Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Saturday Morning!

Re: Saturday Morning!

• Options
    J - I've been pretty strict on my fats and calories for my diet so that I could fit into my wedding dress. PB just has too much fat for that kind of "quick" slim down type of diet. It's only 2 WW points though, so it's definitely something I'm going to have more often when I start that system. 

Wrigley - that interests me too haha. I've heard that book is supposed to be pretty steamy though.
  • Options
    wrigleyville, is that your neighborhood?  My last apartment in Chicago was in Wrigleyville/Boystown - on Roscoe, between Halsted and Clark.  Man, I loved that apartment!
  • Options
    Poke, fat is GOOD FOR YOU.  If you don't get enough, it hinders your weight loss and your brain function.  Fat does not make you fat.  I promise.  EAT THE PB.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options

Poke - peanuts are "good" fats. You can definitely have a tablespoon of sugar-free or low-sugar PB for dipping apples, celery, and whatnot without feeling guilty. I love making almond PB in my food processor. Then I know exactly what's going in it.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_saturday-morning-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:17fba649-cefd-4192-acbd-ed290e7134eePost:e8e1da3a-302f-40b8-b18a-829efffa91bd">Re: Saturday Morning!</a>:
    [QUOTE]wrigleyville, is that your neighborhood?  My last apartment in Chicago was in Wrigleyville/Boystown - on Roscoe, between Halsted and Clark.  Man, I loved that apartment!
    Posted by abbalish[/QUOTE]
    Yup! I lived in Chicago during school/residency and then moved to Michigan to be with FI. I missed it, and FI loves Chicago, so I took a job there. We're in Chicago right now, actually, looking at apartments. :) Our first appt is in an hour, so we're chilling with lunch.

I love the Boystown area. We're looking in Lakeview, primarily, since FI and I love the Cubs. I wanted to check out Roscoe Village too, but he wants to stay closer to the lake/Red Line.
  • Options
    pokepoke27pokepoke27 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited May 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_saturday-morning-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:17fba649-cefd-4192-acbd-ed290e7134eePost:4ec3ac44-befd-49e1-8aa5-95e1b9238547">Re: Saturday Morning!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Poke, fat is GOOD FOR YOU.  If you don't get enough, it hinders your weight loss <strong>and your brain function</strong>.  Fat does not make you fat.  I promise.  EAT THE PB.
    Posted by J&K10910[/QUOTE]

<div>Really?? Hmm, maybe I need to up my fat intake then. I generally eat about 1100 calories per day and around 20 - 25 g of fat. I thought I was doing good, but maybe not? </div><div>
    </div><div>ETA - Wrigley - that sounds really yummy. I currently don't have a food processor, but maybe once I get settled in after I move I will have to get one. I'd love to make my own PB!</div>
  • Options
    I freaking love PB. I usually get my PB fix from the Smart Ones Peanut Butter Cup Sundaes. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_saturday-morning-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:17fba649-cefd-4192-acbd-ed290e7134eePost:4f197ceb-075f-443e-a3f7-ae0be5b63b6f">Re: Saturday Morning!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wrigley - that sounds really yummy. I currently don't have a food processor, but maybe once I get settled in after I move I will have to get one. I'd love to make my own PB!
    Posted by pokepoke27[/QUOTE]

I'll make a note to link my Pinterest later. I have the recipe for almond PB on there.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_saturday-morning-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:17fba649-cefd-4192-acbd-ed290e7134eePost:4f197ceb-075f-443e-a3f7-ae0be5b63b6f">Re: Saturday Morning!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Saturday Morning! : Really?? Hmm, maybe I need to up my fat intake then. I generally eat about 1100 calories per day and around 20 - 25 g of fat. I thought I was doing good, but maybe not?  ETA - Wrigley - that sounds really yummy. I currently don't have a food processor, but maybe once I get settled in after I move I will have to get one. I'd love to make my own PB!
    Posted by pokepoke27[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's not enough calories OR fat.  Especially if you're exercising at all.  You're doing yourself a serious disservice and will not lose weight efficiently at that intake.  Unless you're super short and don't weigh much more than 110 lbs to begin with.

• Options
    Well, I don't do much exercise AT ALL, so I thought it was better to go for fewer calories and fat. And unfortunately I do weigh more than 110 pounds LOL. I really will have to rethink how I do this. I am only truely dieting for a few more weeks before FI is here. I'm going to keep trying to keep an eye on what I eat while he and his family is here, but I am going to find it hard because they like to go out to eat a lot. 

This is why I want to join Weight Watchers. FI said we could do it together after the move, which would be a big help. And I'm totally about to have that Chobani with PB haha. 

And wrigley - I'd love that recipe. I found a wikihow on how to make PB, so variations would be lovely!
  • Options
    Rachers that really sucks! Do you have any idea what is wrong with it? I know almost nothing about cars, and any kind of car problems is almost garunteed to stress me eff out. 

Eagles - I really hate when people do that. How rude is it to stare at someones computer while they're trying to do stuff? 
  • Options
    Consistently going under about 1200 (depending on your height and weight), is going to put your body into "starvation mode."  Basically, your body is a machine and you're not fueling it properly.  It's going to hold onto anything it DOES get, and it will slow your metabolism (thus your weight loss) so that you CAN hold onto everything you're eating.

I highly recommend googling "BMR calculator", figuring that number out, and then getting your calorie target from that.

And a 30-30-40 fat-carbs-protein ratio works really well for a lot of people when you're figuring out how many of those things to eat.

• Options
    Yup.  I have a Polar F4, which is a really basic model, but it does everything I need it to, and I love it.

• Options
    J - I will definitely do that, thanks. I mean, so far I haven't noticed anything bad. I've lost about 25 pounds since I started the diet, so I didn't think I was too far off of where I was supposed to be. And yes, I wanted to fit into my dress, but more than anything I want to be healthy. 

Oh - and I did make myself some yogurt with PB and a teensy bit of honey. It's fan-freaking-tastic. 

Rach - I'm sorry, that sounds really crappy. I hope it's JUST a dead battery - that's a fairly easy fix (or so I understand).
  • Options
    I have no idea.  I got mine on Amazon.  Target might though, it's a pretty popular brand.  Whatever you end up getting, just make sure you get something with a chest strap.  The ones without suck.

• Options
    hi everyone....

need to vent quickly....

today is the only day this weekend I had for myself....yesterday after work we went out with MIL to eat (like we do every friday).  We gave her her Mother's Day gift.  Tomorrow I am going to my mom's house.  So I was looking forward to doing nothing/light cleaning today.

Instead, MIL called and said she needs to come over for me to email her resume some place.  H is taking a nap, so I have to do it. I don't want to see anyone today...I want to be taking a nap.

grrr
  • Options
    Congrats on your weight loss so far, Poke!  I mean, honestly, for a short term, quick weight dropping solution, you're probably ok...but it WILL slow down your metabolism and it will take a little while to get it going again once you switch to a more reasonable amount of calories.  If you're still losing, I probably wouldn't mess with it too much now since your wedding is in 3 weeks.  (This is NOT advice I would normally give, but I know where you're coming from.)  After the wedding, I would look into a more reasonable amount (or WW, as you plan, wiill be good) for your height and weight.  Be prepared to gain a bit at first, but then it should even out and go back down in a few weeks.

However, with your wedding in 3 weeks, you also probably don't want to lose much more weight either--or your dress will be goofy. 

• Options
    Hockey - My suggestion is to act sick when she comes over so she lets you email the resume and gets out quick ; )
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_saturday-morning-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:17fba649-cefd-4192-acbd-ed290e7134eePost:22eba3c6-9c60-4d27-a1f1-9e334af11311">Re: Saturday Morning!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Congrats on your weight loss so far, Poke!  I mean, honestly, for a short term, quick weight dropping solution, you're probably ok...but it WILL slow down your metabolism and it will take a little while to get it going again once you switch to a more reasonable amount of calories.  If you're still losing, I probably wouldn't mess with it too much now since your wedding is in 3 weeks.  (This is NOT advice I would normally give, but I know where you're coming from.)  After the wedding, I would look into a more reasonable amount (or WW, as you plan, wiill be good) for your height and weight.  Be prepared to gain a bit at first, but then it should even out and go back down in a few weeks. However, with your wedding in 3 weeks, you also probably don't want to lose much more weight either--or your dress will be goofy. 
    Posted by J&K10910[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Thanks! I'm really pleased with how it turned out. I really was uncomfortable at first with trying to design my own weight loss plan because obviously I don't know much about what I need to do, but I also didn't want to start WW here because I didn't know if my membership would transfer when I move. After what you ladies have said I think I definitely am going to want to switch to WW when I move though. I think I really need to just follow the plan the pros have come up with haha. </div><div>
    </div><div>I've actually been less strict since I reached my goal of the dress fitting. At this point I'm trying to maintain rather than lose more. 

</div>
  • Options
    phew....normally she stays and awkwardly tries to chat, but apparently she had to run to the grocery store, so she left within 5 minutes of arriving.

I wanted to do a lot of stuff today but sitting around waiting for her has killed my motivation.
  • Options
    Yeah, settling down into a comfortable chair while you wait for someone is definitely a motivation killer. You can do it though!
  • Options
    I'm with Eagles. I use My Fitness Pal to help me figure out how many calories I need, based on height, weight, and activity level. You can set it to how much you want to lose (i.e. maintain current weight, lose 1 pound per week, lose 1.5 pounds per week, etc). It will also track your exercise so you can see how many calories you're burning.

For example, let's say I need to eat 1400 calories per day to lose weight. I log all of my food and exercise. I ate 1600 calories today. Now, let's say I burned 500 calories at the gym. That puts me at 1100 calories "consumed" today, because I burned 500, so I should eat 100 calories to get to the 1200 minimum. MFP does all the math for you and makes it SO easy.

Also, remember it's a weekly thing. If you go 200 calories over your limit today, you can always subtract 200 from tomorrow or the next day (as long as you stay above 1200). Don't get trapped into thinking, "Oh, I blew it today." You can always, always adjust during the week if necessary.

Eags - I wear a heart rate monitor with a chest strap. Timex makes mine, but I can't remember which model it is. I love it. It's so much more reliable than letting MFP guess how much I've burned. When I do Turbo Jam, I burn WAY more than MFP gives me for "high impact aerobics". WAY more.
  • Options
    wrigleyvillewrigleyville member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited May 2012
    Whoa. Sorry that was so long.
  • Options
    Eags: http://www.amazon.com/Timex-T5H881-Trainer-Digital-Monitor/dp/B000P0TQC8

And with that, I have to run. Yay, apartment tours.
  • Options
    Good luck Wrigley!
  • Options
    look at j&k getting all GIS on people 

So I finished me 5k in 32 minutes and 54 seconds. I wanted to be under 30 but I will take it for my first ever run. Man alive am I sunburnt.
  • Options
    Holy cow Rosie! What a great job. I'm very impressed. And I'm sorry to hear about your sunburn.
  • Options
    Rosie that is awesome time. Way to go. I think I am going to try MFP and see if it helps me.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_saturday-morning-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:17fba649-cefd-4192-acbd-ed290e7134eePost:1e8385bc-822c-4fcd-903e-99f422cbbacc">Re: Saturday Morning!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Rosie that is awesome time. Way to go. I think I am going to try MFP and see if it helps me.
    Posted by PetalPockets2012[/QUOTE]

Hi !!  little late here.  

I started up MFP again this week. I like it and hate it at the same time.  The hate comes from seeing how bad DH's food really is. 

Like today he cooked  me breakfast in bed.  The meal was 1 scammbled egg (no milk used), 1/2 slide of american cheese on a buttered pillsbury grand homemade biscut, with 1 cup of chocolate milk.   Calories?  421.  I'm on a 1200 calorie a day program.  So that is a lot of what I'm getting.     He actually made me 2, but I decided to only have 1.  I'm so glad I did.

And he wants me to come in for dinner tonight and try some nice wines.   UGH.

I did a c25k run today to be able to gain more calories.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    oops forgot congrats Rosie.  

I started C25k this week.  Lets see if I can finish it this time.  I made it only 2 weeks last week.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards