Wedding Woes

Confessions

Re: Confessions

• Friendly PSA - if you know debt collectors are calling your number trying to reach the old subscriber, it's in your interest to a) tell them the number no longer belongs to the person they're trying to reach and b) specifically tell them to add you/that number to their Do Not Call list. Any further calls from that particular company to find that particular subscriber at your number would be a violation of the fair debt collections act and you could actually collect damages (so long as you continued to clearly document further received calls). 
    Depends on where you live.
    I've had clients who get calls regarding someone else and many don't care and will keep calling until they get threatened with calling cops for harassment {many walk the line in general}

Also apparently the DNC list in Canada sucks :(
    It sucks in the US too. It only prohibits sales calls. It does not keep people with nonprofits, political campaigns, surveys and basically anything else that's not sales from calling you. It's really stupid. My parents have a land line on the DNC list and still get calls all the time from political campaigns. It annoys them to no end. And because they live in Alaska, they occasionally get calls late at night while they're sleeping from idiotic companies who don't understand how time zones work. 
  • Friendly PSA - if you know debt collectors are calling your number trying to reach the old subscriber, it's in your interest to a) tell them the number no longer belongs to the person they're trying to reach and b) specifically tell them to add you/that number to their Do Not Call list. Any further calls from that particular company to find that particular subscriber at your number would be a violation of the fair debt collections act and you could actually collect damages (so long as you continued to clearly document further received calls). 
    Depends on where you live.
    I've had clients who get calls regarding someone else and many don't care and will keep calling until they get threatened with calling cops for harassment {many walk the line in general}

Also apparently the DNC list in Canada sucks :(
    It sucks in the US too. It only prohibits sales calls. It does not keep people with nonprofits, political campaigns, surveys and basically anything else that's not sales from calling you. It's really stupid. My parents have a land line on the DNC list and still get calls all the time from political campaigns. It annoys them to no end. And because they live in Alaska, they occasionally get calls late at night while they're sleeping from idiotic companies who don't understand how time zones work. 

And it's not like there are any consequences to companies who completely ignore the Do Not Call List.  Most of them run their operations outside of the U.S. anyway.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Confession - I judge people who go on vacation and eat at boring regular old chain restaurants.

A FB friend of mine is in NOLA. And he checked in at Olive Garden. And I am sad.

(I do understand that some people are picky or have allergies. I get that it's an irrational irritation of mine.)

I'm the same way! People who go to foreign countries and want to eat American food irritate me. For me, food is part of the cultural experience.

I had a friend in HS who went to Russia for 2 weeks.  One of her complaints was there was "nothing good to eat there/all the food was gross" and most of what she ate was bread.  She was really excited when they went near the McDonald's in Moscow, so she could finally get a meal she wanted, smh.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Confession - I judge people who go on vacation and eat at boring regular old chain restaurants.

A FB friend of mine is in NOLA. And he checked in at Olive Garden. And I am sad.

(I do understand that some people are picky or have allergies. I get that it's an irrational irritation of mine.)

I'm the same way! People who go to foreign countries and want to eat American food irritate me. For me, food is part of the cultural experience.
    I'm the same way - with the exception of when I'm traveling by myself - and then my anxiety kicks in and I just stick with what's close to my hotel. And if that's a chain, I'm bummed, but I'm safe, ya know?

We prefer to eat at local places too when we travel, but I will admit that after 2-3 weeks of travel, a cheeseburger from Hard Rock or some other chain can be damn good.  And we always stop at Cheesecake Factory when we can, cos we don't have them up in Canada

• Cheesecake Factory is REALLY good.  Even in other states. 
    We are getting a Cheesecake Factory in Toronto. I have plans to go with a couple of girlfriends for a girls night, and I don’t care! 

I had a friend in HS who went to Russia for 2 weeks.  One of her complaints was there was "nothing good to eat there/all the food was gross" and most of what she ate was bread.  She was really excited when they went near the McDonald's in Moscow, so she could finally get a meal she wanted, smh.
    Oh good lord! That is what gives Americans such a bad reputation! My son spent a semester in Russia - started cooking Russian food before he went! He lived with a family and gained 25 pounds. The "mom" was happy he would eat everything she cooked! The only thing he wasn't terribly fond of was jellied beef tongue (I think). He did like 

I completely understand wanting a burger when returning home @WinstonsGirl. I'm just talking about while in other countries refusing to eat the local food and searching our McD's.
  •  

. I'm just talking about while in other countries refusing to eat the local food and searching our McD's.
    that is my brother. He is a super picky eater and when he and dad go to Scotland for their golf vacations he's always looking for that type of stuff. I think they usually do go to some local spots and my brother probably just eats nothing unless they have a hamburger on the menu

I try not to, but Canada doesn't have Olive Garden :')
  • Cheesecake Factory is REALLY good.  Even in other states. 
    We are getting a Cheesecake Factory in Toronto. I have plans to go with a couple of girlfriends for a girls night, and I don’t care! 
    WE ARE!?
    M wanted to go to a restaurant in Toronto anyways, and now it sounds like we have to go lol

I give a pass for chain places that are not in one's normal territory ;), lol.

When I visit CA, I have to get fried zucchini with ranch at Carl's Jr.  I also need a stop at El Pollo Loco.  They are a fast food chain, but have seasoned, baked chicken that I really like.

Speaking of, and this irritates me.  You can't throw a rock in NOLA without hitting a fried chicken place.  But a quick take-out option for big flavor, baked chicken?  Nope.  Nowhere.  The only place I know of is in the aforementioned Kenner (airport town).  There is a ff place that sells Peruvian-style baked chicken that is delish.  But that's 30 minutes away :(.

To my fellow New Orleanians...put the batter down!  Baked chicken is so good, too.  Let Boston Market or El Pollo Loco into your heart.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @mrsconn23 I'm sort of like your H, I hate the super $$$ places where you don't even get enough to eat. Or like tapas places, fun to try once, but its so expensive to actually feel full and there is no way my H would be full.

@kimmiinthemitten I'm the same on Cheesecake Factory. We order in there at work a lot for meetings since it is right by work, but I can't say I love it and it is overpriced for American food. I do like their cheesecake though so I'm ok when we order in so I can get a slice too.

I give a pass for chain places that are not in one's normal territory ;), lol.

When I visit CA, I have to get fried zucchini with ranch at Carl's Jr.  I also need a stop at El Pollo Loco.  They are a fast food chain, but have seasoned, baked chicken that I really like.

Speaking of, and this irritates me.  You can't throw a rock in NOLA without hitting a fried chicken place.  But a quick take-out option for big flavor, baked chicken?  Nope.  Nowhere.  The only place I know of is in the aforementioned Kenner (airport town).  There is a ff place that sells Peruvian-style baked chicken that is delish.  But that's 30 minutes away :(.

To my fellow New Orleanians...put the batter down!  Baked chicken is so good, too.  Let Boston Market or El Pollo Loco into your heart.

Is that the restaurant in Breaking Bad?
  • snip

A few years back DH and I went to Galveston and asked someone where the best seafood restaurant was. The place we were pointed to had EVERYTHING battered and fried. Everything! I tried to balance out the fried with a healthy side of tomato and that came smothered in cheese. 

I love me batter and cheese, but it was just too much. Live and learn! 

• Confession:  I don't understand the Cheesecake Factory love.  I eat there on occasion if we're at the mall and it's happy hour and that's it.  It's meh to me.

But I also hate chain restaurants all the time. 

STIB!
    I totally agree. I can't stand chain restaurants. Any meal I've had at one is just blah. I don't get it. 
    But I'm also lucky to live in an area where there are tons of non-chain restaurants and they are good. 
    What really drives me crazy is when people visit NY and eat at chains. 

I also try to eat local food whenever I travel. I will try anything once. 
  • Yeah - I'm not a big fan of the chains either.  When I was a younger teen / young 20s and didn't know better I dug them.   Now I really try to stay away unless I'm in a place like an airport or I'm with the kiddos.    I may break Chiquita into the Olive Garden but only because it's a step up from Panera in terms of service and still food she will eat and it's in the mall area.

When I'm seeking food out with DH, I want good food that was made when I ordered it and not reheated in a microwave.
  • Confession:  I don't understand the Cheesecake Factory love.  I eat there on occasion if we're at the mall and it's happy hour and that's it.  It's meh to me.

STIB!
    I totally agree. I can't stand chain restaurants. Any meal I've had at one is just blah. I don't get it. 
    But I'm also lucky to live in an area where there are tons of non-chain restaurants and they are good. 

Confession: My one GF and I do chain restaurants when we go out for 3 reasons: 1) we're cheap and I usually have a coupon (or can get one from the apps I have); 2) they are usually really quick with service; 3) they are close to other things we can get done because they're usually in a big box plaza. 

When FI and I go out with DS or our parents or on our own, we always go to a local haunt within walking distance. 
  • I hired my graphic designer to create a new logo for the community center.

He sent us three really cool designs, that incorporate the Philly Pride flag into the design.  My ED just sent me the most stupid fucking critique I've ever read (all of the stripes need to be equal length/thickness so as to not piss anyone off) and I'm so pissed about it.  It's going to screw up the logos and this is literally someone looking for something to be pissed about.  And yeah, I can go all into intent matters, but so does fucking design.

• edited April 2018
    Confession:  I don't understand the Cheesecake Factory love.  I eat there on occasion if we're at the mall and it's happy hour and that's it.  It's meh to me.

STIB!

Confession: My one GF and I do chain restaurants when we go out for 3 reasons: 1) we're cheap and I usually have a coupon (or can get one from the apps I have); 2) they are usually really quick with service; 3) they are close to other things we can get done because they're usually in a big box plaza. 

When FI and I go out with DS or our parents or on our own, we always go to a local haunt within walking distance. 
    Yeah, that still doesn't make sense to me. All of our local non-chain places either have early dinner specials, or weekly deals on certain days. Do other areas really not have this?? Seems like a common thing. Even near my parents who live in a not densely populated area have family owned restaurants that have coupons and specials. 

I've also never noticed that chains have faster service. Maybe your food will come out a little faster because it's just being heated in a microwave. 

Edit: post was cutoff
  • TrixieJessTrixieJess member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2018
    Confession:  I don't understand the Cheesecake Factory love.  I eat there on occasion if we're at the mall and it's happy hour and that's it.  It's meh to me.

STIB!

Yeah, that still doesn't make sense to me. All of our local non-chain places either have early dinner specials, or weekly deals on certain days. Do other areas really not have this?? Seems like a common thing. Even near my parents who live in a not densely populated area have family owned restaurants that have coupons and specials. 

I've also never noticed that chains have faster service. Maybe your food will come out a little fast
    Not here. If they do, they are usually after 9pm or 10pm during the week, that's usually when we're already headed home. Where I am, all the chain restaurants are in the suburbs in big box plazas. I only have one friend that I go there with and that's because usually we are running errands at the same time in the big box stores, ie Michaels, Costco, Dollarama etc. 

ETA: as for faster service, I can actually answer for that as I used to work for SIRcorp which is the main chain restaurant company. Wait staff actually have to have tables turned over within a certain amount of time at those restaurants so your food and drink delivery has to happen within a certain time period. When I worked for two of those restaurants, I saw really good waitstaff let go for letting tables linger. 
  • 100% should get a pass for a chain not in your area!
    @mrsconn23, yes with expensive gourmet food.  It's never enough!
    And while yes, TCF is over priced, I do like the flavor and variety of the food.  And the low carb cheesecake cannot be replicated at home.  It. just. cannot.

• I give a pass for chain places that are not in one's normal territory ;), lol.

Is that the restaurant in Breaking Bad?

I don't know, I've never seen Breaking Bad.  It's a typical looking fast food place layout.  It's a decent sized chain, but they are only in CA, AZ, TX, UT.  I just looked it up, lol. 

snip

A few years back DH and I went to Galveston and asked someone where the best seafood restaurant was. The place we were pointed to had EVERYTHING battered and fried. Everything! I tried to balance out the fried with a healthy side of tomato and that came smothered in cheese. 

I love me batter and cheese, but it was just too much. Live and learn! 

Yes!  I had an experience like that on the North Carolina coast.  Before I lived in NOLA.

It was a nice looking restaurant and I was expecting the menu to be more grilled/baked fish as opposed to fried.  I was wrong.  Everything on the menu was fried.  I placed my order and asked the server if it was possible to have the fish baked instead of fried.

She looked at me like I'd suddenly sprouted two heads and here was her response.  Please be sure to read it with the thick, Southern accent that she had, "Not fried!?  Weellll.  I guess."  

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Confession -
    Currently judging Bath & Body Works.
    They have an avocado candle. Specifically called "avocado coconut"

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy avocados but this may be a tad too far :|

STIB!

I've also never noticed that chains have faster service. Maybe your food will come out a little fast
    Not here. If they do, they are usually after 9pm or 10pm during the week, that's usually when we're already headed home. Where I am, all the chain restaurants are in the suburbs in big box plazas. I only have one friend that I go there with and that's because usually we are running errands at the same time in the big box stores, ie Michaels, Costco, Dollarama etc. 

ETA: as for faster service, I can actually answer for that as I used to work for SIRcorp which is the main chain restaurant company. Wait staff actually have to have tables turned over within a certain amount of time at those restaurants so your food and drink delivery has to happen within a certain time period. When I worked for two of those restaurants, I saw really good waitstaff let go for letting tables linger. 
    It looks like SIRcorp is just for Canadian restaurants, and maybe 1 in Buffalo? My experience with chains has been the opposite, last when I was dragged to PF Changs, and then Bonefish. Very slow service, dishes not cleared, waiting for the check for a long time.  

STIB!

It looks like SIRcorp is just for Canadian restaurants, and maybe 1 in Buffalo? My experience with chains has been the opposite, last when I was dragged to PF Changs, and then Bonefish. Very slow service, dishes not cleared, waiting for the check for a long time.  
    I think that there was/is a Jack Astor's in Buffalo. They are the major purveyor of all the big chain restaurants in Ontario. You can't throw a stone without hitting one of their restaurants and they have really strict rules when you work for them (which is why I didn't last long). 

STIB!

I think that there was/is a Jack Astor's in Buffalo. They are the major purveyor of all the big chain restaurants in Ontario. You can't throw a stone without hitting one of their restaurants and they have really strict rules when you work for them (which is why I didn't last long). 
    I can confirm this is true; it's in the mall just outside of the city.