't get the responses you want, nothing can be done.

And for the record, him "staying with you while you have depression" isn't doing more than you deserve, it's being a supportive partner.  Until YOU realize your own self worth, you will continue putting up with a shitty partner because you don't believe that you deserve better.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    FWIW, one of my best friends married a guy because he really helped her through a hard time and he treated her well.

They got married in 2011.  They filed for divorce a few days before their second anniversary.*

Food for thought.

Either decide that this is a bump in the road and go to counseling so that you may move past it, and work through any issues, or decide that you are not in the relationship for the right reasons and move on.

*ETA: My point to this was that you shouldn't get married because you feel that you owe someone.  Chances are there is a lot more going on in the relationship, and you may be using the feelings that you didn't deserve to have someone be good to you when your partner was/ you owe someone/ etc. as a way to cover up some deeper issues (such as- controlling behaviors, lack of communication, lack of respect/ support for individual goals).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I just can't with this anymore. OP, I would genuinely love to hear from you that you're seeing a counselor, and/or that you got yourself out of your bad situation. But I don't think that's going to happen. Best of luck.
  • Options
    Holy crap, ten pages later and you aren't receptive to responses. I get it, you are scared to start over, and it feels like your life is crashing around you, and you are worried about finances, and you love him, etc.  NEWS FLASH: the man you wanted to marry has changed, there is no guarantee that he will turn back into the person he was last January. The reasons you stated above are not enough to stay in this relationship. You are very young, and you really have your whole life ahead of you. PPs have suggested that you either break up with him, or you attend counseling.

I would like to point out that you are lucky to have witnessed his behavior as it is right now. Do you want to marry him like this? Would you be willing to stay with a boy who behaves like this for your entire lives together? I don't think so. I hope that you will take our words into consideration, and will choose to work on yourself to gain the confidence you need to leave, OR attend couples counseling together to get this ironed out before you get married. 

I wish you the best. 

• Options
    lilacck28lilacck28 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited November 2014
    I'm on page 7 of this 10 page thread ... and I really feel like I'm missing something.

Here's what I've taken away from 7 pages:
    1. you're young, 21, with at least a year left before you finish college
    2. you moved in with your fiance and are experiencing growing pains with that (ie, different styles of cleanliness. ETA: he shouldn't yell at you. You guys should learn to talk about these differences calmly and make compromises)
    3. He wants to know where you are when you're out late at night
    4. you're not very happy in the relationship, but want to be married
    5. you're scared about getting a job and finding a life partner. You want that figured out right now.
    5. you like that he pays your entire rent
    6. you're going to at least stick it out until he isn't around and is deployed and paying your entire rent

so, basically, you're really young and not sure you want to marry him... and you're mooching off of him.

I agree with PP. Break up. You're not happy, you're young. You're not stuck. Your dating pool may be small now, but it seems like you have a lot of growing to do before you're ready for a healthy, committed relationship anyway. ETA: Just because someone was good to you in the past, or is currently an amazing human being, doesn't mean s/he is the right partner for you.

I feel like I've missed where there was evidence that he was a horrible controlling guy. I want to know where my FI has been when he was out late at night too. And I'd be super pissed if he was out late and didn't tell me he was going to be and I heard nothing from him-- I'd have been really worried about him.

My FI is in graduate school. If he stayed out late studying, or went out for drinks with people, but didn't tell me he was doing that, I'd also be pissed. It's common courtesy to let your SO know what you're up to so they don't worry about the ditch scenario. OP never said that her FI knew where she was and then got angry at her for being with those people instead of him. She just said that she was out late with her Sorority galls and he was mad at her. Missing information.

If he is a controlling, bad, abusive guy and I just missed the evidence when I was reading these posts, then I'm sorry, and I'm with the PP. But 'm going to be very honest and harsh here. The only thing I've seen evidence for is that you, OP, are a brat. More specifically, a scared girl that wants to be done growing up rather than focusing on learning about the world, that is also very happy about taking advantage of her fiance. 

ETA: okay. I finished the 10 pages. I think you all have given great advice for a person in a potentially abusive relationship/ an unhappy relationship, but I still can't figure out where this particular guy is borderline abusive. It sounds to me that he, like OP, is young. That OP was once in love with this guy, and now isn't ... because they both grew and changed and weren't the right fit so they didn't grow and change together.

And, at the risk of sounding like more of a jerk: I also quite dislike sororities and fraternities. OP never said her FI was forbidding her from participating, only that he didn't like it. I wasn't dating my FI when we were in college, but I wouldn't like it if my FI or BF was in a frat either. That doesn't make me abusive or not okay with any of his interests besides the things that involve me. It just means I don't like frats.
  • Options
    Well he "lost" my ring this week while taking it for its semiannual inspection for insurance purposes. So maybe he's actually starting to get the point that when I said things weren't going well, that I meant it. Because I honestly do not believe that it's actually lost.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards