Wedding Etiquette Forum

Irrational Fears

Re: Irrational Fears

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_irrational-fears-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:2e810a84-1aaf-464a-8228-89786bfa3793Post:1b99eed1-b297-45f8-8bff-1ea788c99176">Re: Irrational Fears</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Irrational Fears : Wow. That is the way paranoid. :-P
    Posted by cfaszews25[/QUOTE]

Heh, yeah. There is someone kind of crazy who doesn't like me and who found me on TK, so that's kind of where my head was.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • MuSu, do you have deer whistles on your car? I had them on the car before this one. Supposedly they emit some frequency that deer don't like. I dunno. You still have to  be crazy careful. They are EVERYWHERE. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_irrational-fears-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:2e810a84-1aaf-464a-8228-89786bfa3793Post:2b82c1b0-dcb3-456d-8a62-72e5b52ae9ba">Re: Irrational Fears</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Irrational Fears : And you are absolutely defenseless too! I mean you could throw some shampoo bottles at him I guess,  but you are all wet too so I'm sure any punches/kicks wouldn't land.
    Posted by ahhhitsshannyn[/QUOTE]

Exactly.  The only real defense I have in there is my pumice stone, and I don't think I could do much damage with it. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    "Halloween may have loose women scantily clad...
    But Christmas has a pregnant virgin.

Way cooler." - anna.oskar
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_irrational-fears-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:2e810a84-1aaf-464a-8228-89786bfa3793Post:697dd3be-dc6b-40d8-a09a-c8a9dd14bbd1">Re: Irrational Fears</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Irrational Fears : I have this fear. All the time. That I will come home from work and... I can't even say it. I dont' want to put that into the universe. That's something else I do. I don't like to say bad things out loud because I'm afriad that by saying them, I wll somehow cause them to happen.  And now when I get random thought in my head like, "You know, I should call Grandma today" I always immediately do it. <strong>Because one time I said, 'You know, I should visit Grandpa today' and I didn't and he died that evening. It's my only regret.</strong>

<div>Oh! That made me tear up. I'm so sorry. </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_irrational-fears-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:2e810a84-1aaf-464a-8228-89786bfa3793Post:beaff0f6-ca75-4f6c-959c-05555f3a3ca4">Re: Irrational Fears</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>I'm also afraid to be buried/cremated alive</strong>... or to wake up during an autopsy.
    Posted by Brandi0714[/QUOTE]
    I want to be cremated.  At least that way there's no chance of me being alive afterward.

Books read in 2012: 21/50

• AATB - holy crap, I didn't even know that snakes in toilets was a thing.  That is terrifying!  I'll have to add that to my list, I guess.

Worms freak me the eff out.  I won't go outside without huge boots if there are worms on the ground.

I won't look at the mirror in a dark room - afraid of Bloody Mary I guess?

When I clean my fish tank I am always irrationally scared that my fish is going to jump out and flop around all over the place.  Yuck.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_irrational-fears-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:2e810a84-1aaf-464a-8228-89786bfa3793Post:e6c267b4-55d7-40c3-bb4d-b4845951d456">Re: Irrational Fears</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Irrational Fears : Exactly.  The only real defense I have in there is my pumice stone, and I don't think I could do much damage with it. 
    Posted by adamar15[/QUOTE]

<div>On of our shower heads is detachable from the bar it's on ... I'd try to club 'em with that. But seriously, all wet and caught off guard, I'd be toast. </div>
  • Wally - I was AT that twins game, hah. Thats where I was driving to when I saw it happen. Once we parked, we got a call from my friend's mom being like OMG are you guys ok! The news had spread that fast. The game was super surreal. The cell phone coverage was really bad because SO many people were calling to check on their friends/family. The players seemed really out of it too because of what had just happened.

They didn't know at the time if the collapse was due to a terrorist attack, so they announced that the only way out of downtown was by the ONE exit that wasn't a bridge (so that they could safety check the other bridges). We wandered around downtown for like an hour after the game to avoid the inevitable clusterfuck of traffic. It was a ghost town because everyone was down at the bridge either gawking or trying to help.
  • Dear whistles? I gotta look into that.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_irrational-fears-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:2e810a84-1aaf-464a-8228-89786bfa3793Post:81454807-ad76-43bc-a7dd-f03b1388301b">Re: Irrational Fears</a>:
    [QUOTE]AATB - holy crap, I didn't even know that snakes in toilets was a thing.  That is terrifying!  I'll have to add that to my list, I guess. <strong>Worms freak me the eff out.  I won't go outside without huge boots if there are worms on the ground. </strong>I won't look at the mirror in a dark room - afraid of Bloody Mary I guess? When I clean my fish tank I am always irrationally scared that my fish is going to jump out and flop around all over the place.  Yuck.
    Posted by abbalish[/QUOTE]

<div>Holy freakin' shiiit. When it rains really hard and then all the worns come out from everywhere? Nasty, scary and just ick. Can't handle that. </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_irrational-fears-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:2e810a84-1aaf-464a-8228-89786bfa3793Post:5b5abb6b-6d5c-47a9-b6ce-b1babe13945a">Re: Irrational Fears</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wally - I was AT that twins game, hah. Thats where I was driving to when I saw it happen. Once we parked, we got a call from my friend's mom being like OMG are you guys ok! The news had spread that fast. The game was super surreal. The cell phone coverage was really bad because SO many people were calling to check on their friends/family. The players seemed really out of it too because of what had just happened. They didn't know at the time if the collapse was due to a terrorist attack, so they announced that the only way out of downtown was by the ONE exit that wasn't a bridge (so that they could safety check the other bridges). We wandered around downtown for like an hour after the game to avoid the inevitable clusterfuck of traffic. It was a ghost town because everyone was down at the bridge either gawking or trying to help.
    Posted by musicalsunlight[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I bet it was just insanely scary. H and I looked at each other and immediately said,"Do you think it's another attack?" </div><div>
    </div><div>Five years ago already. Wow. I wonder, too, how many people just disappeared after it. I mean, people that had no family to report them missing. Or that nobody knew were in the area. All so sad and scary. </div><div>
    </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_irrational-fears-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:2e810a84-1aaf-464a-8228-89786bfa3793Post:18ee08cc-f9e6-4e69-9a22-cbf1ff53b42f">Re: Irrational Fears</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Irrational Fears : Holy freakin' shiiit. When it rains really hard and then all the worns come out from everywhere? Nasty, scary and just ick. Can't handle that. 
    Posted by willywally5[/QUOTE]

Ugh, and the smell!  I have completely frozen in fear before, when I needed to cross a parking lot and all I could see in every direction was worms!

Knock on wood, but we had a big rain here about 2-3 years ago and SO many worms came up and were killed that I swear there haven't been too many around lately.
  • MuSu, my dear: 

And good news! It says they work on KANGAROOS, too! ; )
  • edited August 2012
    Yeah I have no idea if anyone went permanently missing. My grandpa is a volunteer water sheriff and he was one of the first boats on the scene. I can only imagine how freaky it was.

ETA: Thanks for the link Wally!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_irrational-fears-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:2e810a84-1aaf-464a-8228-89786bfa3793Post:c1bc4793-268b-4374-8753-d54a4fc2c2da">Re: Irrational Fears</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Irrational Fears : Ugh, and the smell!  I have completely frozen in fear before, when I needed to cross a parking lot and all I could see in every direction was worms! Knock on wood, but we had a big rain here about 2-3 years ago and SO many worms came up and were killed that I swear there haven't been too many around lately.
    Posted by abbalish[/QUOTE]

<div>Once about 15 years ago, I was coming home from a friend's house on a lake. There was a big slough across the road from the lake and there'd been a storm. For some reason FROGS came outta that slough in droves. HUNDREDS of them! And it's a main road, so people hit them with their cars. It was so gross. The road was actually slimy from frog remains. Ugh, that was nasty. Only ever saw that happen the one time. Very odd. </div>
  • Oh, I just remembered another one: parasites. I saw a documentary on parasites back in 2003, and every time I feel even the slightest weird itch/twinge/what-have-you, I immediately have a mini freak-out in my head that it's some sort of parasite living in my skin.
    25 in 2012 Reading Progress: 11/25 (44% toward goal)
    my currently-reading shelf:
    Mehgan's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
    Photobucket
    "Are you one of those vegetarian zombies that only eats grrrrrraaaaaaiiiinnnnnsssss?" -- raynes
    **FOR SALE NOW**
  • My irrational fear is someone in my closet will come out and kidnap me  when I am sleeping... Not an intruder but someone who travels through the secret world of closets.  I think I read a Stephen King story about it.  I absolutely cannot sleep with the closet open.  I know this is ridiculous, in fact I don't even believe in ghosts, but it is a irrational fear that I hold onto from my teenage years.
    Visit The Nest!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_irrational-fears-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:2e810a84-1aaf-464a-8228-89786bfa3793Post:2f24b3cc-738f-47e5-a683-f0ac582ae571">Re: Irrational Fears</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh, I just remembered another one: parasites. I saw a documentary on parasites back in 2003, and every time I feel even the slightest weird itch/twinge/what-have-you, I immediately have a mini freak-out in my head that it's some sort of parasite living in my skin.
    Posted by mehgank[/QUOTE]

<div>Oh man. Scary. Or weird bugs. Like on those Real ER-type shows where the lady come in and has bug-worm things under her scalp and everyone thought she was nuts. But she REALLY DID have bugs under her scalp! </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_irrational-fears-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:2e810a84-1aaf-464a-8228-89786bfa3793Post:697dd3be-dc6b-40d8-a09a-c8a9dd14bbd1">Re: Irrational Fears</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Irrational Fears : I have this fear. All the time. That I will come home from work and... I can't even say it. I dont' want to put that into the universe. That's something else I do. <strong>I don't like to say bad things out loud because I'm afriad that by saying them, I wll somehow cause them to happen</strong>.  And now when I get random thought in my head like, "You know, I should call Grandma today" I always immediately do it. Because one time I said, 'You know, I should visit Grandpa today' and I didn't and he died that evening. It's my only regret.

This.

The house I owned before I moved to my apartment had something always going on. I dunno, ghost, neighbothood frolics, beats me. . I would not talk about it while I was physically inside. On the few occasions that something happened when I was right there, I just went poker face (I hope) and pretended like I didn't see, didn't notice, didn't react.

I should probably have a rational fear how that reads
    ~~Mendi~~ ...Everyone has their price; mine's chocolate Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_irrational-fears-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:2e810a84-1aaf-464a-8228-89786bfa3793Post:2f24b3cc-738f-47e5-a683-f0ac582ae571">Re: Irrational Fears</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh, I just remembered another one: parasites. I saw a documentary on parasites back in 2003, and every time I feel even the slightest weird itch/twinge/what-have-you, I immediately have a mini freak-out in my head that it's some sort of parasite living in my skin.
    Posted by mehgank[/QUOTE]

Uh, yeah. I am afraid of getting a brain-eating parasite (not that irrational since my cousin died of one last year) or some other weird parasite.

Oh, and I'm also deathly scared of an alien or demon possession. Not abduction, since that would be cool. But I don't wanna be possessed and I scare myself nightly thinking a ghost has entered the bedroom.

Part of me is also afraid of going kind of crazy in the future. I live inside my head a lot and sometimes I forget to come back to reality. Or I confuse reality with fantasy. H keeps telling me to "come back" when I stare off into space for awhile and it's seriously affecting my social skills. But I like it better in my head, so we'll see what happens.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_irrational-fears-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:2e810a84-1aaf-464a-8228-89786bfa3793Post:361aa6ef-e1eb-4b87-8510-10fc0b3f5e5e">Re: Irrational Fears</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Irrational Fears : That's a big fear of mine, with hair tools, the coffee pot and iron.  I think I'm a little irrational about it, though. Luckily H leaves later than I do in the morning, so he can always double check things for me.
    Posted by ZombieNates[/QUOTE]
    There was a poster on theknot or thenest awhile back who had her dishwasher running when she left for work, and the running dishwasher somehow caused a fire and she lost her pets. It was tremendously sad. I never leave my appliances on during the day now because of that.
  • When I lived alone, I sometimes wondered if anyone ever accused me of any wrong-doing that I'd have no alibi. And thus would be easy to frame. WTF?

So irrational. Because seriously, the worst thing I've ever done is get a couple of speeding tickets and pull the 'house for sale' prank on a teacher in HS. 

Clearly, I watched WAY too much TV back then.
  • That's awful, Daff.  If I make something in the crockpot I'm terrified the whole day until I get home and see that the house hasn't burned down.
    "Halloween may have loose women scantily clad...
    But Christmas has a pregnant virgin.

Way cooler." - anna.oskar
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_irrational-fears-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:2e810a84-1aaf-464a-8228-89786bfa3793Post:f0a01db6-6696-4ffe-b3af-3161fbc49d64">Re: Irrational Fears</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Irrational Fears : Uh, yeah. I am afraid of getting a brain-eating parasite (<strong>not that irrational since my cousin died of one last year)</strong> or some other weird parasite. Oh, and I'm also deathly scared of an alien or demon possession. Not abduction, since that would be cool. But I don't wanna be possessed and I scare myself nightly thinking a ghost has entered the bedroom. Part of me is also afraid of going kind of crazy in the future. I live inside my head a lot and sometimes I forget to come back to reality. Or I confuse reality with fantasy. H keeps telling me to "come back" when I stare off into space for awhile and it's seriously affecting my social skills. But I like it better in my head, so we'll see what happens.
    Posted by Seshat411[/QUOTE]

<div>Omg, that is awful. </div><div>
    </div><div>Also, I think the fear of going a bit crazy is common among very bright people. </div><div>
    </div><div>Andplusalso, you will have PM in about a minute.</div>
  • I'm not caught up on this yet, so not sure if it's been mentioned, but I am terrified of plane bathrooms. I think I'm going to get sucked into one and tossed out of the plane or something completely insane. I will do all I can to avoid going on a plane.

Also - turkeys. I was bitten by one when I was younger at a petting zoo, and now they scare me. I always think they're looking to attack.
  • edited August 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_irrational-fears-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:2e810a84-1aaf-464a-8228-89786bfa3793Post:ddfcc07c-9f50-4251-8bc9-9675acf4e7ad">Re: Irrational Fears</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Irrational Fears : All my google searching is coming up with is Hereafter but it doesn't seem right. Plus I can't find the original publication date to see if it'd even make sense.
    Posted by lovethebeach16[/QUOTE]
    Characters' names are right, but yeah that's not it unfortunately.
  • willywally5willywally5 member
    First Comment
    edited August 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_irrational-fears-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:2e810a84-1aaf-464a-8228-89786bfa3793Post:c2817d4e-643c-4b1e-91d0-16e7403522c7">Re: Irrational Fears</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm not caught up on this yet, so not sure if it's been mentioned, but I am terrified of plane bathrooms. I think I'm going to get sucked into one and tossed out of the plane or something completely insane. I will do all I can to avoid going on a plane. Also - turkeys. I was bitten by one when I was younger at a petting zoo, and now they scare me. I always think they're looking to attack.
    Posted by Febechick[/QUOTE]

<div>Turkeys can be really mean bastards. We had one attack a police car here not too long ago! That turkey is no longer with us. </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_irrational-fears-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:2e810a84-1aaf-464a-8228-89786bfa3793Post:ecc5700f-1f3c-413a-86a0-b1551e343885">Re: Irrational Fears</a>:
    [QUOTE]That's awful, Daff.  If I make something in the crockpot I'm terrified the whole day until I get home and see that the house hasn't burned down.
    Posted by adamar15[/QUOTE]
    Yeah, I just don't run the crock pot while I'm not home. I know they're designed to do that, but I'm paranoid.

I do have the sticker for the firefighters indicating that there's a dog in the house. Hopefully if the unthinkable happens they can rescue him.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_irrational-fears-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:2e810a84-1aaf-464a-8228-89786bfa3793Post:c2817d4e-643c-4b1e-91d0-16e7403522c7">Re: Irrational Fears</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm not caught up on this yet, so not sure if it's been mentioned, but I am terrified of plane bathrooms. I think I'm going to get sucked into one and tossed out of the plane or something completely insane. I will do all I can to avoid going on a plane. <strong>Also - turkeys. I was bitten by one when I was younger at a petting zoo, and now they scare me</strong>. I always think they're looking to attack.
    Posted by Febechick[/QUOTE]

My H is the same way about geese. He's not neccessarily 'afraid' of them, but if one waddles up to him, he'd probably punch it in the face.

He also hates horses, because he was thrown when he was younger. I love them, though. The only thing I don't like about horses is their eyes. They have weird pupils and I don't like looking directly at them.
    25 in 2012 Reading Progress: 11/25 (44% toward goal)
    my currently-reading shelf:
    Mehgan's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
    Photobucket
    "Are you one of those vegetarian zombies that only eats grrrrrraaaaaaiiiinnnnnsssss?" -- raynes
    **FOR SALE NOW**
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards