Chit Chat

So who is in the blizzard zone?

Re: So who is in the blizzard zone?

• amelisha said:
    Yep. We have one inch here and I ran to the supermarket to pick up some fruit. Yhere were people flipping out getting cases of water, firewood, flashlights, canned goods, etc. It's ridiculous!

Let me repeat: we have ONE INCH of snow!!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I WISH there was a Trader Joes near me. I live in the forgotten county.
  • @banana468 I think the closest to me is an hour. 

• jenna8984 said:

@banana468 I think the closest to me is an hour. 

Ditto. I LOVE their stuff but I have to resort to begging my Aunt to buying cookie butter when she goes.

Now I REALLY want cookie butter.
  • So I am home with Trader Joe's wine, left over pizza and season 5 of Archer. Bring on the storm.
  • DH just flipped the news to an American network cos he wanted to see how much they were freaking out over a little snow.  I know it can get more serious when you don't have the infrastructure in place, but honestly, when I hear about 2' of snow and everyone stocking up on gas/food/bottled water I just shake my head.  That's about once a month for us up here.  Nothing closes in the city.  Not schools, work, though some might decide to work from home, not stores.  

And yes, it's been beautiful here lately.  12C over the weekend.  felt like spring, so February is gonna suck royally when it drops again this week.

• NJ declared a travel ban starting at 11pm tonight. My town uses our tax dollars well and the roads are fairly well plowed now that the snow has slowed down. Hopefully they'll be able to keep it up through the storm, but I'm still not getting out on the road unless it's an absolute emergency.

Of course, when I went outside to grab soda I forgot was in my trunk, I noticed a large tree branch sitting on the power lines attached to my building. Fan-freaking-tastic. If I'm MIA tomorrow, you all know why.,, and someone send cheesecake!!
    ~*~*~*~*~

• that is alot compared to what we get in ohio. the most we get in ohio is in the snow belt and thats maybe under 2 feet but over a foot. so yes i can see them freaking out. that much snow in such a little time frame is scary and dangerous
  • NJ declared a travel ban starting at 11pm tonight. My town uses our tax dollars well and the roads are fairly well plowed now that the snow has slowed down. Hopefully they'll be able to keep it up through the storm, but I'm still not getting out on the road unless it's an absolute emergency.

Of course, when I went outside to grab soda I forgot was in my trunk, I noticed a large tree branch sitting on the power lines attached to my building. Fan-freaking-tastic. If I'm MIA tomorrow, you all know why.,, and someone send cheesecake!!
    Ughhhh that sucks! I would send cheesecake but it will be snowed in. Whomp Whomp.

Ughhhh that sucks! I would send cheesecake but it will be snowed in. Whomp Whomp.
    It's okay, I can't eat cheesecake anyway. I was going to use it to distract DH so I can have some "me" time instead of "keeping warm" all day tomorrow. lol
    ~*~*~*~*~

It's okay, I can't eat cheesecake anyway. I was going to use it to distract DH so I can have some "me" time instead of "keeping warm" all day tomorrow. lol
    Haha, would that work? I think the only thing that could distract my DH from "keeping warm" would be a Patriots game. The cheesecake, however, would certainly distract me.

Then happy I, that love and am beloved 
    Where I may not remove nor be removed.

--William Shakespeare (Sonnet 25)

• It's really not just the snow. It's a huge coastal storm that's bringing high, dangerous winds, power outages and possible flooding. The snowfall rates will be 2" to 4" per hour. Sorry, but that's not typical snowfall for NY. That's why it's a big story here. NYC doesn't get hit with 2 feet of snow or more very often. There's a travel ban in my county and for most places around me. We can't be out of the roads. So yes, I'm glad I went food shopping yesterday so I have things to make for dinner and lunch. And for the travel ban, it's necessary. My dad worked for a highway department and plowed for 30+ years. My brother does it now too. Do you know how hard it is to plow with cars out on the road in a regular storm, let alone a blizzard.
    I do get it.  We usually get 1-2 per year ourselves.  That's why I said I understand it's much harder when you don't have the proper infrastructure in place.  We do since it's more common up here.  We still get the traffic backups cos the plows are out 24/7.  The difference is that we have over a hundred plows out during storms, with the contractors as well as the city workers.  Most cities further south don't have these resources.  

• It's really not just the snow. It's a huge coastal storm that's bringing high, dangerous winds, power outages and possible flooding. The snowfall rates will be 2" to 4" per hour. Sorry, but that's not typical snowfall for NY. That's why it's a big story here. NYC doesn't get hit with 2 feet of snow or more very often. There's a travel ban in my county and for most places around me. We can't be out of the roads. So yes, I'm glad I went food shopping yesterday so I have things to make for dinner and lunch. And for the travel ban, it's necessary. My dad worked for a highway department and plowed for 30+ years. My brother does it now too. Do you know how hard it is to plow with cars out on the road in a regular storm, let alone a blizzard.
    I do get it.  We usually get 1-2 per year ourselves.  That's why I said I understand it's much harder when you don't have the proper infrastructure in place.  We do since it's more common up here.  We still get the traffic backups cos the plows are out 24/7.  The difference is that we have over a hundred plows out during storms, with the contractors as well as the city workers.  Most cities further south don't have these resources.  
    And Montreal has less than half the population of NYC. So not only is it fewer plows, but more people trying to get around.

• arrippa said:

So I am home with Trader Joe's wine, left over pizza and season 5 of Archer. Bring on the storm.

That sounds like the perfect evening, storm or no storm.
    And Montreal has less than half the population of NYC. So not only is it fewer plows, but more people trying to get around.

Getting around? Ain't nowhere to go. I'm like 4 drinks in, the dog is walked, and I'm going nowhere, baby!

I'm somewhere in between. On board with travel bans and common sense, rolling my eyes at the dramatic forecasting. Until people lose heat I am unconcerned with anything except where I will be sledding later.

This baby knows exactly how I feel

Haha, would that work? I think the only thing that could distract my DH from "keeping warm" would be a Patriots game. The cheesecake, however, would certainly distract me.
    DH is an engineer, so blinky lights and shiny objects are good short-term distractions. Dessert, on the other hand, make for better long-term distractions - he needs time to eat and digest
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Thanks to all the media hype, I've been at work since 9 am yesterday (Monday) and won't be leaving until 10 pm today (Tuesday) at the earliest. First night away from my cat and FI since early August. Currently on hour 21/37. Losing my gottdang mind. Send help (and wine).
  • This was a total bust. Before I went to bed last night, they were still predicting two feet for my area. And there's definitely not even half of that outside. Oh well. At least I got a day off.
  • We were warned of 15 to 24, but this morning total after snowing more now to midnight should be 7 to 13, and I only see 4 ". We did not get high winds and snow til nearly midnight, so time will tell.

Places that already told workers no work, no school Tues and Wed are going to be ripped . We have already had at least 6 all day storms 8 inches plus and only lost school when there was no snow just cold. N NH
  • We are only halfway through the "fun" and this was the view to my backyard 5 min ago
  • We only got about 6 inches and my offices didn't call off last night, so I probably have to go to work as soon as the subways are up and running.

But but but....I bought bacon and pancake mix! I had my Law & Order reruns all lined up!
  • What a bust!  We even pulled our snowmobile out last night to have some fun today...  it's now sitting forlornly in our front yard... on like 2" of snow :(  

• What a bust!  We even pulled our snowmobile out last night to have some fun today...  it's now sitting forlornly in our front yard... on like 2" of snow :(  

Come to the CT shoreline! I have some to spare.
  • Yeah, we only got around 6 inches. What a bust!

Oh well, I will watch Law & Order on my couch instead of working :)
  • OK, maybe four inches since I cleared the deck 2 hours ago and said, what big storm. I take it back.
  • This was a total bust. Before I went to bed last night, they were still predicting two feet for my area. And there's definitely not even half of that outside. Oh well. At least I got a day off.
    if it helps any we in ohio were not suppose to get any snow and its snowing.... nothing major but its still snowing. i hate when they predict so much snow and then there is nothing at all.
  • We have about a foot of snow in Boston. I just spent some of the morning shoveling out my car.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards