Chit Chat
Options

Well... I just got gutted. - Update in thread

Re: Well... I just got gutted. - Update in thread

• Options
    I don't even know what to say regarding your update, other than you deserve so much better. Lots of hugs, puppies, and chocolate to you!

• Options
    l9il9i member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2014

SIB

Edited because clearly I didn't read the last update....

So sorry you have to endure this. *HUGS*  You're strong, have a wonderful FI and will get through this.  HE is your family.  It took me a few years after the worst fallout with my brother (again also a mom who favors one) to come to terms and accept I did all I could.  Seriously, to an extent I wasn't allowed to go on family vacations because of this issues my brother made up that I'd caused.  True Story.  My dad knew gave me a wonderful peice of advice.  One thing he said stuck out and made me actually understand something and I swear in that moment I could begin the process of letting go and healing....

-There are three things you can do, change yourself, change them, or remove yourself from the situation.  Don't change yourself because you're a wonderful person and I hate to see this negativity ruin you.  You can try all you want, but you'll never change someone that doesn't want to change.  So, you have your answer.  You accept it, move on, and focus on being the best you can be.

• Options
    Re the update: wow.  I am so sorry she is such a bitch to you.  Let me tell you right now, no you are not a terrible person and none of that stuff she said is true.  
  • Options

UGH I'm so sorry that she couldn't just leave it at her previous (useless) response.

No one deserves shit like this and I think you're right to just walk away, knowing that you tried to repair this relationship harder and for longer than she deserved.

Are you SURE that your mom has been saying shit too? Is it possible that your sister is just making that all up to fuel her own arguments? It's not acceptable either way, and I truly hope that your mom doesn't try to twist you into trying to make amends with your sister again (especially if she has been talking about you to your sister and has encouraged your sister's behavior in any way).

My sister and I are pretty awesome, we will take you on as a third sibling if you want!! Big hug, I'm so sorry you've had to deal with this.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Jesus christ novella. What a fucking thundercunt. Maybe this is what you needed to be finally done. You have what sounds like an amazing FI who has your back and you're marrying into a good family, so fuck those bitches and their psychotic drama.
    Anniversary

• Options

Novella, I'm sorry that was the email your sister sent to you.  You did not deserve that crazy served with a side of hate.

Unfortunetly, you know your sister is on another level right now and not good for you or your life.  Block her email and her phone number. 

Also, be prepared for your mom to reach out to you about this incident.  I know you aren't speaking with her, but I'm sure she will still try to contact you.  Practice now what you will say to her, if and when you decide to take her phone call.

I also agree with others that you need to consider a new therapist.

• Options

UGH I'm so sorry that she couldn't just leave it at her previous (useless) response.

No one deserves shit like this and I think you're right to just walk away, knowing that you tried to repair this relationship harder and for longer than she deserved.

Are you SURE that your mom has been saying shit too? Is it possible that your sister is just making that all up to fuel her own arguments? It's not acceptable either way, and I truly hope that your mom doesn't try to twist you into trying to make amends with your sister again (especially if she has been talking about you to your sister and has encouraged your sister's behavior in any way).

My sister and I are pretty awesome, we will take you on as a third sibling if you want!! Big hug, I'm so sorry you've had to deal with this.

There was one time that my mom and I got into a pretty nasty fight, and my mom said something that was totally below the belt (the was RIGHT after my sister attacked me) so I lashed out and said that she and my sister shouldn't come to the wedding. I immediately apologized because I knew that was a really mean thing to say and I didn't mean it. 

In my sister's email she said "mom told me you uninvited me to the wedding." 
    There were a few things like that that made it pretty clear that my mom has been running to my sister and saying things. (And a few of the things were worse than that, but that could very well be my sister twisting it around) 
  • Options

First bolded: If she does (and I suspect she will, just from past posts) - cut her off. If mom wants a relationship, it can't be tied to whether or not you and Sis have a relationship. Your mother will hopefully come around if she realizes you're serious, but I don't see your sister doing so. So be sure your mom knows that Sis is not a subject of discussion, and if she so much as says her name, you're hanging up, won't be calling again, and will not answer if she calls. And then follow through with it, every time. Condition her to know what you'll do if she does it, and if she wants a relationship with you, she'll do it. (Although frankly if my mom were talking shit about me to anyone, she'd be cut out anyway. Seriously that's so much fucking bullshit.)

Second bolded: I've already got a bunch of "adopted siblings" - come join the crowd! We're good peeps. Couple of stoners, you know, and we've pretty much all got tattoos and extra piercings and some of us have odd hair colors, but we're all nice!
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    Oh lord jesus. I'm gonna type out a long one once I get back to the office
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options

There was one time that my mom and I got into a pretty nasty fight, and my mom said something that was totally below the belt (the was RIGHT after my sister attacked me) so I lashed out and said that she and my sister shouldn't come to the wedding. I immediately apologized because I knew that was a really mean thing to say and I didn't mean it. 

In my sister's email she said "mom told me you uninvited me to the wedding." 
    There were a few things like that that made it pretty clear that my mom has been running to my sister and saying things. (And a few of the things were worse than that, but that could very well be my sister twisting it around) 
    Yeah, they both sound manipulative. If I were you, I would block her and your mom from social media and all other forms of connection you have with them. Also, you shouldn't have felt bad or taken back what you said about uninviting them. If they can insult you and treat you like a street rat, then they can sit in the gutter while you are having the time of your life at your wedding!
  • Options
    So sorry Novella. Like other posters said, you need to be done with your sister. That's it. If she ever wants to appologize maybe you'll talk to her again, but do not make the first move. 

Same with your mom. Your parents enable your sister, so they don't deserve your company either. They clearly picked sides (or at least your Mom), so let them have that side. 

Personally, I wouldn't invite them to the wedding either (I'm assuming your parents are not paying?)

This may have been asked before, but why don't you and your FI elope?

• Options
    @novella1186 I think it's time to seriously distance yourself from her for a while.  I wouldn't make any more moves.  You did your part in reaching out to her, and that didn't go well.  She needs to recognize what an awful person she is, and reach out TO YOU. One day, she will look back on all of this and feel terrible that she ruined a relationship with you. I don't know you IRL, but from here, I think you are an amazing lady.  You have done all you could do up to this point, you have been the bigger person, and now it's time for your sister to reach out to you.  Nothing you have done is wrong at all...Just go on with life without her and plan a fabulous wedding!  ****more hugs***
  • Options
    This just sucks. I have that feeling like there's a big weight on my chest and I can't breathe. It's not even the fact that my sister is such an evil bitch. I've always known that, so whatever. It's the fact that she's manipulating my parents and turning it into a situation where it's all of them against me. I honestly feel like I lost my whole family. And it just fucking sucks. 
  • Options
    This just sucks. I have that feeling like there's a big weight on my chest and I can't breathe. It's not even the fact that my sister is such an evil bitch. I've always known that, so whatever. It's the fact that she's manipulating my parents and turning it into a situation where it's all of them against me. I honestly feel like I lost my whole family. And it just fucking sucks. 
    What would you do if your husband was the one in this situation. Think about what you would want him to do, how it would feel to see him go through all this.What would you suggest he do about how he is being treated. Sometimes it's easier to see the solution, and be okay with it if you put someone else in your situation and take yourself out. Hope that can help a little
  • Options

I am so sorry. Your sister is  a real ass-hat.

But I think the silver lining is that this bitch wont be standing up as your MOH anymore.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm so sorry. But I'm glad you that feel that you have closure now. 

You are not a terrible person. You are a lovely, kind, caring person. That comes through in all of your posts. <3 
  • Options
    lilmexi3 said:
    What would you do if your husband was the one in this situation. Think about what you would want him to do, how it would feel to see him go through all this.What would you suggest he do about how he is being treated. Sometimes it's easier to see the solution, and be okay with it if you put someone else in your situation and take yourself out. Hope that can help a little
    Good point. I would probably tell him that if his parents are dumb enough to believe the shit his sister is saying, then fuck all of them. And I would also probably tell him to just distance himself from them all because it's not worth the trauma over and over and over. (same things you guys have been saying) It's always so easy when you're not the one in it. 
  • Options
    I'm so sorry. But I'm glad you that feel that you have closure now. 

You are not a terrible person. You are a lovely, kind, caring person. That comes through in all of your posts. <3 
    Thank you for that. 
  • Options
    The thing is, maybe none of us are surprised, BUT I think that most of us understand why you tried to open the lines of communication. And I am so damn angry on your behalf. Because this isn't someone just "being honest." It's someone being cruel. Really cruel.

I'm so sorry you're going through this. It can feel incredibly isolating when you have such a terrible family situation. But as this thread has demonstrated, you are so not alone!!

It can sometimes be hard for someone from a more intact family, like your fiancé, to understand the dynamics at play, but it sounds like he's doing a really wonderful job so far of supporting you and letting you vent and be angry and sad. And I'm so glad that his family is so wonderful to you. You're a new family as well--the two of you--and you're not starting from scratch in terms of your support system.

Basically, I've got nothing but hugs over here.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • Options
    flantasticflantastic member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2014

Novella, you know what you need to do - it's been reiterated a lot over this thread. I'll echo whoever said that they're really happy that you have your FI and his wonderful family.

Right now, talking to your sister (and your mom) hurts you. I love love love my siblings and my mom, and if any of them out of the blue decided to act crazily assholeish like that, it would take forever for me not to be seeking a reason or explanation or try to fix it, because I would miss dearly what had been. (One time in college, I got myself hysterical and nauseous over a baseless and continuing attack from a friend I didn't even like that much, because every time I tried to fix it, the situation seemed to get inexplicably worse. Everything I said, including apologies, was twisted into a new attack. I can't imagine if it had been an immediate family member.) But this email shows that this new pattern isn't going to change for them, so you need to back out. (SO MUCH TOUGHER THAN IT SOUNDS.)

Once you've gotten to a place (with a new therapist) where it can't hurt you any more if they spew their crazy, then it may be possible for you to rekindle those relationships, on your terms. But right now things are not on your terms and are going nowhere fast, so you have to break the cycle and just stop responding.

ETA and it's not fair at all, and that sucks, and I'm so sorry.

• Options
    Inkdancer said:
    So sorry Novella. Like other posters said, you need to be done with your sister. That's it. If she ever wants to appologize maybe you'll talk to her again, but do not make the first move. 

Same with your mom. Your parents enable your sister, so they don't deserve your company either. They clearly picked sides (or at least your Mom), so let them have that side. 

Personally, I wouldn't invite them to the wedding either (I'm assuming your parents are not paying?)

This may have been asked before, but why don't you and your FI elope?
    I would agree with this but honestly, Novella and all the other wonderful people in her life shouldn't be punished because her mom and sister are being assbutts. Her FI's family sounds pretty awesome, and I'm sure her friends want to be at the wedding too.
    I've been thinking a lot about eloping, but I'm afraid that might be a decision I'll always regret. I always wanted the (somewhat) traditional wedding with my friends and family there (as in relatives, obviously right now I wouldn't mind if immediate family was far far far away on my wedding day). I don't want to feel like I got screwed out of something I really wanted just because my psycho sister tormented me into canceling it. 
  • Options
    KatieinBklnKatieinBkln member
    First Answer First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its
    edited December 2014
    UPDATE:

So my sister ended up responding, with one of the longest, most vile, most hate-filled e-mails I've ever seen. (And none of you are surprised). She made it clear that she is "not sorry for her words" (all those insults and nasty names she called me) because she was "just being honest." 

It seemed like a lot of her rage was coming from the fact that I hadn't been letting her control my wedding. Well, how dare I. And also because her boyfriend told her to be mad at me. So, there's that. 

She then reiterated several times that my entire family hates me and they all think I'm a terrible person so it's all of them against me, and they now know I've been a terrible person my whole life, etc etc (which she also repeated several times during her original drunken tirade while my mom sat there and let her say that). 

She also said several things that made it very clear that my mom has been talking trash about me to my sister. How lovely. 

So, there. I got my closure. I'm done now. 

I cried hysterically for a while and asked FI several times if I'm a terrible person. Of course he kept saying no, and I know really that the answer is no, but my sister has always had a way of getting into my head like that and making me doubt myself because she always insults me in a way that the insults are coming from EVERYONE, not just her (Like when we were kids: "Everyone thinks you're ugly. All your friends told me they don't even like you" etc etc). Didn't sleep last night. Now I feel like a zombie. 

But honestly, I feel better. I'm still mad. I still think she's a crazy raving bitch. But like I said, I got my closure and now I'm done. No need to waste anymore time on her. Thanks again for all the advice and support. You guys have been a huge help. 
    Oh honey. I am so sorry that you read that garbage, but I AM glad that you now have proof beyond a reasonable doubt that your sister is NEVER going to have a good relationship with you. Not only because she refuses to, but, I would hope, because you have enough self-respect to never engage with a person who speaks that way to you ever again.

Please, please block her email, her phone, unfriend her, the whole nine yards. You do not need to subject yourself to her communication ever again. If this means no holidays at home, then my vote is for you and your loving, kind FI to stay home and start making your own traditions. 

If your mom or dad ask why, you are welcome to forward this email, but with the caveat that you will not be discussing it any further--you are simply showing them the straw that broke your back.

Again, I am so sorry this is happening to you, but please know: it is a thing that is happening because your family is mentally ill. That doesn't mean you can't feel sorry for them (like, someday...wayyyy down the road) but it does mean that they are not healthy people for you to be around at the moment (possibly ever). They are broken, which is sad and all, but you are by NO MEANS obligated to break yourself, too.

Hugs, hugs, hugs.
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • Options
    Having been on the other side of the married bridge, I now know I'd be just as happy if we'd eloped. I always assumed I'd have a wedding with everyone we knew, and that's what we did and it was great. But if I had made the decision to elope, it's true what people say on here- we'd still be just as married. 

My family also is crazy (nothing like yours) and I have strongly distanced myself from them since the wedding, which they were nothing short of awful about. IDK if it would be comforting to you, but I think of H's family as my new one. I changed my name and haven't looked back. 

Hugs. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards