Snarky Brides

Teen Sentenced to Homicide Over Texting

Re: Teen Sentenced to Homicide Over Texting

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_teen-sentenced-to-homicide-over-texting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:03270457-7124-4e12-a7c7-2a6405da1cb2Post:3a6a8e32-c29f-4bf5-bbb8-21d044c6258a">Re: Teen Sentenced to Homicide Over Texting</a>:
    [QUOTE]The interesting thing about this case is that they wanted to charge the girl who sent him the texts with the crime as well.
    Posted by Blueyed228[/QUOTE]

Was that on here or E that we were discussing that a couple weeks ago? I think it was here.

And I think it's ridiculous.  Nobody is psychic and as a driver it is your responsibility to know when it's safe to read/respond to a text.  People need to learn to be accountable for their own actions and stop blaming other people.
  • I officially decided to just put the phone away, period when I drive. No hands free, nothing. I will return your call when I am off the road. Texting is also illegal in MN, though we have had no test cases yet.

• Guys, we are talking about Massachusetts.  This shouldnt shock you that they were trying to go after the girl, lol.
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_teen-sentenced-to-homicide-over-texting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:03270457-7124-4e12-a7c7-2a6405da1cb2Post:bf96d716-ad38-47d4-8acd-af3f4510fef7">Re: Teen Sentenced to Homicide Over Texting</a>:
    [QUOTE]Guys, we are talking about Massachusetts.  This shouldnt shock you that they were trying to go after the girl, lol.
    Wait, what? I'm probably missing something.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_teen-sentenced-to-homicide-over-texting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:03270457-7124-4e12-a7c7-2a6405da1cb2Post:bf96d716-ad38-47d4-8acd-af3f4510fef7">Re: Teen Sentenced to Homicide Over Texting</a>:
    [QUOTE]Guys, we are talking about Massachusetts.  This shouldnt shock you that they were trying to go after the girl, lol.

boooooooooooo blue lol. I guess I feel mildly defensive of the local DAs.. SO SO many of my friends are now in the DAs office. crazos. I wouldn't want any part of being a prosecutor anymore (mostly because the hours and pay blow).

Now With Pro Pics&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspOur Wedding Highlights!&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    my book shelf:
    Steph N's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_teen-sentenced-to-homicide-over-texting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:03270457-7124-4e12-a7c7-2a6405da1cb2Post:6aa481a1-f3d7-43e4-9c48-da2f364d46ac">Re: Teen Sentenced to Homicide Over Texting</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Teen Sentenced to Homicide Over Texting : Wait, what? I'm probably missing something.
    Posted by LDYGTR13[/QUOTE]

Yes you are.  This state is fvcking stupid and lets off child molesters and murderers but tries to convict some girl for sending a text.  Our judges are stupid as hell.

And it wouldnt be an unpopular opinion here to hold people who send the texts accountable. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_teen-sentenced-to-homicide-over-texting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:03270457-7124-4e12-a7c7-2a6405da1cb2Post:21cfa941-26d0-4e10-a74a-784fa79c5869">Re: Teen Sentenced to Homicide Over Texting</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Teen Sentenced to Homicide Over Texting : No I see what you're saying and it's a VERY fine line. And I'm not even saying charge them with vehicular homicide, but I do think they should be held accountable to some extent. For instance, if I rear end somebody because they slam on their breaks, even if I was paying attention and just couldn't stop in time, I'm still held responsible as far as getting the ticket, paying for it, etc.
    Posted by Summer2011Bride[/QUOTE]

For sure.
    They've done tests that prove texting while driving is actually worse than drinking and driving.  This may be an unpop op, but I feel like the penalties for texting while driving should be equal to or even heavier than DUIs.
  • Of all my early legal dabblings, my prosecuter's intern office gig was the ugliest. Those people get dragged through hell.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_teen-sentenced-to-homicide-over-texting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:03270457-7124-4e12-a7c7-2a6405da1cb2Post:9bb2099e-a917-4a5a-b8ba-e8f8c9dcf22d">Re: Teen Sentenced to Homicide Over Texting</a>:
    [QUOTE]Okay the article says the prosecutor failed to prove he was texting at the time of the crash.
    Posted by edielaura[/QUOTE]

He had sent 198 texts that day.  Texts minutes leading up to the crash and dozens of texts right afterwards.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_teen-sentenced-to-homicide-over-texting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:03270457-7124-4e12-a7c7-2a6405da1cb2Post:56da0522-b5fa-4057-bff2-d519f11353e4">Re: Teen Sentenced to Homicide Over Texting</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Teen Sentenced to Homicide Over Texting : I figured he was.  The particular article I'm reading doesn't say that. And how the hell do you text after causing an accident of that magnitude?

I think he was 17 at the time?  I doubt he could grasp the magnitude of what just happened?  Who knows.  Kids are stupid and shouldnt be allowed to drive.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_teen-sentenced-to-homicide-over-texting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:03270457-7124-4e12-a7c7-2a6405da1cb2Post:4c6fdb36-69c5-40dd-a07d-bdb5f9d854ab">Re: Teen Sentenced to Homicide Over Texting</a>:
    [QUOTE]A few years back a truck driver spilled his hot coffee onto his lap, sending huge pipes across the median which struck and killed a woman on her way to work. He wasn't held responsible to my knowledge and I always questioned that decision. 
    Posted by VeggieLove1022[/QUOTE]

<div>First of all, it's not illegal to drink coffee while driving. It IS illegal to text while driving. Also, spilling coffee was accidental.  I highly doubt the teenagers phone accidentally wound up in his hands, responding to a text.</div><div>
    </div><div>I am very firmly against testing while driving, and absolutely think that the homicide charges were justified.  And I think that anyone caught texting while driving, regardless of whether or not it resulted in an accident, should have their license suspended and/or be fined. </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_teen-sentenced-to-homicide-over-texting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:03270457-7124-4e12-a7c7-2a6405da1cb2Post:56da0522-b5fa-4057-bff2-d519f11353e4">Re: Teen Sentenced to Homicide Over Texting</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Teen Sentenced to Homicide Over Texting : I figured he was.  The particular article I'm reading doesn't say that. And how the hell do you text after causing an accident of that magnitude?

Because you (not you you, but the you that you were referencing) are stupid as hell.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_teen-sentenced-to-homicide-over-texting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:03270457-7124-4e12-a7c7-2a6405da1cb2Post:56da0522-b5fa-4057-bff2-d519f11353e4">Re: Teen Sentenced to Homicide Over Texting</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Teen Sentenced to Homicide Over Texting : I figured he was.  The particular article I'm reading doesn't say that. <strong>And how the hell do you text after causing an accident of that magnitude?
    </strong>Posted by edielaura[/QUOTE]

Because you are dumb and insensitive and addicted to your stupid phone and text messages. I like texting/technology but some people seriously need to get Real Time lives. It is not a "young" problem either. I have a friend nearly my mom's age who is so techno-rude it is unbeliveable. Texting and messing around online with people to talk to right in front of her, guests in her home. Crazy.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_teen-sentenced-to-homicide-over-texting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:03270457-7124-4e12-a7c7-2a6405da1cb2Post:2aaadfd6-4355-488b-905e-632bdaf26737">Re: Teen Sentenced to Homicide Over Texting</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Teen Sentenced to Homicide Over Texting : I'm sure  you've said this before but what age do you consider mature enough for driving?

18 after extensive drivers ed.  Unless they have a job then only for driving to and from work.

Either that or there needs to be much more restrictions until they are 18.  No highway driving etc.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_teen-sentenced-to-homicide-over-texting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:03270457-7124-4e12-a7c7-2a6405da1cb2Post:2aaadfd6-4355-488b-905e-632bdaf26737">Re: Teen Sentenced to Homicide Over Texting</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Teen Sentenced to Homicide Over Texting : I'm sure  you've said this before but what age do you consider mature enough for driving?

FI and I were having this conversation the other day.  In AR (this may be different now) he was allowed to get his permit at 14 and drive with a parent until 15 when he could get his hardship license to drive to school/work. If you don't apply for a hardship you can get it at 16.  I grew up where you had to get a permit at 16 and then drive with a parent for 6 months before testing for your license.  I thought that 14 was ridiculously young for a permit, but his arguement that it gives more experience with a parent made some sense.  I just don't think most parents are going through and coaching while their teens are driving.  
    imageVacation
  • We should just build enough infrastructure that driving becomes obsolete.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_teen-sentenced-to-homicide-over-texting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:03270457-7124-4e12-a7c7-2a6405da1cb2Post:e8d8fefe-5e4c-455b-b249-d4ee166feddb">Re: Teen Sentenced to Homicide Over Texting</a>:
    [QUOTE]So do you think the drinking age should be 23 then?  If the driving age is raised two years?

I have really unpopular opinions about the drinking age.  VERY unpopular.  Working in the business for as long as I did, I think 25 is a good age.  I know it will never happen, but thats my thoughts on it.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Tying together the drinking portion of this and the driving portion of this, I think every car should have one of those breathalyzer machines required to start.
    imageVacation
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_teen-sentenced-to-homicide-over-texting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:03270457-7124-4e12-a7c7-2a6405da1cb2Post:e8d8fefe-5e4c-455b-b249-d4ee166feddb">Re: Teen Sentenced to Homicide Over Texting</a>:
    [QUOTE]So do you think the drinking age should be 23 then?  If the driving age is raised two years?

I can't speak for Blue, but I think the drinking age should be 19.  18 gives high schoolers easier access to it. 

I think driving at 16 is still very convenient, especially in a society like ours that doesn't have as much public transportation across the country or even any given state.  In Europe, the driving age being 18 is very doable because they have a lot of trains/buses allll across the regions.  Here, usually it's only the big cities that have them.  16 year olds driving saves parents a lot of time/money.  I think if we're going to raise the driving age, there needs to be a huge investment in this country's public transportation.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_teen-sentenced-to-homicide-over-texting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:03270457-7124-4e12-a7c7-2a6405da1cb2Post:7c56ba48-1927-43dc-a174-4993674d2f0a">Re: Teen Sentenced to Homicide Over Texting</a>:
    [QUOTE]That's really interesting Blue.  I think your experience must be a big factor, because I don't drink and don't really hang out with people who do drink.  So I've never really been on that side of it.

I guess I dont think it should become a law or anything because I dont like telling people what they can and cant do, but I wish people wouldnt drink till then.  I have seen a lot of bad stuff come from it.  Rapes, death, stabbings, shooting,fights, DUI's, car crashes, alcohol poisoning, people getting robbed while drunk, falling down flights of stairs, etc.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_teen-sentenced-to-homicide-over-texting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:03270457-7124-4e12-a7c7-2a6405da1cb2Post:53318426-e468-40e2-bf28-f4808ec8d744">Re: Teen Sentenced to Homicide Over Texting</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Teen Sentenced to Homicide Over Texting : I guess I dont think it should become a law or anything because I dont like telling people what they can and cant do, but I wish people wouldnt drink till then.  I have seen a lot of bad stuff come from it.  Rapes, death, stabbings, shooting,fights, DUI's, car crashes, alcohol poisoning, people getting robbed while drunk, falling down flights of stairs, etc.

I haven't seen the stats but is there a higher occurence of these things in people under 25?
  • pirategal03pirategal03 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited June 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_teen-sentenced-to-homicide-over-texting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:03270457-7124-4e12-a7c7-2a6405da1cb2Post:4304a24b-105e-4bf7-a41e-6a1b88efcdec">Re: Teen Sentenced to Homicide Over Texting</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Teen Sentenced to Homicide Over Texting : I have really unpopular opinions about the drinking age.  VERY unpopular.  Working in the business for as long as I did, I think 25 is a good age.  I know it will never happen, but thats my thoughts on it.

I think that's a good age for driving too.  It ties in with the brain's full development and at that age people are more fully able to weigh actions and consequences.

I know that will never happen. 
  • Blue, what do you think the age should be then for joining the military?

I'm a huge fan of the "if you can die for your country, you can drink a beer" camp.  Do you feel the same way?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_teen-sentenced-to-homicide-over-texting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:03270457-7124-4e12-a7c7-2a6405da1cb2Post:341c21fc-88fb-4c1d-b603-29145f54077b">Re: Teen Sentenced to Homicide Over Texting</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Teen Sentenced to Homicide Over Texting : Yes you are.  This state is fvcking stupid and lets off child molesters and murderers but tries to convict some girl for sending a text.  Our judges are stupid as hell. And it wouldnt be an unpopular opinion here to hold people who send the texts accountable. 
    Ah gotcha. I didn't realize they let off child molesters and murderers. Don't do that anymore, Mass.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_teen-sentenced-to-homicide-over-texting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:03270457-7124-4e12-a7c7-2a6405da1cb2Post:f4467c68-fc3e-4cfe-8f25-136e9ce5281f">Re: Teen Sentenced to Homicide Over Texting</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Teen Sentenced to Homicide Over Texting : I haven't seen the stats but is there a higher occurence of these things in people under 25?
    Posted by chelseamb11[/QUOTE]

I can only speak from what I have seen over the years.  But yes.  Its always the 21-25 year olds who cant handle the booze.  There are exceptions of course, but on average they are the ones who always overdo it.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_teen-sentenced-to-homicide-over-texting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:03270457-7124-4e12-a7c7-2a6405da1cb2Post:0b146485-7be8-45ee-864d-d1a8b7b6a655">Re: Teen Sentenced to Homicide Over Texting</a>:
    [QUOTE]Tying together the drinking portion of this and the driving portion of this, I think every car should have one of those breathalyzer machines required to start.
    Posted by brandichamberlain[/QUOTE]
    Those are expensive. If I don't drink and drive, I shouldn't have to have one on my car.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • If we actually had more public transportation options, then it might actually be easier to start with elderly driving restrictions as well. If we think kids aren't capable or driving due to experience, I think the elderly also should be limited due to decreased sight, reaction times, etc.

Also, I think it is harder for me to identify with the stupidity of kids driving being that I grew up in a really small town, and obviously didn't have the cell phone distractions. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_teen-sentenced-to-homicide-over-texting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:03270457-7124-4e12-a7c7-2a6405da1cb2Post:14779ac8-01e8-47b7-8181-2fbb58434d3e">Re: Teen Sentenced to Homicide Over Texting</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Teen Sentenced to Homicide Over Texting : I can only speak from what I have seen over the years.  But yes.  Its always the 21-25 year olds who cant handle the booze.  There are exceptions of course, but on average they are the ones who always overdo it.
    Do you think that raising the age would just make the 25-30 year olds the ones who can't handle it and over do it? 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_teen-sentenced-to-homicide-over-texting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:03270457-7124-4e12-a7c7-2a6405da1cb2Post:e73b4bce-b839-452b-8f27-ccc77917ef2d">Re: Teen Sentenced to Homicide Over Texting</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Teen Sentenced to Homicide Over Texting : Those are expensive. If I don't drink and drive, I shouldn't have to have one on my car.
    Posted by LetsHikeToday[/QUOTE]

I meant more of the sense that they come standard and we don't pay a monthly fee.  It is just required just as a key would be. But just like those people who have them now, you can have a sober person blow in it and still drive a few minutes so there are major flaws with that as well.
    imageVacation
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_teen-sentenced-to-homicide-over-texting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:03270457-7124-4e12-a7c7-2a6405da1cb2Post:170c2754-94b2-4e47-a2ea-00786869a624">Re: Teen Sentenced to Homicide Over Texting</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Teen Sentenced to Homicide Over Texting : I meant more of the sense that they come standard and we don't pay a monthly fee.  It is just required just as a key would be. But just like those people who have them now, you can have a sober person blow in it and still drive a few minutes so there are major flaws with that as well.
    Posted by brandichamberlain[/QUOTE]
    I'd still have to pay for the cost when buying a car though.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards