Wedding Etiquette Forum

Cash Bars - Everything you need to know in one place

Re: Cash Bars - Everything you need to know in one place

• *facepalm* I give up.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Our budget just got out of control and we had to start cutting costs, alcohol was the easiest and biggest thing we could get rid of. If I could afford to pay I would, but I just can't. My dress cost way more then I planned and fiance upgraded our room without telling me so we have to cut costs.
    You should definitely tell all your guests that you TOTALLY would have paid for their drinks like a good hostess, but Oh emmm geee you just HAD to have the perfect dress.  I'm sure they totally won't mind since they get to stare at your pretty dress.
    Don't worry guys, I have the Wedding Police AND the Whambulance on speed dial!
  • Cash bars are a regional thing. No one in my area thinks it's rude.

OP is rude for making such a blanket statement about something. If you don't like cash bars, don't have one. Same goes for lots of things in life. Abortions, divorce, kids. If you don't like 'em. Simply don't have 'em. End of story.
  • jaimkirk said:
    Cash bars are a regional thing. No one in my area thinks it's rude.

OP is rude for making such a blanket statement about something. If you don't like cash bars, don't have one. Same goes for lots of things in life. Abortions, divorce, kids. If you don't like 'em. Simply don't have 'em. End of story.
    Oh really? Please tell us where you're from.  I guarantee at least one person on this board is from there and does find them rude.

It's rude to make your guests pay for things.  End of story.
    Don't worry guys, I have the Wedding Police AND the Whambulance on speed dial!
  • jaimkirk said:
    Cash bars are a regional thing. No one in my area thinks it's rude.

Did you read the thread? Obviously not. Regional "difference" (which don't exist btw) are addressed thoroughly in previous posts. This is an etiquette board. We post about etiquette. I'm sorry your family and friends are rude enough to expect others to pay for the expenses of their parties.
  • Regional difference DOES exist. And etiquette isn't a list of rules. It's a set of guidelines. Get your heads out of Emily Post's ass.
  • omg because 1 person finds them rude in an area means they are banned for eternity

you guys are fucking ridiculous
  • "It's rude to make your guests pay for things. End of story"

Well then, I sure hope your guests stole the money they put in the card for your wedding gift.

• Living in a certain place doesn't give you an excuse to be rude. If everyone in your region does it - which they don't - than be the exception and have an open bar. Not a hard concept to get.
  • Oh, get off the word "rude." Let it go. You want to know what "rude" is? It's an opinion. You want to know what an opinion isn't? A fact. I think most of you are forgetting that very real distinction.
  • jaimkirk said:
    Oh, get off the word "rude." Let it go. You want to know what "rude" is? It's an opinion. You want to know what an opinion isn't? A fact. I think most of you are forgetting that very real distinction.
    Okay, no one here is going to stop you from having a cash bar. And when people have very low opinions of you after your wedding as a result, you can remember that.
  • You're entitled to your opinion, like I said before, but your guests are also entitled to theirs which will likely be that you are a bad host. Look, I didn't use the word rude once. High five. This board isn't about fact vs opinion. It's about ETIQUETTE. You come looking for insight on etiquette, you'll find it here, but don't get defensive when it becomes clear you aren't following proper etiquette and people call you out on it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2013
    where's the chapter where emily post says to not be assholes in general cuz you missed that reading
  • My wedding is done and over. No one had low opinions. We had open bar during cocktail hour and wine service throughout all of dinner. There was plenty (read: PLENTY) of free booze.

There are many, many things I judge brides on at their weddings. Cash bar simply isn't one of them.
  • where's the chapter where emily post says to not be assholes in general cuz you missed that reading
    It's after the chapter that states that it's a waste of time to sit around on an E board offering no productive advice and calling everyone assholes for following etiquette on the etiquette board.
  • isn't that what you're doing
  • Aurora - you must be so proud. You spend time on boards just quoting Emily Post, as if it's your own personal bible. Please.
  • jaimkirk said:
    My wedding is done and over. No one had low opinions. We had open bar during cocktail hour and wine service throughout all of dinner. There was plenty (read: PLENTY) of free booze.

There are many, many things I judge brides on at their weddings. Cash bar simply isn't one of them.
    So your wedding is done and over and you felt the need to come to a site, which you just signed up for after your wedding, to make a wrong statement in an etiquette board. What is the point of that?
  • jaimkirk said:
    My wedding is done and over. No one had low opinions. We had open bar during cocktail hour and wine service throughout all of dinner. There was plenty (read: PLENTY) of free booze.

LOL! This is your opinion however, and also not fact. I'm not overly bothered by many racist opinions people have, but that doesn't make those opinions good or right.

Please explain how a cash bar is being considerate of your guests' comfort.

• An opinion can't be wrong.

And nope, I've been on TK under my old email and had to re-sign up with my new one after my wedding.

• But you must be better than I am. You've been on these boards for a year now. You're the expert. My bad.
  • did you really just compare a cash bar to racism
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards