Wedding Etiquette Forum

Irritations (rational or otherwise)

Re: Irritations (rational or otherwise)

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_irritations-rational-otherwise?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:45fb9697-b4a0-47eb-bd28-9241e19c9262Post:6bffe19d-7342-42a7-bb0d-416e20e2ee39">Re: Irritations (rational or otherwise)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Irritations (rational or otherwise) : Not necessarily.
    Posted by adamar15[/QUOTE]

True. I thought about that and didn't get back to edit it yet. Still though, they should be more lax, especially if you're able to get up with the work.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_irritations-rational-otherwise?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:45fb9697-b4a0-47eb-bd28-9241e19c9262Post:7d3840fa-a8ab-4f45-800d-b4606394b288">Re: Irritations (rational or otherwise)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Irritations (rational or otherwise) : I would assume that goes against university policy.
    Posted by ErinG93[/QUOTE]

<div>How so?  Stupid, yes, but teachers can pretty much design their own class.</div>
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • We had a professor who didn't require attendence, but on the first day of class calculated how much you were actually paying per lecture. Attendence stayed relatively high (he was also a great professor, though)
    Follow Me (and my wedding!) on Pinterest
    50 in 2012 Reading Challenge: 2 books read
    my read shelf:

Katie Rizzo's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_irritations-rational-otherwise?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:45fb9697-b4a0-47eb-bd28-9241e19c9262Post:36d94c1d-89e3-4d60-9c85-c35ace052039">Re: Irritations (rational or otherwise)</a>:
    [QUOTE]My cousin went to a smaller college and the teacher would actually call him if he missed class.  He transferred soon after his first year.
    Posted by dumdumfroggie[/QUOTE]

My school did this. They actually called my classmate's grandma once when he missed two classes in a row. I think he was almost 30, and he hadn't even lived with her since he was in middle school.
  • I think a lot of professors have an ego the size of the planet so they do these things.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_irritations-rational-otherwise?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:45fb9697-b4a0-47eb-bd28-9241e19c9262Post:92dc91e2-bf46-4697-a524-82edf00c7043">Re: Irritations (rational or otherwise)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Irritations (rational or otherwise) : How so?  Stupid, yes, but teachers can pretty much design their own class.
    Posted by dumdumfroggie[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>The university I attend has a policy that students can miss class without being penalized if they have a documented medical reason (like getting an appendix out), or an immediate family member passes away. I figured that was normal for other universities as well.

</div>
  • I don't get attendance policies and I especially don't get seating charts.  Its college, ffs.  Not kindergarten.

Class participation grades were big at my college, since a lot of the classes involved reading rather than coursework.  That, I get.
    Photobucket
  • I am pretty sure it is against school policy. J said this guy is pretty young so I am betting he will get his policy thrown in his face sooner rather than later. I have a feeling since he knows it is an intro class that most people just take to get an elective, he feels the need to over compensate.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_irritations-rational-otherwise?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:45fb9697-b4a0-47eb-bd28-9241e19c9262Post:38eb8dec-a36f-4eb9-9b18-56f3cc6dfa22">Re: Irritations (rational or otherwise)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Irritations (rational or otherwise) : The university I attend has a policy that students can miss class without being penalized if they have a documented medical reason (like getting an appendix out), or an immediate family member passes away. I figured that was normal for other universities as well.

Well, he's allowing them to miss class for any reason, he's just having them write the stupid paper to make up for what they missed.  I don't think that would be against any policy.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • My econ prof last quarter was so obnoxious. It was an entry level class (a required elective) geared toward non-business majors, and she acted like she was being tortured for having to be in the same room as us.

I quit going to class and just read the text. I showed up for exams only, and I still ended up with a high B. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_irritations-rational-otherwise?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:45fb9697-b4a0-47eb-bd28-9241e19c9262Post:704e4aed-9fd4-4a6c-a994-b75dac7f56b4">Re: Irritations (rational or otherwise)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Irritations (rational or otherwise) : Well, he's allowing them to miss class for any reason, he's just having them write the stupid paper to make up for what they missed.  I don't think that would be against any policy.
    </div><div>Eh. I bet it would be if the student was missing for a medical reason and was going to be gone for an extended period of time. I would hope that if that was the case the student could talk with the professor and he would excuse him.

</div>
  • I guess I've been lucky so far.  My psych professor seemed super stressed all the time, but I don't think I've had anyone that was too full of themselves.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    "Halloween may have loose women scantily clad...
    But Christmas has a pregnant virgin.

Way cooler." - anna.oskar
  • Musu, I understand where you're coming from, but if lots of people skip out on class it can really affect the experience for those who DO show up. I mean, probably not in a huge lecture type class, but for anything smaller or with class discussion it absolutely affects the experience other students have. I do agree, you're an adult and it's your responsibility, but I also understand why professors do what they can to encourage everyone to show up every class. Their class, and therefore evaluations and stuff like that, can suffer if too many people don't show up.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_irritations-rational-otherwise?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:45fb9697-b4a0-47eb-bd28-9241e19c9262Post:3b0fa8b1-0da2-42fe-afbd-f10af54a833d">Re: Irritations (rational or otherwise)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Musu, I understand where you're coming from, but if lots of people skip out on class it can really affect the experience for those who DO show up. I mean, probably not in a huge lecture type class, but for anything smaller or with class discussion it absolutely affects the experience other students have. I do agree, you're an adult and it's your responsibility, but I also understand why professors do what they can to encourage everyone to show up every class. Their class, and therefore evaluations and stuff like that, can suffer if too many people don't show up.
    Posted by annakb8[/QUOTE]

I get that, but I don't think that the majority of students would skip ALL the time. I mean, in my classes that didn't have attendance policies, it wasn't any more empty than classes that did in undergrad.
  • annakb8annakb8 member
    First Comment
    edited February 2012
    For the record, I skipped tons of class in college (and high school), but pretty much only huge lecture classes. I never missed class in grad school. Well, one week I got sick so I missed each class one time, but other than that I had a perfect attendance record because I probably would have failed if I didn't show up. Participation was usually 50% of my grade. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_irritations-rational-otherwise?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:45fb9697-b4a0-47eb-bd28-9241e19c9262Post:27b4b94a-188c-46ab-b124-b2371a6201c3">Re: Irritations (rational or otherwise)</a>:
    [QUOTE]And because it just happened... I'm irrationally irritated when people come into the bathroom and choose the stall right next to mine when their are 6 other empty stalls.   Same goes for the cardio equipment at the gym.
    Posted by dumdumfroggie[/QUOTE]

I so second this, it's weird
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I also find that the best professors never need(ed) attendace policies. So if you're a good prof, usually people will WANT to go to your class, or at least not hate it.
  • I skipped a lot of classes when I first started grad school before my LOA.  Only had to learn that lesson once.  My plan right now is to have a perfect attendance record for the semester.  I'm sticking to it.  You can't miss ANYTHING.

Books read in 2012: 21/50

• I was a slacker my senior year of high school.  I skipped a ton and I had double OJT.  I still had good grades though.  I've only missed a handful of college classes, and usually only because of unavoidable things.  I think I've only skipped one class because I didn't feel like going.  Man this makes me sound like a goody two shoes, but I just want to have options when I apply to a nursing school.
    "Halloween may have loose women scantily clad...
    But Christmas has a pregnant virgin.

Way cooler." - anna.oskar
  • I had required attendance is almost all of my undergrad classes...even in some of the huge lecture classes.

I really didn't mind having to go to class.  There was one time I had to email the profs before classes started because I had to take off for a family vacation that was planned and they all accomodated my schedule and gave me the readings and assignments ahead of time so I wouldn't be behind.

• I'm not even talking about skipping class just to do it. I mean for being sick, etc.
  • Yeah, I think grading participation is a better route too. Because the people who show up and don't say anything aren't really helping anyone else learn better. 
  • This one time, I had this horrible Anthropology class where the professor was constantly late due to smoking right outside the building. The attendance policy was pretty lax but I went to most classes anyway.

We were due to have a quiz one day and even though I felt like utter crap, I went. Turns out it was a ploy to get everyone to come back to class. I was so mad.
  • My irrational irritation is when people choose the treadmill immediately in front of the room yoga class is held in when there are other tradmills available.

I hate hearing someone thump thump thump on the treadmill right next to us while trying to focus.
  • I never skip class. I hate feeling behind and would rather just go. I have one prof. that requires you put your student ID card in a dropbox when you use the restroom. That is crazy.
  • I had a class in undergrad that had an attendance policy that I actually was cool with. My prof would give a 5 point quiz at the beginning of every class, via power point and "Clickers". The quiz was graded, but he dropped your worst 5 scores at the end of the semester. SO you could miss 5 classes with no penalty to your score. I liked that.
  • Yay, I have been wanting to post this:

It totally freaks me out to watch the Food Network or any Food stuff on TV when I am at the gym on the treadmill.  This is definitely an irritation for the irrational category... but it just looks so gross and it's like counter to what I'm trying to do- burn calories.  It just grosses me out and distracts me and upsets me.

Also, for all of your grammar people out there, what are your feelings on the word "Ambivalent?"  It's so commonly used to mean "apathetic" when what it REALLY means is that you feel STRONGLY about two opposing things.  If you look at the roots of the word, you can even tell:  ambi (both) valent (pull).  I never knew this until one of my ex-boyfriends pointed it out to me.  I'm usually pretty good w/ grammar, so I was really shocked to discover how WRONG I was, that it does NOT mean apathetic.. and now whenever I hear people say that, I totally notice.  It doesn't really irritate me that much tho.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_irritations-rational-otherwise?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:45fb9697-b4a0-47eb-bd28-9241e19c9262Post:c420c012-20e8-4e26-afb2-de1872f5a6a4">Re: Irritations (rational or otherwise)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I never skip class. I hate feeling behind and would rather just go. I have one prof. that requires you put your student ID card in a dropbox when you use the restroom. That is crazy.

<div>Huh?  What purpose would that serve?  Crazy pants.</div>
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Maybe this belongs in the shameful secrets thread on SB, but I skip class. Not every class, and not every week, but there are definitely times when I just don't feel like going.

I still get As and Bs, though. I do tend to have better attendance in the classes where it isn't required, but participation is graded. That, or if the subject matter is interesting and the prof isn't an egotistical jackass.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_irritations-rational-otherwise?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:45fb9697-b4a0-47eb-bd28-9241e19c9262Post:1c4d3ae3-3afb-41d1-8522-bec8d4de2e01">Re: Irritations (rational or otherwise)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Irritations (rational or otherwise) : Huh?  What purpose would that serve?  Crazy pants.
    </div><div>I guess so you come back? It is very awkward though. Do I really want to walk up to the front of the class and put my ID in a box so I can pee? Hell no! That's like announcing to the entire 150 people, "I HAVE TO PEE, OK?"

</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards