Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Honeymoon registry-still tacky?

Re: Honeymoon registry-still tacky?

• Options
    edited September 2015
    Perfectly acceptable and reasonable to have a honeymoon registry assuming your wedding is taking place after 1920.

Otherwise agree with other posters here.
  • Options
    Whomp, Whomp
  • Options
    @perdj182XXXX Really! I am a bit surprised with that. Most stores are pretty good about returns, particularly since you can say, "Here is my registry- note that I have received two of the same items because one wasn't scanned from the registry". Guess it depends on what store you deal with. 

We went with BB&B and they mentioned any returns are not a big deal.

We had a larger registry and got mostly cash gifts. To some degree, know your crowd. If you know your family is big into gifts, then I would go bigger with the registry. My family gives a lot of cash gifts in general (birthdays, etc). But back to the original post of a HM registry- having one still won't stop guests who want to buy you physical gifts from buying that either. 
  • Options

Just jumping in to add...

...yes, if you want money, just have a small registry.  HOWEVER, if you only have a small registry, you probably shouldn't have a shower (unless the registry is large enough to cover shower gifts).  You should not expect cash shower gifts.  Showers are for physical gifts.  So if you invite 30 people to a shower, and your registry only has 10 items on it...you're likely going to get some random boxed gifts.  as a guest to that shower, I'd be really annoyed to hop on the registry and see that everything was already gone because it wasn't large enough to accommodate the shower guests.

honeymoon registries are always tacky, but I also want to point out that the excuse "we could use money for our honeymoon" isn't a good one...especially if you're planning to book the honeymoon in anticipation of receiving cash gifts.  yes, with a small registry most people will assume you want cash, but you never actually know what you're going to get until you have that cash in hand.  if you need money to pay for your honeymoon, I would advise not booking said honeymoon until after the wedding is over, so you know how much money you have to spend.  nothing worse than starting your married life with a mountain of debt that you went into over an unnecessary vacation.

• Options
    Tacky is subjective.  Simple as that.

Perfectly fine to do whatever type of registry feels right for you. 

• Options

*BOX BOX BOX*

It is rude to set up a registry that decives the people gifting you. 

• Options

NO. A honeymoon registry is RUDE, and a total breach of etiquette, which is NOT subjective.

Lurkers - there are people on here with very poor manners. Be wary of the (generally unpopular) advice that you can do whatever you want because it is "your day". You may as well go out panhandling on the side of the freeway. Or in this case, at the end of your friend's block.
  • Options
    I feel like wedding guests who are ok with honeymoon registries don't actually understand how they work. For example, I just went to a wedding that had a honeymoon registry, and my mom bought the couple a "train ticket" off of their list. She thought she was actually buying them a real, physical train ticket that they would use on their honeymoon, which she thought was really cool. I then explained to her that, no, she didn't actually buy them a train ticket. They listed "train tickets" as something they needed for their honeymoon. I told her that the money she gave them just went into an online account and that the website would likely take 3% of what she gave them. She was quite disappointed by that.  
  • Options
    I feel like wedding guests who are ok with honeymoon registries don't actually understand how they work. For example, I just went to a wedding that had a honeymoon registry, and my mom bought the couple a "train ticket" off of their list. She thought she was actually buying them a real, physical train ticket that they would use on their honeymoon, which she thought was really cool. I then explained to her that, no, she didn't actually buy them a train ticket. They listed "train tickets" as something they needed for their honeymoon. I told her that the money she gave them just went into an online account and that the website would likely take 3% of what she gave them. She was quite disappointed by that.  
    Yes!!!

I had no clue how they worked either until I read the details on this board.

One of my coworkers has a honey fund for home improvements (tools, labor, etc.) They don't even own a home, they live in an apartment. They set up the honey fund for whenever they buy a home in the "future". Huge scam to me. 

• Options
    I have just as much right to say it's ok and acceptable based on my experience and view on the world as you do to say it's tacky and rude.

Speaking of rude, alot of you seem to think people who set up a Hmoon registry are out to "scam" their wedding guests.  Classy attitude.
  • Options
    Pupatella said:
    Yes!!!

One of my coworkers has a honey fund for home improvements (tools, labor, etc.) They don't even own a home, they live in an apartment. They set up the honey fund for whenever they buy a home in the "future". Huge scam to me. 
    That's not a "honey fund", it is literally the online equivalent of a tin cup.  SO gross.  Even referring to it as a "honey fund" is disingenuous b/c it makes it sound like you are giving them $ for the actual honey moon.  You can't have a "honeymoon" fund for home improvements.  Ugh.  Just no.  
  • Options
    I have just as much right to say it's ok and acceptable based on my experience and view on the world as you do to say it's tacky and rude.

Speaking of rude, alot of you seem to think people who set up a Hmoon registry are out to "scam" their wedding guests.  Classy attitude.
    Ugh, not this again.

No one is threatening your rights to do or say something tacky and rude b/c you don't think it is.  We are just pointing out what etiquette (good manners) dictates and that is that it's rude to ask for money.  Period.  Simply b/c you don't know something is rude, doesn't mean that it isn't.  

Also, no one is deliberately accusing people who set up a HM registry of scamming their guests intentionally.  Sharing information about how the system works does not equal an accusation.  In fact, I think a lot of people here appreciate learning that information.  I personally contributed to two HM funds in the past, unwittingly knowing that I was NOT in fact buying the couple surf lessons and pool side drinks.  I'm HAPPY that the "classy" posters here pointed that out to me.  They provided information, I processed it, and now I use it to make decisions.  It's called learning.  

Oh, and here's a great article on being "entitled to your opinion":  http://theconversation.com/no-youre-not-entitled-to-your-opinion-9978
    ::raises hand::  Count me among the people who thought a HM registry actually paid for certain items related to the honeymoon (cabana, dinner, etc.).  When I found out that it's really the price of the thing minus whatever "service fee," I decided to cut out the middle man and just give cash.  That way, the couple gets my whole gift, not 93% (or however much) of it. 

Also, tacky and rude are not synonymous.  Tacky is a matter of opinion--someone may find my outfit tacky, but it's a victimless crime.  Rude is treating others poorly, which good people should (presumably) want to avoid.  I don't care about the former (except for maybe a snarky aside here or there), but the latter is important. 
  • Options
    Pupatella said:
    Yes!!!

That's not a "honey fund", it is literally the online equivalent of a tin cup.  SO gross.  Even referring to it as a "honey fund" is disingenuous b/c it makes it sound like you are giving them $ for the actual honey moon.  You can't have a "honeymoon" fund for home improvements.  Ugh.  Just no.  
    Ha exactly!! Now that I know how it works, it's even more ridiculous. I really wish I could share this with you so you could see what I'm seeing. They are asking their guests for almost $20k on their honeyfund for "home repairs, labor, tools, and supplies". No no no no no.

• Options

Actually, no. Tacky is subjective and a matter of opinion. You can be of the opinion that rose gold is tacky while plastic shoes are not if that's what you desire. 

Rude is not subjective. Rude is the opposite of etiquette. Cash registries and honeymoon registries are violations of etiquette and therefore factually rude. Whether something is rude is not a matter of opinion. 

You may be willing to accept that level of rude, but that doesn't change the fact that it is rude. I'm ok with my nephews' loud burping, but I realize that my personal acceptance has not somehow changed the rules of table etiquette. 

Yes, you have every right to say that honeymoon registries are not rude, but it's as absurd as you saying that the sun revolves around the earth. It's simply not true, and people are going to correct you. 
    Your logic has no place here!
  • Options
    Where does it say it's against etiquette?  

Not trying to start a fight here but don't get the hostility about this - if someone wants to do a Hmoon registry, why pass judgment?  

Are you tracking all your wedding gifts to make sure people don't return them & "scam" you for store credit?  Do you take notes of etiquette violations at other people's special day?  Feel sorry for people with this attitude.

• Options
    Wow - relax.

Read your post and tell me who sounds like the a-hole.
  • Options
    Sounds like you need a vacation - if you'd like I'd be happy to set up a honeymoon fund for you. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards