Wedding Etiquette Forum

Cash Bars - Everything you need to know in one place

Re: Cash Bars - Everything you need to know in one place

• I think she's speaking hypothetically on there.
  • This post is severely lacking in gifs.  @tanlines&wine:
    Don't worry guys, I have the Wedding Police AND the Whambulance on speed dial!
  • You guys have completely taken something and run wild with it. I'm over it. I came on here to vent. Whether you agree with me or not doesn't mean anything to me. I didn't come on here for some sort of validation from complete and MENTAL strangers.
    Yeah, about your MOH getting "knocked up" as you so eloquently put it, and now she can't attend your honeymoon destination wedding.  I mean, how fucking dare she?!

Out, damned spot troll. Out, I say!

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• You ladies must have so much extra food from Christmas that you want to feed the trolls too.
  • banana468 said:
    You ladies must have so much extra food from Christmas that you want to feed the trolls too.
    Nah, it's just a slow day!

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• You trolls really need to step up your game. 

• @KnotPorscha , it looks like we have some trolls turning this thread into a big fight.
  • *shrugs*  My cousin got married in February.  Her budget was 2k, so she had a cash bar.  I didn't even think twice about it, I was just happy there was booze on the property so I could get wasted. 

I didn't think poorly of her and I certainly wasn't so offended I felt I should skip it.  If weddings are about celebrating the bride and groom then it doesn't really matter if there's a cash bar, right? 

I think it's a bit hypocritical to say it's only about the day and celebrating with the people you love, but then say something like you would skip a wedding simply because they were rude enough to have a cash bar.  What kind of friend would I be if I did that?
  • LindzxxoLindzxxo member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2013

NYCBruin said:
    STOP THE PRESS: I have the perfect solution for you @TanLines&Wine:

Since your terrible friend got knocked up and can't come to the wedding, just ask her to cash in her plane tickets and hotel room and give you the money.  You can then use the money to host alcohol!  Unless of course you need special wedding shoes or something like that, then spend the money on those.  Obviously.

*Stuck in Box*
    OMG! I just busted out laughing SO loudly at this that I scared my fellow office pals lol

• *shrugs*  My cousin got married in February.  Her budget was 2k, so she had a cash bar.  I didn't even think twice about it, I was just happy there was booze on the property so I could get wasted. 

I didn't think poorly of her and I certainly wasn't so offended I felt I should skip it.  If weddings are about celebrating the bride and groom then it doesn't really matter if there's a cash bar, right? 

I think it's a bit hypocritical to say it's only about the day and celebrating with the people you love, but then say something like you would skip a wedding simply because they were rude enough to have a cash bar.  What kind of friend would I be if I did that?
    Great advice from someone lying to their friends and family about her PPD:

Hi everyone, I've posted a couple of times here or there, but I haven't actually introduced myself.  My name's Jenn and my fiance and I are having a destination wedding in Riviera Maya next August.  We're actually tying the knot legally in 9 days, for insurance/tax liability reasons, but most people don't know about that yet.  Anyway, we've booked the resort (Hard Rock Riviera Maya) and sent out the STDs in October.  Now we're just kind of playing the waiting game.  I picked up my dress on Friday, too, which just makes me more stupidly excited for the whole thing.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• I'm not lying to them.  I actually told my parents, my MOH and a BM.  We had to get married before our trip because Mexico requires blood tests the day of the wedding and 1) neither of us is keen on a foreign government sticking us with needles, 2) he is a hemophiliac and 3) it saves us money on insurance premiums. 
    It's no one else's business when we signed our legal marriage certificate or where it comes from.
  • I'm not lying to them.  I actually told my parents, my MOH and a BM.  We had to get married before our trip because Mexico requires blood tests the day of the wedding and 1) neither of us is keen on a foreign government sticking us with needles, 2) he is a hemophiliac and 3) it saves us money on insurance premiums. 
    It's no one else's business when we signed our legal marriage certificate or where it comes from.
    *BANG HEAD ON DESK*

Pay special attention to the parts when people who have attended PPDs were pissed about it and lost relationships with their friends due to it.

Happy reading.
  • We're saying our vows in Mexico.  Maybe your family and friends want to see the marriage certificate, but ours just want to celebrate and party with us.  So that's what we're doing.  We told them we were getting legally married before we left the States, they just don't know when that is/was going to happen.  Because it doesn't affect them in any way shape or form. 
    *BANG HEAD ON DESK*

Pay special attention to the parts when people who have attended PPDs were pissed about it and lost relationships with their friends due to it.

Happy reading.
    Yeah, I stopped at "do-over" because the intention of Mexico was never a do-over.  It's actually been recommended to me by my travel agents and my boss who is Mexican to get sign the papers here first, because of my aforementioned reasons, and my boss told me the Mexican government is incredibly bureaucratic and getting license copies would be painful.  I really don't care that you guys, who will not be attending, think I'm having a PPD.  Which, by the way, is a ridiculous term. 

You can throw other TK links up here and praise them like it's a tenet of the Bible, and I can easily respond with outside links from other Destination Wedding bloggers who recommend the exact opposite.  Different strokes for different folks. 

At the end of the day I was STILL not offended by my cousin's cash bar wedding because I had other things to worry about. 
  • ALSO, I would like to add that it's a bit insulting to insinuate that couples who choose this approach are having a PPD.  My cousin, who is gay, absolutely had no choice but to marry her wife in DC where I live.  Two years later, they are having their "PPD", as you like to call it, in South Carolina where they live, because while South Carolina still does not recognize their marriage, they would like to celebrate it and have a traditional wedding with the people they love around them.  I applaud that.

• omg you never stop
  • Yeah, okay.  I can ring her right now and ask if you're right.  "Katie, are you insulted I was legally married on December 23rd and we're having the wedding celebration in August 2014?"  She's going to ask me if something's wrong with me and why she should give a crap.

I can also ask her wife just so we can cast a wider net here.  ???
  • edited December 2013
    nobody in real life gives as many fucks about any of this irrelevant shit as you all do on the internet
  • banana468 said:
    ALSO, I would like to add that it's a bit insulting to insinuate that couples who choose this approach are having a PPD.  My cousin, who is gay, absolutely had no choice but to marry her wife in DC where I live.  Two years later, they are having their "PPD", as you like to call it, in South Carolina where they live, because while South Carolina still does not recognize their marriage, they would like to celebrate it and have a traditional wedding with the people they love around them.  I applaud that.

Let me get this straight:   The FACT is that you're CHOOSING to GET MARRIED before flying off to your CHOICE of a foreign venue where you are going to get as married as I did when I was 5 and in my backyard playing with the neighbors.   You are wanting to comparing this to couples who are not guaranteed the RIGHT to get married where they live???   Are you freaking serious?   

If you want to involve people in your life then they deserve to know the facts of your life.    Lying by omission is no way to build trust in family or friends.   In fact, it's a great way to look like an entitled brat who can't comprehend that actions have consequences. 
    Hey, according to you, she's already married, so why does she need her PPD? Her civil ceremony was just as real as mine.  According to you all, neither of us should have our "real" wedding ceremonies. 

Or is there a double standard I'm unaware of?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards