Wedding Etiquette Forum

Thursday night

Re: Thursday night

• J and I were together for just about 2 years when he proposed. We got married after we had been together for a little over 3 years. We will be together for 4 years total this coming Oct.
  • J&K10910J&K10910 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited July 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_thursday-night-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f92e0f80-3a58-43ad-afd6-856d3ae4e3e6Post:5e785ea2-1ddd-430e-a45a-3e30a0d4f6a4">Re: Thursday night</a>:
    [QUOTE]How long was everyone with their FI before they got engaged? 2 and a half years, and getting married just after 4 years. 
    Posted by DileniN[/QUOTE]

We had been together a few weeks past 3 months when he proposed, and 5 and a half years when we got married. 

We started dating on 12/3/05, had sex for the first time that New Years Eve (I guess technically it was New Year's dah), he proposed on 12/21/08.  Don't remember the date of the first time he told me he loved me, but I remember the events.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • FI and I would have been living together for almost 2 years after our wedding.

The day he proposed to me we went to ikea in the morning and everytime we would bicker about something stupid he would just tell me to that he wanted today to be special and we shouldnt bicker. I thought it was really weird, I didnt see it coming hah. 

522805_10151186959893168_80368830_n_zps80e4c057
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We started dating around November 2007, made it official February 9, 2008, said I love you on June 29, 2008, got engaged December 19, 2010 and got married June 16, 2012. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_thursday-night-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f92e0f80-3a58-43ad-afd6-856d3ae4e3e6Post:2e1e58d1-eaa2-48f7-add1-841e9d3ca1af">Re: Thursday night</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thursday night : Ever. We're both Catholic and decided we'd wait. But we're not the best Catholics because we did all sorts of other naked activities prior to marriage, haha. Now it seems kind of silly that we didn't just have sex - we'd been together over 4 years by the time we got married. I'm still happy with the decision we made, though. 
    Posted by LeiselEB[/QUOTE]

<div>I giggled at "naked activities". Thats cool. I thought I was going to wait. I at least resolved to wait for someone I really felt in love with. And apparently I knew this after 2 weeks of knowing J. I don't know. I probably would've regretted it if J didn't turn out to be who he ended up being in my life. ;) </div>
  • Leisel, did you live together before you were married?
  • Holy balls, J. I didn't know you had a 5 year engagement.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_thursday-night-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f92e0f80-3a58-43ad-afd6-856d3ae4e3e6Post:2e1e58d1-eaa2-48f7-add1-841e9d3ca1af">Re: Thursday night</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thursday night : Ever. We're both Catholic and decided we'd wait. But we're not the best Catholics because we did all sorts of other naked activities prior to marriage, haha. Now it seems kind of silly that we didn't just have sex - we'd been together over 4 years by the time we got married. I'm still happy with the decision we made, though. 
    Posted by LeiselEB[/QUOTE]

<div>It's good that you stuck to what you believed in though. I bet it was tough while you were doing those other activities to not just go all the way. I don't think I could have resisted if it hadn't been just a few days.</div><div>
    </div><div>I told H I didn't want to have sex until after the wedding since he was only coming in about a week before the wedding. But, since we hadn't seen each other in so long it's not like we wanted to just not do anything at all. And afterwards I really regretted not having sex beforehand because I started my period a few days before the wedding and it lasted for like two weeks. </div><div>
    </div><div>Way to over share Poke. </div>
  • I was totally surprised when H proposed.  We'd been planning on going on a hike after work, and I spent half the morning trying to get a couple of other people to come with us.  He was freaking out... LOL.  Ultimately, it was pretty wet and all the "others" turned me down. haha :).
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_thursday-night-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f92e0f80-3a58-43ad-afd6-856d3ae4e3e6Post:938e7e71-9d8e-4e9e-a89a-91040ccddc1c">Re: Thursday night</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thursday night : I giggled at "naked activities". Thats cool. I thought I was going to wait. I at least resolved to wait for someone I really felt in love with. And apparently I knew this after 2 weeks of knowing J. I don't know. I probably would've regretted it if J didn't turn out to be who he ended up being in my life. ;) 
    Posted by musicalsunlight[/QUOTE]

<div>See, I never thought I'd wait. But it was really important to H at first, and then I started really liking the idea. I know we wouldn't have regretted it if we hadn't waited, though. </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_thursday-night-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f92e0f80-3a58-43ad-afd6-856d3ae4e3e6Post:1e7fad89-2958-4305-9536-394b27bad38a">Re: Thursday night</a>:
    [QUOTE]Leisel, did you live together before you were married?
    Posted by ErinG93[/QUOTE]

<div>Nope, we both just graduated from college this past spring and went to different schools, so we didn't even live in the same town until a few weeks before we got married. We went to high school together, though and started dating back then.</div>
  • Evening ladies!

FMIL, FI, and I got the rehearsal dinner firmed up today.  We are actually having a luncheon before the rehearsal due to money constraints.  

FI and I knew each other for a couple of years before we actually started dating.  I was dating someone else at the time, but FI and I hung out wtih the same circle of friends.  I broke up with the guy I was dating, and then FI and I got put together as staff heads for a retreat we were involved in.  We got to know each other and started dating a couple of months later. It was one of those "so...we're boyfriend and girlfriend, right?" conversations.  We had been together a little over 3 years when he proposed, and it will be a couple months shy of 4 years when we get married.  

First time we said I love you...I think we had been "official" for about 4 months (I said it first).  
    knotsigpicture Anniversary
  • No way could I wait. I didn't have a reason to. I liked knowing that we were compatible in that way before jumping in. But, it sounds like you (Leisel) and your H knew you had something. ;)
  • Loopy - I was and wasn't surprised at teh same time. We were talking about the process and talking about getting engaged. Unfortunately it couldn't be too much of a surprise because of the immigration crap. In fact, the day he proposed I was Skyping with my mom and complaining because he hadn't proposed yet and I was getting impaitent lol.
  • Gah, TK ate my post. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_thursday-night-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f92e0f80-3a58-43ad-afd6-856d3ae4e3e6Post:052ac67c-c928-49d3-9c1f-8b8975bf0d4e">Re: Thursday night</a>:
    [QUOTE]J he proposed after only four months?  I don't think I ever knew that. That's cute.
    Posted by edielaura[/QUOTE]

Errrr.... Totally screwed up the year.

• J, was there a reason for the long engagement? I'm super nosy, so ignore me if you don't feel like answering that. 

• I knew that J was going to propose soon, since he is terrible at keeping things a surprise and told me that he had purchased a ring, hah. He was so freaking nervous that night that he proposed which I thought was hilarious since he KNEW i was gonna say yes.
  • Ha, not 5 years, we got engaged in 2008.  2.5 years though.  UGH. 

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_thursday-night-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f92e0f80-3a58-43ad-afd6-856d3ae4e3e6Post:832ee2ac-1182-4d31-8815-3774d1f21696">Re: Thursday night</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ha, not 5 years, we got engaged in 2008.  2.5 years though.  UGH. 
    Posted by J&K10910[/QUOTE]

<div>Woops, I missed your reply to Edie!</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_thursday-night-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f92e0f80-3a58-43ad-afd6-856d3ae4e3e6Post:aac6dca8-a6e9-48a9-af1d-f58bf3224e63">Re: Thursday night</a>:
    [QUOTE]I was totally surprised when H proposed.  We'd been planning on going on a hike after work, and I spent half the morning trying to get a couple of other people to come with us.  He was freaking out... LOL.  Ultimately, it was pretty wet and all the "others" turned me down. haha :).
    Posted by Loopyseven[/QUOTE]

<div>FI's proposal was somewhat of a surprise.  The actual moments leading up to it were very out of character for him.  So I kind of suspected something was up.  </div>
    knotsigpicture Anniversary
  • Oh ok well that is significantly shorter lol. Still a long time though, J! 
  • 2.5 years is a still a damn long time to be engaged.  It wasn't supposed to be THAT long.  We were originally planning for 10/9/10 (not to be cute, promise) but we postponed.

• I was totally surprised when H proposed, but I knew he'd had a ring for several months. 
  • J - that's still a long engagement. Mine was about 2 years - although we didn't set a date until about 10 months before because of issues with immigration paperwork. 

Musu - it was exactly the same with H and I. I was a sure thing. He said he was just nervous about screwing it up for me. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_thursday-night-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f92e0f80-3a58-43ad-afd6-856d3ae4e3e6Post:cd3afb9a-35eb-4246-8c86-2119dfccd3e4">Re: Thursday night</a>:
    [QUOTE]2.5 years is a still a damn long time to be engaged.  It wasn't supposed to be THAT long.  We were originally planning for 10/9/10 (not to be cute, promise) but we postponed.
    Posted by J&K10910[/QUOTE]

<div>Do you mind if I ask why? </div>
  • 16 months was long enough for me man.
  • For everyone that had a really long engagement - how far out did you pick your date? I couldn't pick my date until I was certain that H could legally marry me here, plus we were waiting on paperwork we ended up not even needing. I got so freaking irritated because most of my family asked me if I had set a date yet every time they saw me. And it sucked because I had to keep explaining that I couldn't, and it kept reminding me that I had no effing idea when I was getting married. 

I'm having that same problem now, actually, with people constantly asking me when I'm moving. Grrr. 
  • Hey ladies,

What's happening?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I was suprised when FI propsed as well but I knew he had a ring as well for months but I wasnt expecting it that day.

We will be engaged for almost a year and a half. 

522805_10151186959893168_80368830_n_zps80e4c057
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards