Chit Chat

Getting to know you.

Re: Getting to know you.

• SCREEN NAME: lovesclimbing

RELATIONSHIP STATUS: married

WHERE ARE YOU FROM? Alaska

WHERE IS YOUR SO FROM? Alaska

WHAT DO YOU DO FOR WORK? I work for a newspaper. I'm a journalist.

AND YOUR SO? H is a mechanic, but right now he is considering going back to school for engineering.

ANY KIDS? Not yet. Maybe in the next couple years. Although, if going back to school happens, it will likely be pushed back longer.

PETS? No. We really want a dog. We can't agree on whether to get a golden retriever (my favorite) or an Australian shepherd (his favorite.)

WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE CHEESE? I like most cheeses except bleu. My favorites are good 'ol cheddar, Havarti and quest fresco.

FAVORITE DRINK (boozy or not): Water. I also drink a lot of milk. I drink wine sometimes, but I'm not a big drinker. For wine, I like sweeter wines. I really want to try a moscato, I think I'd like it.

ANYTHING ELSE? I joined TK when I got engaged, posted a couple times, and then didn't really visit at all until after our wedding. Now, I stay because I like chatting and talking, and I like busier forums, like this one.

• esstee33 said:
    SCREEN NAME: garnetandgold60
    RELATIONSHIP STATUS: Married as of 5/10/14
    WHERE ARE YOU FROM? Born and raised in SW FL
    WHERE IS YOUR SO FROM? The FL city with the worst NFL team everrrrrrrrrr...
    WHAT DO YOU DO FOR WORK? Social Media/Marketing/Communications/Website Manager for a Builders Association & a Commercial Real Estate company (but looking for a full time job!)
    AND YOUR SO? Mortgage sales.
    ANY KIDS? Not planning on any for the next 5 years.
    PETS? Nope but dying to get a golden retriever when we buy a house!
    WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE CHEESE? Dubliner! Watching Outlander with Dubliner & red wine is my favorite "me time"
    FAVORITE DRINK (boozy or not): Beer! The darker the better, yum porters & stouts...and Malbec for wine is the bomb.
    ANYTHING ELSE? I've lurked on here since I got engaged last September and posted once or twice. I really want to get involved more but get nervous to sometimes. I also am an absolutely ridiculous book nerd (and general nerd). My big "brag" is that I currently own over 1,500 physical books (not including Kindle ones).
    Well that doesn't narrow it down at all. 
    Oh God you're right! That's a horrifying thought...

...and the Jags. It's the Jags. He's been a fan since birth, and I love him and football enough to go to the games but good lord in heaven it's painful. I drown my suffering in beer hahaha :)
    Anniversary
  • Ahhhh yeah. Earlier this year someone mentioned how weird it was that FL has 3 NFL teams and I struggled SO HARD to remember Jacksonville. I was like, "Wait, 3? It's just the Dolphins and Bucs!!" 

Whoooooops. 
  • @garnetandgold60 I'm assuming you're an FSU fan? FI is the biggest FSU fan I've ever met. He's obsessed haha. I went to Auburn and still love Auburn with all of my heart, but he's turned me into an FSU fan as well. It was very interesting at our house last January, needless to say.
    Anniversary

• esstee33 said:
    Ahhhh yeah. Earlier this year someone mentioned how weird it was that FL has 3 NFL teams and I struggled SO HARD to remember Jacksonville. I was like, "Wait, 3? It's just the Dolphins and Bucs!!" 

Whoooooops. 
    Yeah don't worry about it, they're so awful that during the MIA v JAX game they showed about 10 minutes of Jaxon De Ville (mascot) chasing a pigeon around the field.
    Anniversary
  • SCREEN NAME: garnetandgold60
    WHAT DO YOU DO FOR WORK? Social Media/Marketing/Communications/Website Manager for a Builders Association & a Commercial Real Estate company (but looking for a full time job!)
    WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE CHEESE? Dubliner! Watching Outlander with Dubliner & red wine is my favorite "me time"
    FAVORITE DRINK (boozy or not): Beer! The darker the better, yum porters & stouts...and Malbec for wine is the bomb.
    ANYTHING ELSE? I've lurked on here since I got engaged last September and posted once or twice. I really want to get involved more but get nervous to sometimes. I also am an absolutely ridiculous book nerd (and general nerd). My big "brag" is that I currently own over 1,500 physical books (not including Kindle ones).
    Can I come to your library?!  I love my place, but it is so tiny my fiance and I had to limit ourselves to one book shelf each.  The library is my new best friend.  I still go to the book store and the used book store (both like a block from my house) and gaze wistfully for hours...
  • @garnetandgold60 I'm assuming you're an FSU fan? FI is the biggest FSU fan I've ever met. He's obsessed haha. I went to Auburn and still love Auburn with all of my heart, but he's turned me into an FSU fan as well. It was very interesting at our house last January, needless to say.

SITB!
    Yup I'm a huge FSU fan (and I suck at coming up with clever screen names) and so is my H, we met there! and the "60" in my sn is for my grandpa, he was a football player at FSU in the 50s (played in the 1st FSU v UF game!). And that must have been a very stressful day, I can't imagine! I'm still liking y'all some though just for the Bama-Auburn game last year, seeing Saban so pissed just makes me laugh!
    Anniversary
  • SCREEN NAME: garnetandgold60
    Can I come to your library?!  I love my place, but it is so tiny my fiance and I had to limit ourselves to one book shelf each.  The library is my new best friend.  I still go to the book store and the used book store (both like a block from my house) and gaze wistfully for hours...
    The more the merrier! Books and booze for all! Huzzah! :)

I still go to the library a ton just because if I bought every book I've ever wanted to read we'd be overflowing and using them as chairs and tables. And I hate having to restrict! I said above that I had to choose my "favorites" to keep at the apartment, but once we get a house they're ALL coming home to momma! I need my libarary!
    Anniversary

SITB!
    Yup I'm a huge FSU fan (and I suck at coming up with clever screen names) and so is my H, we met there! and the "60" in my sn is for my grandpa, he was a football player at FSU in the 50s (played in the 1st FSU v UF game!). And that must have been a very stressful day, I can't imagine! I'm still liking y'all some though just for the Bama-Auburn game last year, seeing Saban so pissed just makes me laugh!
    FI wants to name one of our future children after one of the FSU legends. He's almost got me talked into it. Yeah the Iron Bowl last year was epic, most Auburn fans don't even really care that we lost the NC haha. And even though Bama beat us this year, I'm still riding the high from last year, sorrynotsorry lol
    Anniversary

•  @theycallmelinz I'm a Massachusetts girl but I did my freshman year at Auburn! I wanted a change of scenery and boy I was not prepared for that kind of southern football crazy. I transferred back to MA but I still root for them. And I'm pretty sure @hellosweetie1015 went there. 

• jenna8984 said:
    @jimandpam87 Are you at a Big 4 firm? Are you one of the freaks that actually enjoys public accounting? Have you taken any parts of the exam yet? I don't have enough credits to sit in MA and I aint spending the money to earn them so I will never take it. I did audit my first year out of college at a big firm and absolutely hated it so when they laid me off I was stoked. I got into staff accountant positions and I'd never go back to audit.
    I'm not at a Big 4, but I am working for a larger regional firm doing the tax side of things.  I don't think I'm "Type A" enough for Big 4 lol.  I'm not sure I'm in love with public, but I see it as a stepping stone for something more specialized later on.  Same for CPA.  I've only taken the FAR section, and I just found out a few days ago that I passed with exactly a 75.  So that's exciting, b/c I'd rather have 5 root canals than study for/take that section again. 

I'm pretty fresh out of school, so I'm currently just trying to jump through the hoops to get my career started.  It's nice to see someone else realizes the truth about Big 4.  I never had much of a desire to go that route! 
  • kat1114 said:
    MagicInk said:
    ANYTHING ELSE? I'm a 5 foot tall Redhead who looks like a teenager. Seriously. I'm 28 years old and get carded everytime. In a Province whose drinking age is 18. Everyone must think my FI is a cradlerobber since he's 30, and looks 30.
    Also a 5' tall 28 year old who gets carded everywhere. I get carded to see R rated movies. You only have to be 17!!!!
    I bought Call of Duty a couple of years ago at Toys R' Us and got carded.

At my mom's holiday party last weekend, her co-worker's husband asked me if I was in high school. 

I share the struggle.
    I was seated with the bride's old aunts that I had never met before at a wedding. They asked me when I was going to graduate high school. I was like, ummm I just graduated from a MSc program. 

Anniversary
  • wrigleyvillewrigleyville member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2014
    SCREEN NAME: wrigleyville

WHERE ARE YOU FROM? I was born and raised in northern Michigan, moved to the Detroit area for a while, moved to Chicago for grad school, moved back to the Detroit area, and then moved back to Chicago. :)

WHERE IS YOUR SO FROM? H is originally from Oregon. He moved to Michigan after we'd been dating for two years. I would have preferred to move to Oregon, because scenery, but I was making bank at that point and we figured it would be better for me to be the sugarmomma while he paid off his student loans.

WHAT DO YOU DO FOR WORK?  I used to be a psychiatrist, but I quit that career in favor of a new one. I'm back in school, wrapping up a few History credits so I can go to grad school for Museum Studies.

AND YOUR SO? H is a graphic designer and builds and maintains websites on the side.

ANY KIDS?  Hellllllllllll no.

PETS?  A fawn-colored pug (Alice) and a Siamese cat (Samantha)

WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE CHEESE?  I love all of it, except blue cheese. I really really hate blue cheese. I especially like the "Italian" combination - asiago, romano, parmesan, etc. - that they put on pizza or pasta to top it off. It's even better when it's slightly burned. Mmmmm.

FAVORITE DRINK (boozy or not):  Raspberry Lemonade Crystal Light, Margaritas (no salt), Milk (chocolate and regular), sangria, fruit punch, orange juice

ANYTHING ELSE?  I'm eating crock pot mac & cheese right now. It is taking all of my willpower to put a serving into a bowl instead of using potholders to set the crock pot dish on my desk so I can eat out of it directly. I'm also using a fork instead of the giant serving spoon. WILLPOWER.
  • I've been lurking & posting once in a blue moon so I'll use this opportunity to jump in :)

SCREEN NAME: summerlove2015

RELATIONSHIP STATUS: Engaged. Wedding is 6/20/15!

WHERE ARE YOU FROM? Western suburbs of Chicago...currently living in east/central Illinois

WHERE IS YOUR SO FROM? A small town in central Illinois

WHAT DO YOU DO FOR WORK? I'm a therapist. I'm currently part of the clinical staff at a therapeutic day school (aka an alternative school).

AND YOUR SO? FI is a director of curriculum for a school district

ANY KIDS? Nope. In the future for sure, but not for a couple years.

PETS? A kitty (that FI secretly loves even though he tells everyone he's not a cat person) and a black lab (that I love despite the fact that trying to clean up all the fur he sheds is a losing battle)

WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE CHEESE? Parmesan! 

FAVORITE DRINK (boozy or not): Diet Dr. Pepper for non-alcoholic. Alcoholic is a tough choice...probably sangria.

ANYTHING ELSE? I have lurked for 6+ months (originally got on as a MOH). Lurking is like people watching from the comfort of my couch. 
  • My favorite aunt lives in Albuquerque! It's a beautiful city. Her house is on a cliff over the Rio Grande so hot air balloons go right past her living room windows all the time. I miss that place so much! 
    That's awesome! We live in the mountains so we don't see balloons on a daily basis, but we do go to the balloon fiesta every year. :)
  • penguin44 said:
    @levioosa‌ I love Harney & Sons! I just discovered it last month, and I've already bought a bunch of different kinds.
    I love Harney & Sons! My favorite is the Royal Palace Tea. It's a black tea with hints of grapefruit and lemon, and it's absolutely amazing. Also, if you have Amazon, it's available on Prime.

• jenna8984 said:
    @jimandpam87 Are you at a Big 4 firm? Are you one of the freaks that actually enjoys public accounting? Have you taken any parts of the exam yet? I don't have enough credits to sit in MA and I aint spending the money to earn them so I will never take it. I did audit my first year out of college at a big firm and absolutely hated it so when they laid me off I was stoked. I got into staff accountant positions and I'd never go back to audit.
    I'm not at a Big 4, but I am working for a larger regional firm doing the tax side of things.  I don't think I'm "Type A" enough for Big 4 lol.  I'm not sure I'm in love with public, but I see it as a stepping stone for something more specialized later on.  Same for CPA.  I've only taken the FAR section, and I just found out a few days ago that I passed with exactly a 75.  So that's exciting, b/c I'd rather have 5 root canals than study for/take that section again. 

I'm pretty fresh out of school, so I'm currently just trying to jump through the hoops to get my career started.  It's nice to see someone else realizes the truth about Big 4.  I never had much of a desire to go that route! 
    Congrats on passing FAR! I'm doing well in my career but I think I could have been a step up/manager had I stayed at the firm longer before switching over to private. So as much as it sucks, you're making a good move right now. Good luck on the other sections! 

• I've been lurking & posting once in a blue moon so I'll use this opportunity to jump in :)

SCREEN NAME: summerlove2015

RELATIONSHIP STATUS: Engaged. Wedding is 6/20/15!

WHERE ARE YOU FROM? Western suburbs of Chicago...currently living in east/central Illinois

WHERE IS YOUR SO FROM? A small town in central Illinois

WHAT DO YOU DO FOR WORK? I'm a therapist. I'm currently part of the clinical staff at a therapeutic day school (aka an alternative school).

AND YOUR SO? FI is a director of curriculum for a school district

ANY KIDS? Nope. In the future for sure, but not for a couple years.

PETS? A kitty (that FI secretly loves even though he tells everyone he's not a cat person) and a black lab (that I love despite the fact that trying to clean up all the fur he sheds is a losing battle)

WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE CHEESE? Parmesan! 

FAVORITE DRINK (boozy or not): Diet Dr. Pepper for non-alcoholic. Alcoholic is a tough choice...probably sangria.

ANYTHING ELSE? I have lurked for 6+ months (originally got on as a MOH). Lurking is like people watching from the comfort of my couch. 
    You're getting married on my birthday! It's a great day. ;-)

• ANYTHING ELSE? I'm a 5 foot tall Redhead who looks like a teenager. Seriously. I'm 28 years old and get carded everytime. In a Province whose drinking age is 18. Everyone must think my FI is a cradlerobber since he's 30, and looks 30.
    I got ID'd last month at the local Shopper's for buying a lottery ticket (we're on the Lotto Max retirement plan).  She actually asked to see my ID.  I'm 35.  Really, a lottery ticket??  A single quick pick.  

Kinda made my day actually.  

• Cool beans, I was just thinking I should have made an introduction thread. :)

SCREEN NAME: Kahlyla

RELATIONSHIP STATUS: Married

WHERE ARE YOU FROM? Northern Ontario

WHERE IS YOUR SO FROM? The same

WHAT DO YOU DO FOR WORK? I'm an editor and own my own business

AND YOUR SO? He co-owns our business but is an aerospace engineer by trade

ANY KIDS? Two boys, 4 and 5

PETS? Two cats - Newton and Kepler. We're about to get the boys a couple of goldfish for Christmas.

WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE CHEESE? Goat cheese, brie

FAVORITE DRINK (boozy or not): Strongbow or a margarita on the rocks

ANYTHING ELSE? I only joined the forums recently (been married 7 years, oops), but love the people here and the diverse and wicked senses of humour!
  • Um.. What channel is Outlander on? And I hope you make a beautiful library with all those books, lady. That's my dream! @garnetandgold60

image   image   image

• RebeccaB88RebeccaB88 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2014

SCREEN NAME: RebeccaB20

RELATIONSHIP STATUS: single (dumped the lying cheating SOB fiance a little over 2 years ago)

WHERE ARE YOU FROM? Oklahoma

WHERE IS YOUR SO FROM?  Ex was from Oklahoma too

WHAT DO YOU DO FOR WORK?  Nationally Certified Pharmacy Technician

AND YOUR SO?   Ex was a professional douchebag

ANY KIDS?   Hell fucking no.

PETS?   16 year old gray tabby kitty named Gracie, currently sick with kidney disease and sitting on my left hand so I don't forget that she wants attention.

WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE CHEESE?   Rotel dip ...wait, that's not really cheese... fresh mozarella. Or maybe cheddar jack.  Maytag blue. Or feta. No...parmesan! 

FAVORITE DRINK (boozy or not):  Pinot Grigio, Gewuzt-whateverthehellitis, Riesling, frozen strawberry margarita, cosmo, cherry limeade from Sonic  ETA #2: hot apple cider with either vanilla vodka or Buttershots.

MAYONNAISE:  I love mayo!  Yum!  Dukes, Blue Plate, or Kewpie preferred, but Hellmann's/Best Foods will do in a pinch. I dip my fries/tater tots in it.

ANYTHING ELSE?  Like what?   ETA:  Interesting how popular the pet name Gracie is on here.  Mine got it because she's gray and a girl. Do you think that already being on the wedding boards will freak my next SO out?

• SCREEN NAME: wrigleyville

WHERE ARE YOU FROM? I was born and raised in northern Michigan, moved to the Detroit area for a while, moved to Chicago for grad school, moved back to the Detroit area, and then moved back to Chicago. :)

WHERE IS YOUR SO FROM? H is originally from Oregon. He moved to Michigan after we'd been dating for two years. I would have preferred to move to Oregon, because scenery, but I was making bank at that point and we figured it would be better for me to be the sugarmomma while he paid off his student loans.

WHAT DO YOU DO FOR WORK?  I used to be a psychiatrist, but I quit that career in favor of a new one. I'm back in school, wrapping up a few History credits so I can go to grad school for Museum Studies.

AND YOUR SO? H is a graphic designer and builds and maintains websites on the side.

ANY KIDS?  Hellllllllllll no.

PETS?  A fawn-colored pug (Alice) and a Siamese cat (Samantha)

WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE CHEESE?  I love all of it, except blue cheese. I really really hate blue cheese. I especially like the "Italian" combination - asiago, romano, parmesan, etc. - that they put on pizza or pasta to top it off. It's even better when it's slightly burned. Mmmmm.

FAVORITE DRINK (boozy or not):  Raspberry Lemonade Crystal Light, Margaritas (no salt), Milk (chocolate and regular), sangria, fruit punch, orange juice

ANYTHING ELSE?  I'm eating crock pot mac & cheese right now. It is taking all of my willpower to put a serving into a bowl instead of using potholders to set the crock pot dish on my desk so I can eat out of it directly. I'm also using a fork instead of the giant serving spoon. WILLPOWER.
    wrigleyville I want to go to grad school for museum studies too!
  • SCREEN NAME: ashley8918

RELATIONSHIP STATUS: recently married

WHERE ARE YOU FROM? Small town nowheresville IL

WHERE IS YOUR SO FROM? Medium town nowheresville IL

WHAT DO YOU DO FOR WORK? I work in quality assurance at a pharmaceutical company

AND YOUR SO? stay at home daddy

ANY KIDS? I have 2, H has none. Yet. I guess. Maybe.

PETS? A fat old beagle named Misty and an obnoxious WEINER dog-Pitbull puppy named Frankie

WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE CHEESE? All non-goat, non-moldy varieties. Smoked Gouda is my very favorite.

FAVORITE DRINK (boozy or not): A good sauv blanc, Long Island iced tea, or tequila-straight.

ANYTHING ELSE? I am halfway through a three hour drive (well, H is driving) and I am SO FUCKING BORED.
  • @RebeccaB88 caaaackling!!!
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• esstee33 said:
    SCREEN NAME: garnetandgold60
    Well that doesn't narrow it down at all. 
    Oh God you're right! That's a horrifying thought...

...and the Jags. It's the Jags. He's been a fan since birth, and I love him and football enough to go to the games but good lord in heaven it's painful. I drown my suffering in beer hahaha :)

Sorry I had to laugh, it's possible he has been a fan since birth.  But they have only been around for 19 years.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2014
    SCREEN NAME: lyndausvi

RELATIONSHIP STATUS: married for 6 years.

WHERE ARE YOU FROM? I was born in Delaware.  We moved a lot as a kid.  Now live in CO

WHERE IS YOUR SO FROM?  Long Island, NY.   

WHAT DO YOU DO FOR WORK? I work in hospitality industry.  Plus part-time at a golf club.

AND YOUR SO? exec Chef
    ANY KIDS? Nope.  No plans either.

PETS?  2 dogs. One english bulldog.  One rescue. 

WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE CHEESE? Brie

FAVORITE DRINK (boozy or not):  Yuengling is my favorite alcohol.  But I do not get it here, so I drink other beers (mostly larger style) or red wine.   Chocolate milk is my favorite non-alcoholic drink.

ANYTHING ELSE? When I started here I was living in the islands.   Then I've moved 3 times since then.   I'm on the older scale of age for this place.  I thinks it's important to not to have the blind leading the blind and  different points of view.  So that is why I stick around.  Plus I love most of the people around here.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards