Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Friday night!!!

Re: Friday night!!!

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_friday-night-10?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f2d8bd6f-4a27-4e6b-86ed-d6eea4c86c35Post:55f2ee44-72b1-4265-9525-9954ff3a131f">Re: Friday night!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Right Pheags. As it is, I will be meeting Snips in Richmond instead.  PS: We need to reschedule our plans to see the fishies.  ETA: I realize that sounds like meeting Snips is a consolation prize, but I'm really pumped to meet her and her H. I like meeting knotties in general. Some of my closest friends now are the old WP regs. 
    Posted by mkrupar[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>We met :)</div>
  • Options
    Night Glo!
  • Options
    Oh that really blows, Stlz.  Now I feel like an ass for cheering my unemployment.  What field are you in?
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    "Halloween may have loose women scantily clad...
    But Christmas has a pregnant virgin.

Way cooler." - anna.oskar
  • Options
    Strlz: that sucks. I definitely went through that a lot (both when I was temping and when I was looking for a full time job).
  • Options
    Hi Trashy!  Welcome :)

Good night AB - have fun... be good.. or don't.

Steels - that just sucks.  HR guy sounds like a douche.  Is it something you could use as a starting point?  Would it boost your resume to go elsewhere after logging a year or two with the title?
  • Options
    Steelz that really sucks. That is not a good compromise at all on their side. What do you think you're going to do?
  • Options
    Stlrz, I can't imagine how irritated I would be over a good lead and then getting that information dumped on me. That's awful.

Glo, I dabble in reality TV. I'm more on the side of Project Runway and What Not to Wear than shows like Real Housewives. But right now I'm all Olympics, all the time.
  • Options
    Stlz that sucks. And that HR rep kind of sounds like an ass. Why wouldn't your education/experience be taken in to consideration?

I know loops! And it was awesome! You and docbroc. I miss her too. 
  • Options
    Slrz, That's awful. I hope something breaks for you soon.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    strlzfan11strlzfan11 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited August 2012
    Education.

Adamar, don't apologize.  I'm ridiculously happy for you.

To throw another twist into all this, there's a job here in my current unit that is open and I know the pay will be much higher and a few people (including the big wigs) recommended I apply.  The thing is, there's no guarantee that I would get it based on all the applications they've already received.

So now I have to decide whether or not to take the gamble on wait on this new job, or take a really low-paying job and try to bid out as soon as I can.

FWIW, I told my rep what he said.  Again, she was shocked and said she'd mention something casually to their big boss at the next meeting and let me know if there's a need to follow up with a formal complaint for what he said.
  • Options
    Well the HR rep is an A-1 jerk, which I already knew, but the job wouldn't have to deal with him a whole lot, if it all.  The job is in the graduate program I would've enrolled in had I not moved to SC 8 years ago, so there is some value to taking it not counting the benefits that I currently don't have.
  • Options
    I'm contemplating going back to school for my MBA. George Washington University has a Professional MBA program with a Tourism & Hospitality Management focus. It would be a crazy two years. I could apply to start in the Spring, or wait until next fall. Decisions, decisions. 
  • Options
    strlz: I wouldn't take the low paying position.  You need to let them know you are valuable and worth the pay.  Apply to the position the big wigs have suggested you apply to.

• Options
    Do you have benefits now?  Would you get benefits with the new low paying positions?  Would you lose your temp position if you don't take the low paying one?
  • Options
    Education as in you want to be a teacher, or something else education related?

My dad just told me he expects a cheesecake for his birthday.  It makes me happy to see him functioning normally.

• Options
    I actually applied and was accepted into my grad program before I knew I was being laid off.  Since it was online, I figured I'd do one class at a time and work and then I got laid off.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_friday-night-10?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f2d8bd6f-4a27-4e6b-86ed-d6eea4c86c35Post:c5a74804-78aa-4f31-b3c5-03b3c8d25d14">Re: Friday night!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Do you have benefits now?  Would you get benefits with the new low paying positions?  Would you lose your temp position if you don't take the low paying one?
    Posted by Loopyseven[/QUOTE]

No benefits right now.
    I would get benefits.
    I wouldn't lose the temp job.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_friday-night-10?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f2d8bd6f-4a27-4e6b-86ed-d6eea4c86c35Post:56517278-e3bd-4fe6-bdbf-3240f3320a8c">Re: Friday night!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]strlz: I wouldn't take the low paying position.  You need to let them know you are valuable and worth the pay.  Apply to the position the big wigs have suggested you apply to.
    Posted by HockeyFan4[/QUOTE]

<div>If your current position with them is not in jeopardy and you can get along without benefits for a while longer, I'd probably take the gamble on the better position, especially if people have recommended you apply for it.  Especially since it seems that there is not an appreciable monetary difference that would hit your pocket book with the lower paying one.</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_friday-night-10?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f2d8bd6f-4a27-4e6b-86ed-d6eea4c86c35Post:e4251983-6584-44ca-9f2e-5b0bd40ec768">Re: Friday night!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Education as in you want to be a teacher, or something else education related?
    Posted by adamar15[/QUOTE]

College campus- education related.  Advising is where I ultimately want to be.
  • Options
    Gotcha.  I agree with Loopy's advice. 

• Options
    Does anyone here have their CAGS?  I have been debating going back to school...but I know I don't have the time/commitment for a PHD right now.  I thought a CAGS might be a good mid ground.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_friday-night-10?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f2d8bd6f-4a27-4e6b-86ed-d6eea4c86c35Post:4ff388bf-a7bf-4415-b369-ed5cb4cb98d6">Re: Friday night!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Friday night!!! : If your current position with them is not in jeopardy and you can get along without benefits for a while longer, I'd probably take the gamble on the better position, especially if people have recommended you apply for it.  Especially since it seems that there is not an appreciable monetary difference that would hit your pocket book with the lower paying one.
    Posted by Loopyseven[/QUOTE]

That's sort of how I'm leaning at the moment.  I'm going to sit down and make a pros/cons list this weekend as well as take a good hard look at the budget and see what I can come up with.
  • Options
    Adamar - I'm glad your dad is acting a little more normal.  When is his b-day?
  • Options
    Thanks for the sound advice everyone.  I really appreciate it.
  • Options
    It's the 23rd, Loopy.

• Options
    Oooh they have an accelerated MBA program that I can get done in 21 months vs. 2-5 years. I think I may sign up for a information session. 
  • Options
    Stlrz - we don't do good advice here.  We all be biitches.
  • Options
    Haha I haven't seen her chrissy. Clearly not sad about it.
  • Options
    mkr: I did an accelerated program for my MA of Ed.  It was a year straight with no breaks, but it was great.  I would do it again if given the choice. 
  • Options
    MK - that sounds like an executive MBA program.  I've looked into them before.  I have always just procrastinated forever cause I really don't want to go back to school.

Wow - how far has Shannon Doherty fallen that she is doing commercials for Educationconn.ection.com?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards