Wedding Woes

Open Letters -- Add your own

Re: Open Letters -- Add your own

• levioosa said:
    Dear Professor,

No, I'm not impressed that you volunteer at a "Life Center."  I'm not impressed that you convinced a 16 year old considering abortion to watch an ultrasound for "proof of life."  And I think it's really fucked up that you are trying to formulate a study that has women visiting health centers watch their ultrasounds before they get their abortions.  And then you have the gall to talk about morals and ethics as it relates to research?  You are manipulating people to fit your own agenda. Fuck you.  Fuck. You. 

Sincerely,

So Done With This Conservative College

P.S. Qualitative research is not the same as quantitative research.  Stop trying to make them equal--they're not.  
    Dear Leviosa,
    I agree with so much of this except for a few things; as a quantitative researcher, good qualitative research is just as rigorous, just as valuable to the scientific community if done right. Not acedotes, but actual case studies or field work developed within scientific standards. Science is about the method, there can be good (or bad) qualitiative research just as easily as there can be good or bad quantitative research, it's not the method but if it follows the scientific method. 

Also, while I find what she's doing it dishonest at best (personally I find much of these "life centers" pretty dishonest in their approach) the academic freedom that allows her to do this, protects me when I research the effects of abortion, BC access, and TRAP laws. If in order to do what I do I have to tolerate what she does that's the bargain we make for academic freedom; and trust the peer review process keeps her work from being published. 

Signed,
    Someone in a state where tenure, academic freedom, and abortion are under threat from the legislature. 

ETA: didn't mean for that to come off super snarky. I would be frustrated as a student as well. 
    I feel like qualitative research is kind of like preliminary research, especially for what should be a hard science. For example, I am passionate and prenatal care and barriers that women experience accessing it. Most studies are qualitative. Okay...but we need hard data too. Nursing should be a hard science, but so much of it is shoddily done qualitative research based on emotions. It has been so hard to find good quality qualitative research.  There are huge problems with the majority of the qualitative research.  It seems like nurses just pass whatever they want through the peer review process and that really hurts our profession. There are nursing "theorists" who just repeatedly publish themselves and create their own journals until they exist by default in literature. It's one of the reasons why the medical community (aka doctors) don't take nurses (and especially advanced practice nurses) seriously. Quantitative research is a gold standard for a reason, especially in a hard science. 

And my teacher is a man, which makes it so frustrating. He wants to craft a study that deals with the husband's views on their wives getting abortions and include the "proof of life" ultrasounds at 8 weeks. The teenage girl I mentioned earlier? He made "friends" with her and her 17 year old bf and now he wants to include them in his study and is trying to figure out how to include the boy (who hasn't told his parents about the pregnancy yet) and get informed consent. To top it all off....yesterday's lecture was about morals and ethics. I can't. 

• levioosa said:
    Dear Kitten,

I love you, but I swear to god, if you start tearing up the mattress to get attention in the middle of the night again I will lock you out of our room for good. And you will be sad. So sad. And I will sleep. 

Sincerely, 

I love the shit out of you, but for the love of god calm down
    I tend to threaten to sell my cats when they start doing bad shit.
  • Dear Left Eyelid,

I'm really gonna need you to stop twitching.  It's been 3 months, now.

Sincerely,

Hadd E. Nuff

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• Dear DH

No one likes to address family members when you need to tell them how they behaved poorly but your failure to do this makes it appear as though you don't value me or my time.   My birthday is in a week.   I've got a few ideas for gifts and none of them can purchased because I sure as he'll can't.   

Love

YOUR WIFE 
  • Dear Job Market,

Please hire M!
    His lack of working is stressing us both out and causing unnecessary fights.

xo
    wife who loves her non-house-husband and wants him to get out more
  • Dear Job Market,

Please hire M!

xo

Please hire my H also!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Dear Job Market,

Please hire M!

xo

Please hire my H also!
    Please hire me, too.  lol. 

• levioosa said:
    Dear Job Market,

Please hire M!

xo

Please hire my H also!
    And Staying Positive.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• levioosa said:
    Dear Job Market,

Please hire M!

xo

Please hire my H also!
    And Staying Positive.
    Jobs for all! <3
  • Dear Cough,

You've circulated around our house for a month now. Please go away already. Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,
    Hacking in the morning is not OK
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    6fsn said:
    Dear mil, 
    skinny does not mean healthy. I do not need advice. I will keep my 15 extra pounds and not dump 2 Splenda on my cereal and wash down my dozen pills with pink lemonade. 
    Dear @6fsn's MIL, 

The only person who should lecture @6fsn about her weight is her doctor. Back off and get a real hobby.
    Thanks man. She keeps trying to push weight watchers in me and it's driving me batty. 
  • Ro041Ro041 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Dear Driver Who Parks In My Lot and Regularly Takes Two Spaces:

I saw that someone else left a note on your windshield this morning so I felt emboldened and did the same thing.  I hope you think about how rude you are when you see two notes from strangers pointing it out to you.

Sincerely,
    Everyone else who pays to park in this lot

• Dear H, 

It's very sweet of you to pack me up leftovers for lunch. However, if you pack me half a lunch one more time, I'm going to kick you in the dick.

Signed, 

I'm Still Hungry
  • Ro041 said:
    Dear Driver Who Parks In My Lot and Regularly Takes Two Spaces:

I saw that someone else left a note on your windshield this morning so I felt emboldened and did the same thing.  I hope you think about how rude you are when you see two notes from strangers pointing it out to you.

Sincerely,
    Everyone else who pays to park in this lot

Is that the same person who isn't paying for parking?  Inquiring minds want to know!

And that goes for all drivers in all parking lots everywhere.  IF there is plenty of parking and you want to take two spaces, go for it as long as you are in the boondocks.  But do NOT take multiple "choice" spots to protect your metal baby.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ro041Ro041 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2017
    @short+sassy - sadly no.  My parking lot is the source of 90% of the drama in my life.  I guess that is a good thing, all things considered!

ETA - they have an early 2000s Honda Accord, so I don't think they are trying to protect it.  *eyeroll*

• Dear @drillsergeantcat,

Can you teach me how to love tit something?  Tomorrow is Friday after all, and I'll be home with the hubs. 

Thanks, 
    MrMitten thanks you too
  • Dear @drillsergeantcat,

Can you teach me how to love tit something?  Tomorrow is Friday after all, and I'll be home with the hubs. 

Thanks, 
    MrMitten thanks you too
    That's just what we call clicking the Love It button over on thebump. You should definitely let your hubs love your tits, though. 
  • Dear Coworker--

I can't believe you put an EMPTY ice tray back in the freezer.

Please partner up with coworker(s) who take all the coffee and then put an empty GLASS carafe back on a hot burner, without making more coffee, to read up on basic office etiquette.

Sincerely,

Queen of Coffee Making and Ice Tray Filling (please take my crown)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Dear Coworker--

I can't believe you put an EMPTY ice tray back in the freezer.

Please partner up with coworker(s) who take all the coffee and then put an empty GLASS carafe back on a hot burner, without making more coffee, to read up on basic office etiquette.

Sincerely,

Queen of Coffee Making and Ice Tray Filling (please take my crown)

Someone in our office does that (I use the keurig, not the coffee pot) and by 3:00 or so, you walk into the kitchen and smell burnt coffee because the bottom is baking. 

• Dear People Who Send Me Emails, 
    Do not walk into my office 10 minutes later to ask if I got your email. I will reply when I have time. Nothing we do here requires immediate responses. 

Signed, 
    Someone who has never failed to respond to an important email. 
  • Dear Family & Friends;

Thank you for being supportive during M's lay off time and held your tongues on asking about grandkids. I can't tell you how amazing it feels not to be asked 20 thousand times during a visit.

Love;
    The one who will eventually give you a grandchild and appreciates your patience!
  • Dear MissKittyDanger's Family, 
    Can you please explain this patience to Charlotte's parents? Her H is out of a job in May, has nothing lined up, and now is NOT the time to have a baby. Please tell them to stop asking. 

Signed, 
    Someone who is fed up with hearing "Lena needs a cousin!". 
  • Dear MissKittyDanger's Family, 
    Can you please explain this patience to Charlotte's parents? Her H is out of a job in May, has nothing lined up, and now is NOT the time to have a baby. Please tell them to stop asking. 

Signed, 
    Someone who is fed up with hearing "Lena needs a cousin!". 
    "we're practicing"
    "we're saving"
    "fuck off"
    "eventually"
    "now is not the time"
    "thanks for encouraging me to get laid"

Things M or I have said.