Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

NER: What the heck do I do?

Re: NER: What the heck do I do?

• Options
    @wrongsideoftheotion If you love this stranger, wait for him. If you have to have him right now, you don't love him enough to be in a relationship with him.

The answer is this: 'date' him if you want, long distance, until his girls are old enough to move out and he can move to England. If you're really and truly dedicated to this man, this is what you have to do. Any other avenue is selfish and destructive. 

Achievement Unlocked: Survived Your Wedding! 
  • Options
    Guys, just because she said "y'all" doesn't mean she isn't from England. That's kind of nitpicky. 

I use a lot of English phrases because I've picked them up from various friends, TV shows, and books. That doesn't mean I'm not American.
  • Options
    Yep...I still think this is total MUD. You go to numerous wedding boards, post the same scenario yet leave out very important details here, then you post it on one of the boards known to have drama? And then you won't answer questions. MUD MUD MUD!
    In her defense, it looks like she posted on Wedding Bee (and the update about not being pregnant) before she even made the initial post on TK, which could be why it was never mentioned here.
    Yes but that would have all been useful information. Like that she met him online, saw him for a week, had a pregnancy scare. All of that is relevent, not just the preggo part.
    That's true. I can't think of any reasons why she left that other info out.

• Options
    Am I the only one who is concerned that this guy could be a nut job? Or abusive? I really liked my fiance as soon as I met him. And decided I was in love with him about a month, two months into dating. But I still was not absolutely convinced that he wouldn't turn out to be a bad guy, because 2 months (even though I saw him nearly every day) just wasn't that long. It was only after a prolonged amount of time where I saw how he handled life and treated other people that I fully believed he was a decent human being, which made me willing to move in with him. If I had a child, I would have been waiting a lot longer to make that determination. Am I just super paranoid? 
  • Options

Questions asked by other OPs that are as of yet unanswered:

1. Why did you break up with your son's father?

How did you meet your current bf (FI?)? It doesn't sound like it was
    through a business trip or anything so... was it  online? I don't really
    understand how or why you entered into a relationship with someone from
    another country when you had a son and therefore an important
    foundation in the UK.

3. Have you discussed this at all with the Dad??  Does he know anything
    about your new relationship or any of the ideas you're having?

4. How does your boyfriend's custody of his children work?  Do they live in
    the same town and see each other every week?  Do they live farther away
    from him and only see him for holidays/summers?

5. If you're so sure you're getting married anyway, what's the harm in
    waiting until the girls are out of the house and he can move to England
    with you?

1) Now answered

2) Now answered

I didn't plan to fall in love with him. It happened. I can't help that.

Quote box is weird, I'm ditching numbers.

Ex knows I'm in a relationship with someone, knows he's out of the country, and knows I'm serious enough about it to consider it a relationship, even though we're not physically together.

FI and his ex have a pretty similar set-up to what I have here, except the girls are in school so it's more a week/weekend thing.

We can wait to get married. Like I've said, we're already looking at two and a half years before that happens, and that's about the quickest. We're aware it could be longer.

*** not post related***

Brits steal Americanisms all the time. I've been saying "y'all" for years.
  • Options
    lilacck28 said:

Am I the only one who is concerned that this guy could be a nut job? Or abusive? I really liked my fiance as soon as I met him. And decided I was in love with him about a month, two months into dating. But I still was not absolutely convinced that he wouldn't turn out to be a bad guy, because 2 months (even though I saw him nearly every day) just wasn't that long. It was only after a prolonged amount of time where I saw how he handled life and treated other people that I fully believed he was a decent human being, which made me willing to move in with him. If I had a child, I would have been waiting a lot longer to make that determination. Am I just super paranoid? 

I thought this too. Or my bigger concern is that he likes her but she's the one jumping the gun and calling immigration etc.
  • Options
    sarawifenowsarawifenow member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2014
    If there's a way to prove this is not MUD, I'm okay with that. It's very real, I'm genuinely here to hear what y'all have to say. As hard as it is to read what people are saying about how this can't work etc, as bad as it is knowing people out there think my son is not my number one priority, the only thing that is annoying me is the MUD calls, because I'm genuinely here for advice, and that is all.
    I'm entitled to think (and post) what I think of this post. You can't censor your responses.
    Absolutely you are, and I accept that. Censor my responses...? Like, I can't tell you what to post? Also correct. All I'm saying is if there is a way to prove otherwise, I'll do so. Such as can I post a picture on the mobile version of the site of my plane ticket? A screenshot of a bit of our conversation? I'm going to prettygirllost's post now so it'll take me a while to respond to those questions. I was replying to another post when she posted hers.

Once again this is your answer. I will wait for the answers, but I don't think they will come.

ETA: Thanks for proving me wrong! You answered as I was posting.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

2. How did you meet your current bf (FI?)? It doesn't sound like it was through a business trip or anything so... was it  online? I don't really understand how or why you entered into a relationship with someone from another country when you had a son and therefore an important foundation in the UK.

3. Have you discussed this at all with the Dad??  Does he know anything about your new relationship or any of the ideas you're having?

4. How does your boyfriend's custody of his children work?  Do they live in the same town and see each other every week?  Do they live farther away from him and only see him for holidays/summers?

5. If you're so sure you're getting married anyway, what's the harm in waiting until the girls are out of the house and he can move to England with you?

1) Now answered 2) Now answered I didn't plan to fall in love with him. It happened. I can't help that. Quote box is weird, I'm ditching numbers. Ex knows I'm in a relationship with someone, knows he's out of the country, and knows I'm serious enough about it to consider it a relationship, even though we're not physically together. FI and his ex have a pretty similar set-up to what I have here, except the girls are in school so it's more a week/weekend thing. We can wait to get married. Like I've said, we're already looking at two and a half years before that happens, and that's about the quickest. We're aware it could be longer. *** not post related*** Brits steal Americanisms all the time. I've been saying "y'all" for years.
    Unless you want to be a homewrecker, you're looking at a lot more than two years.

• Options
    I think this situation is going to be shitty no matter how you slice it. I would probably jump ship if I were you. As in, break up and date someone near you. And see a counselor. But, if this guy is really the cat's meow, I'd continue to date him, with some trips back and forth, for a very very very long time (years and years, when both of your children are MUCH older) before considering any of this. That sucks, but at least you won't be potentially damaging your children, and definitely damaging your relationships with your children. 
  • Options
    I agree with PPs. If this is real, you need to be REALLY careful! Don't put your child at risk for this guy.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

2. How did you meet your current bf (FI?)? It doesn't sound like it was through a business trip or anything so... was it  online? I don't really understand how or why you entered into a relationship with someone from another country when you had a son and therefore an important foundation in the UK.

3. Have you discussed this at all with the Dad??  Does he know anything about your new relationship or any of the ideas you're having?

4. How does your boyfriend's custody of his children work?  Do they live in the same town and see each other every week?  Do they live farther away from him and only see him for holidays/summers?

5. If you're so sure you're getting married anyway, what's the harm in waiting until the girls are out of the house and he can move to England with you?

1) Now answered 2) Now answered I didn't plan to fall in love with him. It happened. I can't help that. Quote box is weird, I'm ditching numbers. Ex knows I'm in a relationship with someone, knows he's out of the country, and knows I'm serious enough about it to consider it a relationship, even though we're not physically together. FI and his ex have a pretty similar set-up to what I have here, except the girls are in school so it's more a week/weekend thing. We can wait to get married. Like I've said, we're already looking at two and a half years before that happens, and that's about the quickest. We're aware it could be longer. *** not post related*** Brits steal Americanisms all the time. I've been saying "y'all" for years.
    And you ralize that you will likely not be granted a visa to remain in the US for that amount of time, right?

As soon as you tell our immigration officers that you want a visa to go live with your BF so that you guys can get married they are gonna slap a huge DENIED stamp on your application.  Immigration officers assume that every visitor applicant is an intending immigrant, and thus they will want you to unequivocally prove that you are not in fact trying to immigrate to the US, or they will deny your visa.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    I'm now more convinced this is real and not MUD, but for about five minutes I was seriously wondering if J'ashley had returned.
  • Options

lilacck28 said:

I thought this too. Or my bigger concern is that he likes her but she's the one jumping the gun and calling immigration etc.
    He called immigration.

He's been completely upfront with me throughout.

I know he WAS married. I know he's not any more.

Will he end up being a bad guy? Of course he could... But what if we're still considering all this in a years time, when we've spent longer in person, spent over a year getting to know each other, as is planned?

Even on top of all this... If there's no way to do this without negatively affecting children, we will continue a LDR, FaceTime and vacations, until circumstances change.
  • Options
    He called immigration. He's been completely upfront with me throughout. I know he WAS married. I know he's not any more. Will he end up being a bad guy? Of course he could... But what if we're still considering all this in a years time, when we've spent longer in person, spent over a year getting to know each other, as is planned? Even on top of all this... If there's no way to do this without negatively affecting children, we will continue a LDR, FaceTime and vacations, until circumstances change.
    So for the next ten years, right? You said his youngest was 8, I think. 

• Options
    He called immigration. He's been completely upfront with me throughout. I know he WAS married. I know he's not any more. Will he end up being a bad guy? Of course he could... But what if we're still considering all this in a years time, when we've spent longer in person, spent over a year getting to know each other, as is planned? Even on top of all this... If there's no way to do this without negatively affecting children, we will continue a LDR, FaceTime and vacations, until circumstances change.
    And what did they tell him?

Check out this thread in which the OP married her grad student BF in order to keep him here in the US and he was deported anyways since his visa had expired: http://forums.theknot.com/discussion/1033938/best-way-to-tell-wedding-guests-we-were-secretly-married-2-years-ago/p1

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    I freakin love that octopus gif.

Sorry. Side note.
  • Options
    Can I post pics from my phone on here?
    I have both the printed boarding pass out, and the return boarding card here, I'll take a pic right now and upload it if that's do-able.
  • Options
    Can I post pics from my phone on here? I have both the printed boarding pass out, and the return boarding card here, I'll take a pic right now and upload it if that's do-able.

Yes, just click "attach file" and it'll let you upload pics from your phone.
  • Options

Were you and your ex married? If not, did you talk about marriage? Was it on the table or was he against it?

We were not. We talked about it a couple of times over the years but I was just never really into it. He wasn't against it in any way that I'm aware of.
  • Options
    lilacck28lilacck28 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited August 2014
    Sounds like you know this is awful. That's good-- a sign of sanity. Normally, I'd say thinking ahead is a good idea. But you've thought ahead and can see all the problems, but still kind of don't want to think about them, when logic says "FIND SOMEONE ELSE." However, you don't know if any of this worry is moot or not because you have not given this relationship the years it needs to decide if thinking about these issues is relevant. If after those few years you are still interested in being with this person, THEN start thinking about logistics. But don't put yourself in a tizzy when you barely know the guy.

so, your answers are 
    1. therapy
    2. break up
    or
    3. just date long distance, and know that you will date long distance for years and years to come. 

I'm not sure there is more we can say?
  • Options
    The reason for me going to America, not him coming here, is because he has a much better job than me, owns his house, I told him I'd prefer to be there...

He's offered to come to the UK.
    Again, the reason he's not here now is children. I know it doesn't seem like it but neither of us are really into the idea of abandoning our kids.

As much as he's serious about wanting me to move there, never once has he pushed me to do so.
  • Options
    And what did they tell him?

Check out this thread in which the OP married her grad student BF in order to keep him here in the US and he was deported anyways since his visa had expired: http://forums.theknot.com/discussion/1033938/best-way-to-tell-wedding-guests-we-were-secretly-married-2-years-ago/p1

• Options
    I'm very close to going all "Dr. Laura" on this...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards