Chit Chat
Options

There are people missing.

Re: There are people missing.

• Options
    My skin is all itchy after reading the past couple pages.
    Anniversary

• Options
    Bats. Oh Jesus. Horrible flying rats. With deadly poop.
    No. 
  • Options
    My cats caught a mouse and were only toying with it and wouldn't finish the job. 

I did this: 

A couple weeks ago I came home and was going to water the little seedlings I had in the window and found a brown furry bat taking a siesta amongst my baby vegetable plants. 
    The following is the text message that FI promptly received, "Holy ******* ****there is a ******* bat in the house!!! When will you be home?!?!?!" He replied with, "You know, it's been a long hot day so I think I'll stop for an ice cold beer at the bar." 

I cant' share my reply.
    Oh gosh.  All I can think about is Stellaluna.  What did you do with the bat?  You could probably just wrap it in a towel and bring it outside, right?

I guess my real question is how the fuck a BAT got inside your house.  Whoa.
    I would love to have a bat in my house. Bats eat bugs. Bats are my besties.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • Options
    BreMRBreMR member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    I am horrified by the baby spiders coming off of the giant spiders.  I mean, that shit is what horror movies are made of.  Sometimes I think I'd love nothing more than to live down south, and then I remember... Minnesota doesn't breed giant ass spiders because it's too cold. I think I'll take my six month winters.
  • Options
    @emmaaa I can't kill the mice when they get in my house. I had a full on sobfest one night when I saw a mouse run on to the glue trap FI had set out. Inconsolable. I hate the fact that they're in my living space but I can't kill them either. I just pray that I never see the mouse again and hope that it makes its way out of my house on its own.
    A couple of years ago we had some mice in our house. I got humane traps (lure them in with peanut butter, it shuts and you can take them outside). Well, turns out all the mice in the house were babies. When I took them outside they tried to follow me in because I was warm. I wanted to cry for the poor things.
    eyeroll
  • Options
    My cats caught a mouse and were only toying with it and wouldn't finish the job. 

I did this: 

A couple weeks ago I came home and was going to water the little seedlings I had in the window and found a brown furry bat taking a siesta amongst my baby vegetable plants. 
    The following is the text message that FI promptly received, "Holy ******* ****there is a ******* bat in the house!!! When will you be home?!?!?!" He replied with, "You know, it's been a long hot day so I think I'll stop for an ice cold beer at the bar." 

I cant' share my reply.
    Oh gosh.  All I can think about is Stellaluna.  What did you do with the bat?  You could probably just wrap it in a towel and bring it outside, right?

I sat outside on the porch until FI got home. He put it in an empty coffee can and from that point on I have no idea. 

Our house is an old farmhouse so I'm certain it isn't critter proof. It did explain why the cats had knocked off a plant and broke the pot during the night. They must have been trying to get it. 

I know bats are good. I just don't want to share my space with them. They will have a much better life if they stay outside. 
    *msstaticfancypants*
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @Inkdancer Oh that's so sad!! I know that it's not a good idea to have mice in your house for multiple reasons but they're just so little and cute and look absolutely terrified when you happen upon them. I think we may have mice in our new house so I'll have to look into getting humane traps and getting them outside during the summer months.
  • Options
    Inkdancer said:

I did this: 

I cant' share my reply.

I would love to have a bat in my house. Bats eat bugs. Bats are my besties.
    Bats and dragonflies like to eat mosquitoes. I need to put up bat houses and learn how to speak dragonfly. I need to contract both species into hanging out by the doors of my house like bouncers.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    @emmaaa I can't kill the mice when they get in my house. I had a full on sobfest one night when I saw a mouse run on to the glue trap FI had set out. Inconsolable. I hate the fact that they're in my living space but I can't kill them either. I just pray that I never see the mouse again and hope that it makes its way out of my house on its own.
    The first place that DH and I lived together was a basement apartment. I had to take the commuter train to school, which meant early mornings. I also had a night class so I would get home at 10:30 and be on the train at 6:50. I had just gotten home from night class and went straight to bed. As I was falling asleep, DH came in and said he saw a mouse. I freaked out because I hate having mice in my house, and also, what did he want me to do about it late at night? And how could he expect me to sleep now that I knew there was a mouse in the house? He decided that the only thing to do was to try to catch the mouse. He spent a good 20 minutes chasing it around the living room with a garbage can. He decided it was too fast, so the only way he was going to catch it was if he injured or stunned it, so he picked up my giant baggie of spare change that I used for bus fare, and threw that at the mouse. His plan actually worked, and he was able to get the mouse under the garbage can. That lead to a new problem - how to get the mouse out of the house. We were able to find cardboard to slip under the garbage can while keeping the mouse trapped inside. He took the whole can outside, crossed the street and walked down the block to leave the mouse several houses away so it would be confused and couldn't find it's way back. Unfortunately, the mouse had friends so we had to set a bunch of traps. The mice were living in this crawl space that was difficult for my very tall DH to get into. I refused to go anywhere near the mice, so he had to awkwardly climb in and out every day to get rid of dead mice and put out more traps. He was super annoyed with me because I touch mice at work, but I told him that there is a huge difference between a mouse in a cage that I am being paid to touch and a mouse in my house.

Anniversary
  • Options
    My cat catches the mice in the middle of the night. I wake up to her torturing them and pouncing. Then we have to put them out of their misery and take them outside.

One thing about spiders: I was trying to fall asleep one night and I felt something crawl on my arm. I looked down (I sleep with the TV on so there was some light) and there is a HUGE ASS SPIDER crawling on me. I screamed, threw the covers off, and jumped out of bed. I never found that spider. Poor FI was already asleep and he stayed up until I fell back alseep. 

• Options
    BreMRBreMR member
    emmaaa said:
    My cat catches the mice in the middle of the night. I wake up to her torturing them and pouncing. Then we have to put them out of their misery and take them outside.

One thing about spiders: I was trying to fall asleep one night and I felt something crawl on my arm. I looked down (I sleep with the TV on so there was some light) and there is a HUGE ASS SPIDER crawling on me. I screamed, threw the covers off, and jumped out of bed. I never found that spider. Poor FI was already asleep and he stayed up until I fell back alseep. 

I use to wake up a lot screaming about spiders on me and scare the eff out of my FI (there would not be spiders on me, I was just dreaming)  So one time, when a giant ass spider WAS crawling on my arm and i woke up screaming my FI just tried to pat me and shush me back to sleep, it took me a few minutes to convince him that there was in fact a spider on me.  He found it and killed it... Worst. Thing. Ever.
  • Options
    A few years ago I was lying in bed watching tv and saw a spider across the room on the wall. I attempted to smash it with my shoe but missed and only got a few of it's legs before it fell behind my dresser. I naively thought it was dead. A couple nights later it was next to my headboard. I was convinced it was coming for me for taking a couple of its legs! I smeared that sucker all down the wall when I went after it with my shoe that time. I knew it was dead!
    *msstaticfancypants*
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm terrified of roaches. Like have a full own phobia. And waterbugs? Ugh!!!
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Options
    Urg this reminds me of our stink bug problems. I know they are harmless but I still don't like them. So V usually has to get them and carry them out of our apartment. One night I was on the computer while was sleeping. Then I saw a stink bug on my keyboard, I flipped out and woke poor V up. He spent the next 30 min trying to find it.
  • Options
    pinkcow13 said:
    I'm terrified of roaches. Like have a full own phobia. And waterbugs? Ugh!!!
    When I was about...12 I was at a Joann's Fabric (ect, whatever it is now) and went to the bathroom and there was a big old waterbug crawling on the floor. So clearly I ran out terrified.

That Joann's is still there and I still will not use their bathroom. 
  • Options
    FI and I occasionally have "the talk" about gender equality. Usually this is me reminding him that I'm not his mama or his maid. He then reminds me that I'm not his mechanic or handyman. We're occasionally jerks to each other.

This all falls apart when there's a bug. That's his job. I dragged his ass out of bed the other day to kill a particularly horrible creature that was on the wall near my bed. He whined but bug-killing is a non-negotiable duty.
  • Options
    Bats. Oh Jesus. Horrible flying rats. With deadly poop.
    No. 
    That's what my mom calls pigeons!
  • Options
    I'm the same way. I use peppermint oil (essential oil, not the kind used in cooking). I put it on cotton balls and stick the cotton at the very back of some of the cabinets. Don't let it touch a container of food, because it can mess with it if you do and affect the taste. 

The smell is too harsh on a mouse's sensitive nose. Mice will be repelled without having it be hurt in the process. You have to reapply the peppermint oil every now and then, but I just reuse the same cotton balls, and put them right back every few weeks. 
  • Options
    I was house sitting once (and was staying there) and I lost their two snakes. They banged against the side of the thing and knocked the lid off and got out (apparently, this has happened before). Found the 6 inch baby one. Could not find the 5 foot boa. For days. The owners finally found her when they got home.
  • Options
    @misshart00 You are a better person than I am. There is no way I could stay in a house with snakes.

• Options
    Oh and one of the Great Danes was throwing up. I was convinced he ate the snake.
  • Options
    Urg this reminds me of our stink bug problems. I know they are harmless but I still don't like them. So V usually has to get them and carry them out of our apartment. One night I was on the computer while was sleeping. Then I saw a stink bug on my keyboard, I flipped out and woke poor V up. He spent the next 30 min trying to find it.
    FILs had a big problem with stink bugs this year. They were ALL over their bedroom and FFIL woke up a few times to one of those suckers crawling across his chest. It got to the point where they had to pull down all the sheets on the bed and pull off pillowcases every night to check for them. Grosses me out.
  • Options
    I keep finding stink bugs in our house. I found three just this past weekend. I don't know what is going on all of a sudden.
  • Options
    BreMRBreMR member
    Against my better judgment I googled what a stink bug is.  AGH!!! 

I don't even know why I keep coming back to this thread.
  • Options
    I don't know what a stink bug is, but I don't like the sound of it.
  • Options
    If they are Western Conifer Beetles, they're not that bad. They just kind of doodle slowly around the house and then get confused by lights. I just coerce them onto pieces of paper and then flick them outside. Sometimes the cats play with them and the bugs fart on the cats' faces. They like to eat wood so it usually smells like a confusing pine or apple smell. Bugs are weird.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    So this past weekend I was clearing out my parent's garage, and found a dead mouse. I promptly cried, and went indoors. Hour later, I buried it and sang it some Dixie Chicks. Not over it yet.
  • Options
    Gross. I hope we don't have stinkbugs in Michigan. I don't wanna Google it to find out. I had always thought we were pretty tame, creature-wise... I guess not if we have demon piggyback spider explosions. And earwigs. EWW earwigs!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards