Wedding Woes

Confessions

Re: Confessions

• @short+sassy  NOLA is on my list of go to places, but serious question - is there a lot of spice in the food there? I've heard both sides, but always from travelers and not from natives :\ 

You often heard the words Cajun or Creole used to describe Louisiana dishes.  Here is a bit of food/culture history.  Though, keep in mind, that people (even here) will sometimes use the words Cajun and Creole interchangeably, when they really shouldn't, imho.

Cajuns -- These were the folks who migrated from present day Nova Scotia to settle in the swamps of Southern Louisiana.  Overall, they did not live in city of NOLA.  They were poor and lived off the land.  And they spiced their s**t up!!!  To make the food more palatable.

Creoles -- By definition, a Creole is someone of French citizenry who was born in a French colony.  So, originally, it didn't necessarily refer to someone from NOLA.  But now that word is fairly synonymous with this area.

The Creoles immigrated here directly from France.  They largely settled in the city and were often people of means.  They brought their French cooking with them and incorporated it with local meats and ingredients.  Traditionally, Creole dishes wouldn't usually be spicy and would be a lot of butter and/or cream sauces.    

Funny story, way back when I was in NOLA, I found a children's book written in Cajun patois that I bought for my little brother because when you read it out loud, you sounded like our PM at the time Jean Chretien. 

Back in my single days, I went on a dinner date with a guy.  In the typical first date "getting to know you" convo, he proudly told me, "I'm Cajun!  But I'm REAL Cajun.  My family came from (somewhere in Canada) in the early 1800s.  Not France or Spain, pfft."  He literally made the "pfft" sound, lol.

More fun, historical facts.  After this area was sold to the U.S. in the Louisiana Purchase, even for the next few generations, the French and the Americans did not mix unless it was for business.   In the upper class Creole families, if your child married an American, that was a scandal!!!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Or coming to New England and going to (I can't even say it) Red Lobster. 

My legit fave soup is New England Clam Chowder. I know it's nothing like the real deal, but I pretend it is :')
  • lovesclimbinglovesclimbing member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited April 2018
    mrsconn23 said:
    mrsconn23 said:
    Re: eating locally on vacation. 

When we went to Maui, the friends we went with live in San Diego and they are foodies.   I am adventurous enough, but decide pretty quickly what is *not* for me (like I tried marrow not too long ago and that's a 'hell no', but at least I know now).  DH is...not interested in high-end cuisine, because it's $$ and he never feels fulfilled.  But he was a good sport in Maui.  We found a couple places that weren't too expensive and you got a decent amount of food for what you ordered. 

Our last meal in Maui, we went to this restaurant at a farm. Our friends wanted to order a charcuterie board.  It was $$$ and when it came out, it was literally 1 piece of each meat and cheese and like, 4 crackers.  And then the portions of lunch were small as well.  We paid since our friends picked up other tabs on the trip.

I was fine with what I got for lunch, but as soon as our friends dropped us off at the airport DH made a beeline for a TGI Fridays type place to get a burger.  He had so much rage about the expensive charcuterie board. 

I found his anger at the charcuterie board hilarious. It's now a running joke between us.  I always point one out if we're at a restaurant now and ask if we're going to order it.  :D 
    I agree you don't have to eat stuff just because it is local - but at least you tried it and knew you didn't like it.  As for foodie gourmet expensive stuff - yep I'm right there with you. I've had plenty of local meals that aren't like that though.
    Oh for sure.  He'll try new places, but if it seems 'too foodie' to him...he might turn his nose up;)  I have no issue with going out with my friends or sisters if I do want to try something out. 

If my plate looks too much like a work of art, I have gone to the wrong restaurant, lol.

Do not serve me pretty dots and swirls of food.  Do not turn real food into foam.

I do like charcuterie plates, though ;)!  But they do seem to often be on the stingy side.  Every once in awhile, I'll go crazy at Sam's Club.  Pick up some of their "fancy" Italian deli meats and some interesting sounding cheeses...and make my own charcuterie plate.

Haha, have you ever heard the Ray Stevens' song, Gourmet Restaurant? It's hilarious. My family loves that song and quotes it frequently. "They brought it and heck, it was still on FAHR" and regarding rare meat, "He wasn't even hurt real bad. A couple a bandaids and he'd be back out grazing."  

ETA: 

Has anyone had issues with "approval" of posts? I posted this yesterday, and it said it needed to be "approved." I come back today to find it not posted and this post in draft form. I clicked post again, and it posted. 

When is the admin going to get it together?
  • @short+sassy  I didn't know there was such a difference. Actually M's family tree is part of the split in Nova Scotia - he's part Accadian
    So short version, I should look for more Creole style meals? I'm a huge pansy with heat but I can do cream and butter :D 
    But let's be real, I'll have you as my food/tour guide ;)

Of course!  I won't lead you astray.

I'm actually not that big a fan of spicy either and I find lots of great food here  just fine!  Ask my scale, lol.

Most of the traditional dishes associated with NOLA have more come from Cajun cooking.  Though many of them can go either way on the spiciness, just depends on how they're prepared.  But you are usually safe with any dish that is served with more of a butter or cream sauce.

You're pretty safe with any poboy, except for the hot sausage ones (which obviously you wouldn't order).  Poboys aren't usually spicy at all.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @short+sassy  NOLA is on my list of go to places, but serious question - is there a lot of spice in the food there? I've heard both sides, but always from travelers and not from natives :\ 

You often heard the words Cajun or Creole used to describe Louisiana dishes.  Here is a bit of food/culture history.  Though, keep in mind, that people (even here) will sometimes use the words Cajun and Creole interchangeably, when they really shouldn't, imho.

Cajuns -- These were the folks who migrated from present day Nova Scotia to settle in the swamps of Southern Louisiana.  Overall, they did not live in city of NOLA.  They were poor and lived off the land.  And they spiced their s**t up!!!  To make the food more palatable.

Creoles -- By definition, a Creole is someone of French citizenry who was born in a French colony.  So, originally, it didn't necessarily refer to someone from NOLA.  But now that word is fairly synonymous with this area.

The Creoles immigrated here directly from France.  They largely settled in the city and were often people of means.  They brought their French cooking with them and incorporated it with local meats and ingredients.  Traditionally, Creole dishes wouldn't usually be spicy and would be a lot of butter and/or cream sauces.    

Funny story, way back when I was in NOLA, I found a children's book written in Cajun patois that I bought for my little brother because when you read it out loud, you sounded like our PM at the time Jean Chretien. 

Back in my single days, I went on a dinner date with a guy.  In the typical first date "getting to know you" convo, he proudly told me, "I'm Cajun!  But I'm REAL Cajun.  My family came from (somewhere in Canada) in the early 1800s.  Not France or Spain, pfft."  He literally made the "pfft" sound, lol.

More fun, historical facts.  After this area was sold to the U.S. in the Louisiana Purchase, even for the next few generations, the French and the Americans did not mix unless it was for business.   In the upper class Creole families, if your child married an American, that was a scandal!!!

LMAO. One of the neat things I found about NOLA was how much it reminded me of Montreal and Quebec City in vibe and architecture. It's good to be reminded that the people aren't that different either :)

• ETA: 

Has anyone had issues with "approval" of posts? I posted this yesterday, and it said it needed to be "approved." I come back today to find it not posted and this post in draft form. I clicked post again, and it posted. 

Yes, that happened to me yesterday. 
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2018
    banana468 said:
    Confession:  I don't understand the Cheesecake Factory love.  I eat there on occasion if we're at the mall and it's happy hour and that's it.  It's meh to me.

But I also hate chain restaurants all the time. 

STIB!
    I totally agree. I can't stand chain restaurants. Any meal I've had at one is just blah. I don't get it. 
    But I'm also lucky to live in an area where there are tons of non-chain restaurants and they are good. 
    What really drives me crazy is when people visit NY and eat at chains. 

I also try to eat local food whenever I travel. I will try anything once. 
    A friend of mine went to Chicago for the first time a year or so go ago (which is already crazy since it's so accessible to Detroit but anyways). She was so excited and then where did she go to dinner........ Outback Steakhouse.

But...but, but...but, but, but, but, but.

Chicago has some of the best steak restaurants in the country!  Why?  WHY????

For my own reference, that would be like coming to New Orleans and going to Long John Silver's for fried seafood.

Or coming to New England and going to (I can't even say it) Red Lobster. 

I've NEVER been to Red Lobster.   

Also, like going to the New Haven area and eating at....Pizza Hut?
    Or coming to my town and pulling Michael Scott getting pizza from Sbarro  :s

• ETA: 

SITB
    Same here.

LMAO. One of the neat things I found about NOLA was how much it reminded me of Montreal and Quebec City in vibe and architecture. It's good to be reminded that the people aren't that different either :)

My cousin is married to a Spaniard and they've been out to visit us a few times.  He said NOLA is the only city he has been to that reminds him of home :).

I suppose it should!  The French Quarter almost completely burned down during the time this area was a Spanish colony.  Despite the name, almost all the historical buildings in the "French" Quarter are a Spanish architectural style.  There are only two French era buildings that survived and still exist today. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• ETA: 

It's been happening to me every day...

In fact I just tried to do it and it did it, so we'll see if it lets me post this. 
  • ETA: 

I've been getting it so much.
    If that happens, try refreshing. If it 'saved as draft' it'll pop up again and you can post.
  • ETA: 

I've been getting it so much.
    If that happens, try refreshing. If it 'saved as draft' it'll pop up again and you can post.
    I've only had it happen once before. And I forgot to come back to check if it posted, and I can't remember what thread it was so who knows if it posted. Probably not. 

Thanks!

Confession:  this is where I'm going for lunch today (it's H's favorite and really close to work).  But we're dissing travel and chain choices right......?   I'm in the clear because I'm local. 
    I'll let it slide - also because you're in a landlocked state, so it's not as easy for you to get fresh lobster ;)

Confession:  this is where I'm going for lunch today (it's H's favorite and really close to work).  But we're dissing travel and chain choices right......?   I'm in the clear because I'm local. 
    I'll let it slide - also because you're in a landlocked state, so it's not as easy for you to get fresh lobster ;)
    no, that's for sure. But it's literally 2 minutes away from work, and if you saw how slow H drives and how I only get 1 hour for lunch, you'd also give me more leeway on that too.  Seriously, I never saw anyone who drives slower than my H and it drives me INSANE.  He told me he got pulled over yesterday and I knew immediately it wasn't for speeding (he had a temp plate because he just bought a new to him car).  

no, that's for sure. But it's literally 2 minutes away from work, and if you saw how slow H drives and how I only get 1 hour for lunch, you'd also give me more leeway on that too.  Seriously, I never saw anyone who drives slower than my H and it drives me INSANE.  He told me he got pulled over yesterday and I knew immediately it wasn't for speeding (he had a temp plate because he just bought a new to him car).  
    Just reading about your H's driving gave me road rage! If he drives a foreign car I would definitely cuss him out secretly from mine if I was behind him.

Just reading about your H's driving gave me road rage! If he drives a foreign car I would definitely cuss him out secretly from mine if I was behind him.

Yeah me too. H and I generally have similar (somewhat aggressive) driving styles. Which is nice.

But he has one of those giant Sprinter vans for work and that thing is slow as shit. So he's used to driving that barge around and he drives my car all old manny and I get so inpatient. I cannot handle it.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever

Yeah me too. H and I generally have similar (somewhat aggressive) driving styles. Which is nice.

But he has one of those giant Sprinter vans for work and that thing is slow as shit. So he's used to driving that barge around and he drives my car all old manny and I get so inpatient. I cannot handle it.

In general, people drive really slow in NOLA.  It was a real rude awakening when I first moved here from the West Coast, lol.

For those of you old enough to know who Inspector Gadget is, I want a Go-Go Gadget Car Hand.  It would be a giant Mickey Mouse style hand that I could pop out from my hood and push the slow car in front of me along.

I wish I had a nickel for every time I've been driving and screamed in my head, "MOVE!  Just MOVE!"

Wedding Countdown Ticker

In general, people drive really slow in NOLA.  It was a real rude awakening when I first moved here from the West Coast, lol.

For those of you old enough to know who Inspector Gadget is, I want a Go-Go Gadget Car Hand.  It would be a giant Mickey Mouse style hand that I could pop out from my hood and push the slow car in front of me along.

I wish I had a nickel for every time I've been driving and screamed in my head, "MOVE!  Just MOVE!"

I'm from MA where, if the speed limit is 65, you're an obstacle if you're not going at least 75. 
  • @MissKittyDanger - There is still Olive Garden in Alberta.  We don't usually go, as there is better Italian food everywhere, but the line with families is at least an hour long on weekend evening dinner rush times

Let’s be honest; everything in the South is slow. Don’t even get me started on walking through a southern airport!

Let’s be honest; everything in the South is slow. Don’t even get me started on walking through a southern airport!
    It can be any airport depending on your sense of urgency!   I connected through DTW last month with a landing in terminal A and connecting in terminal C about 30 minutes apart.   As I ran in heels people looked at me like I was crazy.   I knew where I was going - GTO of my way!
  • I'm pretty sure that when we finally do move, the hardest part for me will be how slow everyone/thing is. I'm so used to rushing and being in a hurry even when I don't have to be.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever

• In general, people drive really slow in NOLA.  It was a real rude awakening when I first moved here from the West Coast, lol.

OMG, yes, lol.  The driving was just my one example.

I'm 5'0" tall, not athletic at all, and walk faster than 95% of the population here, lol.

My version of the old adage, "You can take the girl out of Southern CA, but you can't take Southern CA out of the girl."

A lot of people like a slower pace of life.  But, alas, I am not one of them.  Time is of the essence.  Go, go, go!!!

It's one of the reasons I like traveling to more hustle-bustle places.  It's relieving to suddenly have everybody else matching my pace, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @WinstonsGirl Oh there is definitely better Italian food anywhere else, but when we went we were expecting somewhat like East Side Mario's level. I was surprised, I wish we had Olive Garden :(
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Or coming to New England and going to (I can't even say it) Red Lobster. 

I'm from MA where, if the speed limit is 65, you're an obstacle if you're not going at least 75. 
    I think im this person (the obstacle) sometimes.  Driving in the city, even in my borough of Queens, you can’t really fly since there are so many pedestrians and so many cars.  Which suits me, I always leave ridiculously early so I don’t have to rush.  

So the minute I’m on the highway going out to Long Island, I feel like a nuisance. The speed limit is 55, so I go around 60-62, and I’m always shocked at the cars flying around me.  Sometimes even honking!  All I’m thinking is “JFC im not in the left lane and I’m already going over the speed limit, get off my tail!”.  But when we go up to the house in NH, my H just drives the whole way.  He says people in New England don’t have the time for me  :D
  • We have a great café in my office park and the weekly breakfast special was chilaquiles.  I decided to treat myself on Tuesday...and every other day this week. 

• Our receptionist is listening to Christian Rock and I want to stab someone. 
    I used to work with someone who did this. I used to listen to Denis Leary with my headphones and laugh, then when she would ask what I was laughing at, I'd tell her that she wouldn't find it funny, but she could look up Denis Leary. She stayed far from me at that point. 

This was the same co-worker who told me that her 15 year old daughter watched "True Blood". I asked her if she had ever watched it with her, or on her own. She told me no. I suggested that she may want to before her daughter watched another episode. She was appalled that they showed that kind of thing on tv. I said to her, "it's HBO".