Chit Chat

You know you're from....

These are things that I pulled off a "You know you're from New England when.... " list that have stunned me at various times when I realized it wasn't this way all over. What say you about these things?  And what are your local nuances??

Your local DQ is closed from Sept to May (mine wasn’t growing up, but it is where I live now and in Dec. we drove around for 2 hours trying to find an open one to satisfy a blizzard craving…to no avail)

-          You use the word “Wicked” (of course)

-          Chocolate Sprinkles are called “Jimmies”

-          You know what a Whoopie Pie is (Do people seriously not know what that is? Anyone?)

-          You measure distance in time (Who doesn’t? My CA friends give me a hard time about this)

-          You know what a “bubbler” is (Also something I get a hard time about saying. This = Water Fountain, btw)

-          You’ve gone Candlepin Bowling  (I have a trophy related to this. I was dumbfounded when I realize it didn’t exist in other places

image   imageimage
You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.

Re: You know you're from....

• I agree with all of these.  I also say the word "room" like "rum".  FI laughs at me nearly every day for this.
  • What a WICKED awesome discussion!  I've heard these before!  It's quite awesome though that some of those don't even apply to VT though!  We call sprinkles "sprinkles", and we call water fountains that as well.  We no longer have a DQ, but when we did, it was totally closed during the winter!

Some for VT:

-We call soft-serve ice cream "creemees".  WAY more delicious-sounding

-You have to design your kids halloween costume to fit over a snow suit

-Your 4th of July picnic was moved indoors due to frost

-Your neighbor throws a party to celebrate his new shed

-"Down South" means Connecticut

-We call Interstates "Interstates".  Not highways, as a lot of other places do.

-Sugar on snow is a delicacy up here

-Our autumn leaves are better than yours.

Oh this is fun!

• Here's a version of that list: http://nesaving.wordpress.com/you-know-youre-from-new-england-when/

I like: "You find 10 degrees a little chilly".  I only agree with this when the windchill makes it -30. I'd move that up to 40 degrees myself. I'd *consider* wearing a jacket then.
    image   imageimage
    You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.

• What a WICKED awesome discussion!  I've heard these before!  It's quite awesome though that some of those don't even apply to VT though!  We call sprinkles "sprinkles", and we call water fountains that as well.  We no longer have a DQ, but when we did, it was totally closed during the winter!

Some for VT:

Oh this is fun!

Only rainbow sprinkles are sprinkles here.There's a distinction. I'm surprised that doesn't carry to VT with the Jimmies. V
    image   imageimage

• MuppetFanMuppetFan member
    5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper First Comment
    edited May 2013

What a WICKED awesome discussion!  I've heard these before!  It's quite awesome though that some of those don't even apply to VT though!  We call sprinkles "sprinkles", and we call water fountains that as well.  We no longer have a DQ, but when we did, it was totally closed during the winter!

Some for VT:

Oh this is fun!

Only rainbow sprinkles are sprinkles here.There's a distinction. I'm surprised that doesn't carry to VT with the Jimmies. VT is like 40 mins from where I grew up.

Yes to the halloween costume/snow suits
    Yes to frost on 4th of july (that happened when I was a kid a few times)
    I say highways
    We have the same leaves

I *have* to try sugar on snow! i put maple syrup on it
    image   imageimage

• "Only rainbow sprinkles are sprinkles here.There's a distinction. I'm surprised that doesn't carry to VT with the Jimmies. V"

Cosigned from a RI-er.
  • I am from Atlanta and I had NO idea about any of that other than measuring distance in time. I'd say it is accurate that those don't apply everywhere.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• What things are special to Georgia folk?

image   imageimage

• edited May 2013
    This is a whoopie pie:

http://dharmaloss.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/whoopie-pie.jpg
    edited May 2013
    snippet17 said:
    MuppetFan said:
    These are things that I pulled off a "You know you're from New England when.... " list that have stunned me at various times when I realized it wasn't this way all over. What say you about these things?  And what are your local nuances??

Your local DQ is closed from Sept to May (mine wasn’t growing up, but it is where I live now and in Dec. we drove around for 2 hours trying to find an open one to satisfy a blizzard craving…to no avail)

-          You use the word “Wicked” (of course)

-          Chocolate Sprinkles are called “Jimmies”

-          You know what a Whoopie Pie is (Do people seriously not know what that is? Anyone?)

-          You measure distance in time (Who doesn’t? My CA friends give me a hard time about this)

-          You know what a “bubbler” is (Also something I get a hard time about saying. This = Water Fountain, btw)

-          You’ve gone Candlepin Bowling  (I have a trophy related to this. I was dumbfounded when I realize it didn’t exist in other places

I always wanted an ice cream cake for my birthday growing up (my birthday is in November) and could never get one.  But then when I was in high school we got one of those fancy DQ that sells food and that was open in November.  I was so happy that year!

I don't like the marshmallow filling that whoopie pies have. I prefer gobs.
    My birthday is in November, and I always ask for Ice Cream cake and my mom normally ignores my request and makes me something gross like Root Beer Float cake which I specifically told her I didn't want...but when she listened to me, I got a Carvel Ice Cream Cake. This is one of those things that you realize "Oh crap, I'm an adult and can buy it ANY day that I want"

We have multiple sources for Ice Cream cakes including the grocery store, Carvel, Friendly's (a restaurant), and Baskin Robbins.
    image   imageimage

• i prefer carrot cake whoopie pies.
    image   imageimage

• MuppetFan said:

Only rainbow sprinkles are sprinkles here.There's a distinction. I'm surprised that doesn't carry to VT with the Jimmies. V

How funny!  Yeah, we don't use the term Jimmies at all!
  • daria24daria24 member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer
    I'm from PA and apparently there was a friggin war last year over whether PA or NE created the whoopie pie. I always thought they were a Central PA thing.
    edited May 2013
    daria24 said:
    I'm from PA and apparently there was a friggin war last year over whether PA or NE created the whoopie pie. I always thought they were a Central PA thing.
    I didn't even know it was a regional thing until today. So who won the war?
    image   imageimage

• There's chocolate jimmies and rainbow jimmies... sprinkles are the little dots (round jimmies).

Around me it's "bubblah" not bubbler =)

I could never measure distance in mileage, traffic hello!

Whoopie pies don't exist anywhere else? Really?

We are seriously our own little country up here. The rest of the US has no clue what we are saying half the time!

Anniversary
  • Oh man, what I wouldn't give for a maple creemee right now! Taking my native Texan husband Candlepin bowling was epic. Transplanted Mainer in the deep south, y'all.

• edited May 2013
    You know you're from New England when

You buy your liquor, beer and wine at the packie or package store. 
    You prefer your seafood, especially whole bellies, deep fried.
    You've had a Fluffernutter, Stateline Chips and a Devil Dog in your brown bag lunch for school.
    You drive around a rotary, rather than a round-a-bout.
    You wonder why everyone else has an accent.

edit- forgot they removed our locations from our screen names.

• Here are my Okie-isms:

• You say ya'll ... many times a day.
    • Bedlam is a BIG deal.
    • You can tell when it's tornado weather.
    • When you drive through a neighborhood anyone out walking will smile and wave at you.
    • You've worn flip flops in the winter.
    • You have stopped to let a family of deer cross the road.
    • You thought the twister ride at Universal Studios wasn't windy enough.
    • You know who your neighbors are, how many children they have, and when one of them gets married or graduates.
    • There are at least 2 to 3 Sonics, McDonalds, and Little Ceasars in your town.
    • You've been off-roading - many times.
    • You or someone you know was born, raised and still lives in the same town.
    • You know that Miami, Oklahoma and Miami, Florida are pronounced two different ways.
    • You plan events around football games.
    • You are a Cowboy or Sooners fan.
    • You learned how to do country and western dances at school.
    • A tornado warning siren is your signal to go out in the yard and look for a funnel.
    • You can properly pronounce Eufaula, Gotebo, Okemah and Chickasha.
    • You know exactly what calf fries are, and eat them anyway.
    • You think that people who complain about the wind in other states are sissies.
    • It doesn't bother you to use an airport named for a man who died in an airplane crash.
    • You have owned at least one belt buckle bigger than your fist.
    • A bad traffic jam involves two cars staring each other down at a four-way stop, each determined to be the most polite and let the other go first.
    • It doesn't seem odd to see the term "chicken fried chicken" on a menu.
    • You save all your life for your dream vacation, and use it to go to the OU/Texas game.
    • It doesn't seem peculiar if your sweetie says "I'm going in to town for something" even though you live in town.
    • You don't turn on the news until 20 minutes past the hour, because that's the only thing you care about anyway.
    • Your quarterback is hurt and it is the top story on the six o'clock news.
    • You don't buy all your vegetables at the grocery store.
    • You go to the State Fair for your only vacation.
    • You can drive 80 mph on a two-lane dirt road with one hand, but driving 45 mph on a four-lane expressway in a city scares you to death.
    • You wear cowboy boots to church.
    • You know that everything goes better with Ranch.
    • You learned how to shoot a gun before you learned how to multiply.
    • You know what "Orange Power" and "Crimson & Cream" means.

Any questions? :)

• arrippaarrippa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2013

I had never heard of jimmies until I moved to Boston. There are a few differences that I had to get use to coming from Cali. The biggest thing, in Boston, you can cross the street anywhere as long as you don't get in the way of cars. In Cali, you do get jaywalking tickets.

My old roomate was from Saugus and had a thick accent. It took a few years of living with her to finally understand everything she said.

They have whoopie pies in Cali. I had them before I moved here. Cannolis on the other hand, were new to me.

• daria24 said:

My cousin and my mom got into an arguement about this a couple of years ago. My mom is from PA and she even sided that the whoopie pie is a New England creation.

I looked up some "you know you're from Connecticut" these are pretty accurate:
    1) You shopped at either Caldor or Bradlee's. Yes, both were in the town I grew up in.
    2) You prayed to God that Dr. Mel's snow accumulation was right and school will be closed the next day. RIP Dr. Mel!
    3) You understand how extremly important taking the highway vs. taking the merritt is. 4
    4) Mrs. Vince McMahon was almost your governor
    5) You were sad about the Whalers leaving
    6) You still brag about Louis' Lunch
    7) You've come to blows arguing about which pizza is better in New Haven Pepe's or Sally's (duh, Sally's is! Frank Pepe's pizza are a bunch of sell-outs now!)
    8) Half of your high school went to UConn
    9) You've been offered crack if you've lived in one of Connecticut's 3 major towns (my bf grew up in New Haven and was offered crack AND sexual services from a hooker when he was like 13. Real nice city)
    10) You knew about Mianus before Jackass was there.

There's a ton, but these were my favorite.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • I feel extremely sheltered right now. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • A tornado warning siren is your signal to go out in the yard and look for a funnel.

Yep! That's my favorite. Do we all do this?

• I had never heard of jimmies until I moved to Boston. There are a few differences that I had to get use to coming from Cali. The biggest thing, in Boston, you can cross the street anywhere as long as you don't get in the way of cars. In Cali, you do get jaywalking tickets.

My old roomate was from Saugus and had a thick accent. It took a few years of living with her to finally understand everything she said.

They have whoopie pies in Cali. I had them before I moved here. Cannolis on the other hand, were new to me.

This is one of my favorite things about this city. That, and the ability/"permission" to "flip a b!tch" wherever you damn well please in front of a cop. Not sure if that's a regional term, it means make a u-turn in the middle of the street.

I know I do. And once I got pelted by hail while standing in my driveway in shorts and hate feet.

Where are you from? I can't tell on the new format.
  • Here's a Texas list:

1. You say y’all to address a group of people.

2. Every place you go yo can see people wearing people shirts or caps for Texas A&M or University of Texas.

3. Brewed iced tea is available at every restaurant. (even mc donalds)

4. You say Fixinto.

5. You know 4 seasons- Almost Summer, Summer, Still Summer and Christmas.

6. You measure distance in minutes.

7. You see more cops on horses than squad cars.

8. You get out of school when there is an inch of snow, or rain.

9. You know someone who has a belt buckle bigger than your fist.

10. You know everything tastes better with ranch dressing.

11. You go to a gas station and there is a sign that reads: No shoes, No shirt, No service.

12. You have known someone who attempted to fry an egg on the sidewalk.

13. You shop at H.E.B.

14. You have had to tell someone that you don’t ride a horse to school.

15. You know that you’re not supposed to pronounce the H in Humble.

16. You have ever burned your hand on a car door.

17. You use A/C 12 months a year.

18. You know a sunscreen formula less than 30 SPF is a joke.

19. You only eat Blue Bell Ice cream.

20. You have always wondered what it would be like to have a white Christmas.

21. You have been to Paris without leaving the state.

22. You choose a side between Dallas/Fortworth or Houston.

23. You know conversational Spanish without having taken a class.

24. Your family owns at least one pick up truck.

25. Pecan Pie.

26. The UT/A&M debate can decide a relationship.

27. You plan your life around a football schedule.

28. You know how to pronounce Kuykendahl.

29. Buc-ees.

30. Steak and potatoes is always an acceptable dinner.

31. All your plans stop when the rodeo comes to town.

32. “The stars at night are big and bright…” is followed by a chorus of everyone in the general vicinity.

33. The rodeo is just as important as the super bowl.

34. You know “Don’t mess with Texas” is an anti-littering campaign.

35. You remember the Alamo without having to be told.

36. You know where most cities are without checking a map.

37. Whataburger (just like you like it)

38. You know people who keep guns in their trucks at all times.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • 39. When you ask for a "coke" your waiter/waitress asks what type of soda you would like.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • daria24daria24 member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer
    snippet17 said:
    How can you say your from PA and call them the same thing? Or are you from Eastern PA.  I can understand that.  I grew up in Central PA and always thought gobs started as a dutch PA food item.
    I'm from Lebanon County. They were always called whoopie pies in the bakeries there. 

@MuppetFanhttp://lancasteronline.com/article/local/353107_Pa--and-Maine-in-whoopie-pie-fight.html I think my mother told me that they conceded to Maine eventually.
  • lisabeats said:

I had never heard of jimmies until I moved to Boston. There are a few differences that I had to get use to coming from Cali. The biggest thing, in Boston, you can cross the street anywhere as long as you don't get in the way of cars. In Cali, you do get jaywalking tickets.

This is one of my favorite things about this city. That, and the ability/"permission" to "flip a b!tch" wherever you damn well please in front of a cop. Not sure if that's a regional term, it means make a u-turn in the middle of the street.

"Bang a U-ey"
    Anniversary
  • I had to google what a whoopie pie was. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • misshart00misshart00 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited May 2013
    snippet17 said:

A tornado warning siren is your signal to go out in the yard and look for a funnel.

I doubt we have a tornado siren.  I would be so confused if I heard this.

And it goes off every Saturday at noon, the "lunch bell" or "noon bell."

Edit: I don't like not being able to see where people are from. It would make this thread so much easier.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards