Chit Chat
Options

FI and money -vent-

So FI is going to be our main bread winner and I will stay home with our children, and do handmade projects and sell them to bring in extra fun money. Well whenever I get extra fun money so far, he and I have been getting into arguments on what I 'can' and 'can't' spend it on. I play an online game and there's extra stuff you can buy for USD, and I don't have a bank account because it's mostly just cash that I get, and so I can't buy things online and have to use his account and give him the cash, but FI doesn't think I should be spending my money on it and so he won't let me, and it's just infuriating to me. It's not like I'm asking him to pay for it, I just need to use his account and give him the money. I know it's stupid but I just don't like it when he controls my money. He got mad when I bought a coffee at starbucks the other day, even though I hadn't had one in months. It hurts my feelings.  We can agree on almost everything except money. 

Re: FI and money -vent-

• Options
    Why can't you open your own bank account for your spending money?
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    @lyndausvi--You beat me to the punch!
  • Options
    Because I usually only get $20 or so at a time, and it's not very often, since I haven't had the time to take it to Etsy yet. 
  • Options
    so in order to buy say groceries you have to use your "dh's" account?

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    bc+rw16 said:
    Because I usually only get $20 or so at a time, and it's not very often, since I haven't had the time to take it to Etsy yet. 

That shouldn't matter. Find a bank that doesn't have a minimum requirement for a checking account.
  • Options
    scribe95 said:
    Uh - big red lights here. BIG. Just because he's the primary bread winner doesn't make him the sole arbiter of what can be bought. Especially for small things like you are saying. 

First, you should get your own bank account or get added to FI's. Second, you should have a discussion about an amount that you can spend on your own without discussion. In my house it's $100. If I near that I run it by the husband just to double check. 

And I buy stuff on kitchen scramble occasionally. I limit it to once a month, like $5. 
    The thing I play it's like 15$ for six months, so it's not even a huge cost. FI thinks it's stupid, so he says he doesn't trust me to not spend it on my game or on starbucks. 
  • Options
    lyndausvi said:
    so in order to buy say groceries you have to use your "dh's" account?
    We both live at home right now
  • Options
    That would drive me crazy.  You guys need to be able to communicate a budget that allocates an appropriate amount of fun money that you can do whatever you would like with (same goes for him).  He should not have to control every aspect of your finances, especially when it comes to "fun money."

My husband and I have a joint account for all of our home purchases (rent, utilities, groceries, etc) and a side savings we contribute to.  Then we each have individual accounts that we can do what we please with.  As long as we make our house and saving commitments, the "fun money" allocated for that month is exactly that--for fun, no questions asked.  We own a business so we do not have a salary per say-- our pay can vary from week to week, so we first make sure we have paid into our joint and savings and then what is left over is for ourselves.  I have a little side job I pick up here and there and that money is usually just for me.  If H does a side job for someone that money is for him.   

Anniversary
  • Options
    larrygagalarrygaga member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2014
    Go back to work and send the spawn to daycare if you don't like him controlling how you spend his money. 

If he wants you to stay home but won't let you spend money, then you have a problem. Right now it just sounds fair to me.

EDIT: Don't yell at me I can't read.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I'd have a big problem with that as well. You're not a child, and you don't deserve to be treated like one. He doesn't get to decide what you spend your 'fun' money on. 

I would seriously consider getting a bank account. So many purchases are made online these days. Not to mention that as an artisan, being able to sell your items on sites like etsy can be a huge benefit. You can't do those things without at least a bank account, to say nothing of a credit card.

I'm assuming you don't have a credit card. That could be problematic for you down the road. Without good credit, you can't make a lot of large purchases. And you can't build up a good credit record without a credit card. What if something terrible happened and you found yourself being the sole breadwinner? 

• Options
    ashley8918ashley8918 member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2014
    larrygaga said: Go back to work and send the spawn to daycare if you don't like him controlling how you spend his money. 

_____________________________________________________________________ It sounds to me like the OP is talking about him controlling what she can and can't spend
    HER money (the little bit that she earns on the side) on. 

ETA: Fuck you, boxes!
  • Options
    bc+rw16 said:
    And you won't be able to take it to Etsy without some kind of account.

• Options
    bwybwy member
    First Comment Name Dropper 5 Love Its
    edited September 2014
    larrygaga said:
    Go back to work and send the spawn to daycare if you don't like him controlling how you spend his money. 

ETA: Fuck you, boxes!

-----
    Yes, I'm talking about the little bit of money that I earn myself, that's what he's trying to control. I don't say anything about the money he earns. 
  • Options
    OH. 

Then yes, darling, you have a big problem. I don't think just getting a separate bank account will stop him from being controlling, do you?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    larrygaga said:

If he wants you to stay home but won't let you spend money, then you have a problem. Right now it just sounds fair to me.
    The difference is that this is her money, that she's earned on the side. If it's hers to spend for fun, she gets to decide what's fun for her.
    eyeroll
  • Options
    larrygaga said:
    OH. 

Then yes, darling, you have a big problem. I don't think just getting a separate bank account will stop him from being controlling, do you?
    I completely agree, and that's part of why I think OP needs to get a bank account now. If his controlling nature doesn't improve (and I'd be seriously worried that it won't), OP's going to need to manage all of her finances by herself.

• Options
    larrygaga said:
    OH. 

I completely agree, and that's part of why I think OP needs to get a bank account now. If his controlling nature doesn't improve (and I'd be seriously worried that it won't), OP's going to need to manage all of her finances by herself.
    He's not controlling about everything to do with money, it's only things he doesn't like. 
  • Options
    I would agree with PPs. The fact that he is controlling of your money is a huge red flag, and could potentially lead to more severe controlling/manipulating behavior in the future. I see on your ticker that your wedding is pretty close. Are you in premarital counseling? I urge to you get on that immediately and talk through your financial (and relationship issues) with a professional. This really cannot wait. You can't enter into a marriage without a clear financial plan for both now and the future.
    imageimage">
  • Options
    What I worry about is "we can agree on almost everything except money."

Marriage is a partnership. One of the biggest legal consequences of that partnership is that your assets are combined with FI's assets. Money is a HUGE part of marriage, and one of the main reasons that many couples get divorced. You should have a say, especially if it is money you are earning on the side, even if you are not the main breadwinner. You need to talk to your FI and figure out an amount that is yours to spend at your discretion because your situation is going to get old really fast if you can't even buy a $3 coffee without clearing it by him first.
  • Options
    bc+rw16 said:
    larrygaga said:
    OH. 

He's not controlling about everything to do with money, it's only things he doesn't like. 
    Yeah... this. This is my issue. I don't necessarily like FI spending $15/month on an MMO. He probably doesn't like the amount of money I drop on books or coffee. But it is our money to do with as we so please. We are able to do it. 

Maybe he is resenting the fact that all of your money is "fun" money, but still. He doesn't get to say how you spend your money that you earned. If he wants you to be a stay at home mom and is okay taking up the bills on his own, and you earn a little on the side for "fun" things, then he doesn't get to say how you spend that money.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    bc+rw16 said:
    larrygaga said:
    OH. 

Only things he doesn't like? No that isn't controlling at all.

Seriously though I think you two need to have a come to Jesus talk and you should be getting your own bak account,.
  • Options
    bc+rw16 said:
    larrygaga said:
    OH. 

That doesn't make it any better. It's your disposable income, full stop. He doesn't get a say.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards