Wedding Etiquette Forum

Bridal Party Dates at Head Table?

Re: Bridal Party Dates at Head Table?

• aurianna said:
    Probably beating a dead horse, but can we all quit acting like a head table is some long-standing tradition that people have been doing forever and that sweetheart tables are some new-fangled contraption that hipsters invented last week? 

Head tables are a trend from the 80's that just won't die. Sweetheart tables, king tables, and sitting with family existed back then too. 

Heh... and let's pretend that they didn't exist back then. If OP wants to do things exactly like they've been done since the 80s, maybe her BP looks like this:

• aurianna said:

Probably beating a dead horse, but can we all quit acting like a head table is some long-standing tradition that people have been doing forever and that sweetheart tables are some new-fangled contraption that hipsters invented last week? 

Head tables are a trend from the 80's that just won't die. Sweetheart tables, king tables, and sitting with family existed back then too. 

Heh... and let's pretend that they didn't exist back then. If OP wants to do things exactly like they've been done since the 80s, maybe her BP looks like this:

*Shiver*

These look like my Aunts' weddings. Where are all the hats? Those white mesh hats were big in the late 70s and early 80s weddings too.
  • Probably beating a dead horse, but can we all quit acting like a head table is some long-standing tradition that people have been doing forever and that sweetheart tables are some new-fangled contraption that hipsters invented last week? 

*Shiver* These look like my Aunts' weddings. Where are all the hats? Those white mesh hats were big in the late 70s and early 80s weddings too.

• My cousins on the right were ring bearers / jr bridesmaids at our cousin's wedding in the mid-80s.

(I'm the one on the left in the yellow dress w hearts)

• Probably beating a dead horse, but can we all quit acting like a head table is some long-standing tradition that people have been doing forever and that sweetheart tables are some new-fangled contraption that hipsters invented last week? 

*Shiver* These look like my Aunts' weddings. Where are all the hats? Those white mesh hats were big in the late 70s and early 80s weddings too.

Yes! We have a photo just like this of my mom in her bridesmaid bonnet for my aunt's wedding. Well, like this, but without the hand holding.
  • If this post was such a waste of time, then why did you all constantly participate?
  • BTW, this is how I asked:
  • If this post was such a waste of time, then why did you all constantly participate?

For the lurkers to learn from your mistake!
  • **name was changed intentionally
  • Going back to tacky old wedding things ... my mom was in a wedding in the 70s where all the bridesmaids wore a little hat and veil. So ugly.
  • If I were to do a sweetheart table and sit the BP elsewhere, that's two extra tables on the floor which equals tighter passthroughs and two more center pieces (and those are not cheap). I am keeping the comfort of my guests in mind, as well as my budget.
  • geebee908geebee908 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2015
    So the only reason is you think it's odd to do it another way because you've never seen it before. I'm going to echo a PP and challenge you to ask the SOs of the wedding party what seating option they would prefer. It's their opinions that ultimately matter if you want to be a good host. If they say they'd rather sit at a table away from their SO, you have my blessing to have a WP-only head table.
  • If I were to do a sweetheart table and sit the BP elsewhere, that's two extra tables on the floor which equals tighter passthroughs and two more center pieces (and those are not cheap). I am keeping the comfort of my guests in mind, as well as my budget.
    Clearly you don't give a shit about your guests' comfort, since you're separating SOs in the BP.  They are guests too, or did you forget that when you made them into props?  

• And don't give budget as an excuse.  There are a million ways to host well while still staying within budget.  To say otherwise is a fucking copout.  

If you just put the two groomsmen's dates at your head table with the rest of your bridal party instead then you wouldn't need two more tables.
    In fact, it would make the other part of the room even less crowded!
    Problem solved! You're welcome.

I literally laughed out loud at this.

You said yourself that most of the people in your wedding party are couples, so you're looking at having 2-3 extra people at your table. Why is this so hard to understand?
  • Wow. Looks like a lot of you have a ton of time
    To waste in this post. I'll just keep feeding you and see how long this will go before you tire.
  • You all are acting like I wasn't going to invite their SO.

So, for real, your layout can't be done with two more regular tables minus one long table?

And what were you doing to decorate said head table if two more centerpieces are just, le sigh, too expensive?

Look, if your bridesmaids want to feel all exclusive and special by being on display, again after the ceremony, and that's more important to them than their dates, then none of us can help you.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards