Snarky Brides

come talk to me

Re: come talk to me

• I love that cabinet, Loopy. Now I kinda want one for my kitchen.
  • I think black or white would look fine. When you re-do the cabinets what will they look like? I'd maybe buy the color that you think will go best with the new cabinets.
  • I like the white one
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • jcg98jcg98 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_come-talk-to-me?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:a2dd48df-99fc-4dfa-82d2-504584c382e1Post:e1c8f032-796f-41fd-941c-a747a4368280">Re: come talk to me</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: come talk to me : If kids were starting to perform better, then I dont think people would have a problem with more tax money going to salaries.  But as it stands right now, these teachers are getting a lot of money in salary (and pension which lots of people forget) and the kids are not performing.<strong> I dont buy into it being impossible to teach poor kids.  I hate that argument.  It can be done and is done in many charter schools in poor cities.  Some of those kids do better than the rich white kids.</strong>
    Posted by Blueyed228[/QUOTE]

I just wanted to comment on this.  When I was just out of college, I worked a temp job while I tried to figure out what the heck to do with my life (liberal arts degree, Music major.)  Several people suggested that I apply to teach music in one of the largest (and poorest) cities in the state, because the starting salary was $45K and no education degree or certification was needed.  I never really considered it because I had no desire to teach, but the money sure was tempting for a 21 year old.

I ended up working at an arts center in that same city for ten years and saw a lot of good things happening with the charter schools in the district.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

• I think the white would look okay with a dark cabinet.  Especially if you set it accross the room or something.
  • SERIOUSLY, blue. It's insane. But that, and the health insuarnce, will keep me staying on campus even considering the crap pay. 

The worst part? Before my promotion, I was contributing 5% to my retirement, and the University was matching. But their contribution was only covering the 'administrative costs of the program' and I never saw a dime of it. So about 3/4 of the employees of the same damn University are getting royally screwed on retirement, while the other 1/4 of us (faculty and higher administration) are getting spoiled. BUT I'm not in the union to protect my job anymore ;)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_come-talk-to-me?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:a2dd48df-99fc-4dfa-82d2-504584c382e1Post:fe28a163-e78d-4216-9f82-10709f5b88a5">Re: come talk to me</a>:
    [QUOTE]SERIOUSLY, blue. It's insane. But that, and the health insuarnce, will keep me staying on campus even considering the crap pay.  The worst part? Before my promotion, I was contributing 5% to my retirement, and the University was matching. But their contribution was only covering the 'administrative costs of the program' and I never saw a dime of it. So about 3/4 of the employees of the same damn University are getting royally screwed on retirement, while the other 1/4 of us (faculty and higher administration) are getting spoiled. <strong><u>BUT I'm not in the union to protect my job anymore</u></strong> ;)
    Posted by Steph+J[/QUOTE]

Vagina high-five?
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • ha loopy. H would probably kill me if I added anything to our IKEA list. I'm already planning on getting two dressers from there. ;) We do have a cabinet from there that might work, but it's really tall. Which one did you guys have? do you remember?
  • Blue- What would happen near you if teachers didn't get a step increase on year? Do they strike?
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • LoopysevenLoopyseven member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited April 2012
    I don't remember.  We bought it like 8 years ago, and got rid of it 6 years ago when we bought our house and it wouldn't fit in the basement (we couldn't get it stood up straight..  It had to go sideways down the stairs, and then the diagonal to tip it upright was too tall for our 7' ceilings down there.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_come-talk-to-me?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:a2dd48df-99fc-4dfa-82d2-504584c382e1Post:a62558c8-eb2e-4d23-a413-231da33021be">Re: come talk to me</a>:
    [QUOTE]Blue- What would happen near you if teachers didn't get a step increase on year? Do they strike?
    Posted by LetsHikeToday[/QUOTE]

Those skanks are always bitching about something or other.  They want a raise every year.  They are always striking or threatening to.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • A friend of mine is a music teacher in Cleveland.  She gets laid off every year, and then gets called back every year in the fall when they realize they need some music teachers or something.  I find it kind of rediculous.  
  • jcg98jcg98 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_come-talk-to-me?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:a2dd48df-99fc-4dfa-82d2-504584c382e1Post:8d8853aa-2038-4c20-9612-b4a5f7f59d38">Re: come talk to me</a>:
    [QUOTE]A friend of mine is a music teacher in Cleveland.  She gets laid off every year, and then gets called back every year in the fall when they realize they need some music teachers or something.  I find it kind of rediculous.  
    Posted by Loopyseven[/QUOTE]

Same thing happens here.  It really sucks to be a non-tenured arts teacher right now, in NJ at least.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_come-talk-to-me?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:a2dd48df-99fc-4dfa-82d2-504584c382e1Post:8d8853aa-2038-4c20-9612-b4a5f7f59d38">Re: come talk to me</a>:
    [QUOTE]A friend of mine is a music teacher in Cleveland.  She gets laid off every year, and then gets called back every year in the fall when they realize they need some music teachers or something.  I find it kind of rediculous.  
    Posted by Loopyseven[/QUOTE]

<div>That's to avoid tenure and annual raises. A lot of districts do it, which is shitty to the good teachers.</div>
  • Do they get raises every year? Do you think they'd strike if they didn't? There is no striking in VA so that part of teaching is foreign to me.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • LetsHikeTodayLetsHikeToday member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited April 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_come-talk-to-me?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:a2dd48df-99fc-4dfa-82d2-504584c382e1Post:60a3db3d-4602-4691-8a68-ebf7e62d0f66">Re: come talk to me</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: come talk to me : That's to avoid tenure and annual raises. A lot of districts do it, which is shitty to the good teachers.
    And that's why tenure can't be taken away without revamping the system. At least in Virginia.<div>Edit: I mean continuing contract</div>
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_come-talk-to-me?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:a2dd48df-99fc-4dfa-82d2-504584c382e1Post:7991239e-946a-4116-a549-82b350cf00b1">Re: come talk to me</a>:
    [QUOTE]Do they get raises every year? Do you think they'd strike if they didn't? There is no striking in VA so that part of teaching is foreign to me.
    Posted by LetsHikeToday[/QUOTE]

I have no idea to be honest, but probably.  The union is really powerful here. 

Teachers unions are the largest contributor to the Democratic party and we have all Democratic politicians here. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Blue- Yeah, I figured that. That's exactly how it is in PA where I went to school but I never worked there.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_come-talk-to-me?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:a2dd48df-99fc-4dfa-82d2-504584c382e1Post:60a3db3d-4602-4691-8a68-ebf7e62d0f66">Re: come talk to me</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: come talk to me : That's to avoid tenure and annual raises. A lot of districts do it, which is shitty to the good teachers.

Because they are going broke from all the bad teachers tenure, pensions, and salaries, lol.

And we have come full circle.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • You know who really pisses me off with striking? The freaking admins at the university. FFS. Some of them are making $50k-$60k as SECRETARIES.  I'm not talking the ones who have actuall responsibility. I'm talking the ones who answer phones and make copies and that's it. (Because their union description says they cannot be asked to do anything that involves any kind of decision making.)  They went on strike one time because they didn't get a raise when the teamsters union did. Well, dumbasses, their contract was up for renewal and yours wasn't.

AND if you hate your job so much, why the hell haven't you taken advantage of the FREE COLLEGE EDUCATION the last 30 years you'ev worked here so you can find a new job? 

/end rant.
  • The teaching union must be strong in WA too. I don't know, but I would assume.
  • OMG stef you cant call them Secretaries.  The are administrative assistants.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Damn Steph, they can't make a decision and it's written in their contract? Wow.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_come-talk-to-me?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:a2dd48df-99fc-4dfa-82d2-504584c382e1Post:4e455a03-6e65-47f7-ba82-4fef2baeb9f4">Re: come talk to me</a>:
    [QUOTE]OMG stef you cant call them Secretaries.  The are administrative assistants.
    Posted by Blueyed228[/QUOTE]

<div>"Principal Administrative and Executive Assistant" actually.  That's the position I started at on campus. Let me tell you, that was the most mind-numbing idiotic job ever. Which is why I was promoted (out of the union, mind you) in 6 months. I don't know how someone can stay in that kind of job for 30-40 years. </div><div>
    </div><div>Yup, Hike. Let me see if I can find the handbook online. It's actually fairly insulting.</div>
  • Wow... I would love to have a job where it's in my job descriptiong that I don't have to make any decisions?  Why do I keep seeking out new roles with more responsibility and more decision making points in them?
  • Insulting is exactly what I was thinking.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • edited April 2012
    Hah, Steph, I know what you mean about the benefits for the jobs on campus. My mom makes a very good salary and has gotten several raises (which are well deserved because she has worked her butt off to get where she is now), but she effing hates her job. I suspect the reason she stays is because of the benefits. I saw her retirement acct statement yesterday and my eyes bugged out. That and I love our health insurance, lol.

ETA: She is not a secretary though, to avoid confusion. She is in higher administration.
  • Best part? They're all so pissy about not being secretaries, because they're SO MUCH MORE THAN THAT.  Yet, the one who's the biggest union pusher in our office? Sent an email to the director last week "FYI. This week is Administrative Professionals Day." all "don't forget to buy me shiit." ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!
  • Thanks Hike, it was taken at my mom's 75th birthday weekend.
  • MuSu- does your mom work at the same campus as me??

And, for serious. I've earned more in my retirement account the last 8 months than I did the 3 and a half years prior. It's insane. And, this baby? Costing me $15. total. thanks, tax payers! (actually, that's not true. My department is completely self-sufficient so we don't get any money from taxes/government or tuition.)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards